• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it.
The last one died, got sent to page 2 where it will never return.

Anyways new season starts April 23rd, both in the UK and on BBCA. (this makes Phantom happy) And the first episode was the first ever to be filmed in the US... In Utah actually... And yes I almost went to Utah. :D

The episode takes place in '60's America, and already seems to have shown that once again River Song will be returning.... and the Doctor in the Oval Office? O_o

I get a lot of Doctor Who news, as you might be able to tell. So I might be posting here a bit.

Favorite Doctor?

Last edited:
WELL please don't post too many spoilers, DW is one of the few shows I'm a huge fan of but manage to watch spoiler-free each week.

As for favourite doctor! I find it an impossible question to answer, honestly. I haven't seen all of them, sadly, only the revival doctors, but I love all the ones I've seen to pieces. They're all such brilliant actors and such brilliant takes on the character, and each time I watch each one, I'm positive that that's my favourite, definitely. And then I watch another doctor, and no, they're my favourite. But god, Christopher Ecclestein is SO GOOD and then there's David Tennant, and of course Matt Smith! Oh god they're all so brilliant. Dx The writing of the show itself, is just, it allows for their acting to show to its fullest. And I love them all so so much. <3

JOINAGE JOINAGE JOINAGE JOINAGE

My favorite Doctor would either have to be William Hartnell, Christopher Ecclestein, David Tennant, or Matt Smith. Hartnell is just a grumpy old man traveling around with his granddaughter, not to mention that you gotta stick to the originals; Ecclestein.. well... he's pretty freakin' awesome and attractive; Everybody knows Tennant, and it's just so easy to picture him as the Doctor; and Smith is just smokin'. Probably the best-looking Doctor so far.

I know he's the most well known and all that but Tom Baker is my favourite easily.

Those staring eyes of his... and there's just so many of his episodes that I love.

*casually joins*

I only started watching at Series 3, and I've watched a few of the first two series since the revival, but none of the original series. Favourite Doctor would have to be Matt Smith. I'm like the only person I know who prefers him to David Tennant.

Favourite Doctor would have to be Matt Smith. I'm like the only person I know who prefers him to David Tennant.

Everyone I know thinks I'm trolling when I say that David Tennant is my least favourite (new series) Doctor. They ask how I could possibly like Christopher Eccleston, since he's apparently too angry for the Doctor, and I just think that David Tennant has rubbed off too much on them giving them an impression of what the Doctor should be.

He's not a bad actor though. It's a shame that a lot of his talent was wasted on poor writing.

Actually, I think Ten is my least favourite new Doctor, too. Nine is fantastic, had some amazing episodes and generally brought back the series with such a bomb, and then Eleven has been wonderful and perhaps a bit more true to who the Doctor is than Ten was.

And yes, I haven't forgiven Ten for
what he did to Harriet Jones
or
Donna, for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, I do love him, I just don't understand "I can't watch it without David Tennant" people.

My favourite Doctor is Sarah Jane, who should totally count. She has her own companions, and a show that's more like Old Who than NuWho is. <3

Failing that, I'd go with Nine, Four or Eleven. I haven't seen a lot of the Classic series, though.

I can't WAIT for series 6! :DDD

Obligatory join.

I know it will probably sound like the sort of NEW STUFF BANDWAGON jumping that is generally frowned upon, but I really do think my favourite Doctor is the eleventh. Granted, I've not seen a lot of the old series, and what I HAVE seen of Tom Baker especially is marvellous, but Matt Smith's character just has a... Thing about him. The sort of eccentricity and quirk that Tennant never quite got (But he was also wonderful!).

DT is one of my favorites, he's got the eyes that stare into nothingness and make it look uber intense.

I won't post too many spoilers. :D

Last edited:
Doctor Who news update. The first episode of the new season will be airing both in the UK and BBC America April 23rd, and will be a two part episode

Descriptions of first episode SPOLIER ALERT

Episode 1: The Impossible Astronaut
Four envelopes, numbered 2, 3 and 4, each containing a date, time and map reference, unsigned, but TARDIS blue. Who sent them? And who received the missing number one? This strange summons reunites the Doctor, Amy, Rory and River Song in the middle of the Utah desert and unveils a terrible secret the Doctor's friends must never reveal to him.

