• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Yooo, I feel bad about neglecting some of my Pokémon. :c Anyone up for something simple-ish and quick?

Format: 1vs1 single
Style: super-cool
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 49%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, Attract, Chill. Cute Charm and anything else that might cause infatuation have no effect. Moves that cause sleep as their primary effect are banned, and moves that cause sleep as a secondary effect have that secondary effect removed.

Arena Description: Tart Top! There's like a huge cute circular cream thing in the center with a cherry on top. If a Pokémon gets a lot of cream stuff on itself its speed is lowered by 2 stages until it gets the stuff off I guess. Why not. Stuff needed for moves like Surf and whatever magically appears for the purpose of the move and then disappears after.

Additional Rules: Single-stage Pokémon are banned. Pokémon that are already evolved temporarily devolve to their base form for the battle. All Pokémon have 0 exp for the purposes of damage calculation. Both battlers will choose their sendouts and send them to the ref by PM (and also choose their held items at this time, because I don't have enough items to equip my entire party and my opponent could probably guess who I'm going to use just by looking...)

Additional additional rules: please don't be like a gazillion times better than me :c
Hi! Do you mind battling me?

Ooh, sure, sounds fun! Also, I realized I totally forgot to ban Super Fang — I assume that won't be a problem, but are you okay with me adding it to the banned moves list?
Sure! As long as you keep all the hilarious moves, we're good.

Format: 1 v 1 single
Style: Set??
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned moves: Direct healing, chill, rest, any draining moves that would restore more than they cost (this does not count leech seed), super fang, attract, confusion (attract and confusion as secondary effects are removed).
Arena: Curious Ruin
Deep underground lies a most curious ruin. The central chamber, where the battle will be held, is square in shape with rounded corners, and extends up into a domed ceiling. The walls are made of yellow stone, extend 5 meters from floor to the base of the dome, and are adorned with beautiful mosaics of lapis lazuli and pearls. The chamber is flooded with seawater about 1 meter deep. Platforms of solid yellow stone rise about 2 meters above the floor and connect to the walls, with stairs going down to the floor away from its wall. Each wall bears an ornate door on its platform, but they are well and truly sealed off to all comers. One thick pillar rises from the center of the chamber up to the top of the dome, with a spiral staircase wrapping around it that stops suddenly when it reaches the base of the dome, leading to nowhere. Was it unfinished...? How did we get in here? How will we get out?

There is something definitely weird, definitely curious about this ruin. We should battle to find out. All weather will apply here except for sun. Pokémon's health and energy will be merged into a single Power stat, which begins at 150%. Anything that deducts or restores health or energy will instead deduct or restore power.
Additional Rules: Knuddeluff will be using his Tentacool, and I'll be using my Ralts.

Last edited:
Banned moves: Direct healing, chill, rest, any draining moves that would restore more than they cost (this does not count leech seed), super fang, attract, confusion (attract and confusion as secondary effects are removed).
Deep underground lies a most curious ruin. The central chamber, where the battle will be held, is square in shape with rounded corners, and extends up into a domed ceiling. The walls are made of yellow stone, extend 5 meters from floor to the base of the dome, and are adorned with beautiful mosaics of lapis lazuli and pearls. The chamber is flooded with seawater about 2 centimeters deep. Platforms of solid yellow stone rise about 2 meters above the floor and connect to the walls, with stairs going down to the floor away from its wall. Each wall bears an ornate door on its platform, but they are well and truly sealed off to all comers. One thick pillar rises from the center of the chamber up to the top of the dome, with a spiral staircase wrapping around it that stops suddenly when it reaches the base of the dome, leading to nowhere. Was it unfinished...? How did we get in here? How will we get out?

There is something definitely weird, definitely curious about this ruin. We should battle to find out. All weather will apply here except for sun. Pokémon's health and energy will be merged into a single Power stat, which begins at 150%. Anything that deducts or restores health or energy will instead deduct or restore power.
Additional Rules: I'd like it if whoever accepts discusses which Pokémon we'll use beforehand via VM, IRC, or Skype or something.

This definitely sounds interesting, I'd like to take this battle :>

For Sangfroidish (or open if he doesn't want another battle)

Format: 3v3 Singles
Style: Set
DQ: 2 Weeks
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: OHKO
Arena: The Reverse Bubble Bowl
The arena is in a hemisphere of air at the bottom of a lake. Outside of the dome are seats that are to be used by divers or water-type Pokémon.
Nothing is special about the arena itself but there is no solid object separating the air and water, the integrity of the dome is maintained by psychic Pokémon.
Objects (inluding water) can pass both ways through the dome if needed.
Additional Rules: Mayonnaise is not an instrument

For Sangfroidish (or open if he doesn't want another battle)

DQ: 2 Weeks
Banned Moves: OHKO
Arena: The Reverse Bubble Bowl
The arena is in a hemisphere of air at the bottom of a lake. Outside of the dome are seats that are to be used by divers or water-type Pokémon.
Nothing is special about the arena itself but there is no solid object separating the air and water, the integrity of the dome is maintained by psychic Pokémon.
Objects (inluding water) can pass both ways through the dome if needed.
Additional Rules: Mayonnaise is not an instrument

I'll drop my open challenge for now and accept this, if I may.

