• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Grade level calculator

Autumn

bye
Pronoun
she
This thing is awesome. You put in large chunks of text and it tells you the grade level and readability of the work. I put in my earliest fanfics and it gave me a grade level 6, and my most recent fanfic gives me grade level 7.

this thing is quite fun to use.

Posted something random. I entered:

I walked down the street, and glanced to my right. There was nothing there. There was nothing to my left either. I heard a clanging noise and looked up. Someone standing on a fire escape had a pistol aimed at my head. I knew right then this would be another bad day.

It got a six.

I also entered the text above the thing. It got a ten but reading ease of only 43. lol. Even then the script itself can't understand how to use it.

The sentence 'You lost the game' gets a one, with reading ease of 97, while JUST the letter 'A' gets an eight and a reading ease of 37. wtf?

Last edited:
The entirety of My Immortal got a Level 5, with a reading ease score of 68.

What.

*inputs the first chapter of My Immortal*

I officially do not trust this thing.

technically "grade level" means "the level you have to be at to understand this work". while My Immortal may suck, the first chapter's fairly basic (and has no typos, either).

I made an edit, what's surprising me the most is the reading ease score. That's rather high.

But now I find myself addicted to this thing. D:

Uhh, I put in part of an essay I wrote for a college application and got:

Result

Method used: Flesch-Kincaid (English).

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 23.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 16.

The Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score indicates how easy a text is to read. A high score implies an easy text. In comparison comics typically score around 90 while legalese can get a score below 10.

The Flesch-Kincaid Grade level indicates the grade a person will have to have reached to be able to understand the text. E.g. a grade level of 7 means that a seventh grader will be able to understand the text.

:v?

I don't really do any creative writing though, so I can't try anything I wrote for fun.

StarKits Prophcy got a 72 for reading ease score. o.o

Okay, that's seriously messed up.

Result for the letter a:

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 8.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 37.

What the hell?

And the result for Erasure's Always:

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 23.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 16.

Okay, this thing is clearly messed up in the head.

Inserted my 8-page essay I had to write for my art appreciation class.

Grade level: 16
Reading Ease score: 29

:3

Also:

First chapter of Twilight:
Grade Level: 8
Reading Ease: 62

Compare this to an essay I wrote for college about how much Twilight sucks:
Grade Level: 13
Reading Ease: 43

Ahahahahaha

Yeeeeah, I'm thinking this thing is a tad broken.

So here I am, testing just how reliable this calculator is. To be honest, though, I can't particularly 'test' such a thing because I have no idea how the calculator works in the first place. In fact, I suppose it would be far more accurate to say that I am sitting here typing an overly-pretentious paragraph into a box on a website just to see what numbers the calculator returns after I hit the button. I don't think I have anything better to do, no.
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 13.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 39.

[a paragraph from "Nature" by Ralph Waldo Emerson, selected entirely at random]

The inhabitants of cities suppose that the country landscape is pleasant only half the year. I please myself with the graces of the winter scenery, and believe that we are as much touched by it as by the genial influences of summer. To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which shall never be seen again. The heavens change every moment, and reflect their glory or gloom on the plains beneath. The state of the crop in the surrounding farms alters the expression of the earth from week to week. The succession of native plants in the pastures and roadsides, which makes the silent clock by which time tells the summer hours, will make even the divisions of the day sensible to a keen observer. The tribes of birds and insects, like the plants punctual to their time, follow each other, and the year has room for all. By water-courses, the variety is greater. In July, the blue pontederia or pickerel-weed blooms in large beds in the shallow parts of our pleasant river, and swarms with yellow butterflies in continual motion. Art cannot rival this pomp of purple and gold. Indeed the river is a perpetual gala, and boasts each month a new ornament.
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 11.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 55.

[part of the lyrics to "love shack"]
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 18.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 35.

[the gettysburg address]
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 48.

[the pokemon theme song]
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 14.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 36.

[the digimon theme song]
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 26.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: -88.

I feel bad now. My readability is like a 38. I'm going to insert my introduction post there now.

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 9.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 58.

For one roleplay that I was apparently being really literate in. Except it died.

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 7.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 65.

Fanfic #1

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 6.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 67.

Fanfic #2 (which is way better, wtf!?)

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 7.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 64.

Prologue of IALCOTN (what how can I write better are you freaking kidding me)

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 56.

Prologue of ILCOE (even though Butterfree says IALCOTN is way better... apparently the Internet doesn't think so!)

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 8.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 57.

Latest chapter of ILCOE (I don't understaaaaand...)

Aaaaand, finally...

The word Pokemon!

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 20.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: -48.

What is this I don't even

Just for fun I put in 'willies' and got grade 8, readability 37.

Then I pasted in a work-in-progress story and got grade 11, readability 52. Woop.

Ooh, and an essay I did in Drama has grade 14. Joy.

Last edited:
Something I had to write about The Miracle Worker for English class:
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 45.
A terrible poem from eighth grade about Little Round Top:
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 10.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 54.

A book report about Looking for Alaska:
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 14.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 44.

A short essay on fractals:
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 11.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 42.

An essay comparing the two Romeo and Juliet movies:
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 43.

Echanacia. Seratonin. Melatonin. FIREBURNSSTUFF.

got Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 19.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: -36.

I looked up the system. It divides the words by the sentences for one, and the syllables by the words for the other.

Method used: Flesch-Kincaid (English).

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 49.

The Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score indicates how easy a text is to read. A high score implies an easy text. In comparison comics typically score around 90 while legalese can get a score below 10.

The Flesch-Kincaid Grade level indicates the grade a person will have to have reached to be able to understand the text. E.g. a grade level of 7 means that a seventh grader will be able to understand the text.

For this chapter of my fanfic:

Chapter One: The Calm Before the Storm

Blizzardstorm woke up from the warriors den; she had just been made a warrior a moon ago, though it should have been sooner. She started her apprentice training late because of her adopted littermate, Yellowtail…

~“Blizzardkit, why are Pebblekit and Cloudkit becoming apprentices before we do?”
“Because, Yellowkit, uh, they… are toms. Toms are stronger and therefore able to train before she-cats.”
“Why can’t it be she-cats who train first?”
“I don’t know, Yellowkit, I don’t know…”~

Blizzardstorm had really been trying to hide the truth from Yellowtail…

~“Blizzardkit, Pebblekit, Cloudkit, I know that your mother died and you already have an adopted mother, but will you allow an adopted littermate?”
“We accept all!” Blizzardkit squeaked before her littermates had a chance to.
“Whatever,” Pebblekit muttered.”
“As long as it’s not a mouse-brained fool!” Cloudkit said jokingly.”~

Yellowtail still didn’t seem like she felt included.
“Hey, Blizzardstorm!” Pebblestone called. “I was just coming to wake you up. Firestar wants me, you, and Cloudlining to go on dawn patrol!”
“That’s nice, but… what about Yellowtail?”
“I suppose you could ask Firestar…” Pebblestone said in a rejecting tone.
“I’m going right now then!” Blizzardstorm said cheerfully, ignoring the tone of voice Pebblestone used.

She walked around to find Firestar, quickening her pace when she found him.
“Firestar, do you mind if we take Yellowtail with us for the dawn patrol?
“Sure! And also, Blizzardstorm, I was thinking you’re ready for your first apprentice…”
“Really?”
“Yes, really. Poppyflower’s kits are just about ready for their apprentice training…”
“That would be great!” Blizzardstorm just adored Poppyflower’s kits, especially Foxkit. He was the bounciest out of the three, and you could tell the fine makings of a warrior in him. He chased the leaves that were blowing around, and his technique was already good for just a kit.
“Okay, I’ll go find Yellowtail now!” She said, barely holding her excitement in.
“Hey, Yellowtail!” she said, peering into the warriors den. “Still sleeping?”
“Yes,” she said, her word muffled by her fur. She stood up and stretched. What is it?” she asked before going to groom her fur.
“You want to come on dawn patrol with me, Pebblestone, and Cloudlining?”
“Sure, why not?” she asked in an obviously bored tone. Sometimes she was hard to get along with.

After we were done with the dawn patrol, we were caught by surprise.
“All cats old enough to catch their own prey come to the Highrock for a Clan meeting!” Blizzardstorm knew it was going to happen, but… so soon? She padded over, taking her normal place under the Highrock in the warriors area by her littermates. “Today, we have three kits ready to become apprentices!” Blizzardstorm looked over at Poppyflower; all three of her kits were neatly groomed, their pelts glossy in the sunlight. “Foxkit, do you promise to train and learn with all of your mind and soul?”
“Yes.”
“Then under the watchful eyes of Starclan I give you your apprentice name, Foxpaw. Blizzardstorm, you are ready for your first apprentice; do you promise to train this young cat with all you have learned from your own mentor?”
“I promise.” Blizzardstorm replied, surprisingly serious.
“Then under the watchful eyes of Starclan, I give you Foxpaw as your apprentice. Train him well.”

The ceremony for Foxpaw’s littermates, Badgerpaw and Herbpaw, were held in the same matter, each apprenticed to Pebblestone and Cloudlining.
“Yellowtail, why do you look so unhappy?” Blizzardstorm asked after noticing Yellowstar looked uncomforted.
“Because you three got apprentices and I didn’t! Why am I always the one left out?”
“Yellowtail, it-” That’s as far as Blizzardstorm got before Yellowtail darted away.

EDIT: "Hi" gets -3.

Back
Top Bottom