Placing his life entirely in their hands, the Doctor agrees to search for the recipient of the fourth envelope - just who is Canton Everett Delaware the Third? And what is the relevance of their only other clue: 'Space 1969'? Their quest lands them - quite literally - in the Oval Office, where they are enlisted by President Nixon himself to assist enigmatic former-FBI agent Canton, in saving a terrified little girl from a mysterious spaceman.

This person draws a lot of Who. And some ponies. (And some pokemons.) Look:

tumblr_lj5ou9g7761qdyc0to1_400.jpg

tumblr_lhtz8qMITB1qdyc0to1_400.jpg

I heart them. :D

I have only watched the series with the eleventh doctor... my boyfriend got me into it (while he got into it through his brother). I love Matt Smith...though I do love Rory more (I think its cuz he reminds me of my boyfriend though...).

I loved the comic relief thing. XD Rory being a perv made me laugh.

CAN'T WAIT FOR NEW SERIES PLEASE BE SOON.

I'm going to the States in a few days, which involves an 8-hour flight each way, plus a crapload of driving (NY to NC and back), and because I get motionsick I bought a few Doctor Who audiobooks off eBay to put on my MP3 player and keep me amused. And then I discovered that my local library (which is the size of a cupboard and yet has its own Doctor Who section <3) not only has loads of Who-related audiobooks, but you can borrow them for free! :D
I got bored on my 7-hour coach trip from uni to home, so I listened to a couple and I can report that a) Elizabeth Sladen is a fantastic narrator (she reads the SJA audiobooks, of which I now have four), and b) Matt Smith can do some amazing American and Scottish accents (demonstrated on The Runaway Train).

Has anyone heard any of the Big Finish audio dramas? I really want to check them out, but they're really expensive, and my computer/internet is too rubbish to download them ):

Pathos, those Who pictures are fantastic :D

Haven't seen much of Nine, and he's my least favorite of the three, but that's only because I really like Ten and Eleven. I've seen a few of his episodes (I came into the series in the Ten/ant era and they're generally quite good.

Favorite Doctor: Ten by a small nose. Might change to a (bow)tie with the new season.

Favorite Companion: Donna, followed closely by Martha. Rose was alright but she seems a bit snobbish. Rory is a bit bland and Amy is really cool but she's been beaten to the category of 'awesome redheaded companion', sadly.

Favorite Episodes: Hmm. I like the Shakespeare one because it was one of my first and because of the HP references. I also like the french robot Madame Pompadour one and the one with Eleven as that guy's roommate.

Oh, and 'Midnight' was amazing. 'Love and Monsters' was really creepy towards the end.

also some fanart I found

should really be working now don't start talking Who don't start don't start

Heyyy! :D

Favourite Doctor is tricky - much as I think David Tennant's acting is really very good... scratch that. All of the three most recent Doctors have been really very good actors, but character-wise - I don't know, I just loved Christopher Eccleston. It was his mad enthusiasm which brought the show back as a hit and I can't help but love him for that. I think Matt Smith is getting better as he goes along, but I liked him from the outset (The Eleventh Hour <3) and it makes me sad that people hate on him for not being David Tennant. :c

Favourite companion argrhrgedjfd I have no idea. I actually like Amy a lot. She's brave and smart and a little bit mad, almost Doctorish but still very human. Martha was good too - I liked that she was a bit more on the ball with problem solving than Rose, who did tend to have a habit of getting herself into situations she needed rescuing from. Donna was hilarious and the end of her series never fails to be completely gutting.

Favourite episode is equally difficult. 'Blink' gets an honorable mention for scaring me half to death while still being very clever and funny ('You live in Scooby Doo's house'); 'Vincent and the Doctor' was excellent on several levels, and I loved 'Dalek' back in series one. Daleks were scarier before they got used, er, quite a lot. And then turned into Power Rangers.

