• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

A Pokemon Taxonomic System.

Sesquipedalian!

Eats Luftwaffles for Breakfast
Indeed, the idea in itself is quite useless and unnecessary as our classification of Pokemon is already quite sound when referring to the game play itself, but I am quite curious as to how one may be developed efficiently.

It is indeed noted that Pokemon in themselves hold a number of distinctions that separate themselves from each other and are classified into their associate groups - Body Form, Colour, Type, Egg Group, etc.

In such a case, what would one consider the greatest method of classifying Pokemon per a taxonomic system? In the Linnaeus-based biological classification system - the system most everyone is familiar with - we hold Domain, Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and Species. Of course, Pokemon is by far less complex than the aforementioned, so on what grounds may we classify the species?

For example, would it be more sound to hold Egg Groups as major sections with subdivisions associate with Pokemon elemental types? Of course, the factor of being double-typed and holding two egg groups is unwieldy in itself. And how may one differentiate between individual species? We already hold specific "Pokemon Species" names, however some of these are shared - for example, both Flygon and Xatu share the "Mystic Pokemon" title, and specific Pokemon in their own evolutionary lines themselves share the same species title.

A handful of days ago, as a result of extensive boredom and tomfoolery in Pokemon White and on the internet, I created a basic method of truncating Egg Group names into pseudo-scientific linguisto-cides and horrific destructions of what were once Latin and Greek:

Monsteros (Mons-) - Monster
Amphibios (Amphi-) - Water 1
Chitinisomos (Chiti-) - Bug
Avios (Avi-) - Flying
Telluros (Telluro-) - Ground
Neireidos (Nei-) - Fairy
Xylonos (Xylo-) - Plant
Anthropos (Anthro-) - Humanshape
Anchordatos (Anchor-) - Water 3
Petros (Petro-) - Mineral
Akathoros (Akatho-) - Indeterminate
Piscos (Pisco-) - Water 2
Dittos (Ditto-) - Ditto
Drakonos (Drako-) - Dragon
Anavgos - No Egg

Note the prefixed names besides the names proper. How may this tie into the factor of two egg groups? The prefixed name of the egg group may be added as an aforementioned prefix to the second egg group. The result is a single word that describes the fact that the Pokemon may be found in both egg groups.

For example, Gyarados resides within both the Water 2 and Dragon egg groups. Thus, its Egg Group classification may be "Anchor- + Drakonos" = "Anchordrakonos".

Of course, this method is extremely unwieldy and overly complicates simple systems. It is fun, however.

In conclusion, what are the opinions of the public on a Pokemon Taxonomic System? Do you believe it is possible, or are the systems of differentiation in Pokemon too convoluted for a sound classification system? And what of the above questions?

Last edited:
This... is amazing. I don't see much practical use for it, but impressive work anyway.

How would man-made Pokemon like porygon be categorized?

I'd think classifying Pokémon in any sort of taxonomic system would be pretty much impossible, if you look at the definition of a "species"; i.e. a group of organisms exclusively capable of reproducing amongst themselves. This would mean each egg group is a different species, and Pokémon throws dozens of clearly-separate organisms under each, and in many cases several. So strictly speaking, there are only fifteen 'species' of Pokémon. And some individuals are more than one species.

Good luck squeezing phylums and orders and what have you into that. :p

What you've done is absolutely amazing. And really awesome, I must say.

However, I fail to see exactly what applications it would have on anything. ;)

But if you need classification help or something, I'll gladly sign up for that.

I did something like this about two years ago! I was young and stupid, though, so it wasn't nearly as logical or real-lifelike as this. I applaud you!

This... is amazing. I don't see much practical use for it, but impressive work anyway.

How would man-made Pokemon like porygon be categorized?

Thank you dearly, good sir. In the context of Egg Groups, it may be noted that Porygon is (oddly) of the Mineral group, thus its classification would be that of the Petros grouping. Though it may be more appropriate to group anthropogenic Pokemon in separate categories altogether, Porygon is listed as such due to, indeed, the game itself.

I'd think classifying Pokémon in any sort of taxonomic system would be pretty much impossible, if you look at the definition of a "species"; i.e. a group of organisms exclusively capable of reproducing amongst themselves. This would mean each egg group is a different species, and Pokémon throws dozens of clearly-separate organisms under each, and in many cases several. So strictly speaking, there are only fifteen 'species' of Pokémon. And some individuals are more than one species.

Ah indeed, I was considering that myself - hence my consideration of what would be defined as a direct "species" in the Pokemon world - a definition clearly different from our conventional taxonomic classification.

Thank you, I shall indeed see what else I may conduct.

What you've done is absolutely amazing. And really awesome, I must say.

However, I fail to see exactly what applications it would have on anything. ;)

But if you need classification help or something, I'll gladly sign up for that.

Thank you dearly. Indeed, this is all more of a novelty at heart but I have always found it interesting to apply scientific concepts to Pokemon itself (yes, that does sound quite silly). It would be quite a pleasure to see your assistance as well, thank you for the offer.

With my basic knowledge of languages, I think that you should swap Water 2 and Water 3.

Ah, you are correct! Thank you dearly for pointing that out, I shall mend the error immediately.

I did something like this about two years ago! I was young and stupid, though, so it wasn't nearly as logical or real-lifelike as this. I applaud you!

Thank you. It is wonderful to see even at a young age such an interest in classification, indeed.

As for the aforementioned progress, a possible task may be to further subdivide the above egg groups into elemental types and their associate combinations (complete with more fancy names and linguistic massacres, of course). I may see what I may conduct as such but my basic plan is to use a similar prefixing template for double-typed factors. And indeed, any of you good people are quite free to offer your options and suggestions as well, both in the factor of elemental typing and a classification system in general.

Well, obviously this wouldn't work strictly within the biological taxonomical system used to categorise actual life, so I think maybe we could get away with re-defining "species" as "individuals". Perhaps each evolutionary family could have a genus, and then each member of that family would be a specific species? That seems the best way to identify genetic similarity between individual Pokémon.

Working from the top down, we can probably do away with domains, since all Pokémon are eukaryotes. For kingdoms we could just take animalia and plantae straight from the existing system (merging fungi with plantae, because really I don't think Paras, Parasect, Shroomish, Breloom, Foongus, and Amoongus really need their own kingdom), and then add one for mineral/non-organic Pokémon. Also, maybe one for ghosts and legendaries?

Then between those and genera, we sort them by body style. Now, these change between evolutions and even formes sometimes, so I'm not sure of the fairest way to do that; maybe go by the first evolutionary stage or default forme?

...I'm getting way too into this.

Last edited:

That's only one definition of species. There are plenty of examples in the real world that don't adhere to it (anything that doesn't reproduce sexually; ring species), and plenty of other definitions have been proposed (here's one: the set of populations inhabiting any one specific ecological niche, as distinct from all other such niches).

Well, obviously this wouldn't work strictly within the biological taxonomical system used to categorise actual life, so I think maybe we could get away with re-defining "species" as "individuals". Perhaps each evolutionary family could have a genus, and then each member of that family would be a specific species? That seems the best way to identify genetic similarity between individual Pokémon.

Working from the top down, we can probably do away with domains, since all Pokémon are eukaryotes. For kingdoms we could just take animalia and plantae straight from the existing system (merging fungi with plantae, because really I don't think Paras, Parasect, Shroomish, Breloom, Foongus, and Amoongus really need their own kingdom), and then add one for mineral/non-organic Pokémon. Also, maybe one for ghosts and legendaries?

Then between those and genera, we sort them by body style. Now, these change between evolutions and even formes sometimes, so I'm not sure of the fairest way to do that; maybe go by the first evolutionary stage or default forme?

...I'm getting way too into this.

Indeed, a redefinition of "genus" and "species" per your aforementioned terms would be the most appropriate. I shall simply hope we may duly name them in an appropriate classification? As for the factor of body style (per the other comment), it may indeed be a possibility if classifying per the generalization of the first evolution in each line, but it may not paint as accurate a picture for possible other evolutions in the line itself.

As for the Kingdoms idea - it is absolutely and undoubtedly quite wonderful indeed. Per your statements, we may thus classify Pokemon into six distinct "Pokemon Kingdoms", however I may, if ever so slightly, mend the suggestion of "Ghosts" into "Amorphous Shapes", if possible:

- Animals (i.e. Charmander)
- Plants (i.e. Bellsprout)
- Amorphous (i.e. Haunter)
- Minerals (i.e. Geodude)
- Artificially-inspired (i.e. Voltorb)
- Legendaries (i.e. Moltres)

Of course the above names will require their own fancy shenanigans. As per the debate of whether to use Old Norse or Latin words - either is quite fine! Whatever may be the most suitable, efficient, and convenient, I may suppose.

And I must thank you all for such an interest in the idea, indeed.

"Ghost" was probably rather a clumsy name; I meant just a general "immaterial/amorphous" category for things that don't really have a physical or strictly-defined shape, which would mostly be ghosts, so. As for all the body shape shenanigans, maybe there isn't a reasonable way to assign one to an entire evolutionary family that shifts significantly in shape as it evolves, unless we just mash them together where more than one is suitable,like in the original idea with multiple egg groups. But then when there are up to three getting involved that would just be long and unweildy.

Maybe using egg groups wouldn't be such a bad idea after all; at least they remain generally consistent throughout evolutionary families. But then the mineral, plant and amorphous kingdoms already cover almost exclusively one egg group. Hrm.

Last edited:
For kingdoms we could just take animalia and plantae straight from the existing system (merging fungi with plantae, because really I don't think Paras, Parasect, Shroomish, Breloom, Foongus, and Amoongus really need their own kingdom), and then add one for mineral/non-organic Pokémon.