Yooo, I feel bad about neglecting some of my Pokémon. :c Anyone up for something simple-ish and quick?

Format: 1vs1 single
Style: super-cool
Damage Cap: 49%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, Attract, Chill, Super Fang. Cute Charm and anything else that might cause infatuation have no effect. Moves that cause sleep as their primary effect are banned, and moves that cause sleep as a secondary effect have that secondary effect removed.

Arena Description: Tart Top! There's like a huge cute circular cream thing in the center with a cherry on top. If a Pokémon gets a lot of cream stuff on itself its speed is lowered by 2 stages until it gets the stuff off I guess. Why not. Stuff needed for moves like Surf and whatever magically appears for the purpose of the move and then disappears after.

Additional Rules: Music Dragon will be using Doctor Proctor the Exeggcute and I will be using Mimsy the Sentret, so we can skip sendouts.

Additional additional rules: please don't be like a gazillion times better than me :c

I'll ref this! Thread up in a few. In the event that it happens, would you like something to happen to a Pokemon that falls off, or have there be like a forcefield or something that prevents that?

Also: Noel vs. me seems to have been missed when the second post was updated, and allitersonance vs. Coloursfall is being reffed by Sylph.

Mmhh why not.

Open challenge, since I don't seem to have done one yet?

Format: 2vs2 single
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Attract, Direct recovery, OHKOs, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon, Protect/Detect limited to 3 total/Pokemon (Spiky Shield and King's Shield are not included)

Arena Description: Evolution Stadium

Located in the ruins of Old Asber, yours truly (Coloursfall) has built himself a lovely little array of arenas. Evolution Stadium is one of them! Resembling your standard Asber-regulation battle arena, it is large enough to fit several of the very largest Pokemon at once, and has a pool of water in the middle to accommodate waterbound battlers.

But the remarkable thing about this area is that while in its walls, all battlers are forcibly (though temporarily) pushed up to their final evolutionary stage. They behave as a Pokemon of this level would, down to using damage calculations for a Pokemon of their evolutionary stage. A Pokemon with more than one final evolution will have theirs selected by their trainer at sendout.

Mmhh why not.

Open challenge, since I don't seem to have done one yet?

Format: 2vs2 single
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Attract, Direct recovery, OHKOs, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon, Protect/Detect limited to 3 total/Pokemon (Spiky Shield and King's Shield are not included)

Arena Description: Evolution Stadium

Located in the ruins of Old Asber, yours truly (Coloursfall) has built himself a lovely little array of arenas. Evolution Stadium is one of them! Resembling your standard Asber-regulation battle arena, it is large enough to fit several of the very largest Pokemon at once, and has a pool of water in the middle to accommodate waterbound battlers.

But the remarkable thing about this area is that while in its walls, all battlers are forcibly (though temporarily) pushed up to their final evolutionary stage. They behave as a Pokemon of this level would, down to using damage calculations for a Pokemon of their evolutionary stage. A Pokemon with more than one final evolution will have theirs selected by their trainer at sendout.

Sounds fun! Mind if I take this? I should have an open slot now that my battle with Noel is voided.

Deep underground lies a most curious ruin. The central chamber, where the battle will be held, is square in shape with rounded corners, and extends up into a domed ceiling. The walls are made of yellow stone, extend 5 meters from floor to the base of the dome, and are adorned with beautiful mosaics of lapis lazuli and pearls. The chamber is flooded with seawater about 1 meter deep. Platforms of solid yellow stone rise about 2 meters above the floor and connect to the walls, with stairs going down to the floor away from its wall. Each wall bears an ornate door on its platform, but they are well and truly sealed off to all comers. One thick pillar rises from the center of the chamber up to the top of the dome, with a spiral staircase wrapping around it that stops suddenly when it reaches the base of the dome, leading to nowhere. Was it unfinished...? How did we get in here? How will we get out?

Additional Rules: Knuddeluff will be using his Tentacool, and I'll be using my Ralts.
I got this.

Reserved for VM.

Format: 2v2, Singles
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: 60%
Banned moves: OHKOs, Evasion, all Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, and Fairy moves, both damaging and non-damaging. Attract may only be used by female Pokemon.
Arena: r/atheism

m'battle

Ever wondered why Reddit has the reputation it does? Well, a lot of it is due to this subreddit, and the most well-known stereotypes about this subreddit have (temporarily) been absorbed by the Pokemon here. (Fortunately, they will revert to their non-problematic selves after the battle.)

The effects of this arena:

- All male Pokemon have the base power of their damaging moves increased by 10, but all female and genderless Pokemon have the base power of their damaging moves decreased by 10.
- All white Pokemon have the base power of their damaging moves increased by 5, but all brown/black/yellow Pokemon have the base power of their damaging moves decreased by 5. This stacks with the above.
- All Pokemon with some sort of head covering (for example, Breloom, Honchkrow, Probopass) take 10% less energy to attack. Horns do not count.
- All Pokemon with a beard take 10% less energy to attack. This stacks with the above.
- Female Pokemon may use Attract, but not male Pokemon.
- Should an equine Pokemon use Attract, even Protect will not stop it. (You know why. *winks*)
- When a Pokemon uses a Rock-type or Water-type attack, damaging or non-damaging, its health and energy will be restored by 1% each. (Props to you if you figure out why this one's here.)
- This is r/atheism, so, as has been stated, no Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, or Fairy attacks are permitted.
- When a Pokemon uses a Grass-type attack damaging or non-damaging, the target will have its Attack lowered by one stage for the next two actions.

Last edited:
Time for my first metronome battle of the revived ASB.

Format: 3v3 Single
Style: Rotation
DQ: 1 Week
Banned Moves: Everything except Metronome!
Damage Cap: None
Arena: Cinnabar Eastern Shoreline
The sea to the right, the volcano to the left. The terrain is rocky with the odd hardy plant growing out of a crack in the stone floor. To the southwest, the notable buildings of Cinnabar (including the gym and the lab) can be seen from the battle spot, and to the northwest is the islands most popular beach. Let's hope there are no stray Draco Meteors or anything... As for the volcano, any ground shaking move (ie Earthquake or Magnitude etc) has a 20% of triggering an eruption from the volcano (wouldn't that be terrible?). Of course if there is an eruption (not including the move) the RNG Gods will protect us from the deadly lava while we finish our battle. Finally once a trainer has had 2 Pokémon KO'ed, there is then a 5% chance at the start of each round for Missingno. to appear and glitch out the local area, turning everything to grey-scale and only allowing Gen 1 moves to be called for the rest of the round. (Missingno. cannot appear for 2 rounds after it has appeared.)
Profile: Why have a simple battle?

Other: At the start of the battle the trainers must send out all three of their Pokémon, and state in which order they will rotate through (ie 1 > 2 > 3 > 1). It does not take an action to rotate between Pokémon. No Pokémon can be on the field for more than 2 rounds without rotating out.

I'll try this

i am so not going to regret this.

Open Challenge~
This is pretty much guaranteed to be pretty quick (and I want my LudiBROlo)
Format: 2 vs 2 singles
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO, Direct Healing, Attract, Trick Room
Arena Description: The Trick Room

When Pokémon try to use Trick Room, what do you think would happen? That they just get that energy themselves? No, no, no. It has to come from somewhere. They call upon the energy of one mystical room itself, most likely created by Giratina as an extension of the Distortion World. We have, through extensive meditation and a little help from the league Abra, ended up in this mysterious room. Because our pokemon are sensitive to the effects, they have to be recalled after 5 rounds. If there isn't a knockout by then, the Pokémon with the greatest sum of health and energy wins. If there is a knockout, then the KOing pokemon has to be recalled too, as the trick room tricks them into thinking they are knocked out, not the opponent. They still get KO exp like normal.
Additional Rules:Trick Room is always in effect! And each Pokémon has to be recalled after 5 rounds, so this battle will end, at the latest, in 10 rounds. Also I would prefer there to not be any type shenanigans so could we agree beforehand on what Pokémon we'll use? I want to use my Iwawock the Geodude and my Spirit the future Ludicolo (hopefully).

Have an extra battle slot, so let's use this shamelessly stolen arena :D

Format: 3v3 single
DQ: 1 week
Damage cap: 40%
Banned moves: OHKOs
Arena: Abandoned Stone Factory

This arena is situated in the dilapidated warehouse of a factory employed at one time to make evolution stones. It was evacuated about 25 years ago- possibly after some sort of accident, nobody knows. All they do know is there's radiation from the stones they worked with everywhere and the place is in terrible shape. After a lot of inspection and research by guys with Geiger counters and lead suits, the radiation was declared harmless to humans and Pokémon. People who insist on entering for whatever strange reason are now allowed to do so. However, the radiation, though harmless, has some... interesting effects on Pokémon. Due to its intensity it can randomly mutate Pokémon into an entirely different species. At the end of each round, both Pokémon will evolve at random into anything, from Magikarp to Tyranitar. Pokémon may move back and forth along the evolution scale, by any number of spaces, but may not change into any Pokémon within the same family twice in a row (e.g. Machop -> Krookodile or Dragonite -> Caterpie are legal, but Sandile -> Krookodile or Dragonite -> Dratini are not). Typing and movepools will shift to accommodate their new form, but abilities, status effects and stat changes remain after evolution (except where burned Pokémon evolve into Fire types or poisoned Pokémon evolve into Poison or Steel types.) There are also samples of the factory's erstwhile stock lying under the rubble, meaning that Pokémon have a 5% chance of discovering a random evolution stone each action. These are forbidden from being removed from the premises, but trainers will be remunerated by $1 for each stone confiscated at the end of battle. The dilapidated nature of the arena also means that vigorous attacks that upset the ground or structure will cause bricks to crumble away, and there is a 30% chance that the falling rocks will hit a battling Pokémon, dealing 5% Rock damage.

Other: No water, so fish Pokémon are not recommended; however there are many large chunks of floor gouged out of that could be filled up.

Have an extra battle slot, so let's use this shamelessly stolen arena :D

Format: 3v3 single
DQ: 1 week
Damage cap: 40%
Banned moves: OHKOs
Arena: Abandoned Stone Factory

This arena is situated in the dilapidated warehouse of a factory employed at one time to make evolution stones. It was evacuated about 25 years ago- possibly after some sort of accident, nobody knows. All they do know is there's radiation from the stones they worked with everywhere and the place is in terrible shape. After a lot of inspection and research by guys with Geiger counters and lead suits, the radiation was declared harmless to humans and Pokémon. People who insist on entering for whatever strange reason are now allowed to do so. However, the radiation, though harmless, has some... interesting effects on Pokémon. Due to its intensity it can randomly mutate Pokémon into an entirely different species. At the end of each round, both Pokémon will evolve at random into anything, from Magikarp to Tyranitar. Pokémon may move back and forth along the evolution scale, by any number of spaces, but may not change into any Pokémon within the same family twice in a row (e.g. Machop -> Krookodile or Dragonite -> Caterpie are legal, but Sandile -> Krookodile or Dragonite -> Dratini are not). Typing and movepools will shift to accommodate their new form, but abilities, status effects and stat changes remain after evolution (except where burned Pokémon evolve into Fire types or poisoned Pokémon evolve into Poison or Steel types.) There are also samples of the factory's erstwhile stock lying under the rubble, meaning that Pokémon have a 5% chance of discovering a random evolution stone each action. These are forbidden from being removed from the premises, but trainers will be remunerated by $1 for each stone confiscated at the end of battle. The dilapidated nature of the arena also means that vigorous attacks that upset the ground or structure will cause bricks to crumble away, and there is a 30% chance that the falling rocks will hit a battling Pokémon, dealing 5% Rock damage.

Other: No water, so fish Pokémon are not recommended; however there are many large chunks of floor gouged out of that could be filled up.

This sounds fun. Yoink! :0

Open Challenge~
This is pretty much guaranteed to be pretty quick (and I want my LudiBROlo)
Format: 2 vs 2 singles
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO, Direct Healing, Attract, Trick Room
Arena Description: The Trick Room

When Pokémon try to use Trick Room, what do you think would happen? That they just get that energy themselves? No, no, no. It has to come from somewhere. They call upon the energy of one mystical room itself, most likely created by Giratina as an extension of the Distortion World. We have, through extensive meditation and a little help from the league Abra, ended up in this mysterious room. Because our pokemon are sensitive to the effects, they have to be recalled after 5 rounds. If there isn't a knockout by then, the Pokémon with the greatest sum of health and energy wins. If there is a knockout, then the KOing pokemon has to be recalled too, as the trick room tricks them into thinking they are knocked out, not the opponent. They still get KO exp like normal.
Additional Rules:Trick Room is always in effect! And each Pokémon has to be recalled after 5 rounds, so this battle will end, at the latest, in 10 rounds. Also I would prefer there to not be any type shenanigans so could we agree beforehand on what Pokémon we'll use? I want to use my Iwawock the Geodude and my Spirit the future Ludicolo (hopefully).

Hey, this looks fun! I'll take it.

DQ: 1 week ?
Damage Cap: 35% ?
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, & what the opponent chooses ( with-in reason )
Arena Description: a forest, that is similar to the first forest in Red/Blue/Yellow
Additional Rules: opponent's choice

Back
Top Bottom