The new series looks scary as really cool, I'm waaay excited about it. Especially the Ood. I adore them for reasons I am not quite sure of.

oops

My eyes got a little blurry at the end of 'Vincent and the Doctor'! It was so amazingly nice of the Doctor to do that for him, honestly.

And the scene with the stars.

Favourite companion is easily Sarah Jane :D But from the new series I love Donna most. I can't remember who said it, but "it's like he's her 900+ year old little brother" and it's so true and I adore their relationship. The bit where they meet back up again is beaten in cuteness only by SJ and the Doctor meeting up again (oh god, I came so close to happytears at that bit).

Favourite episode? I lovelovelove School Reunion (Elisabeth Sladen and Anthony Head cancel out the rather rubbish plot), Blink and The Empty Child two-parter were fantastic, I always love finales where all the good guys work together to save the day, so I loved the S4 ending (but not the final ten minutes) and I have a massive soft spot for The Unicorn and the Wasp. I know nobody else likes it, but I adored all the Agatha Christie references (They Do It With Mirrors! Sparking Cyanide! Cards on the Table!), Fenella Woolgar is brilliant (I loved her in Jekyll), Agatha is every bit as awesome as she should be, and the whole Cluedo-murder-mystery thing really appealed to my crime fiction loving side. And yes, there was a giant wasp that a woman fell in love with, but we had the Doctor's detox scene, with lines like "How is Harvey Wallbanger one word?!" and we got to see the 'C' section of the Tardis' artifact section, so it wins. :D

I love almost every episode, there are none I don't like.... except End of Time cause they killed my Doctor. If I have to pick one from the new series I didn't like it would be "Waters of Mars" and "Planet of the Dead" especially the last one, it didn't seem to fit in the story at all.

Dannichu what part of the US you coming to? And oh the detox scene, especially since she kissed him after he just shoved down a rather large amount of anchovies.

Favorite Doctors? In order... I think...

10, 11, 5, 4, 9, 8, 2, 1, 7, 3, 6.

All I know is there better be some Ice Warriors and Demons in this new season, and the Master as well. It's about time for the Master...

Last edited:
Aww, I didn't like Planet of the Dead much (nothing really seemed to happen), but I loved Waters of Mars because it a) gave us Adelaide, who is unquestionably one of the best single-episode characters in Who canon (in my mind, she, Sarah Jane, Harriet Jones and Mrs. Moore have monthly Awesome Middle-Aged Women meetings), and b) it addressed a bunch of issues about the Doctor saving some people when he goes back in time, but not others. Of course, it asks more questions than it answers, but props to the writers for giving it a go. And it's so SAD. ;;

My least favourite episode is easily Love and Monsters. I've seen some of the old episodes where hours can pass with literally nothing happening, but they're still less painful than Peter Kay as a man-eating blob. And the series 3 finale wasn't bad as much as it was very, very disappointing.

The detox scene might actually be the funniest scene in Who history. I'm so happy Catherine Tate got a proper chance to show what a good comedian she is, and the dialogue is just brilliant:

Doctor: Salt! I was miming salt! I need salt! I need something salty!
Donna: What about this?
Doctor: What is it?
Donna: Salt!
Doctor: That's too salty!
Donna: Oh, that's too salty!

So good XD

I'm only in the US for nine days, in which I'm going from New York down to North Carolina and back again. I'm going with my best friend's family - my friend is studying out there and I haven't seen her in ages. One day, when I have lots of money, I'm going to do a proper tour of the US and visit all the USians on here who'll have me :D

It'd be nice to see The Master again! I can imagine John Simm-Matt Smith interaction being hilarious. I sort of hope they leave the Daleks alone, though. Like Kinova said, they're like pantomime villains now, which is a shame because they used to be so scary, both in the old episodes, and then again in Dalek. But by the S4 finale, when Captain Jack and Sarah Jane are hugging their respective companions goodbye because a Dalek invasion spells certain death, it's a lot harder to take the situation seriously, especially when you've seen Daleks being taken out by a bloody robot version of Anne Robinson.

Back
Top Bottom