• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Blastoise vs Squornshellous Beta

Dave Strider

the best coolkid
Blastiose said:
2-on-2 single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct healing moves heal only half the normal amount

Arena: Nimbus Citadel

High above Asber, past they first layer of cottony white clouds, there lies a patch of sky and clouds famed for the unusual wind currents that shift and mold the clouds into a variety of odd, castle-like shapes. Although undetailed, the cloudscape looks unmistakeably like a large medieval fortress. Some even say that it is a favorite haunt of Rayquaza or perhaps flocks of flying Shaymin, but these claims are unproven (although quite numerous).

For all the mystical rumors about the place, the cumulus castle is, in fact, made of the same mundane water as the rest of Asber's clouds. Thus, it is not advisable to use a non-flying or levitating Pokémon for reasons that the Pokémon Protection Agency hopes are obvious.

Blastoise's Party

[Huskington] Shedinja [X]
Wonder Guard

[Codegrah] Chancey [F]
Serene Grace

Hippocampus] Slowking [M]
Own Tempo

[Koutus] Electrike [F]
Static

[Phoebe] Feebas [F]
Swift Swim

[Clairent] Shellder [F]
Skill Link

[Coronada] Misdreavus [F]
Levitate

[King's English] Ralts [M]
Synchronize

[Pawawow] Snorunt [F]
Ice Body

[The Bard] Murkrow [M]
Super Luck

Squornshellous Beta's Party

Baltoy (Genderless)
Levitate

Bronzor (Genderless)
Levitate

Nincada (Male)
Compoundeyes

Wooper (Female)
Water Absorb

Spheal (Male)
Thick Fat

Zubat (Female)
Inner Focus

Hoothoot (Male)
Insomnia

Numel (Female)
Oblivious

Swablu (Male)
Natural Cure

RNG says:
Blastoise sends out
Squornshellous sends out and attacks
Blastoise attacks
I procrastinate ref

Gogogo Baltoy.
Simple orders for this round.
Safeguard ~ Sandstorm ~ Ancientpower
(Also, what happens if a Pokémon falls asleep or is fully paralyzed or whatever? Do they fall out of the sky?)

oh no a ground type oh wait we have other moves that do 2x damage hahahaha

Fire off a Signal Beam at the little clay figurine, that'll teach him to spin so nauseatingly! Then try a Bite followed quickly by an Iron Tail. We shan't worry about the Ancient Power, since we're at least a mile above the ground.

Signal Beam ~ Bite ~ Iron Tail

((I would imagine that paralyzed flyers/levitators wold flail around a bit when moving, whereas sleeping birds would fly in circles while levitating 'mons would just float.))

Oh, blast, I misunderstood how Ancientpower works. I thought it worked like the Animé, where it comes out of the Pokémon's body. @.@

Blastoise(OO)
koutuswings.gif

Koutus (F)
Ability:Static
Health:100%
Energy:100%
Commands: Signal Beam ~ Bite ~ Iron Tail

Squornshellous Beta(OO)
baltoy
Baltoy (X)
Ability:Levitate
Energy:100%
Commands: Safeguard ~ Sandstorm ~ Ancientpower

Nimbus Citadel. Not often visited by humans. One reason is all the rumours of a large Rayquaza living up in the towers. The other is that its in the middle of the sky, generally restricting access. However, today is an exeption. The sound of flapping wings is heard, coming closer and closer to the castle. A few large Pidgeot reach the citadel, bringing upon them two eager trainers and one very frightened ref. The referee quickly glosses over the rules, and tells the trainers to send out their pokemon. The trainers pull out their Pokeballs and release the pokemon inside. Blastoise sendt out her shiny Electrike, who immediately tries to grab some footing before quickly realizing she has to use her odd little wings. Squornshellous Beta decides to send out her Baltoy, who begins to float in the air, thou roughly examining her surroundings.. Both trainers give their commands, and the ref nervously waves out a couple of flags, signaling the start of the round.

Round 1 Begin

Baltoy starts of the action with a rather action-less move. It focused on making a barrier, making its fingers glow green. The light grew into a series of small threads, which weaved and entwined themselves into a thin, airy, pale green barrier around the spinning top. Koutus recognises the Safeguard, not that it was going to do that much to her plans. She built up two spheres, buzzing with energy in front of her mouth, making sure to keep hovering in the same place. Satisfied that she had charged up enough, she fired the beams at Baltoy. The lights twirled around in a double helix, twisting before hitting Baltoy on the arm. It spins backwards out of control, only stopping when she hit a portion of the crenelation.

Baltoy hovered out of the clouds. That attack hurt. Baltoy decided get its own back with her next attack, a vicous sandstorm! Wait... Sandstorm? Baltoy knew it could do that, but it wasn't really very effective in areas with no sand, let alone the sky! What was it meant to do? Koutus took advantage of her confused little opponent and flew towards it at high speed. She bit the spinning top on the torso, making the toy cringe in pain. Koutus flew back, looking on the bite marks she had left on her opponent.

Baltoy grumbled. First, it had two powerful attacks hit it quite powerfully, and then it had been told to use a move that wouldn't work without sand, which there wasn't. Baltoy started its next attack. her eyes glowed blue, shining with psychic energy. A beam of light burst out of its eyes, shooting down to the rock, a few miles below. down at ground level, a few rocks hovered meekly above the ground, before falling back the ground, probably confusing any passers-by. So, Baltoy thought, that didn't work. Koutus smirked happily. She flew back at the Baltoy, her tail glowing a shining white. The glow eventually turned into a thin sheet of metal around the tail. Koutus span around slamming her tail into the top, sending it flying backwards again.

The ref waved his flags nervously, just as Baltoy was getting its balance back. He gulped, nervously shouting "Round 1 end!"

Blastoise(OO)
koutuswings.gif

Koutus (F)
Ability:Static
Energy:79%
Commands: Signal Beam ~ Bite ~ Iron Tail

Squornshellous Beta(OO)
baltoy
Baltoy (X)
Ability:Levitate
Health:63%
Energy:81%
Commands: Safeguard ~ Sandstorm ~ Ancientpower

Ref Notes:
Koutus was slower than Baltoy because of her Bionic Wings.
Bite landed a crit, dealing 16% damage. Ouch.
Sandstorm didn't work because we're in the sky. Ditto for Ancientpower.
Blastoise attacks first next round.

Last edited:
Good girl.

Crunch, then Ice Fang and then another Crunch. If the little dolly Protects, Chill out, and if it uses a different non-attacking move, use Leer. Only use Leer once, though, we want to attack at least once.

Crunch/Chill/Leer ~ Ice Fang/Chill/Leer ~ Crunch/Chill/Leer

I hate flying Electrike. It can pull a super-effective move on every one of my eligible Pokémon, but as far as I can tell you're at the least danger from it, being immune to a good chunk of its attacks.
Also, sorry, I misunderstood how Ancientpower works and the Sandstorm thing was a brain failure on my part.
Now, the actual orders.
Hide in the cloud formation. Make your position as hard to determine as possible, since then it may well miss. Then use Toxic. You should be protected from Leer, since your eyes are closed and it needs eye contact. Then use Psychic.
Hide in clouds ~ Toxic ~ Psychic

Nimbus Citadel

High above Asber, past they first layer of cottony white clouds, there lies a patch of sky and clouds famed for the unusual wind currents that shift and mold the clouds into a variety of odd, castle-like shapes. Although undetailed, the cloudscape looks unmistakeably like a large medieval fortress. Some even say that it is a favorite haunt of Rayquaza or perhaps flocks of flying Shaymin, but these claims are unproven (although quite numerous).

For all the mystical rumors about the place, the cumulus castle is, in fact, made of the same mundane water as the rest of Asber's clouds. Thus, it is not advisable to use a non-flying or levitating Pokémon for reasons that the Pokémon Protection Agency hopes are obvious.​

Blastoise (Oo)
koutuswings.gif

Koutus (F) <Static>
Health: 100%
Energy: 79%
- Flying happily through the clouds.