I agree about the Pokémon that are solely based on mushrooms, but Paras and Parasect are actually bugs with parasitic mushrooms on them, so you can classify them as bugs.
The greatest problem about the Grass-type is that there are some Pokémon whose animal and plant aspect are much harder to separate. You can put Leafeon together with other Eeveons and Wormadam together with Mothim and Burmy, but which kingdom would the Grass starters belong into?
(Lileep and Cradily are obvious animals, so there is no problem with them)

Any Grass-type with more animal qualities than plant ones would go under animals.
Anyway, because I evidently have far too much time, I've compiled a rough list of what should go into what kingdom (I put Lileep and Cradily in plants because I always thought they were fossilised plants :V):

ANIMALS
Bulbasaur - Golbat, Paras - Bellsprout, Tentacool, Tentacruel, Ponyta, Rapidash, Slowpoke, Slowbro, Farfetch'd, Doduo, Dodrio, Seel, Dewgong, Shellder, Cloyster, Drowzee, Hypno, Krabby, Kingler, Cubone, Marowak, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Lickitung, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Chansey, Kangaskhan, Horsea, Seadra, Goldeen, Seaking, Mr Mime, Scyther, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Pinsir, Tauros, Magikarp, Gyarados, Lapras, Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Omanyte, Omastar, Kabuto, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Snorlax, Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Chikorita - Bellossom, Marill, Azumarill, Politoed, Aipom, Yanma, Wooper, Quagsire, Espeon, Umbreon, Murkrow, Slowking, Wobbuffet, Girafarig, Pineco, Forretress, Dunsparce, Gligar, Snubbull, Granbull, Qwilfish, Scizor, Shuckle, Heracross, Sneasel, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Swinub, Piloswine, Remoraid, Octillery, Delibird, Mantine, Skarmory, Houndour, Houndoom, Kingdra, Phanpy, Donphan, Stantler, Smeragle, Tyrogue, Hitmontop, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Miltank, Blissey, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar, Treecko - Ludicolo, Taillow, Swellow, Wingull, Pelipper, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Surskit, Masquerain, Slakoth - Azurill, Skitty, Delcatty, Meditite, Medicham, Electrike, Manectric, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Carvanha - Flygon, Swablu, Altaria, Zangoose, Seviper, Barboach, Whiscash, Corphish, Crawdaunt, Anorith, Armaldo, Feebas, Milotic, Kecleon, Tropius, Absol, Wynaut, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein, Clamperl, Huntail, Gorebyss, Relicanth, Luvdisc, Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Turtwig - Luxray, Cranidos - Floatzel, Shellos, Gastrodon, Ambipom, Buneary, Lopunny, Honchkrow, Glameow, Purugly, Stunky, Skuntank, Mime Jr, Happiny, Chatot, Gible, Gabite, Garchomp, Munchlax, Riolu, Lucario, Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Skorupi, Drapion, Croagunk, Toxicroak, Finneon, Lumineon, Mantyke, Weavile, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Electivire - Mamoswine, Gallade, Snivy - Zebstrika, Woobat - Scolipede, Basculin, Sandile, Krokorok, Krookodile, Darumaka, Darmanitan, Dwebble, Crustle, Scraggy, Scrafty, Tirtouga, Carracosta, Archen, Archeops, Zorua, Zoroark, Minccino, Cinccino, Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle, Ducklett, Swanna, Deerling, Sawsbuck, Emolga, Karrablast, Escavalier, Alomomola, Joltik, Galvantula, Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross, Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus, Cubchoo, Beartic, Shelmet, Accelgor, Stunfisk, Mienfoo, Mienshao, Druddigon, Bouffalant - Volcarona

PLANTS
Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Tangela, Bellossom, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Sunkern, Sunflora, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Shroomish, Breloom, Cacnea, Cacturne, Lileep, Cradily, Budew, Roserade, Cherubi, Cherrim, Carnivine, Snover, Abomasnow, Tangrowth, Cottonee, Whimsicott, Petilil, Lilligant, Maractus, Foongus, Amoonguss, Ferroseed, Ferrothorn

AMORPHOUS
Grimer, Muk, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Koffing, Weezing, Ditto, Misdreavus, Slugma, Magcargo, Gulpin, Swalot, Castform, Shuppet, Banette, Duskull, Dusclops, Drifloon, Drifblim, Mismagius, Spiritomb, Dusknoir, Rotom, Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus, vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe, Frillish, Jellicent, Cryogonal

MINERAL
Geodude, Graveler, Golem, Onix, Sudowoodo, Steelix, Corsola, Mawile, Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Solrock, Lunatone, Bonsly, Roggenrola, Boldore, Gigalith

NON-ORGANIC
Magnemite, Magneton, Voltorb, Electrode, Porygon, Unown, Porygon2, Nosepass, Baltoy, Claydol, Beldum, Metang, Metagross, Bronzor, Bronzong, Magnezone, PorygonZ, probopass, Sigilyph, Yamask, Cofagrigus, Trubbish, Garbodor, Klink, Klang, Klinklang, Golett, Golurk

LEGENDARY
Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Jirachi, Uxie - Victini, Cobalion - Genesect

UNDECIDED
- Staryu/Starmie; amorphous/non-organic/mineral
- Sableye; amorphous/mineral
- Chimecho/Chingling; non-organic?
- Snorunt/Glalie; non-organic? (need to fit in a group with Froslass)
- Elgyem/Beheeyem
- Litwick/Lampent/Chandelure; amorphous/non-organic
- Pawniard/Bisharp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom