• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

...did you answer my question?
I guess not. Let's try that again:

Superbird said:
...Let's say a pokémon enters the field, and it has the ability Trace. If its opponent has two abilities at the time (ex. its original ability plus Levitate from having used Magnet Rise), does the one with Trace inherit both of the abilities or just the original ability?
The pokémon traces all abilities that are inherent to that pokémon or the results of attacks they have used. For example, if a pokémon uses magnet rise and thus ends up with two abilities, both abilities are traced. An ability conferred by an item can't be traced, however, so if a pokémon has flash fire because it's holding a magmarizer, that ability won't be traced.

Would Thunder be attracted to a Pokemon with Magnet Pull?
No. That would be lightning rod.

Also, a question of my own. We don't have charging turns in this league, but, if we did, and if somebody started charging on the last action of a round, would that person be forced to open the next round with the fully-charged Solarbeam?
Yes, although they might be able to combine it with something.

Substitute the way it's normally reffed (as opposed to the way I usually ref it with the user actually leaving play) doesn't do a particularly effective job of avoiding sound-based moves, right? Specifically, you can't use one to attempt to avoid flinching from something like snore? I'm sure the answer's that you can't but please say you can
"Standard" substitute works fine against sound-based attacks. So I guess what you mean when you say flinching is "losing the focus for focus punch"? If so, the snore would be blocked by the substitute and the focus punch would go through fine.

Can a Pokemon that's currently preoccupied with flight make a substitute?
Yes.

No, I'd meant literally flinching, as in what snore's effect does; I was just curious because if the sub's creator is still in play then theoretically it should still hear the sound-based move, and I wouldn't think that snore is directed the way, say, sonic boom is. But okay! I guess it's just a handwavey sort of thing. If you say so, awesome.

Last edited:
I didn't realize snore caused flinch. But yeah, the attack is blocked entirely, so no flinching can happen.

As for how snore and other sound-based moves are blocked, I imagine it's Just Magic, in the same way that substitutes are able to prevent the damage from attacks like surf, earthquake, and eruption.

Steel Wing said:
The user tenses the muscles in its wing and imbues it with metallic power until it reaches the strength of steel, then smashes it into the opponent, possibly badly breaking up its skin and slightly lowering its defense.

Steel Wing has a chance to raise the user's defense, not lower the target's defense.

Let's say the opponent does Physical damage close to damage cap point. If I use Counter, does it still only do the damage-cap amount of damage? That would only be like a few percentage more damage than the opponent did to you...

Let's say the opponent does Physical damage close to damage cap point. If I use Counter, does it still only do the damage-cap amount of damage? That would only be like a few percentage more damage than the opponent did to you...

Doesn't matter. All damage hits the cap unless self-inflicted.

Steel Wing has a chance to raise the user's defense, not lower the target's defense.
Fixed.

How much energy does Safeguard cost?
1% per action.

3% for setup, 1% upkeep per action.

When Snatch is used, is energy for the Snatched move expended by the Snatcher or the Snatchee?
Snatcher, plus 1% for the snatch itself.

Can Round have its power doubled if used in an arena that, um... has good acoustics?
No.

Back
Top Bottom