Squornshellous Beta (Oo)
baltoy
Baltoy (X) <Levitate>
Health: 63%
Energy: 81%
- Sand and rocks in clouds? Seriously?​

Baltoy seemed overly relieved at its commands. No rocks. Good. It quickly spotted the cloud formations and floated over to them, nudging itself in between the soft dewyness. Perfect. It was certainly uncomfortable on its skin, but it was also certainly harder to see. As was evidenced by Koutus. The electrike saw the baltoy disappearing into the clouds but couldn't tell exactly where it had gone afterwards - clouds were shifting constantly and, well, it was hard to see. But her commands were clear: if the baloty used something that wasn't an attack, she was to leer. So she did. She gave the most vicious leer she possibly could, and no one saw it. It was all very disheartening. Someone should have seen that leer, she worked very hard on it. But nope. No one.

Back in the clouds, Baltoy tried to imagine where Koutus would have been. It needed to, since the clouds worked both ways: she couldn't baltoy, baltoy couldn't see her. It figured it knew arouuund where the electrike-type might be, and it gagged up an awful, distasteful, gooey slop of toxic sludge, aimed, and spat it out. Unfortunately it went no where near the electrike.

Koutus watch with shock and bemusement as toxic suddenly appeared through the cloud formation, hit nothing and fell to the ground far below them. Snrk. Nice aim. Her grin widened, baring her teeth, which were beginning to grow cold - very cold. She thought she knew where the baltoy was now that it had attacked. And now that her jaw was so cold it felt like there was a freezer in there, she spread her wings and dove for the baltoy -

- dove through the clouds -

- and found nothing. Spread her wings again and halted her flight, released the ice energy in a wasted bite on the clouds, and growled. What a waste indeed.

Baltoy, though, felt it finally had a good idea for where its opponent was. It closed its eyes and relied on its mind instead, focusing on the psychic aura of the opponent, and when it felt it had grabbed hold it attacked. Koutus screamed in pain at the sudden intrusion; it came from nowhere and was so, so painful. It felt like the worst migraine you could ever have, like her brain itself was imploding, and she clawed at her head in an attempt to rid herself of the invading baltoy. After what felt like hours, the attack finally died down, leaving an exhausted, panting electrike.

Koutus blinked her eyes in an attempt to collect her wits. The first attack to hit her, and it was bad. She needed revenge of some sort. She needed... to attack. Dark bile began to drip from her fangs as she tried to rid herself of the remaining psychic energy; she began to growl in anticipation of her attack. She sniffed the air, looking for the baltoy, and when she thought she found it - she dove once more.

And this time she hit home. Her jaws locked on the baltoy's head, dark energy dripping from her sharp fangs onto the ground-type's hardened skin. Baltoy seemed to shrivel in pain before Koutus ripped herself off, flapped her mechanical wings and spread the clouds, allowing a clear view of her opponent. Allowing her to see the dark matter dripping from the bite wounds she had left, the grimace on the baltoy's face; revenge was sweet.​

Blastoise (Oo)
koutuswings.gif

Koutus (F) <Static>
Health: 82%
Energy: 59%
- Take that!

Squornshellous Beta (Oo)
baltoy
Baltoy (X) <Levitate>
Health: 54%
Energy: 69%
- Ow. :[
- Defense -1

Final Notes:
- I'm assuming Koutus has the smallest wings because no information is given about them.
- Leer, Toxic and Ice Fang all missed due to the cloud formations.
- Psychic was a critical hit.
- Crunch lowered Baltoy's defense.
- Squornshellous up next.

Bah, I'm losing. :(
Let's go with moves that don't need you to see Electrike! And will help you to heal!
Double team to make as many clones as you can manage, then Rest. And since I think you can Chill in your sleep, do that.

Double Team ~ Rest ~ Chill

Well... then start up an Uproar for just two actions. We'll teach this thing to sleep on our watch! Then use Iron Tail. Don't worry about the clones, since the clouds will just flow through them and show you that they're fake. If you can't find the real one, use Swift instead.

Uproar ~ Uproar ~ Iron Tail/Swift

Nimbus Citadel

For all the mystical rumors about the place, the cumulus castle is, in fact, made of the same mundane water as the rest of Asber's clouds. Thus, it is not advisable to use a non-flying or levitating Pokémon for reasons that the Pokémon Protection Agency hopes are obvious.​

Blastoise (Oo)
koutuswings.gif

Koutus (F) <Static>
Energy: 59%
- Take that!

Squornshellous Beta (Oo)
baltoy
Baltoy (X) <Levitate>
Health: 54%
Energy: 69%
- Ow. :[
- Defense -1​

Baltoy, though not the fastest of pokemon, can seemingly pull off astonishing speeds when needed: it edges away from Koutus and zoom. It's gone. Doing circles around the normally faster electric-type at such speeds that the clouds are disappearing into thin wisps, so fast that the baltoy becomes just a blur of brown; so fast it seems to double, triple, quadruple. Koutus blinks, trying to clear her vision, but even as the baltoy slows down she's seeing doubles. Baltoy slows to a stop and - yep - there are 5 of them. Even though there are no clouds blocking their vision, Koutus still has difficulty figuring out who, exactly, to attack.

Luckily her next attack doesn't need such considerations. She grins and - screams. Just the loudest, most deafening scream anyone in their right mind has ever heard. Ever. It's horrible and all the baltoy squint their eyes and cling their hands to their head in an attempt to drown it out, but it's impossible. And even worse the electrike doesn't even pause to catch a breath; she seems to have an endless stream of air coming from somewhere. It's never-ending noise at an unbearable level.

The baltoy tries as hard as it can to drown out the noise in its head, to try and take a nice, very welcome rest, but it's just impossible. There's no chance at all of resting. At all. The noise is so deafening the psychic-type it can barely bare to think, let alone sleep.

So the baltoy tries to take a simple relaxation break instead, just regain some energy. This is a bit more successful - there's no actual thought involved, and it manages to block out the screams a bit, but it's still very hard. So hard. To ignore that screaming. The never-ending screaming. How does the thing manage it, no breaths, non-stop, uhg? How? At this point Baltoy is just wishing it would die. A horrible horrible death.

Unfortunately, for both, Koutus finds that she cannot follow her commands: she's stuck. The uproar has gotten hold of her. She just can't stop screaming. Maybe it's the pure desire to cause havoc, to bother her opponent, or just the attack itself that has taken hold of her, but either way she's stuck. And Baltoy is definitely not thankful.

The worst part is just how tired Koutus is getting. The uproar takes so much more energy than Koutus expected, and the repeated flapping to keep herself airborne is taking its toll; exhaustion is creeping up, and fast.​

Blastoise (Oo)
koutuswings.gif

Koutus (F) <Static>
Energy: 35%
- Err I wish I could stop, sorry.
- Locked into Uproar (one more action)

Squornshellous Beta (Oo)
baltoy
Baltoy (X) <Levitate>
Health: 42%
Energy: 58%
- SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!
- Defense -1; 4 clones (4% energy per action)

Final Notes:
- Uproar doesn't rely upon actual contact so it didn't miss.
- Uproar also locks the pokemon into using it, this time for 4 actions.
- Chill regained less energy than usual because of the noise (caused by Uproar).
- Blastoise up next.

What does it mean where it says "(4% energy per action)" in Baltoy's notes? If it's to keep Double Team going, I don't think it works like that, does it?

Also minor nitpick: where it says Baltoy can barely "bare" to think, it should be "bear".

Yes, it does work like that. Check Energy and Damage guide.

Idc about typos, seriously, is that what you're reading the battle for?

Oh, I see. No, that refers to actually creating the clones, not keeping them. No other battle I've ever seen does it that way. If needs be I'll go ask in the A+A thread, though.

No, I don't look specifically for typos, but if I see them I point them out.

Different refs ref differently, and some might not point it out. I have been reffing this way since forever. Go ask if it's that important to you.

Also:

Also reversing a previous ruling on uproar so that it is no longer the suckiest attack ever: uproar can be commanded to last for a specified number of actions when it is first used. No other attacks can be used during that time, but the uproar will end after the appropriate number of actions. If uproar is triggered by something other than a trainer's command, though, it will still be random 3-5 actions with nothing else usable during that time.

Mmk - Squorn, do you want to ask about double team, because if I'm gonna edit I would like to edit just once.

Ending in a DQ as per request.

Koutus and Baltoy each get one EXP. I believe both parties would get $8 for having one Pokémon each used against them, but as a draw, prizes are halved, so that’s $4 each. And I would get $5, but I guess half of that rounds to $2. So, uh… there you go, guys.

Back
Top Bottom