• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Well, You Thought Wrong

Until I got to my rival in firered after the elite four, I thought I would get two human traveling companions.

I thought there was a secret water route in D/P/Pt to go south to Kanto.

Last edited:
I remember, when I first started out, I thought that Psychic was weak to itself. Never trust the TCG.

Also, for no reason, I thought Ghost was weak to water. I still do like to use water moves on ghosts for this reason, although I know it doesn't work much better.

I also fell victim to the Spacecenter false cheats, and thought that if I caught all of the regional Pokémon, I would be able to go to Johto.

Finally, I thought Johto was the region of Colosseum (I started out with Firered, and heard Johto and colosseum, and made the false connection.

Due mainly to its typing in the TCG, but also because of Ruby, my sister and I used to think Groudon was a Fighting/Dark type... I also used to think Wynaut evolved with happiness.

I wasn't actually a fan of Pokémon back then, but when I was in third grade and the anime was nearing Orange Islands or something, I heard people talking about Pokémon all the time. When I heard them mention Staryu and Starmie... I assumed the two were some sort of little fairy. Yeah. I didn't know many species back then... but shortly after, i got into the anime, and the next year, the games with Crystal.

Speaking of Crystal, I thought that starting over would save my Pokédex data. To be fair, I can blame that Lego GBC game I had back then for this. You collected cards throughout the game, and the data stayed after you restarted. I never did beat that game, but it led me to believe that I could keep the info in my Dex. Why did I restart? I thought that you had to beat the first Ruins of Alph puzzle to progress with the game. I couldn't figure out what to do, so I started over. Yeah.

I, among others, was convinced that if you completed the National Pokedex in R/S/E the nice Game Freak people would give you a Johto starter. I tested this on a used Ruby with a Gameshark. It doesn't work....

For the longest time I thought Stantler was named something else (I think it started with "Eu", as in "Europe"). I blame the Japanese cards I have; since the names were unreadable and I hadn't played G/S/C or watched much of the anime, I made them up.

Also like many people, I thought Ghost was a Special type, meaning that the Shadow Balling Espeon I have lying about on Emerald is completely useless until I migrate it to Platinum. I also thought that Fighting wouldn't affect Ghost types.

Again, because of my lack of Johto knowledge, I thought Sneasel was an Ice/Steel type. You can understand my confusion; both types were introduced in the same generation, both are superaffected by the Fighting type, and Sneasel has these wicked claws which could be made of steel. It even learns Metal Claw by leveling up! I only just found out the truth when I caught one in Platinum.

I used to think capturing Pokemon was a button timing game, due to my experience with Paper Mario's timed hits.
So I would tap A+B everytime it would wiggle, or frantically press A while it wiggled.
It wasn't until I read about the 'Catch Rate' formula did I learn button mashing and timing didn't actually help.
...I still do it for good luck though. ;)

I once didn't realise Slowpoke's evolution line was split, and thought that it went Slowpoke>Slowbro>Slowking and not Slowpoke>Slowbro/Slowking. I still have trouble getting my head around that fact.

I once didn't realise Slowpoke's evolution line was split, and thought that it went Slowpoke>Slowbro>Slowking and not Slowpoke>Slowbro/Slowking. I still have trouble getting my head around that fact.
Same here. It just seems like that's the way things should be; I mean, he's named SlowKING! How can Slobro NOT evolve into him? It defies all logic. >: (

Same here. It just seems like that's the way things should be; I mean, he's named SlowKING! How can Slobro NOT evolve into him? It defies all logic. >: (

I remember thinking on that Crystal cart that you have your Slowpoke, while holding a Kings Rock, battle a Shellder to make it evolve into Slowking.

I didn't get a strategy guide to figure this stuff out until I had already beaten the E4.

For the longest time I thought Stantler was named something else (I think it started with "Eu", as in "Europe"). I blame the Japanese cards I have; since the names were unreadable and I hadn't played G/S/C or watched much of the anime, I made them up.

I think that the original English name for it was Scaribou. I still call Stantler that because it sounds cooler.

I used to think capturing Pokemon was a button timing game, due to my experience with Paper Mario's timed hits.
So I would tap A+B everytime it would wiggle, or frantically press A while it wiggled.
It wasn't until I read about the 'Catch Rate' formula did I learn button mashing and timing didn't actually help.
...I still do it for good luck though. ;)

Same here. My family used to press the A buttons in Pokemon games when we were waiting for something, including Pokemon to be caught or escape. Then my brothers somehow got it into their heads that that helped you catch Pokemon.

Last edited:
I don't know if this counts, but my DS had a glitch that meant if you tried to transfer Pokemon from the Advance games, the save file on the Advance game would be deleted. My little brother used to think this was Nintendo's way of "punishing" us for not defeating the Elite Four twice.

This one got me too. I actually have a guide for G/S which says that Slowbro evolved into Slowking.

Back
Top Bottom