• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Religion and Lack of Religion

The line "I and my father are one" still doesn't support the Trinity, in case you're wondering, Trinity is three. That's two.
Matthew 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." seems to cut it. If not, 2 Corinthians 13:14 "The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen."

Did you know that in the Qu'ran it's possible that the "virgins" referred to for paradise, may actually not be "virgins"... instead may actually be a fruit similar to a pomegranate?

Mistranslation. Virgins... citrus... eh, they're all the same.
Sorry, can't find any info on this. Mind directing me to some source?

Also, it's NOT JUST TRANSLATIONS!

I will give an example. Look up Martin Luther.
Head of the protestant reformation. Translated Bible into German. Composed many hymns. 95 Theses. Did he utterly change the Bible or something?

"Huh?"
I'm saying that if the passages were to coincide with each other, one can deduce that is what happened.

"Heresay" not "Heresy"
If you mean "hearsay", then I don't understand. I looked it up in the Bible for myself, got a sense of the context.

What does this prove, how does this relate to the Gospels, and how does this, or the Gospels, explain Noah's flood?

The article says that Jews of other religions were killed as well:
"Class defined a Jew as anyone, regardless of their religion, whose grandparents or parents were Jews in 1871."

But uh I guess Jehovah's Witness' were killed as well? Is that what you were getting at? If so, the reason wasn't so much religious as the fact that they "refus[ed] to pledge allegiance to the Nazi party or to serve in the military."

Here let me google that for you... :P

Wikipedia can be your friend.[/QUOTE]
Nah, I found it when you mentioned Catchism of the Catholic Church. It's alright, I know what it is now.

The Old Testament has been translated from Hebrew to Ancient Greek to Latin to whatever language you are now reading it in. The New Testament has been translated from Ancient Greek to Latin to whatever language you are now reading it in. I think you can see where mistranslations can come from.

The Old Testament has been translated from Hebrew to Ancient Greek to Latin to whatever language you are now reading it in. The New Testament has been translated from Ancient Greek to Latin to whatever language you are now reading it in. I think you can see where mistranslations can come from.

Yeah, no one seems to really care. I have infinite rage feelings about this, honestly. Like, yeah, steal our religion and then mistranslate all of it and then don't bother to even learn the original texts, go ahead. I don't even like Judaism and I still hate Christianity for blatantly appropriating the torah. :| Pfeh. And they get it all wrong, too, sigh.

I don't know. Though I see where you're coming from (assuming I'm reading you correctly), there shouldn't be anything more difficult about translating from Language A to Language B than from Language C to language D. Ancient Greek and Latin are no more complicated or hard to speak than, say, Spanish and Swedish.

The problem lies within the very idea of translation. I've heard it argued that
true translation is impossible, period. I couldn't tell you a whole lot about the idea but I can tell you it has a lot to do with not understanding the culture and thought behind words. Like man in English and man in Swedish aren't going to necessarily carry the same connotation and complete meaning.

But that's probably a really poor explanation of a cool idea that is probably obvious to most people.

Actually the time I was first introduced to the concept was when the problem of translating the Bible was brought up in one of my classes. There's a whole lot of little things that could mean a lot to a native speaker of some dialect that will get unintentionally discarded by a translator. Not to mention it's pretty hard for any translator tasked with something like the translation of a religious text or something similar to not incorporate popular ideas of the time. Do you think someone translating an older version of the Bible is going to put down ideas that could currently get him ostracized?

I would like to add to this, with the truth that nothing makes sense.
A deity of any sort can be disproven by the question "so, where'd they come from?"
Of course, the Big Bang theory comes in mind too. Where would the particles necessary to create that explosion come from. Give me an answer, now tell me where that came from.
Logic is an endless loop of unanswerable questions. Thus, meaning it is impossible for fact to exist. If we ask a question, it will always lead to another.
For this reason, I don't care enough to believe in anything.

A deity of any sort can be disproven by the question "so, where'd they come from?"
Of course, the Big Bang theory comes in mind too. Where would the particles necessary to create that explosion come from. Give me an answer, now tell me where that came from.
Why does that disprove a deity or the big bang theory? We don't know where a lot of things came from both here on Earth and in space; does that mean they don't exist? We don't know where the particles came from, but why would that mean they weren't there at all? Those don't necessarily have any relevance to each other! an absence of an answer doesn't make you right in this case, it just means we don't know the answer, rather than an answer not being there at all.

I mean it's a good point to make about both God and the big bang theory, but if that's kind of your only criterion as to whether things exist or not that's ... pretty wonky. Both of these things have quite a bit more complexity than where they come from, as I'm sure you're aware.
Logic is an endless loop of unanswerable questions. Thus, meaning it is impossible for fact to exist. If we ask a question, it will always lead to another.

that's great but I'd like to know how exactly you come to any conclusion at all if it's impossible for a fact to exist? do you not expect the sun to come up everyday because it's not a "fact"? How do you form ideas or opinions about anything if you don't consider logic a thing that works and exists? it's one thing to be skeptical about religion or science because they don't know everything*, but it is quite another thing to not 'believe in' logic.

Secondly you're ... making logical assumptions when you question both God and the big bang theory (not necessarily correct assumptions, but logical ones!). You're using logic to form your own argument here so um ???

*and the fact is nobody knows about everything! nobody has the answers to everything, but people still consider both science and religion important. I'm sure you still probably rely on people who have studied human biology for years and years to tend to your medical issues, for example! we come in to life having zero answers about anything, just like everybody else, which is what makes these discussions interesting! so you can see why demanding an answer to origin the big bang or God is inherently ridiculous.

also, "Thus, meaning" is tautological jsyk

Last edited:
If you don't believe in logic, then the only answer I need to give you is "boom-chicka-wow-wow".

Besides, if you don't think we can rely on logic to reach conclusions, why are you even trying to justify your way of thinking using logic? The phrase "for this reason" kind of implies you're trying to be logical.

And if fact doesn't exist, how can you claim that what you're adding to this discussion is "truth"?

Be glad you guys can excommunicate yourself. :| There's no ex-Jewing yourself. I'm stuck a Jew for life. (And that's totally not indoctrination, nooooope!)

You can get rid of your Jewishness. Religion is based on faith and belief, so if you don't believe, you won't belong to it anymore.

I've been baptised in the Catholic Church, but I don't go to the church, I don't follow the doctrine and I lean towards atheism, and no one excommunicated me. And I don't consider myself a Catholic.

You can get rid of your Jewishness. Religion is based on faith and belief, so if you don't believe, you won't belong to it anymore.
picture.php

Last edited:

er correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Jewishness is kind of deeper than that culturally? if your entire family is Jewish I'm not sure you can really not be Jewish without not living with your family anymore.

also if it was just that easy I'm... pretty sure pathos wouldn't be having this problem. :o

Judaism is a culture as much as it is a religion - I know a bunch of Jews who were culturally VERY Jewish but did not believe in the religious tenets

MD I wish your image would load. :[

Yeah Judaism is sort of an ethnicity as much as a religion, but because it's entrenched into religion it's a pain in the ass. Like, you're Jewish only if your mother was Jewish - but how does that make sense ethnicity-wise? (It makes sense in no way, honestly, but let's pretend.) Then once you proclaim your atheism, people still go along telling you no you're Jew you were born Jew and it's hard to separate religion from ethnicity in this matter.

Honestly, I like the ethnicity part, if it weren't so confusing and muddled. :v

Well I meant the religion of course, though you can get rid of the culture as well... Since Jewish religion and culture are so intertwined with each other, getting rid of one effectively eliminates the other, because the cultural act has religious grounds.

Just not the ethnicity. That's in your cells, I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom