• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Time to TRAIN some people.

Format: 3v3 single
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOes, Direct Recovery moves, Substitute, Sleep-inducing moves
Jerome the Swablu said he has leftover pizza and can’t finish it. In fact, he has exactly enough pizza to share with one(1) Pokemon. Jerome lives really far away though, so you’ll have to take the train. Jerome’s train.

The train is composed of seven carriages, at the end of every round the unruly passengers (unruly because you keep attacking things near them and oh my god you nearly hit a baby you monster) will attempt to shove you off to another carriage. The two battlers’ health and energy will be averaged (as in total health + total energy then divided by 4) and a random number between 1 and 60 added to it. If Pokemon’s total is greather than the passenger’s specified totals then they get to stay in the carriage.

The seven carriages and their passengers are:

Blue: The economy carriage, right at the back with the bathroom right freaking there. Everyone one here is kind of timid and doesn’t really want to speak out because maybe they can just stomach it before they get there. Of course, there are some who stand out from the pack. 50% chance that the passengers will have a 45 removal total, but a 50% chance they’ll have an 85 removal total.

Purple: The aristocracy lounge here. Well, that’s what they think. The carriage is populated by a group of people who willfully suspend the belief (high above their heads, in fact) that they are indeed the uppermost of the upper class. This is not true, but their rented suits for a train journey will not deter them. Passengers here will not tolerate any indecency, but are normally tolerant of plebian games. They have a 60 removal total that goes up for any loud or unruly move that is used. Just as well, because while they’re tolerant, they’re very much fakely so. They hold themselves so highly that all Pokemon in the carriage gain the Flying type in addition to all other types.

Green: The train’s greenhouse. Jerome actually has it powered by PLANT POWER, and when he says plant power he means they’re just electrical wires in the shape of plants hooked up to the engine. That’s not to say Jerome didn’t go all out. The room is rife with dangerous fake plants and their plasticy, oily stench. There’s a 40% chance that a Venus Wire-trap will fix itself on a battler at random, preventing the use of all physical moves. The battler may spend an action attempting to tear off the Wire-Trap. There is also a 40% chance that instead of a Wire-Trap, a Sun-Flower will emerge and soak up all special moves for the round, and can be destroyed using an action. This arena effect is calculated as soon as the battlers exit the previous carriage, and is told to the trainers before they give their commands for the round taking place in the Green carriage. The power plants have a 60 removal total. However, on every re-entry into the room, both the individual chances for the plants to hinder a battler and the removal total will go down by 10.

Orange: All the children are kept here. Every round spent in this cabin deals 5% typeless damage to each Pokemon present. There is also a 15% chance on each action that the Pokemon will be unable to perform its move because THAT UNATTENDED BABY IS OPENING A WINDOW. Upon leaving the carriage, the trainers will be absolutely pooped, and the Pokemon will get random orders for their next action. Passengers here love Pokemon, a lot, any kind, and have a 90 removal total.

White: This room is blindingly white. Like really, really white. All battler’s suffer a -1 Accuracy penalty. All trainers also have a 30% chance on each action to point their command at the wrong Pokemon on the field(i.e their opponent’s). If given their opponent’s order, the Pokemon will be considered to have access to the ordered move for that action. The room is empty but the doors are painted white, so they have a 70 removal total.

Violet: This is the carriage of true aristocracy. So true that they aren’t actually here because what kind of respectful filthy-richer would ride on a train? Disgusting. All that’s in this room is a really big jet made of solid gold, one of the spares of a regular train rider (but don’t tell his friends). This room is very cramped and any moves that don’t require the user to be a meter from their target will fail. It’s kind of hard to get out of this room, so battlers will stay in it for two rounds.

Black: It’s the train driver’s birthday party! He’s an old coot so he has a lot of friends in his lifetime, most of them being passengers. The room is absolutely brimming with people, all of them wearing conductors’ hats. Pokemon start on top of one of each of the people’s hats and have to jump about between the gaps in the throng, lest they fall in and take 5% typeless damage and are shoved grumpily back to the top. At the end of the round the party ends and everyone returns to their cabins, so the Pokemon are forced out no matter what.

The Roof: WHY ARE WE UP HERE OH GOD. HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE BECAUSE A ROUND IS ONLY TWO ACTIONS OVER HERE. THE REMOVAL TOTAL IS 80, AND IF THE POKEMON FAIL THE REMOVAL ROLL THEN THEY TAKE 10% TYPELESS DAMAGE EACH. AAAAAAAH.

The battlers will begin the battle in a random carriage (except the roof).

Note: I will be using Prickles the Cacnea as my first Pokemon, and he just happens to have a recently approved Signature Attribute (No connection, of course.) So I'd like and hope and dream and wish that whoever accepts this battle doesn't choose a Pokemon who has a STAB type advantage on the ol' pumpkin cactus. The best would be one where we're both on even terms.

Oh oh, me me!

I'll take a nice and simple battle to get back into the swing of reffing. Meursault vs Lord of the Fireflies, may I take thee for a dance?

a challenge for Byrus, to test a lil hypothesis i have. he can change the arena if he's got one he'd rather use. :v

Format: 1v1 single
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned moves: direct recovery, OHKO, Light Screen, Reflect, moves will not inflict confusion.
Arena: Laboratory Hallway

What better place to test a hypothesis than the hallways of a high-tech laboratory? The hall is about 2 meters wide with a ceiling 3 meters high, with sterile white tile floors and smooth metal walls. Large glass windows peer into dark rooms full of equipment for who knows what purpose, next to doors with the words "RESTRICTED ACCESS" printed in red next to keycard switches.
Other rules: Byrus will use his Vanillite, Billy Kincaid, and I will use my Seedot, Dietrich.

Last edited:
a challenge for Byrus, to test a lil hypothesis i have. he can change the arena if he's got one he'd rather use. :v

Format: 1v1 single
Banned moves: direct recovery, OHKO, Light Screen, Reflect, moves will not inflict confusion.
Arena: Laboratory Hallway

What better place to test a hypothesis than the hallways of a high-tech laboratory? The hall is about 2 meters wide with a ceiling 3 meters high, with sterile white tile floors and smooth metal walls. Large glass windows peer into dark rooms full of equipment for who knows what purpose, next to doors with the words "RESTRICTED ACCESS" printed in red next to keycard switches.
Other rules: Byrus will use his Vanillite, Billy Kincaid, and I will use my Seedot, Dietrich.

Sounds good. Accepted!

So, let's get some more normalish battles going.

Format: 2v2 single
DQ: 7 Days
Banned moves: Direct Recovery, Pain Split, OHKOes, Super Fang, Substitute, Attract, moves cannot inflict confusion
Arena: WALRUS

YOU ARE BATTLING ON TOP OF A WALREIN. THIS WALREIN IS VERY LARGE (DON'T SNEER, IT HAS FEELINGS TOO). VERY LARGE. WHEN YOU FIRST ARRIVED YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE AT THE BOTTOM OF A VERY BLUE CANYON. A CANYON SO MASSIVE IT HAD TO HAVE TAKEN EONS OF TORRENTOUS WAVES TO CARVE IT FROM THE BLUE EARTH, SO LARGE THAT IT HAD LOCAL CLOUDS (DANDRUFF). REALLY IT IS IDENTICAL IN FUNCTION TO AN ARENA WITH A BLUE FLOOR, WITH THE EXCEPTION THAT ANY MOVE THAT SHAKES THE GROUND SUFFICIENTLY WILL CAUSE MURMURS OF INDISTINGUISHABLE PLEASURE TO ESCAPE THE WALREIN RECEIVING A BACKRUB.

YOU CAN DRAW WATER OUT OF THE WALREIN'S PORES TO FACILITATE THE USE OF WATER-BASED MOVES. DON'T ASK, THOUGH, IT'S SAFER THAT WAY. MOVES THAT REQUIRE THE USE OF STONES AND SUCH WILL USE BITS OF GRIME AND DIRT LODGED IN BETWEEN THE WALREIN'S BRILLIANT BLUE BULBS OF SKIN. THE WALREIN CANNOT WASH EVERY PORTION OF ITS MAJESTY PROPERLY BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE HANDS.

Other: When giving commands, trainers must logically (or at least semi-logically) fit the word WALRUS into their commands, description, etc. If they cannot, then they and their Pokemon will receive 5% typeless damage that ignores the damage cap.

The Walrein will also suffer 5% emotional damage, with a 20% chance of feeling unloved. If the Walrein feels unloved, nothing will happen, it has lead a hard life as a gigantic walrus. The Walrein cannot faint from emotional damage (considering real moves targetting it will result in elated purring) as it has lead a hard life as a gigantic walrus and learnt to ignore every insult hurled at it, mainly because it cannot hear them due to being a gigantic walrus.

look i know i said normal but dood i wanna battle on a walrus

So, let's get some more normalish battles going.

Format: 2v2 single
DQ: 7 Days
Banned moves: Direct Recovery, Pain Split, OHKOes, Super Fang, Substitute, Attract, moves cannot inflict confusion
Arena: WALRUS

YOU ARE BATTLING ON TOP OF A WALREIN. THIS WALREIN IS VERY LARGE (DON'T SNEER, IT HAS FEELINGS TOO). VERY LARGE. WHEN YOU FIRST ARRIVED YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE AT THE BOTTOM OF A VERY BLUE CANYON. A CANYON SO MASSIVE IT HAD TO HAVE TAKEN EONS OF TORRENTOUS WAVES TO CARVE IT FROM THE BLUE EARTH, SO LARGE THAT IT HAD LOCAL CLOUDS (DANDRUFF). REALLY IT IS IDENTICAL IN FUNCTION TO AN ARENA WITH A BLUE FLOOR, WITH THE EXCEPTION THAT ANY MOVE THAT SHAKES THE GROUND SUFFICIENTLY WILL CAUSE MURMURS OF INDISTINGUISHABLE PLEASURE TO ESCAPE THE WALREIN RECEIVING A BACKRUB.

YOU CAN DRAW WATER OUT OF THE WALREIN'S PORES TO FACILITATE THE USE OF WATER-BASED MOVES. DON'T ASK, THOUGH, IT'S SAFER THAT WAY. MOVES THAT REQUIRE THE USE OF STONES AND SUCH WILL USE BITS OF GRIME AND DIRT LODGED IN BETWEEN THE WALREIN'S BRILLIANT BLUE BULBS OF SKIN. THE WALREIN CANNOT WASH EVERY PORTION OF ITS MAJESTY PROPERLY BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE HANDS.

Other: When giving commands, trainers must logically (or at least semi-logically) fit the word WALRUS into their commands, description, etc. If they cannot, then they and their Pokemon will receive 5% typeless damage that ignores the damage cap.

The Walrein will also suffer 5% emotional damage, with a 20% chance of feeling unloved. If the Walrein feels unloved, nothing will happen, it has lead a hard life as a gigantic walrus. The Walrein cannot faint from emotional damage (considering real moves targetting it will result in elated purring) as it has lead a hard life as a gigantic walrus and learnt to ignore every insult hurled at it, mainly because it cannot hear them due to being a gigantic walrus.

look i know i said normal but dood i wanna battle on a walrus
yes please sign me up

A challenge for Keldeo, TruetoCheese, and JackPK!

Format: 3v3v3v3 single
Style: Set
Damage Cap: none
Banned/Restricted Moves: direct healing, Pain Split, Safety Goggles
Arena Description: Jerome's Acidic Quest for Evolution (combination of three arenas, originally by Kratos Aurion, Sangfroidish, and TruetoCheese)

The ref warned them about Pursuit, bro! He told ‘em dog! You just don’t do that in the Communication Club Colosseum, man, not when it’s frickin’ hailing inside. But nooo, the last trainers to battle in here just had to mess around, the arena’s weather generators are broken like whoa and now the next trainers and ref have to deal with the meteorologist’s nightmare they’ve left behind.

The Communication Club Colosseum itself is a standard enclosed arena, empty and large enough to accomodate any pokémon comfortably on its sturdy metal floor. For reasons known only to the mysterious techie wizards who designed the room, it is still possible to use just about any attack in here—rocks and surges of water appear out of nowhere when an attack calls for them, and the floor can be tunneled through and will repair itself after the match. No sense letting physics or lack or resources get in the way of a good ‘n wild battle, after all.

This freedom of attack use would normally also apply to weather moves, the room’s artificial weather generators providing bright light, stiff breezes and precipitation of all stripes whenever needed. The techie wizards have no explanation for the way the generators react when the move Pursuit is used while they’re active, however, and thanks to the previous occupants’ shenanigans they’re now on the fritz something serious. Bright lights shine, rain and hail drive down and a sandstorm tears across the room, effectively causing the effects of Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Hail and Sandstorm to remain active all at once. There’ll be no turning them off for a while, either, and they refuse to respond to any new weather commands, so the barrage of anomalous weather remains in place indefinitely and can’t be canceled or replaced by using a weather move (or additional use of Pursuit, for that matter, which will function normally). The intense weather assailing the battlers from all directions causes them a great deal of pain, shearing 10% health/round off of any Pokémon that is not completely immune to any and all weather damage and 7% off of Pokémon with a partial immunity. It is also quite difficult to see what’s going on through all the roiling rainhailsandsun, and all moves, save for never-miss moves and self- or field-targeting moves, suffer a 10% accuracy drop.

In addition, at the end of every round, the wacky weather magic will turn each battler into a random Pokemon — legendaries included. Typing, movepool, and ability (randomly generated, if applicable) will all change to that of the new form, while gender, status effects, and stat changes will remain the same; if a burned Pokemon turns into a Fire type, a poisoned Pokemon turns into a Poison or Steel type, or a paralyzed Pokemon turns into an Electric type, those effects will disappear.

Finally, at the end of every round that the battle is not on the FRICKIN ROOF, there is a 50% chance that the battle will trigger the Colosseum's movement simulators, effectively moving it onto the club's FRICKIN ROOF. WHY ARE WE UP HERE OH GOD. HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE BECAUSE THE WEATHER'S EFFECTS ARE INCREASED (WHY) AND THE SUNRAINHAILSAND DEALS 2% MORE DAMAGE A ROUND THAN NORMAL. THE TRAINER'S COMMANDS ARE HORRIBLY GARBLED BY THE NOISE ON THE FRICKIN ROOF. AFTER EVERY ROUND ON THE FRICKIN ROOF ALL POKEMON TAKE 8% TYPELESS DAMAGE AND FALL BACK TO THE NORMAL ARENA. AAAAAAAH. (The battle starts in the normal arena.)

• Sand, hail, rain, and sun are all in effect at once. This deals 10% damage per round to all Pokemon, except those with an immunity to sand and/or hail damage, who take 7% a round
  • Due to the weather, there is a blanket 10% accuracy drop (15% if on the roof) to all but never-miss, self-targeting, and arena-targeting moves
  • At the end of every round each battler turns into a random Pokemon; type, movepool, and ability all change, but status effects, stat changes, and gender stay the same
  • At the end of every normal round (the battle starts normally), there is a 40% chance that the battle will move to the FRICKIN ROOF, where certain effects (see below) are increased and the round's weather damage increases by 2%. After every round on the FRICKIN ROOF, both battlers take 8% typeless damage and move back to the normal arena.
  • Water- and Fire-type moves do not have their damage modified by the weather (no boosts or penalties)
  • Blizzard, Hurricane and Thunder all have 100% accuracy (but are affected by the blanket 10% accuracy drop)
  • Solar Beam can be used instantly without any additional energy cost and does not have reduced base power
  • Rock-types have their special defense increased by the sandstorm
  • Pokémon with Chlorophyll, Harvest, Hydration, Leaf Guard, Sand Force, Sand Rush and Swift Swim have their abilities activated
  • Pokémon with Solar Power have boosted special attack and take sun damage each round as normal
  • Pokémon with Dry Skin do not get healed by or take extra damage from their ability (they still take the blanket damage per round)
  • Pokémon with Ice Body or Rain Dish get healed by their ability, then take the usual weather damage
  • Cherrim alternates between its sunshine and overcast forms at the beginning of each round (ref determines starting form at random)
  • Castform randomly changes between its rain, sun and hail forms at the beginning of each round (at the beginning of each action if on the roof)
  • Weather Ball is always at 100 base power (150 on the roof) and its type is randomly (re)determined to be Fire, Water, Ice or Rock each time it is used
  • Growth raises attack and special attack by 2 with each use (3 on the roof)
  • pending Keldeo's approval: while on the roof, one word of each attack name ordered must be intentionally garbled out in some way. the command the Pokémon tries to execute will be randomly selected from every possible move fitting that criteria (e.g. if I ordered "LEECH L̴̐͒͊͆ͬ͑̀̌͗̇͋͑̇̆͘҉҉̣͎̙̱̻̬̖̹Į̢͓̹͖͚̠̝͖̦̹̥̠̩͖͈͇͍̣̓ͮͩ͛̐̅̽̀ͩ̉͐̏̌̈ͥ͋F̨̹͍̦̝͎̤̹͈̮͆͋̃͐͋̃̾͑̒̃̀̃͊ͣ̂ͭ͒͘ͅE̸̢̡̩̬̫̜͉̝̯̗̮͔̞̫ͮ͂̅͒̐͂̿͆̓͠", my Pokémon would randomly try to use one of Leech Life or Leech Seed, with the action failing if it doesn't know the move it picks. the ref can find these moves by searching up, for example, "leech *" on veekun). if the ordered attack name is only one word, the entire name must be garbled out and the Pokémon will attempt to execute any move at all at random (use a metronome generator for this).

