• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TCoD Wi-fi League

kyeugh

onion witch
Pronoun
she/her
Me and I liek Squirtles were talking about this the other day, and we decided it would be cool if TCoD brought the Wi-fi League back up. I mean, it's a pretty good time, now that Gen VI just came out and everything. I think it could be made active again with a little work. I mean, obviously hope hasn't been entirely abandoned on it because the forum is still unlocked. What do you all think about bringing it back?

I'd like to see it expanded to include Pokemon Showdown. I'm on Showdown practically every day, and I'm pretty sure many people here use it too. Of course, the revamped Wi-Fi league would also include X/Y PvP play, too.

wfl, eh ... I haven't actually competitive very much in standard metagames since, like, gen 5, and I only barely managed to get into obscure metagames recently ??

I wouldn't really be able to anything until next year really but

Pokémon Showdown would be a good idea. I just see a lot of potential in the League recently, and it's not being used.

there's been potential there, several times, even. there's never been the critical mass for it to sustain itself though; it always burns out after a while. the first time was ... a few months, I think, and last one was ... three months, it looks like.

well, that was three years ago, it looks like. it might possibly be worth another spin. greater use of simulators could help, maybe? I wouldn't expect too much, though.

On top of the fact that the forum is active enough to sustain it, a new Generation was just released and we have access to online battle simulators, which are really pretty fun. I see no reason it couldn't work out beautifully.

I'd be happy to sorta aim to give it a breath of fresh air but, as said previously, the interest in the league tends to fizzle out after a while. When it comes to doing things like competitive play in a tournament style, people just tend to stop participating half way through.

If there's enough people, there's not enough dedication to see one thing out from beginning to end. When there's dedication, there's usually a lack of people. Not sure if this is due to how the league has a competitive/non-competitive split though. Personally I think the entire organisation would need some kind of overhaul just to get all of the gears running smoothly again. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that without first talking to Kratos and/or Chalumeau about it simply because they're much more competent than I am when it comes to these things, haha.

But y'know, if there's enough interest then it's definitely worth looking into. Not really sure how many people are actually interested, mind.

The worst thing that could happen is that it fizzles back out again, and that won't hurt anyone. There's a chance that it'll end up successful, I'm just suggesting that we take it. Although you're right in saying that the interest is probably limited, I don't see it getting much better; a new Generation came out and we have battle simulators at our disposal now. Now's the best time, if it'll happen at all.

But there have always been battle simulators available and it had been suggested previously that they were incorporated into the WiFi league. There just simply wasn't enough interest to make it feasible at the time.

Well, the integrity of 3DS PvP matches has been compromised due to the introduction of Battle Analyzer, so I recommend that if this starts up, we switch to Pokemon Showdown.

I'd honestly hope people would have the decency not to use any tools like that here.

EDIT: Apparently people are developing anti-cheating tools to send fake teams and movesets to the opponent's Battle Analyser. Hopefully this can be effective, maybe?

Yes, it would have to be a policy not to use those. In any case, having to use anti-cheating tools is ridiculous and I can't believe we've gotten to that stage.

Most of us here are pretty honest people, and I think consequences should be taken if we find you're cheating. I don't think that's too harsh.

me said:
en: okay so when cheating tools like this get developed, it's like
en: and say, no, it's not detectable.
en: and then people get worked up and cry ~unfair advantage, ban~
en: but like, no
en: it isn't
en: it's only unfair as long as it's kept, like, a secret
en: which it isn't
en: and yes, for a while, it becomes super-centralising
en: but once tools get developed to defeat that advantage
en: there are interesting metagame consequences
en: especially in openings
en: where you don't know whether what's being broadcasted is real, or if that's just what they want you to think
en: and keeping in mind people are actually really bad at being random, even false broadcasts can provide interesting information
en: i.e. what they want you to think, and if that's what they want you to think, how do they want you to respond
en: and how might they respond to that
en: how do you respond to that
en: and did they anticipate that
en: people seem to think it would destroy the metagame
en: and it's like
en: no
en: it doesn't
en: well, it does
en: but it replaces it with a different metagame
en: I'm mean I'd love that kind of a metagame, but there sure, yeah, there are people who wouldn't
en: well not that it matters to me, since I only simulator and haven't games and wifi for, like, what, two generations? but
en: unless you can find a way to enforce a ban on it
en: that /is/ the metagame.
en: well, that becomes the wifi metagame
en: and your options are to play according to the metagame
en: or take it to a simulator which can enforce bans on it
en: (well, doesn't implement it, rather probably)
en: and hey, at least it's an interesting metagame
en: it could /definitely/ be worse

I believe it's worth mentioning that Instacheck is no longer a thing, thanks to the 1.2 update released yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom