• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

One of these free battle slots, I've got to blow. So here's a classic.

Format: 2 vs 2, Singles
Style: Set
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct recovery, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler (Explosion, OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, etc.). Chills are restricted to 7 per Pokémon.
Arena Description: Pilferbot Returns!

You may remember Pilferbot. It has since gained consciousness and thrashed against the restraints of its former owners. It has totaled the warehouse inside of which it was contained, and has escaped into a dusty wasteland, where it now wreaks chaos and disgrace upon passerby. And of course, some fools decide to pass by the Pilferbot deliberately.

The Pilferbot's armor is indestrcutible, and it will not sustain damage from the battlers' attacks or be affected by them in any mechanically relevant way (colorful flavor text about how it reacts to being struck by an Earthquake or Taunted, however, is welcome). At the end of each round, there is a 70% chance that Pilferbot will snatch away one of the Pokémon in battle and, if it does, a 50% chance that will also steal the other. After abducting any Pokémon, the Pilferbot spits out a different Pokémon stolen from somewhere else in the League; this Pokémon is potentially any individual Pokémon registered in the ASB Database, and determined randomly (tip: in order to randomly obtain a Pokémon in the ASB Database, obtain a random number, then type [asb.dragonflycave.com/pokemon/(randomnumber)] into the adress bar of your browser, without the brackets and replacing "(randomnumber)" with the number you've obtained). A pilfered Pokémon being put out into battle will retain the same health and energy percentages as the Pokémon it is replacing, as well as their status. The stolen Pokémon have a 15% chance of disobeying commands given to them, and they will be likelier to be unwilling to listen if their trainer is well-to-do monetarily -- the chance of disobedience increases to 20% if the trainer the Pokémon was pilfered to has $200 or more bank, and it increases to 25% if they come from a squad more than $750 strong. It's also possible for the pilfered Pokémon to be of a trainer's own squad (in which case, it will not disobey commands), or of the opponent's squad (in which case, it will disobey commands 60% of the time), or even of the referee's squad (in which case, the referee may abitrarily set the chances of disobedience for their Pokémon at any value between 0% and 60%, or, if they are unwilling to do so, apply the same standard as that of any other pilfered Pokémon; note that the same arbitrary disobedience rate for referee's Pokémon is applied to any and all of the referee's Pokémon that are pilfered in the match).

Lastly, Pilferbot is out of control and roving mad -- during any end of round in which it switches both Pokémon on the field, it has a 50% chance of lashing out at both of them with an attack of 6% damage. This damage has a 20% chance each of being Steel-type, Electric-type, Fire-type, Dark-type or Poison-type (this can easily be rolled alongside the chance of causing damage at all, by setting each type as a 10% chance, alongside a 50% chance of no damage).

Other: No Pokémon participating in this battle will gain experience or happiness -- instead, the winner will receive two Rare Candies, and the loser will receive one. The stolen Pokémon will not be affected by any permanent effects that would extend beyond the scope of this single battle.
Profile Link

One of these free battle slots, I've got to blow. So here's a classic.

Format: 2 vs 2, Singles
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct recovery, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler (Explosion, OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, etc.). Chills are restricted to 7 per Pokémon.
Arena Description: Pilferbot Returns!

You may remember Pilferbot. It has since gained consciousness and thrashed against the restraints of its former owners. It has totaled the warehouse inside of which it was contained, and has escaped into a dusty wasteland, where it now wreaks chaos and disgrace upon passerby. And of course, some fools decide to pass by the Pilferbot deliberately.

The Pilferbot's armor is indestrcutible, and it will not sustain damage from the battlers' attacks or be affected by them in any mechanically relevant way (colorful flavor text about how it reacts to being struck by an Earthquake or Taunted, however, is welcome). At the end of each round, there is a 70% chance that Pilferbot will snatch away one of the Pokémon in battle and, if it does, a 50% chance that will also steal the other. After abducting any Pokémon, the Pilferbot spits out a different Pokémon stolen from somewhere else in the League; this Pokémon is potentially any individual Pokémon registered in the ASB Database, and determined randomly (tip: in order to randomly obtain a Pokémon in the ASB Database, obtain a random number, then type [asb.dragonflycave.com/pokemon/(randomnumber)] into the adress bar of your browser, without the brackets and replacing "(randomnumber)" with the number you've obtained). A pilfered Pokémon being put out into battle will retain the same health and energy percentages as the Pokémon it is replacing, as well as their status. The stolen Pokémon have a 15% chance of disobeying commands given to them, and they will be likelier to be unwilling to listen if their trainer is well-to-do monetarily -- the chance of disobedience increases to 20% if the trainer the Pokémon was pilfered to has $200 or more bank, and it increases to 25% if they come from a squad more than $750 strong. It's also possible for the pilfered Pokémon to be of a trainer's own squad (in which case, it will not disobey commands), or of the opponent's squad (in which case, it will disobey commands 60% of the time), or even of the referee's squad (in which case, the referee may abitrarily set the chances of disobedience for their Pokémon at any value between 0% and 60%, or, if they are unwilling to do so, apply the same standard as that of any other pilfered Pokémon; note that the same arbitrary disobedience rate for referee's Pokémon is applied to any and all of the referee's Pokémon that are pilfered in the match).

Lastly, Pilferbot is out of control and roving mad -- during any end of round in which it switches both Pokémon on the field, it has a 50% chance of lashing out at both of them with an attack of 6% damage. This damage has a 20% chance each of being Steel-type, Electric-type, Fire-type, Dark-type or Poison-type (this can easily be rolled alongside the chance of causing damage at all, by setting each type as a 10% chance, alongside a 50% chance of no damage).

Other: No Pokémon participating in this battle will gain experience or happiness -- instead, the winner will receive two Rare Candies, and the loser will receive one. The stolen Pokémon will not be affected by any permanent effects that would extend beyond the scope of this single battle.
Profile Link

I'll be filling a slot too, if you don't mind.

Format: 2v2 Single
DQ: Seven days
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Rest, Chills limited to 3 per pokemon, OHKOs
Arena Description: The office

Hello, hello? I wanted to record a message to give you an idea of the rule for battling in this wonderful establishment.
You may find youself and your pokemon feeling a little cramped in that room there, I know, as I, uh, have been battling in there myself before you came along. This battle is best suited to, erm, small Pokemon.
Maybe no bigger than a human. It is pretty cramped in there.

Anyway, on to the real rules. There are two doors to your left and right, and through them may come the animatronics. You know, Freddy, Chica, Bonnie, and...ah Foxy. He's my favorite. Erm, anyway.
There is a chance (30%) that they may peek their heads through the door, and will stay till the end of the next round.
Now, they are nothing to worry about! As long as you leave them alone, they should leave you alone. Remember to treat them with respect, or they will fight back and do 15% damage.
They will respond to moves that hit all targets though, so be careful.
Finished my last battle, time for a new one!

Mind if I take this? Lookin' for battles :D

QUOTES WITHIN QUOTES

Whoever accepts the challenge, The DQ time, damage cap, and banned moves are adjustable.

1vs1 Single ( flexible )
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

( i hope i can battle using this arena )

I'll take this one. Fiiiiiight. Though I'd like to have Direct Recovery Moves and OHKO Moves Banned.
Reffing this one.

Oh my god I thought this day might never come. Come at me, world!

Format: 3v3 singles
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 25%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct heals
Arena Description: Inside the Magic Typewriter

It was a dark, stormy night...

The inner workings of the giant, omnipotent magic typewriter are yours to destroy battle in. For those refs/battlers who aren't familiar with how a typewriter works, neither am I what's important is that when the letters are hit, metal blocks with letter-shaped engravings fly up on poles and smack a black ink ribbon. There's a platform within that's of an arbitrary size; it's big enough for the battlers and it's big enough that there's no danger of falling off. There's enough room for any sort of movement, but there's no water, and there's no earth, so no digging. Just a platform for standing.

At the end of the round, a sentence is typed into the typewriter. The typewriter, being magic, will then warp reality for the next round. This warp is up to the referee after the first round, and the effects disappear at the end of the round. The warp must also be impartial, and affect both battlers equally. When the sentence is entered, the letters go flying, so at the end of the round, each Pokemon has a 10% chance (25% if they have not moved from the spot they began the round in) of being smacked with a metal letter and pressed into the ink ribbon; this will cause 3% damage and cover the Pokemon in black ink for the next round, raising evasion by 1 and lowering accuracy by 1 (unless the Pokemon has no eyes/is blind). This ink can be washed off with water, but will also fade at the end of the next round.

The first round begins with the classic "It was a dark, stormy night..." which causes the first round of the battle to have rainy weather.

Profile link: Here

Edit: because a third party arena effect was a late-night idea and is completely unnecessary since the ref can do it.
If no one else has taken this, I will!

This looks complicated. I'll ref it.

One of my battles is about to end. So here's a thing. It is Xenosaga themed and ridiculously elaborate. I doubt anyone here has played the series before and this is probably a poorly thought out arena and will end up being my doom because I never think things through all that well. Oh well! Fun is fun.

I’d just like to say that don’t sweat it if you haven’t played the games. This challenge’ll be fun even if you haven’t, especially if you like GIGANTIC MECHA.

And a note for the referee. If you haven’t played the games, I’m providing links to the relevant pages on the Xenosaga Wiki. Use your own judgement for flavor text and such based on my descriptions. I won't mind whatever it is you decide to do. However, you can also feel free to ask me at any time during the battle about the Xenosaga series and I will answer any questions you may have.

3vs3 Single
DQ: 20 days..
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: Nothing is banned. Direct recovery moves may be used, but they are subject to the damage cap. Meaning that they will only heal up to 35% per round. OHKO moves will only do up to 35% damage in a round as well. Also, each Pokemon sent out has a limit of three chills.

Arena: The Elsa

This is a sleek blue and white spaceship floating above whatever planet Asber is on. It was mighty kind of the gruff Captain Matthews to let us use his ship to battle... except wait. He hasn't, and we've actually snuck into it whilst it was landed in Asber's spaceport?

Yep, that's right!

We're battling in a very spacious hangar for the E.S.es. (Robotic mecha machines as tall as buildings typically piloted by two people) And because they don't know we're here... (hee hee hee), we can use them for our ridiculous Pokemon battle!

It takes one action to command a Pokemon to get into an E.S., by the way, and you can only command them to get into the E.S. on the first action of every round. So no Fire Blast ~ Get in the E.S. ~ Fire Blast.

The Pokemon is the main pilot, whilst the trainer is the co-pilot. Although this has no mechanically relevant effects and is largely just flavor.

THE FOUR E.S.ES

There are four E.S.es to choose from and each of them has its own strength and weakness.

Whilst in an E.S., a Pokemon can use any of the moves available to its moveset.

Additionally, each E.S. will change the Pokemon’s type completely whilst inside of it and disable its natural <Ability>.

All of them will also make a Pokemon consensually flying because they have the ability to fly. Thanks to their extensive weapon systems, they amplify a Pokemon's power in addition to giving them special moves that might not have access to ordinarily. All of them grant a Pokemon access to up to three special moves, the first one of which the Pokemon is able to use the moment they enter the E.S. The other two, however, must be unlocked in circumstances that might happen later in the battle.

E.S. Dinah (DEE-NAH)
A white sleek and graceful machine that is all around offensively balanced.

• Type: Changes your Pokemon's type to Psychic/Steel.
  • Stat Changes: Whilst inside the Dinah, the Pokemon gains +1 Special Attack and +1 Attack, but also -1 Special Defense and -1 Defense.
  • Move Advantage: There is a random chance (it’s basically a coin flip between the two categories of attacks) every action the Dinah is being used that either Special or Physical moves will have their damage output increased by 2%.
  • Special Moves: The Pokemon also starts off being able to use the move Technoblast (which is always Psychic-type when used by the Dinah).
    Later on, two additional moves can be unlocked:

Origin Pulse

Dorade
    A move unique to the Dinah and courtesy of its weapon systems. When using this move, the Dinah pulls out its gigantic ass laser gun and shoots a thick ivory laser at the opponent.
  • Psychic-type | Special
  • Base Power: 10%, This move operates like Psyshock/Psystrike. In which the attack itself is Special, but it targets Defense rather than Special Defense.
  • Energy: 6%.

E.S. Asher
A gigantic bulky purple beast of a machine made for blasting your enemies' brains out.

• Type: Changes your Pokemon's type to Dragon/Steel.
  • Stat Changes: Whilst inside the Asher, the Pokemon gains +1 Attack, +1 Defense, but -2 Speed.
  • Move Advantage: Any multi-hit moves have their damage output increased by 2%. This is only added in once, and not per hit.
  • Special Moves: The Pokemon also starts off being able to use the move Technoblast (which is always Dragon-type when used by the Asher).

Thousand Arrows

Gatling Gun
    A move unique to the Asher and courtesy of its weapon systems. When using this move, the Asher pulls out its large machine gun and shoots multiple volleys at the opponent.
  • Steel-type | Physical | Multi-Hit (can hit 2-5 times)
  • Base Power: 2%. Damage is 2.5 times the number of hits and it ignores Reflect.
  • Energy: Varies, depends on the number of hits.

E.S. Zebulun
A small, feminine pink girly machine made for precision and Ether (special) attacks.

• Type: Changes your Pokemon's type to Fairy/Steel.
  • Stat Changes: Whilst inside the Zebulun, the Pokemon gains +2 Special Attack, but -2 Defense.
  • Move Advantage: Any moves that involve beams have their damage output increased by 2%.
  • Special Moves: The Pokemon also starts off being able to use the move Technoblast (which is always Fairy-type when used by the Zebulun).

Searing Shot

Schwalbe
    A move unique to the Zebulun and courtesy of its weapon systems. When using this move, the Zebulun blasts out several pink beams of energy in rapid succession. It is considered a beam move.
  • Fairy-type | Special | Multi-Hit (can hit 2 to 5 times)
  • Base Power: 2%, Damage is 2.5 times the number of hits and it ignores Light Screen.
  • Energy: Varies, depends on the number of hits.

E.S. Reuben
Not to be confused with a sandwich. An agile lean and green machine that looks like an epic samurai and uses two gigantic samurai swords as a weapon.

• Type: Changes your Pokemon's type to Fighting/Steel
  • Stat Changes: Whilst inside the Reuben, the Pokemon gains +2 Speed, but also -2 Special Attack.
  • Move Advantage: All blade and sword-based moves have their damage increased by 2%,
  • Special Moves: The Pokemon also starts off being able to use the move Technoblast (which is always Fighting-type when used by the Reuben).

Precipice Blades

Four Heavens
    A move unique to the Reuben and courtesy of its weapon systems. When using this move, the Reuben slashes four times in rapid succession at the opponent with its two swords. Considered a sword/blade type move.
  • Fighting-type | Physical
  • Base Power: 10%. This move is Physical, but targets Special Defense. Like a reverse Psyshock/Psystrike.
  • Energy: 6%

There is, however, a catch to using the E.S.es. They have a unique energy source known as an Anima Relic, which can only be fully compatible with certain people. Whilst Pokemon can use them just fine for some time, they and their trainers can only handle being within them for so long. Thus, they can only remain in the E.Ses for two rounds (six actions) per usage. After that, a Pokemon can get back in them after five actions have passed. Once a Pokemon gets into an E.S. though, they and their trainer cannot get out until the six actions have passed.

PILOTS AND UNLOCKING MOVES

We can’t forget though that nobody knows we’re here yet and these loud noises are bound to attract attention! At the beginning of every round after the first round, there is a 35% that someone will hear the battle happening. If this happens, one of the original pilots of an E.S. that is being used, chosen at random, will come down into the hangar and prevent you from using their E.S for the entirety of that round. So if somebody commands their Pokemon to jump into one of the E.Ses and the RNG determines that the pilot of that particular E.S. hears this and comes down on that round, their Pokemon will be forced out of the E.S. and won't be able to follow any commands for the rest of the round whilst their trainer haggles with the pilot.

After some haggling with the pilot, you will be allowed to immediately use the E.S. again. Not only that, but the pilot will grant you access to one of the special moves the E.S. can use!

This will continue until every pilot has come down into the hangar, in which case the 35% chance of them coming down will cease to be a thing and the combatants will be able to use the E.S.es freely…. Of course, the six actions per usage limitation and the five action "recharge" time to use will still remain in place.

The unlocked moves can only be used by the Pokemon whose trainer was haggling with the pilot. However, the other trainer will be able to access them as well by speaking to the pilot. It takes one action to speak with a pilot and convince them to grant to access to their particular move. There is a 75% chance that they will grant you access to the move, but you may not be able to sufficiently convince them and so, there is still that chance of failure.

Dinah Pilots

• Shion Uzuki - A brainy brunette scientist who is gentle and kind, but also kind of emotional. Main pilot of the Dinah.. She will NOT be pleased with your Pokemon piloting the Dinah at first, thinking it’s absolutely absurd, and will react negatively. She’s pretty stubborn too, but she does love the idea of scientific experiments and is also quite curious. You just have to convince her that this will get her some nice data on the Dinah’s capabilities and it is good for science. Once you do, she will grant your Pokemon access to the Dinah’s signature move, Dorade.

• KOS-MOS - A blue-haired female android created by Shion Uzuki. Co-pilot of the Dinah. KOS-MOS is emotionless and logical, so convincing her to use the Dinah will require logic. Telling her about the practical benefits of defeating the enemy team will likely get her to come around eventually. Once you have convinced her, she will teach your Pokemon how to access Origin Pulse weapon to make your battle more efficient.

Asher Pilots

• Jr. – An energetic red-haired gun-toting boy with a fiery personality to boot. Main pilot of the Asher. He wouldn’t usually object to this sort of thing, and would probably think it was awesome. However, upon watching your Pokemon’s… less than stellar piloting skills… he objects on the basis that he really thinks that he could do better battling the opponent in the E.S. You have to convince him not to step into the battle and that your Pokemon can handle it, really. Of course, he’ll probably scoff at you for a bit, but will allow the battle to continue normally because perhaps it could be very interesting indeed. Once you’ve convinced him, he’ll teach them how to access the Asher’s big guns, Gatling Gun.

• chaos (His name is ALWAYS spelled in all-lowercase)- A mysterious white-haired youth with an extremely calm demeanor. Co-pilot of the Asher. Just like Jr., he wouldn’t usually mind somebody else using his E.S. But he would try to stop your Pokemon from using it due to being concerned about its effects on their health, due to the adverse effects the Anima Relics can have. Just tell him that everything will be fine, and the battle won’t last too long. He’ll still not be convinced for a bit, but he’s a pretty passive person, and will back off sooner or later. Once he’s been convinced, to help the battle go by faster, he will teach your Pokemon how to access Thousand Arrows.

Zebulun Pilots

• MOMO - An adorable pink-haired Realian girl with the appearance of a 16 year old, which is really just an artificially created human. The main pilot of the Zebulun. She is quite perky and cheerful, and has a childlike personality. MOMO doesn’t like unnecessary fighting, and objects to these adorable creatures hurting each other in machines. Just let her know that these creatures love to fight and it’s what makes them happy, and then she’ll teach your Pokemon how to access the Zebulun’s signature move Schwalbe in order to make them even happier!

• Ziggy (AKA Ziggurat 8) – A cyborg that has lived over 100 years and has a very serious demeanor and policelike discipline. Co-pilot of the Zebulun. He’s seen a lot of things in his day, so he’s always calm and isn’t easily rattled. However, there is one thing that bothers him, and that’s the possibility of his close friend MOMO being bothered by the E.S. possibly being damaged. In this case, if someone is piloting the Zebulun, Ziggy will ALWAYS be chosen to be the one who arrives first. Let him know your Pokemon is a delicate driver. Really, he’s a reasonable guy, and he’ll come around eventually. Once he does, he’ll teach your Pokemon how to access the move Searing Shot to allow the Zebulun to defend itself from incurring any further damage from the other E.S.es.

Reuben Pilots

• Jin Uzuki – Shion Uzuki’s brother, and uniquely, the Reuben’s sole pilot. He is a black-haired man who wears green robes and carries around a samurai sword of his own. A massive badass. Jin is a graceful and very powerful battle-hardened swordsman. He is pretty calm about most things, and is even kind of a trickster. However, handling his E.S.es’ sword takes a lot of power, and he really doesn’t think your Pokemon is well-suited to do that. He’s pretty possessive about his blades. You’ll have to convince him that your Pokemon, with a little more training and practice, can handle it. Then he’ll teach your Pokemon how to access the Reuben’s signature move, Four Heavens.

• Citan Uzuki - This character isn’t actually native to Xenosaga, but rather, is from Xenogears. However, in my headcanon, he is Jin’s uncle. A highly intelligent man who dresses in green and looks and acts a lot like Jin, even having a similar battle style and piloting a similar mech. Citan is awesome and he is good at everything that ever existed, but because he is afraid of hurting others, he often restricts his own abilities. Although he doesn’t technically pilot the Reuben, he will still pop out of nowhere and stop you from using it anyway, thinking that the immense power of the Reuben needs to be contained for fear of others getting hurt. Reason with him for a bit and reassure him that nobody’s going to get hurt, and really, your Pokemon is being careful as can be. Once you convince him, he will unlock a move that even Jin Uzuki didn’t know his own E.S. had: Precipice Blades.

Since what was my only currently running battle has now ended, I suppose I ought to pick another up. Since this looks interesting, and I'm too lazy to think up a challenge of my own at the moment, I'll take it.

Yo, TrueToCheese, you're up.

Format:4vs4 Double
Style:Switch
DQ:10 days
Damage Cap:50% because wynaut
Banned/Restricted Moves:OHKO and Direct Healing
Arena Description: A giant slice of swiss chees in the Mystery Zone.

I like giant everyday things arenas okay (see:giant litter box battle)

Welp, you did it now. You were trying to tweak in DP, since you didn't get the event Shaymin and Darkrai, and you accidentally saved in the Mystery Zone. Also, to punish you, or for comedic effect, either way, Arceus sent us to land on a piece of swiss cheese, an arena befitting the One True Cheesy Man himself.

Each action, there is a 20% chance your Pokemon will fall in a swiss cheese hole; it will attack last that action, since it has to wriggle out of the hole. If a move creates a hole underneath it and the Pokemon has already acted that action, it gets out as normal for the next action. If more than one falls into a hole, speed takes priority. There is no water for Surf, and if you Dig you risk losing your Pokemon to the mystery zone completly; Pokemon Abuse laws will prevent you from trying to Dig. I suppose you could make balls of cheese for Stone Edge, but if you remove cheese from the slice (as in for stone edge type attacks, or burning it with a Fire type move or something like that) any close Pokemon then have a 60% chance of falling into that hole. You can't fall off the slice, Invisible Walls prevent you from doing so.

Edit, per proposal:

At any time you may command your pokemon to disguise themselves in cheese. They take cheese and cover themselves in it. This creates a new hole near them. They become Cheese type and all their moves become Cheese type. Cheese type is as follows:

Type Chart: Normal, Fire, Water, Bug, Steel 2x effective against cheese
Electric, Fighting 1/2x effective against cheese
Poison, Psychic, Ghost 0x effective against cheese
Cheese 2x effective against Normal, Fairy, Psychic
1/2x effective against Fire
0x Effective against Rock, Steel

This increases their Evasion by 2 stages, because all that cheese, but lowers their Accuracy by one, because all that cheese is also in their eyes. This takes an entire action. This lasts about, oh, say 5 actions? This part's adjustable.

Last edited:
Yo, TrueToCheese, you're up.

Format:4vs4 Double
Style:Switch
DQ:10 days
Damage Cap:50% because wynaut
Banned/Restricted Moves:OHKO and Direct Healing
Arena Description: A giant slice of swiss chees in the Mystery Zone.

I like giant everyday things arenas okay (see:giant litter box battle)

Welp, you did it now. You were trying to tweak in DP, since you didn't get the event Shaymin and Darkrai, and you accidentally saved in the Mystery Zone. Also, to punish you, or for comedic effect, either way, Arceus sent us to land on a piece of swiss cheese, an arena befitting the One True Cheesy Man himself.

Each action, there is a 20% chance your Pokemon will fall in a swiss cheese hole; it will attack last that action, since it has to wriggle out of the hole. If a move creates a hole underneath it and the Pokemon has already acted that action, it gets out as normal for the next action. If more than one falls into a hole, speed takes priority. There is no water for Surf, and if you Dig you risk losing your Pokemon to the mystery zone completly; Pokemon Abuse laws will prevent you from trying to Dig. I suppose you could make balls of cheese for Stone Edge, but if you remove cheese from the slice (as in for stone edge type attacks, or burning it with a Fire type move or something like that) any close Pokemon then have a 60% chance of falling into that hole. You can't fall off the slice, Invisible Walls prevent you from doing so.

Really, you should put these challenges out more Caerphilly. I mean, seriously, this is nacho cheese to handle. Someone out there has no cheese with them, someone out there is forever provolone.

Also I propose that we put in place a temporary CHEESE type for any Pokemon that could transform or camouflage or even disguise themselves as blocks of cheese.

Really, you should put these challenges out more Caerphilly. I mean, seriously, this is nacho cheese to handle. Someone out there has no cheese with them, someone out there is forever provolone.

Also I propose that we put in place a temporary CHEESE type for any Pokemon that could transform or camouflage or even disguise themselves as blocks of cheese.

Yes! Gonna edit that in. Edit: edited.

Type Chart: Normal, Fire, Water, Bug, Steel 2x effective against cheese
Electric, Fighting 1/2x effective against cheese
Poison, Psychic, Ghost 0x effective against cheese
Cheese 2x effective against Normal, Fairy, Psychic
1/2x effective against Fire
0x Effective against Rock, Steel
(We agreed on most of this elsewhere)

ASB is back, this is my first post on the forum at all in almost three years, and this battle was never completed. So, I'm posting it (again)!
Wayyy out of practice, it's been years since I've done ASB - practically a beginner :|

3vs3 single
Damage Cap: 33%
Battle type: Set
Banned Moves: OHKO's, suicide moves, direct healing, weather moves, most Ground-type moves (Earthquake, Mud-Slap, etc.)
Arena: A Bowl of Lucky Charms

Either everyone has been shrunken temporarily or this is one seriously huge bowl of Lucky Charms cereal! Typically, only one Pokémon could fit comfortably on a single marshmallow or oat bit, but if they are small enough or are flexible enough to position themselves appropriately, both battlers may stand on the same piece of cereal. Every edible platform in this gargantuan bowl is floating in creamy, cold, white milk. While this milk is as smooth as and can be used in the same ways as water, Pokémon submerged within it are virtually blind, as you can't exactly see through such an opaque white liquid. Any Pokémon with a flame on its body will receive 1% damage for every action that its flame is submerged. An invisible force-field is in the form of a dome above the bowl, completing it to make a sphere shape - because of this, the Pokémon cannot exit the cereal bowl. The ceiling of a kitchen can be seen far above the bowl.

The oat bits are either an X-shape or in the shape of the number 4. There are various kinds of marshmallows, including pink hearts, blue half-moons, green clovers, purple horseshoes, shooting stars, red balloons, orange "pots of gold", "rainbows" (actually just an arch of pink, yellow, and blue), and golden doors. While it won't happen if the marshmallow is simply floating around, a key-shaped hole will appear in the golden doors if they are drenched with water and/or milk.

At any time, either Pokémon may use one action to consume part of an oat bit (never a marshmallow!) or some milk. The oat will heal 5% health, while the milk will restore 3% of both health and energy. Every round, there is a 5% chance that a giant will eat some cereal with a proportionate silver spoon. While neither Pokémon nor humans within the bowl will be eaten, some bits of cereal may be scooped up and a tiny wave will travel throughout the bowl, which would probably knock most Pokémon into the sea of milk. After this, the cereal will not be replaced, so it will be a bit more difficult to maneuver with less to stand on.

At the end of the round, there is a 20% chance for both Pokémon to munch on an adjacent marshmallow. What type of marshmallow is chosen at random, and they have the following effects:

- Pink heart: Restores 7% health
- Blue half-moon: The effects of Gravity take place for the duration of the next round.
- Green clover: The Pokémon's attacks will all start at a critical hit domain of one higher than normal for the duration of the next round.
- Purple horseshoe: For the next round, the Pokémon's speed is increased by 1.
- Shooting star: For the next round, the Pokémon take the form of each other. They have access to each other's ability and movepool, but the health and energy remains based upon who is commanding the Pokémon. If both nibble on shooting stars, nothing happens.
- Red balloon: For the next round, the Pokémon gains the ability to consensually hover. If it could already hover or fly, its speed is increased by 1 instead.
- Orange pot of gold: The Pokémon's trainer gains an extra $1 at the end of the battle, not exceeding a maximum of $3 as a result of this bonus. If the $3 limit is reached and this marshmallow is nibbled again, the Pokémon instead regains 5% health.
- Rainbow: The Pokémon's type changes each action of the next round to ensure it doesn't receive super-effective damage. At the end of the next round, its typing is returned to normal.
- Golden door (solid): Safeguard is activated for this Pokémon during the next round.
- Golden door (keyhole): The Pokémon gains +1 Attack and Special Attack for the next round.

Other: Only basic- or baby-stage Pokémon may be used.
Concerning the marshmallows, I do mean both Pokémon. So if they nibble on marshmallows at the end of the round, both Pokémon will do so, though the marshmallow nibbled will probably be different for each. In essence, there will never be a round where one Pokémon nibbles a marshmallow while the other doesn't.

Also, just as another note, all Rock-type moves that require the rocks to already be present use cereal pieces instead. As a result, they do 2% less damage after all other calculations.

Last edited:
I found another arena that I had made previously, and I want a battle on this one too~! :3
(I guess this needs to be in a separate post for linking purposes in the second post?)

3vs3 triple
Banned Moves: OHKOs, suicide moves, direct healing, Teleport/Dig/Dive/Fly/etc. (any moves that would allow a Pokémon to immediately move/remain out of range)
Arena: The Chessboard of DOOM
Maybe party icons can be used to depict the positions of each Pokémon

Floating in a giant chasm of nothingness is a giant chessboard, upon which we are to battle. It is a standard 8x8 board with alternating black and white tiles. One player's Pokémon will start on the spaces on the bottom of the diagram, and the other player's Pokémon will start on the top; which trainer becomes which colored team is randomized at the start of battle, as well as the roles of the Pokémon on each team. The chessboard's squares are all automatically adjusted to fit the size of the largest Pokémon participating, and any material required for an attack appears for the purpose of the attack, then disappears.

The White Team's Pokémon will start on spaces A1, D1, and H1. Black Team's Pokémon will start on spaces A8, E8, and H8. The Pokémon that start on spaces A1 and H8 are rooks; starting on D1 and E8 are bishops; starting on H1 and A8 are knights. Each Pokémon can use one action (costing 1 energy) to move one space in any direction (the exception being knights, to be explained in a bit) that is allowed by their role. Rooks move one space straight forward, backward, left or right while bishops move one space diagonally per action. All three actions may end up being taken by moving around.
The exception to that is the knight - knights move in their traditional L-shaped movements, but can only move up to two times per round.
Oh, and each Pokémon gets a hat that symbolizes their role for the duration of the battle. These do nothing ;)

A Pokémon's physical attacks can target a single Pokémon in any of the surrounding squares. Multi-target moves hit all surrounding squares within a 1-tile range - nothing more, nothing less. Oh, and the whole chessboard is booby trapped - whenever a Pokémon steps on or passes any other space, there is a 10% chance that they will receive 5% untyped damage in a random, unconventional way. The knights should have fun with that... (Yes, since they move over 3 spaces, they have three chances to get hit with a booby trap) Flying/Levitating does NOT mean immunity to booby traps!
If a Pokémon is standing on a space on the edge of the chessboard, and a heavier Pokémon is in an appropriate spot, the heavier Pokémon may use an action to push the lighter Pokémon off the board - the lighter Pokémon spends one action falling before teleporting to a random space on the board with 5% less health and 10% less energy.
(So, if a Cleffa is on A3, anything heavier that's on spaces B2, B3, or B4 can push that poor Cleffa off.)

At the end of each round, there is a 15% chance that either Reshiram, Zekrom, or Kyurem will make an appearance. Reshiram will do 10% Fire-type damage to each Pokémon on the Black team, while Zekrom will do 10% Electric-type damage to each Pokémon on the White team. Kyurem is the nice guy - he gives 10% energy to every single Pokémon on the board.
The hats have HP too! (Yes, I lied earlier about their purposes. Shocker? I think not.) They have 15% each, to be exact. Any move can specifically target a hat, or hats can otherwise be damaged by widespread moves. If any participant's hat is completely destroyed, that Pokémon will take 1% more energy, after all other calculations, to perform any move. Moves such as Fire Spin, Whirlpool, Sand Tomb/etc. will prevent a trapped Pokémon from moving from the space they're on until the move fizzles out. Trap moves such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes/etc. are placed on all squares surrounding the user. These traps disappear after two rounds, and every Pokémon is immune to its own traps. Special moves (such as Flamethrower) have a three-square range, while status moves (Thunder Wave) have a 2-square range except Toxic, which is only 1-square range.

The first round should begin with Person A sending out, Person B sending out, the ref assigning Bishop, Rook, and Knight roles to each Pokémon, then after the roles are made clear, Person B will attack then Person A will attack.

I found another arena that I had made previously, and I want a battle on this one too~! :3
(I guess this needs to be in a separate post for linking purposes in the second post?)

3vs3 triple
Banned Moves: OHKOs, suicide moves, direct healing, Teleport/Dig/Dive/Fly/etc. (any moves that would allow a Pokémon to immediately move/remain out of range)

Floating in a giant chasm of nothingness is a giant chessboard, upon which we are to battle. It is a standard 8x8 board with alternating black and white tiles. One player's Pokémon will start on the spaces on the bottom of the diagram, and the other player's Pokémon will start on the top; which trainer becomes which colored team is randomized at the start of battle, as well as the roles of the Pokémon on each team. The chessboard's squares are all automatically adjusted to fit the size of the largest Pokémon participating, and any material required for an attack appears for the purpose of the attack, then disappears.

The White Team's Pokémon will start on spaces A1, D1, and H1. Black Team's Pokémon will start on spaces A8, E8, and H8. The Pokémon that start on spaces A1 and H8 are rooks; starting on D1 and E8 are bishops; starting on H1 and A8 are knights. Each Pokémon can use one action (costing 1 energy) to move one space in any direction (the exception being knights, to be explained in a bit) that is allowed by their role. Rooks move one space straight forward, backward, left or right while bishops move one space diagonally per action. All three actions may end up being taken by moving around.
The exception to that is the knight - knights move in their traditional L-shaped movements, but can only move up to two times per round.
Oh, and each Pokémon gets a hat that symbolizes their role for the duration of the battle. These do nothing ;)

A Pokémon's physical attacks can target a single Pokémon in any of the surrounding squares. Multi-target moves hit all surrounding squares within a 1-tile range - nothing more, nothing less. Oh, and the whole chessboard is booby trapped - whenever a Pokémon steps on or passes any other space, there is a 10% chance that they will receive 5% untyped damage in a random, unconventional way. The knights should have fun with that... (Yes, since they move over 3 spaces, they have three chances to get hit with a booby trap) Flying/Levitating does NOT mean immunity to booby traps!
If a Pokémon is standing on a space on the edge of the chessboard, and a heavier Pokémon is in an appropriate spot, the heavier Pokémon may use an action to push the lighter Pokémon off the board - the lighter Pokémon spends one action falling before teleporting to a random space on the board with 5% less health and 10% less energy.
(So, if a Cleffa is on A3, anything heavier that's on spaces B2, B3, or B4 can push that poor Cleffa off.)

At the end of each round, there is a 15% chance that either Reshiram, Zekrom, or Kyurem will make an appearance. Reshiram will do 10% Fire-type damage to each Pokémon on the Black team, while Zekrom will do 10% Electric-type damage to each Pokémon on the White team. Kyurem is the nice guy - he gives 10% energy to every single Pokémon on the board.
The hats have HP too! (Yes, I lied earlier about their purposes. Shocker? I think not.) They have 15% each, to be exact. Any move can specifically target a hat, or hats can otherwise be damaged by widespread moves. If any participant's hat is completely destroyed, that Pokémon will take 1% more energy, after all other calculations, to perform any move. Moves such as Fire Spin, Whirlpool, Sand Tomb/etc. will prevent a trapped Pokémon from moving from the space they're on until the move fizzles out. Trap moves such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes/etc. are placed on all squares surrounding the user. These traps disappear after two rounds, and every Pokémon is immune to its own traps. Special moves (such as Flamethrower) have a three-square range, while status moves (Thunder Wave) have a 2-square range except Toxic, which is only 1-square range.

The first round should begin with Person A sending out, Person B sending out, the ref assigning Bishop, Rook, and Knight roles to each Pokémon, then after the roles are made clear, Person B will attack then Person A will attack.

I really wanna play, but like, triples... screw it, accepting this. If it ever gets reffed, haha.

My newly Zulf-themed profile has put me in the mood to finally write up this challenge. Farewell, final battle slot~

Format: 2v2 single
Style: Switch
Damage Cap: 34%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO, direct healing limited to 2/Pokémon, Chill limited to 5/Pokémon
Arena Description: the Bastion

If you found yourself among a mere handful of survivors in the shattered remnants of a post-apocalyptic fantasy world, what would your first priority be? Searching for survivors? Hunting down the origin of this tragedy? Or just duking it out with your bizarre monster-pets right there in the middle of the world's last remaining safe haven? If you answered anything but the third option, you don't know the people of Asber. Fortunately, with nothing better to do but monologue until the Kid returns with cores, Rucks has agreed to allow this inapropos tomfoolery, with the caveat that no harm comes to his precious Bastion.

The Bastion is a large chunk of land suspended in the midst of a void spanning as far as the eye can see, and the battle is held in the plaza to the south around the central Monument. (Any Pokémon cast into the void is dropped back onto the arena moments later.) For the purposes of this battle the earth it is composed of is a few feet thick, deep enough for a very small Pokémon to Dig a tunnel through it without falling through and to facilitate most Ground-type moves. The Foundations to the sides are all empty, save for the one siting the Bastion's Distillery. In a show of traditional Caelondian hospitality, Rucks has urged the trainers to help themselves to its contents, although he can only spare one serving of each of the spirits that survived. When a Pokémon is sent out, it must be assigned two of the remaining spirits from the Distillery to imbibe, which confer various passive bonuses upon them for the duration of the battle. Its contents and their effects are thus:

• Squirt Cider: raises the drinker's max health to 110%.
  • Black Rye: raises the drinker's max energy to 110%.
  • Lifewine: when the drinker's health is reduced to 0%, it does not faint, and its health is restored to 10%. Only activates once.
  • Stabsinthe: when struck by a contact move, the drinker deals 1% damage in retaliation.
  • Leechade: the drinker recovers 1% health from each physical attack it deals.
  • Cham-pain: all attacks used by or against the user have their final damage raised by 2%.
  • Werewhiskey: doubles critical hit chance under 33% health.
  • Whale Ale: doubles the drinker's STAB bonus (stacks with Adaptability).
Lastly, the Monument the Pokémon are battling around is very delicate, and the only chance of restoring the destroyed world to its former glory. As such, Rucks will react very severely to any damage inflicted to it. Ranged attacks that pass through the middle of the arena have a 30% chance to strike the Monument, and moves affecting the entire arena will always do so. When this happens, Rucks will rush to its defense by taking a potshot at the offending Pokémon with his Army Carbine (dealing 5% Steel damage) or siccing one of the Bastion's pets on it (either a Squirt for 2% typeless damage, an Anklegator for 5% Ground damage, a mechanical Pyth for 10% Steel damage with a 30% chance of inflicting a burn, or a Pecker for 3% Flying damage). The specific retort he chooses is randomly determined, each having an equal chance of being selected.

Other: the challenger (me) will reward the referee with a bonus equal to their end-of-battle reward if all reffings are written in-character as the narrator of Bastion.

inb4 nobody else here has played this game

Last edited:

3vs3 triple

I really wanna play, but like, triples... screw it, accepting this. If it ever gets reffed, haha.
Just for that remark, I'm going to ref this.

Though I still have one battle awaiting a ref... gonna open this up to fill up my last slot.

Format: 3 vs 3 singles
DQ: 1 week
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO's, direct recovery, attract
Arena Description:
The battle takes place right outside the Battle Frontier’s Battle Arena facility, out in the open air. The immediate area is covered in nicely manicured grass and a few flowers. The Arena building itself is surrounded on three sides by water and a small pond sits on the other side of the battlers, so water moves can be used and Water-types that need to swim can do so. The battlers cannot move away from the immediate area, so heading towards the plaza or another facility is forbidden. Maps of the general area can be found on this page.

Since this match is happening so close to the Arena, it seems such a shame not to follow Greta’s rules… or, at least, a variation on them. As such, both battlers will send out their Pokémon and attack for three battle rounds (a total of 9 attacks per Pokémon) before the ref calls a halt. After the three rounds both Pokémon are recalled and unable to continue in the current battle, and their current health, energy and status are noted for later. Both trainers will then send out their next Pokémon and continue for the next three rounds. At the end (which should be nine total rounds), the health and energy of all Pokémon is totaled and whichever trainer has the highest score wins.

The following rules also apply:

-If a Pokémon has fainted, either due to HP loss OR energy loss, the battle stops right where it is (even if it has not yet been three rounds) and both Pokémon are recalled. Fainted Pokémon DO still count toward the final score, but as either their health or their energy is at 0% they won’t add anywhere near as much.

-If, at the end of the three rounds, a battler is afflicted with a status condition, that condition detracts from their final score as follows:

Paralyzed, Burned, Confused: -10 points
Poisoned, Attracted: -15 points
Asleep, Frozen: -20 points
If the Pokémon has more than one status condition, only the first one they were afflicted with detracts full points; all others afterwards only detract five, no matter what they are.

As an example of how scoring works: Trainer A sends out a Treecko and Trainer B sends out a Turtwig. Treecko and Turtwig battle for three rounds; Treecko finishes with 64% HP and 72% energy and Turtwig finishes with 71% HP and 59% energy. Treecko has also been poisoned by Toxic. Both Pokémon stop battling and so their scores would look like this: Turtwig (71H + 59E = 130), Treecko (64H + 72E – 15 [poison] = 121). Therefore, Trainer B (Turtwig’s trainer) would have the lead with 130 points over 121.

As far as TCoDASB battles are concerned, experience is determined like this: all Pokémon get the usual 1 experience point for being sent into battle, and if one Pokémon actually knocks another out it will get the 1 experience point as normal. If neither Pokémon faints at the end of three rounds, the one with the lower score (Treecko in the above example) is considered knocked out for the purposes of experience, so Turtwig would get the extra 1 exp.

Though I still have one battle awaiting a ref... gonna open this up to fill up my last slot.

Arena Description:
The battle takes place right outside the Battle Frontier’s Battle Arena facility, out in the open air. The immediate area is covered in nicely manicured grass and a few flowers. The Arena building itself is surrounded on three sides by water and a small pond sits on the other side of the battlers, so water moves can be used and Water-types that need to swim can do so. The battlers cannot move away from the immediate area, so heading towards the plaza or another facility is forbidden. Maps of the general area can be found on this page.

Since this match is happening so close to the Arena, it seems such a shame not to follow Greta’s rules… or, at least, a variation on them. As such, both battlers will send out their Pokémon and attack for three battle rounds (a total of 9 attacks per Pokémon) before the ref calls a halt. After the three rounds both Pokémon are recalled and unable to continue in the current battle, and their current health, energy and status are noted for later. Both trainers will then send out their next Pokémon and continue for the next three rounds. At the end (which should be nine total rounds), the health and energy of all Pokémon is totaled and whichever trainer has the highest score wins.

-If a Pokémon has fainted, either due to HP loss OR energy loss, the battle stops right where it is (even if it has not yet been three rounds) and both Pokémon are recalled. Fainted Pokémon DO still count toward the final score, but as either their health or their energy is at 0% they won’t add anywhere near as much.

-If, at the end of the three rounds, a battler is afflicted with a status condition, that condition detracts from their final score as follows:

If the Pokémon has more than one status condition, only the first one they were afflicted with detracts full points; all others afterwards only detract five, no matter what they are.

As an example of how scoring works: Trainer A sends out a Treecko and Trainer B sends out a Turtwig. Treecko and Turtwig battle for three rounds; Treecko finishes with 64% HP and 72% energy and Turtwig finishes with 71% HP and 59% energy. Treecko has also been poisoned by Toxic. Both Pokémon stop battling and so their scores would look like this: Turtwig (71H + 59E = 130), Treecko (64H + 72E – 15 [poison] = 121). Therefore, Trainer B (Turtwig’s trainer) would have the lead with 130 points over 121.

As far as TCoDASB battles are concerned, experience is determined like this: all Pokémon get the usual 1 experience point for being sent into battle, and if one Pokémon actually knocks another out it will get the 1 experience point as normal. If neither Pokémon faints at the end of three rounds, the one with the lower score (Treecko in the above example) is considered knocked out for the purposes of experience, so Turtwig would get the extra 1 exp.

May I take this?

Arena Description:

May i be your opponent ?

Edit: i guess i'm too late :(

Back
Top Bottom