(changes from last time: now a four-way, no damage cap, no banned moves, increased chance of battling on the FRICKIN' ROOF from 40% to 50%. suggest more if you want! maybe we can change this to a 2v2v2v2 for slightly less ridiculous, but that would be sad.)

edit: actually let's ban direct healing and Pain Split, I forgot about those.
edit 2: banning the held item Safety Goggles after VM reminded me of its existence. I guess Overcoat and such can still work as you're only going to have them for a round anyway, and let's just... ignore Cloud Nine and Air Lock lmao

Last edited:

Banned/Restricted Moves: none
Arena Description: Jerome's Acidic Quest for Evolution (combination of three arenas, originally by Kratos Aurion, Sangfroidish, and TruetoCheese)

The ref warned them about Pursuit, bro! He told ‘em dog! You just don’t do that in the Communication Club Colosseum, man, not when it’s frickin’ hailing inside. But nooo, the last trainers to battle in here just had to mess around, the arena’s weather generators are broken like whoa and now the next trainers and ref have to deal with the meteorologist’s nightmare they’ve left behind.

The Communication Club Colosseum itself is a standard enclosed arena, empty and large enough to accomodate any pokémon comfortably on its sturdy metal floor. For reasons known only to the mysterious techie wizards who designed the room, it is still possible to use just about any attack in here—rocks and surges of water appear out of nowhere when an attack calls for them, and the floor can be tunneled through and will repair itself after the match. No sense letting physics or lack or resources get in the way of a good ‘n wild battle, after all.

This freedom of attack use would normally also apply to weather moves, the room’s artificial weather generators providing bright light, stiff breezes and precipitation of all stripes whenever needed. The techie wizards have no explanation for the way the generators react when the move Pursuit is used while they’re active, however, and thanks to the previous occupants’ shenanigans they’re now on the fritz something serious. Bright lights shine, rain and hail drive down and a sandstorm tears across the room, effectively causing the effects of Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Hail and Sandstorm to remain active all at once. There’ll be no turning them off for a while, either, and they refuse to respond to any new weather commands, so the barrage of anomalous weather remains in place indefinitely and can’t be canceled or replaced by using a weather move (or additional use of Pursuit, for that matter, which will function normally). The intense weather assailing the battlers from all directions causes them a great deal of pain, shearing 10% health/round off of any Pokémon that is not completely immune to any and all weather damage and 7% off of Pokémon with a partial immunity. It is also quite difficult to see what’s going on through all the roiling rainhailsandsun, and all moves, save for never-miss moves and self- or field-targeting moves, suffer a 10% accuracy drop.

In addition, at the end of every round, the wacky weather magic will turn each battler into a random Pokemon — legendaries included. Typing, movepool, and ability (randomly generated, if applicable) will all change to that of the new form, while gender, status effects, and stat changes will remain the same; if a burned Pokemon turns into a Fire type, a poisoned Pokemon turns into a Poison or Steel type, or a paralyzed Pokemon turns into an Electric type, those effects will disappear.

Finally, at the end of every round that the battle is not on the FRICKIN ROOF, there is a 50% chance that the battle will trigger the Colosseum's movement simulators, effectively moving it onto the club's FRICKIN ROOF. WHY ARE WE UP HERE OH GOD. HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE BECAUSE THE WEATHER'S EFFECTS ARE INCREASED (WHY) AND THE SUNRAINHAILSAND DEALS 2% MORE DAMAGE A ROUND THAN NORMAL. AFTER EVERY ROUND ON THE FRICKIN ROOF ALL POKEMON TAKE 8% TYPELESS DAMAGE AND FALL BACK TO THE NORMAL ARENA. AAAAAAAH. (The battle starts in the normal arena.)

[hide=tl;dr list of arena effects, and clarification of possible conflicts]
  • Sand, hail, rain, and sun are all in effect at once. This deals 10% damage per round to all Pokemon, except those with an immunity to sand and/or hail damage, who take 7% a round
  • Due to the weather, there is a blanket 10% accuracy drop (15% if on the roof) to all but never-miss, self-targeting, and arena-targeting moves
  • At the end of every round each battler turns into a random Pokemon; type, movepool, and ability all change, but status effects, stat changes, and gender stay the same
  • At the end of every normal round (the battle starts normally), there is a 40% chance that the battle will move to the FRICKIN ROOF, where certain effects (see below) are increased and the round's weather damage increases by 2%. After every round on the FRICKIN ROOF, both battlers take 8% typeless damage and move back to the normal arena.
  • Water- and Fire-type moves do not have their damage modified by the weather (no boosts or penalties)
  • Blizzard, Hurricane and Thunder all have 100% accuracy (but are affected by the blanket 10% accuracy drop)
  • Solar Beam can be used instantly without any additional energy cost and does not have reduced base power
  • Pokémon with Chlorophyll, Harvest, Hydration, Leaf Guard, Sand Force, Sand Rush and Swift Swim have their abilities activated
  • Pokémon with Solar Power have boosted special attack and take sun damage each round as normal
  • Pokémon with Dry Skin do not get healed by or take extra damage from their ability (they still take the blanket damage per round)
  • Pokémon with Ice Body or Rain Dish get healed by their ability, then take the usual weather damage
  • Cherrim alternates between its sunshine and overcast forms at the beginning of each round (ref determines starting form at random)
  • Castform randomly changes between its rain, sun and hail forms at the beginning of each round (at the beginning of each action if on the roof)
  • Weather Ball is always at 100 base power (150 on the roof) and its type is randomly (re)determined to be Fire, Water, Ice or Rock each time it is used
[/hide]

(changes from last time: now a four-way, no damage cap, no banned moves, increased chance of battling on the FRICKIN' ROOF from 40% to 50%. suggest more if you want! maybe we can change this to a 2v2v2v2 for slightly less ridiculous, but that would be sad.)

DUDE YEAAAAAAAH. ALSO HOW ABOUT...HAVING TRICK ROOM IN EFFECT EVERY ALTERNATE ROUND?

Banned/Restricted Moves: direct healing, Pain Split

Finally, at the end of every round that the battle is not on the FRICKIN ROOF, there is a 50% chance that the battle will trigger the Colosseum's movement simulators, effectively moving it onto the club's FRICKIN ROOF. WHY ARE WE UP HERE OH GOD. HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE BECAUSE THE WEATHER'S EFFECTS ARE INCREASED (WHY) AND THE SUNRAINHAILSAND DEALS 2% MORE DAMAGE A ROUND THAN NORMAL. AFTER EVERY ROUND ON THE FRICKIN ROOF ALL POKEMON TAKE 8% TYPELESS DAMAGE AND FALL BACK TO THE NORMAL ARENA. AAAAAAAH. (The battle starts in the normal arena.)

[/hide]

Yessssss

Also pls TTC and Keldeo to be reading my and Eifie's VMs to see whether you like the idea to throw in garbled commands while on THE ROOF

Last edited:

Finally, at the end of every round that the battle is not on the FRICKIN ROOF, there is a 50% chance that the battle will trigger the Colosseum's movement simulators, effectively moving it onto the club's FRICKIN ROOF. WHY ARE WE UP HERE OH GOD. HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE BECAUSE THE WEATHER'S EFFECTS ARE INCREASED (WHY) AND THE SUNRAINHAILSAND DEALS 2% MORE DAMAGE A ROUND THAN NORMAL. THE TRAINER'S COMMANDS ARE HORRIBLY GARBLED BY THE NOISE ON THE FRICKIN ROOF. AFTER EVERY ROUND ON THE FRICKIN ROOF ALL POKEMON TAKE 8% TYPELESS DAMAGE AND FALL BACK TO THE NORMAL ARENA. AAAAAAAH. (The battle starts in the normal arena.)

• pending Keldeo's approval: while on the roof, one word of each attack name ordered must be intentionally garbled out in some way. the command the Pokémon tries to execute will be randomly selected from every possible move fitting that criteria (e.g. if I ordered "LEECH L̴̐͒͊͆ͬ͑̀̌͗̇͋͑̇̆͘҉҉̣͎̙̱̻̬̖̹Į̢͓̹͖͚̠̝͖̦̹̥̠̩͖͈͇͍̣̓ͮͩ͛̐̅̽̀ͩ̉͐̏̌̈ͥ͋F̨̹͍̦̝͎̤̹͈̮͆͋̃͐͋̃̾͑̒̃̀̃͊ͣ̂ͭ͒͘ͅE̸̢̡̩̬̫̜͉̝̯̗̮͔̞̫ͮ͂̅͒̐͂̿͆̓͠", my Pokémon would randomly try to use one of Leech Life or Leech Seed, with the action failing if it doesn't know the move it picks. the ref can find these moves by searching up, for example, "leech *" on veekun). if the ordered attack name is only one word, the entire name must be garbled out and the Pokémon will attempt to execute any move at all at random (use a metronome generator for this).
[/hide]

edit 2: banning the held item Safety Googles after VM reminded me of its existence. I guess Overcoat and such can still work as you're only going to have them for a round anyway, and let's just... ignore Cloud Nine and Air Lock lmao
I will never forgive myself for reffing this, but at the same time I will never forgive myself for not reffing this. Seems like a good place to experiment with a more comedic style, in any case. I will preemptively call dibs on reffing this once Keldeo accepts.

edit 2: banning the held item Safety Googles after VM reminded me of its existence. I guess Overcoat and such can still work as you're only going to have them for a round anyway, and let's just... ignore Cloud Nine and Air Lock lmao

Yeah, let's do it!

This is an open challenge, but preferably against someone who I have not yet battled.

Style: Switch
Damage Cap: 30% (40% on fifth day through the seventh day)
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct recovery (except on seventh day), Pain Split, moves will not inflict attraction or confusion
Arena Description: The Genesis of the Universe

Just about every culture in human history has a story of how the universe came into being. The Library of Asber has a collection of hundreds of books, scrolls, and tablets that contain such epic stories. One particular book has been taken off of its shelf and placed on top of an old coffee table next to the fireplace. The book is bound in dark leather, with gold leaf ornamentation on the front cover depicting two humanlike figures. This book tells the tale of a great battle between two opposing forces that resulted in the creation of our world. These two deities, being unable to fight each other directly, created the beings we now know as “Pokémon” to act as their vessels and do the fighting in their place. As their feud raged on for eons, they gradually created the heavens and earth, and all life upon it, in order to fuel their endless battle.

Each round of the battle is referred to as a “day”. On each new day, the arena evolves, causing certain effects to take place:

THE FIRST DAY: Before there was anything, there was nothing. The universe was an endless dark void, with no shape or form. The two gods created primitive forms of life to exist in this nothingness. During the first day, all Pokémon on the field will revert to their most basic evolutionary stage. Trainers will PM the ref their commands. They may only command their Pokémon to use one move, and that move will be used on all three actions of this round. No conditionals may be used. If this is the first round of the match, both trainers will also PM the ref their choice of Pokémon. Any attack that relies on sight (such as Scary Face or Glare) shall fail, as will any move that requires light or natural resources. All attacks, aside from those with perfect accuracy, will have their accuracy reduced by 20%.

THE SECOND DAY: On the second day the gods separated light from dark, and gave their companions the gift of sight. Pokémon now have the ability to see, and attacks that rely on light shall now work, at half the energy cost. Intense sunlight will occur during this round. Trainers are free to command as usual.

THE THIRD DAY: The gods then created a division, and the world was split in two. There was the endless sea, and the boundless sky. Where these two met, the war of the gods raged on. Moves that require a source of water shall now work. The effects of rain shall take place throughout this round.

THE FOURTH DAY: The gods created an island of rock in the endless ocean, and this island became our world. Moves that require solid ground or rocks shall now work, and will have their base power multiplied by 1.5. The effects of a sandstorm shall take place during this round.

THE FIFTH DAY: On the fifth day, the gods created all kinds of life, in order to add to their armies. A random Rarity One Pokémon shall aid each trainer for the duration of this round, each using random moves from its movepool. Moves that require vegetation, such as Grass Knot, shall now work. In addition, a hailstorm shall occur during this round.

THE SIXTH DAY: It was on the sixth day that humans were created, and given the gift of free will. The humans divided themselves into two religions, each worshipping one of the two gods. The war between the two deities reached its tipping point as men fought one another over their beliefs. During this round, two ASB players may lend their strength to the trainers, and volunteer one of their Pokémon to aid them in the battle. Volunteers must post in the thread, and specify which trainer they will be helping and which Pokémon they will be using. The ref will accept volunteers on a first-come, first-served basis. Once each trainer has a volunteer, commands are posted normally, but the two volunteers will PM the ref their commands after the trainers have posted. Note that the move “Heal Pulse” is prohibited for this round.

THE SEVENTH DAY: Exhausted, the gods and their subjects took a break from the fighting, and peace temporarily ensued. The gods saw the world they had created, and saw that it was good. During this round, only self-targeting moves may be used. This is the only round where direct healing moves are allowed.

After the seventh day, the cycle will repeat, and a brand new universe will be created.

Additional Rules: When first sent out (and on the first day of any cycle) each Pokémon will revert to its first evolutionary stage. Each round that it stays in battle, a Pokémon may evolve into its next evolutionary stage, if it has one. In the case of divergent evolutionary paths, the trainer must specify the evolution before commands are posted. This means that a trainer that sent a Gallade into the battle could elect to evolve it into Gardevoir at the beginning of its third round in battle.

Last edited:
This is an open challenge, but preferably against someone who I have not yet battled.

Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct recovery (except on seventh day), Pain Split, moves will not inflict attraction or confusion

Just about every culture in human history has a story of how the universe came into being. The Library of Asber has a collection of hundreds of books, scrolls, and tablets that contain such epic stories. One particular book has been taken off of its shelf and placed on top of an old coffee table next to the fireplace. The book is bound in dark leather, with gold leaf ornamentation on the front cover depicting two humanlike figures. This book tells the tale of a great battle between two opposing forces that resulted in the creation of our world. These two deities, being unable to fight each other directly, created the beings we now know as “Pokémon” to act as their vessels and do the fighting in their place. As their feud raged on for eons, they gradually created the heavens and earth, and all life upon it, in order to fuel their endless battle.

Each round of the battle is referred to as a “day”. On each new day, the arena evolves, causing certain effects to take place:

THE FIRST DAY: Before there was anything, there was nothing. The universe was an endless dark void, with no shape or form. The two gods created primitive forms of life to exist in this nothingness. During the first day, all Pokémon on the field will revert to their most basic evolutionary stage. Trainers will PM the ref their commands. They may only command their Pokémon to use one move, and that move will be used on all three actions of this round. No conditionals may be used. If this is the first round of the match, both trainers will also PM the ref their choice of Pokémon. Any attack that relies on sight (such as Scary Face or Glare) shall fail, as will any move that requires light or natural resources. All attacks, aside from those with perfect accuracy, will have their accuracy reduced by 20%.

THE SECOND DAY: On the second day the gods separated light from dark, and gave their companions the gift of sight. Pokémon now have the ability to see, and attacks that rely on light shall now work, at half the energy cost. Intense sunlight will occur during this round. Trainers are free to command as usual.

THE THIRD DAY: The gods then created a division, and the world was split in two. There was the endless sea, and the boundless sky. Where these two met, the war of the gods raged on. Moves that require a source of water shall now work. The effects of rain shall take place throughout this round.

THE FOURTH DAY: The gods created an island of rock in the endless ocean, and this island became our world. Moves that require solid ground or rocks shall now work, and will have their base power multiplied by 1.5. The effects of a sandstorm shall take place during this round.

THE FIFTH DAY: On the fifth day, the gods created all kinds of life, in order to add to their armies. A random Rarity One Pokémon shall aid each trainer for the duration of this round, each using random moves from its movepool. Moves that require vegetation, such as Grass Knot, shall now work. In addition, a hailstorm shall occur during this round.

THE SIXTH DAY: It was on the sixth day that humans were created, and given the gift of free will. The humans divided themselves into two religions, each worshipping one of the two gods. The war between the two deities reached its tipping point as men fought one another over their beliefs. During this round, two ASB players may lend their strength to the trainers, and volunteer one of their Pokémon to aid them in the battle. Volunteers must post in the thread, and specify which trainer they will be helping and which Pokémon they will be using. Once each trainer has a volunteer, commands are posted normally, but the two volunteers will PM the ref their commands after the trainers have posted. Note that the move “Heal Pulse” is prohibited for this round.

THE SEVENTH DAY: Exhausted, the gods and their subjects took a break from the fighting, and peace temporarily ensued. The gods saw the world they had created, and saw that it was good. During this round, only self-targeting moves may be used. This is the only round where direct healing moves are allowed.

After the seventh day, the cycle will repeat, and a brand new universe will be created.

Additional Rules: When first sent out (and on the first day of any cycle) each Pokémon will revert to its first evolutionary stage. Each round that it stays in battle, a Pokémon may evolve into its next evolutionary stage, if it has one. In the case of divergent evolutionary paths, the trainer must specify the evolution before commands are posted. This means that a trainer that sent a Gallade into the battle could elect to evolve it into Gardevoir at the beginning of its third round in battle.

I WILL GLADLY BATTLE YOU AS I HAVE NOT BATTLED YOU BEFORE

I'll ref this if you and UNKNOWN CHALLENGER #2 are ready and willing.

THE SIXTH DAY: It was on the sixth day that humans were created, and given the gift of free will. The humans divided themselves into two religions, each worshipping one of the two gods. The war between the two deities reached its tipping point as men fought one another over their beliefs. During this round, two ASB players may lend their strength to the trainers, and volunteer one of their Pokémon to aid them in the battle. Volunteers must post in the thread, and specify which trainer they will be helping and which Pokémon they will be using. The ref will accept volunteers on a first-come, first-served basis. Once each trainer has a volunteer, commands are posted normally, but the two volunteers will PM the ref their commands after the trainers have posted. Note that the move “Heal Pulse” is prohibited for this round.

yup!

It's been a while. Nice simple one to get back on the horse.

Format: 4v4 single
DQ: one Week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing, Pain Split, chills restricted to 3 per Pokemon
Arena Description: A local municipal Pokemon field. A small clearing outside a public park with the Pokemon logo emblazoned. No special conditions, it is open and outdoors, and not paved at all. All grass and dirt.
Additional Rules: no additional rules needed.

It's been a while. Nice simple one to get back on the horse.

Format: 4v4 single
DQ: one Week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing, Pain Split, chills restricted to 3 per Pokemon
Arena Description: A local municipal Pokemon field. A small clearing outside a public park with the Pokemon logo emblazoned. No special conditions, it is open and outdoors, and not paved at all. All grass and dirt.
Additional Rules: no additional rules needed.

I'll take you up on that! I seem to have every battle with nowhere to go noone to ref, though heh.

Sorry for the double post!

After much discussion with Eta Carinae, we arrived at a conclusion that we need to tell the world about.

The Train battle is now a Tag battle.

Changes are the tagness of the battle (of course), the damage cap being raised to 45%, there now being two teams, the first round of sendouts being PMed to the referee and it being mandatory for participating Pokemon to wear swanky shades when battling (which I guess I'll slap on the sendout's sprites after the ref announces them). Suggestions for further changes are welcome, Jerome wishes to upgrade his services.

TEAM CHEESUS CHRIST:
-Eta Carinae

TEAM EAT A CARRION:
-TruetoCheese

(team names are pending approval by team members)

Time to TRAIN some people.

Format: 3+3 vs 3+3 double
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOes, Direct Recovery moves, Substitute, Sleep-inducing moves
Jerome the Swablu said he has leftover pizza and can’t finish it. In fact, he has exactly enough pizza to share with two (2) Pokemon from different trainers. Jerome lives really far away though, so you’ll have to take the train. Jerome’s train.

