• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon POV writing.

ParsnipTheRaichu

Apple Prouductions
Pronoun
he
So, I'm writing a story from a Pokemon's POV for the first time. I'm having a bit of trouble wording everything right, so I'm wondering if you guys can help. :sweatdrop:

Actually, if you're interested, Butterfree's two tQFTL spinoffs provide an excellent example of pokémon point of view done well.

Of course, that's a scyther point of view, so I'm not sure how that would work for whatever pokémon you're writing from.

As a general suggestion, you might want to look at this. Serebii's forums held a contest focusing on pokémon-POV stories several years ago. You don't necessarily need to read through the entries/excerpts themselves (though obviously they'd help with context, and the higher-placing ones might also serve as good examples for you), but I'd definitely recommend looking through at least a handful of the judges' comments on each entry. They had a lot of good insight into what worked and what didn't work when it came to the poké-centric plots and viewpoints, and you may find their advice useful when working on your story.

As a general suggestion, you might want to look at this. Serebii's forums held a contest focusing on pokémon-POV stories several years ago. You don't necessarily need to read through the entries/excerpts themselves (though obviously they'd help with context, and the higher-placing ones might also serve as good examples for you), but I'd definitely recommend looking through at least a handful of the judges' comments on each entry. They had a lot of good insight into what worked and what didn't work when it came to the poké-centric plots and viewpoints, and you may find their advice useful when working on your story.

I would especially recommend elyvorg's winning entry from that contest. In addition to just being very well written it's one of the few that really considers what would be different from a Pokemon POV.

I would especially recommend elyvorg's winning entry from that contest. In addition to just being very well written it's one of the few that really considers what would be different from a Pokemon POV.
For what it's worth, the full story is here, if you weren't able to find it from the contest thread.

Anyway, not sure you're still looking for recs, but I can't resist the opportunity to plug a couple things while I have the opportunity. starling-night's "Almost Like Flying" is a great (but very sad) one-shot from a scyther's POV. It deals with the experience of being trained from a pokemon's perspective, and it is not happy, but I think it does a nice job of showing the conflict between the trainer's view of the world and the pokemon's experience.

If you're up for something a little longer, Sike Saner's Communication is conveniently available right here on these forums; the main character is a snorunt.

A lot of pokemon POV stories feature protagonists who still think like humans, even if they have different senses/priorities/abilities/etc. If you're looking to go for a more alien or animalistic perspective, the writer I've found who does it best is Farla. Inheritors most closely fits the bill, but there's also Ice, which while not technically poke-POV, is close enough IMO. The POV character isn't human, anyway. Both of those are unfinished, but I think there's plenty to learn from there nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom