• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Are you generally pessimistic or optimistic?

Optimistic or Pessimistic?

• Total voters
Pessimist. By far the better of the two. Pessimists are never disappointed when things go wrong and optimists are never pleasantly surprised if they go right. :D

But wouldn't the pessimist figure that things going right is only temporary, and something bad will counteract that soon enough?

Of course, you're probably not like that, but I mean stereotypically. Or something.

The optimistic guy would probably not pay much attention to his bills, and would eventually be evicted.

lulz, you're right. It is 50/50.

Pessimist.

But is it 50% pessimistic, or 50% optimistic? :o

Regarding other people, optimistic
Regarding myself, pessimistic

Same here.

I'm kind of optimistic. Though lately I've been looking at things with a, "It's fine now, but it's going to get messed up again later. Gah." point of view. I don't like it. =( So I think I'm becoming more pessimistic.

Pessimist. By far the better of the two. Pessimists are never disappointed when things go wrong and optimists are never pleasantly surprised if they go right. :D

Pssh, are you kidding? If you're optimistic and things go right, not only do things go right, but you get to say "I told you so" to everyone!

Pssh, are you kidding? If you're optimistic and things go right, not only do things go right, but you get to say "I told you so" to everyone!

But if things go wrong, not only do things go wrong but you feel sad and disillusioned and have to put up with pessimists saying "I told you so!" to you... rather a two-edged sword, this optimist/pessimism business.

@FerrousLucario: Good point. I suppose it would depend on how pessimistic you are, really.

Yeah. I kind of doubt people would be like that most of the time, though.

I make pointless points a lot nowadays.

Anyway, I'm optimistic more often than not, so I'll vote for that.

Well, I've heard people say that if you're an optimist, and stay optimistic about thing, it will turn out good. If you're a pessimist, and act pessimistic, it won't go your way.

I never understood that. What makes good things happen if you are an optimist?

You won't take too much notice of bad things, so it'll seem like you have more good things happen to you than bad.

Plus, if you figure that it's too late, you're probably not going to keep trying to get something done. So it'll turn out bad for you because you thought that it was over.

I'm a pessimist-realist and frighteningly proud of it.

However, I recently realized something that scared me: My parents are divorced. My Dad is remarried. I'm an atheist. I have never met my best friend. We are currently having monetary troubles when normally it wouldn't have affected us. I'm a suspicious, guarded cat rescue volunteer who has seen horrible things and has lost faith in people.

Yet, if playing a game, making a bet, or doing anything that involves some amount of luck, I tend to think I have a fair chance of winning. I consider myself lucky.

CLEARLY, THIS IS A SIGN OF FATAL OPTIMISM.

Incredibly pessimistic about most things to the point that I cry fairly often.

:D

Pessimist, a passive one at that. I generally give up on myself far too early, get pissy when good things don't happen to me and feel like a screw up seventy five percent of the time. I wish that I were optimistic though. My pessimistic motto is "Shit happens, one can only take what comes, but it still sucks."

Pessimist. It's like my mind automatically goes into "worst case scenario" mode all the friggin time.

I'm optimistic in the sense that I think things can get better, but things have to suck in the first place for that to be. Eh.

Things'll get better eventually, and if they don't, I don't care because I'm dead. Can't be disappointed if your expectation timer is infinite.

Life is full of wankers, who worship a wankgod and are controlled by a wankgovernment who make you pay for wanking. Life sucks. and wanks.

So i'm.... pessimistic?
That sounds sort of childish to me for some reason. I can't explain it though.

I'm an atheist.
How is this a bad thing? >:( You "No theists in foxholes." weirdo.

Last edited:
Generally pessimistic.

I don't really expect anything out of anyone, I don't expect anything good to happen, always expecting the worst outcome.

And also, I can be rather hopeless. If things aren't going the right way, or as I planned, I sort of give up and say: "Eh... what's the point if it's not ABSOLUTELY PERFECT AND THE WAY I WANTED IT?"

Can be somewhat optimistic though, with a: "It may suck now, but eventually, it'll get better, or at least, suck less."

I'm mostly a realist, I guess - I'll always sit there and consider as many possible ways a situation can turn out and the likeliness of each of those outcomes. I consider both the best-case and the worst-case scenarios. This is actually pretty annoying, because it leads to me being indecisive and uncertain about how things are going to turn out, which causes me to be anxious and and worry about everything.

I guess I can see a little bit of both pessimism and optimism in myself. I often feel like it's safest to expect the worst and worry myself to death, so I'll be pleasantly surprised if it turns out better and not as disappointed if it doesn't; however, I'm also very future-oriented, and I generally have the attitude that even if things suck now, I'll always have an opportunity to better them in the future.

I'm pessimistic, mainly because whatever I say or do seems to result in somebody, somewhere, hating me just a little bit more. I used to be an optimist, but then I saw how stupid so many people were and grew out of it.

Back
Top Bottom