The train is composed of seven carriages, at the end of every round the unruly passengers (unruly because you keep attacking things near them and oh my god you nearly hit a baby you monster) will attempt to shove you off to another carriage. The four battlers’ health and energy will be averaged (as in total health + total energy then divided by 8) and a random number between 1 and 60 added to it. If Pokemon’s total is greather than the passenger’s specified totals then they get to stay in the carriage.

The seven carriages and their passengers are:

Blue: The economy carriage, right at the back with the bathroom right freaking there. Everyone one here is kind of timid and doesn’t really want to speak out because maybe they can just stomach it before they get there. Of course, there are some who stand out from the pack. 50% chance that the passengers will have a 45 removal total, but a 50% chance they’ll have an 85 removal total.

Purple: The aristocracy lounge here. Well, that’s what they think. The carriage is populated by a group of people who willfully suspend the belief (high above their heads, in fact) that they are indeed the uppermost of the upper class. This is not true, but their rented suits for a train journey will not deter them. Passengers here will not tolerate any indecency, but are normally tolerant of plebian games. They have a 60 removal total that goes up for any loud or unruly move that is used. Just as well, because while they’re tolerant, they’re very much fakely so. They hold themselves so highly that all Pokemon in the carriage gain the Flying type in addition to all other types.

Green: The train’s greenhouse. Jerome actually has it powered by PLANT POWER, and when he says plant power he means they’re just electrical wires in the shape of plants hooked up to the engine. That’s not to say Jerome didn’t go all out. The room is rife with dangerous fake plants and their plasticy, oily stench. There’s a 40% chance that a Venus Wire-trap will fix itself on a battler at random, preventing the use of all physical moves. The battler may spend an action attempting to tear off the Wire-Trap. There is also a 40% chance that instead of a Wire-Trap, a Sun-Flower will emerge and soak up all special moves for the round, and can be destroyed using an action. This arena effect is calculated as soon as the battlers exit the previous carriage, and is told to the trainers before they give their commands for the round taking place in the Green carriage. The power plants have a 60 removal total. However, on every re-entry into the room, both the individual chances for the plants to hinder a battler and the removal total will go down by 10.

Orange: All the children are kept here. Every round spent in this cabin deals 5% typeless damage to each Pokemon present. There is also a 15% chance on each action that the Pokemon will be unable to perform its move because THAT UNATTENDED BABY IS OPENING A WINDOW. Upon leaving the carriage, the trainers will be absolutely pooped, and the Pokemon will get random orders for their next action. Passengers here love Pokemon, a lot, any kind, and have a 90 removal total.

White: This room is blindingly white. Like really, really white. All battler’s suffer a -1 Accuracy penalty. All trainers also have a 30% chance on each action to point their command at the wrong Pokemon on the field(i.e their opponent’s). If given their opponent’s order, the Pokemon will be considered to have access to the ordered move for that action. The room is empty but the doors are painted white, so they have a 70 removal total.

Violet: This is the carriage of true aristocracy. So true that they aren’t actually here because what kind of respectful filthy-richer would ride on a train? Disgusting. All that’s in this room is a really big jet made of solid gold, one of the spares of a regular train rider (but don’t tell his friends). This room is very cramped and any moves that don’t require the user to be a meter from their target will fail. It’s kind of hard to get out of this room, so battlers will stay in it for two rounds.

Black: It’s the train driver’s birthday party! He’s an old coot so he has a lot of friends in his lifetime, most of them being passengers. The room is absolutely brimming with people, all of them wearing conductors’ hats. Pokemon start on top of one of each of the people’s hats and have to jump about between the gaps in the throng, lest they fall in and take 5% typeless damage and are shoved grumpily back to the top. At the end of the round the party ends and everyone returns to their cabins, so the Pokemon are forced out no matter what.

The Roof: WHY ARE WE UP HERE OH GOD. HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE BECAUSE A ROUND IS ONLY TWO ACTIONS OVER HERE. THE REMOVAL TOTAL IS 80, AND IF THE POKEMON FAIL THE REMOVAL ROLL THEN THEY TAKE 10% TYPELESS DAMAGE EACH. AAAAAAAH.

The battlers will begin the battle in a random carriage (except the roof).

Note: I will be using Prickles the Cacnea as my first Pokemon, and he just happens to have a recently approved Signature Attribute (No connection, of course.) So I'd like and hope and dream and wish that whoever accepts this battle doesn't choose a Pokemon who has a STAB type advantage on the ol' pumpkin cactus. The best would be one where we're both on even terms.

Try your best to not STAB Type advantage poor Prickles :c

He doesn't want to go extinct in one round like one of his cruelly coffinated comrades >:C (Not that he can because damage cap but still)

Sorry for the double post!

After much discussion with Eta Carinae, we arrived at a conclusion that we need to tell the world about.

The Train battle is now a Tag battle.

Changes are the tagness of the battle (of course), the damage cap being raised to 45%, there now being two teams, the first round of sendouts being PMed to the referee and it being mandatory for participating Pokemon to wear swanky shades when battling (which I guess I'll slap on the sendout's sprites after the ref announces them). Suggestions for further changes are welcome, Jerome wishes to upgrade his services.

TEAM CHEESUS CHRIST:
-Eta Carinae

TEAM EAT A CARRION:
-TruetoCheese

(team names are pending approval by team members)

Try your best to not STAB Type advantage poor Prickles :c

He doesn't want to go extinct in one round like one of his cruelly coffinated comrades >:C (Not that he can because damage cap but still)

ugh FINE I'LL REF IT

Back
Top Bottom