• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Windows vs. OS X vs. Linux

Which is your OS of choice?

• Total voters

mewtini

sorry guys, don’t lose
Pronoun
she/her
Let SPARTA begin!

Seriously, though, what d'you guys think? I'm a Linux-er, installed varying OSes on my crappy computer over five times in the past two months. :T

This computer (for school) came with Windows 7 Enterprise (I wasn't admin), but I figured out how to worm through admin rights and I got Linux. (I was first running Ubuntu Quantal [12.10], but am now using KDE Plasma on Xubuntu.)

I really think that OS X is beautiful, though, and am now considering installing Pear Linux 6, except I wanted to try it out in VMWare Player and it won't work.

Pear Linux 5 worked, but it's nothing more than a minimally styled GNOME 3 paired with Docky.

images

Hah, just kidding. But really, I have no clue what you said.

I find iOS to be much better looking and more accessible. I prefer it, although its missing an equivalent to Paint, which MS Paint pixel artist here does not approve of.

I mainly use windows so I can play as many of the games I own as I can.

I would have linux as well if it weren't for some idiotic person over at Dell who decided it was a good idea to prevent you from booting into any OS other than the one that comes with the laptop unless you don't mind your computer not turning on at all ever again without any warning that they do this. My brother eventually came up with the solution of downloading an illegal version of windows to get the files that Dell's software deleted (because they decided it would be better to put the windows recovery stuff on the hard drive instead of on a CD like they used to do and which made much more sense) in order to make the computer work at all.

So yeah I'm never shopping from Dell again.

Mozankairu: how DARE YOU /menacing

Hah, I am a bit of a nerd computer whiz. :D You mean OS X? The absence of Paint can get irritating, I imagine, but there must be something you could download!

Rasrap: Yeaaah, I keep Windows as a dualboot, part because it's my school's image and part for compatibility.

>:c Bad Dell. What version of Windows did you get? I don't think it's downright illegal >_>

neh, I don't really care so much about an OS as long as I can use it - majority of arts labs at uni are Macs because they're generally just better for most arts applications, especially for things like film editing. I use a windows laptop at home just because I've always used windows and it's easy, and apple products tend to be more expensive generally for what they are (because you're paying for the brand name as well as the product). The only real issue I've ever had with OSes is that my 3D software has a less stable release on OSX, so it tends to crash for no reason or do weird things when I'm at uni.

@ Photo Finish: I literally don't know anybody who has had a good experience with Dell, they seem to be a pretty scummy brand for some reason. I usually buy samsung because they've never really failed on me and their customer service is super great in my experience! they do tend to be more expensive though.

I use Windows 7 on my laptop, but my dad's desktop runs some flavour of Ubuntu (pretty sure it's Precise Pangolin?), which I use occasionally. I've never been able to get my head around using OSX or Macs (my boyfriend is an Apple person) in general, though, but I think I might just be stubborn!

Also, Dell is pretty terrible :( I have a Sony laptop myself, which I've never had problems with, but my old Dell was a nightmare.

Dell is bad. Build your own machine!

I use Windows 7 at the moment, and I'm kind of tempted by Windows 8. I also know that, as a (mathematician U computer scientist) I need to familiarize myself with some Linux platform at some point. Suggestions? I want easy to use and stable. Doesn't have to be particularly interesting.

Linux all the way. I go Windows when I need to use something else, which is almost never these days. I have to use OSX for work and have never hated an OS so much in my life.

Never had any problems with Dell myself... my Dell desktop has been running without a hitch for going on eight years now, and my laptop would be doing the same if I hadn't accidentally soaked it in water for a couple of hours. As it is it still works mostly fine (and I'm typing on it right now). You do have to buy the "business class" products if you want any kind of quality, but that's true of most PC manufacturers...

I mainly like OS X. Windows is better for games, but I like OS X's interface more. Never used Linux. My family likes Windows better and thinks Macs are too expensive, though, so I have a PC at home and use the school Macs and a Chromebook for other machines.

I use windows currently. It works for me, I suppose, and it's certainly the single one of the three that can run the most stuff. However, I really do appreciate macs and I prefer the OS X interface to that of Windows. I've never tried Linux.

Negrek - finally, another Linux-friendly person!

Windows definitely runs the most stuff. For me, though, all I need is Chrome and Thunderbird (and not quite that, but I prefer TB to Gmail itself), and then GIMP.

Although, I haven't gotten Java to work right, and it isn't because of the zero-day hack. Another thing that Linux-ers better not need is the use of Shockwave Flash, because Adobe blissfully ignores Linux. The only thing you could do would be to virtualize or to use Wine, both of which are rather slow. (Says the kid using a laptop with 2GB RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo. :P)

Although, I haven't gotten Java to work right, and it isn't because of the zero-day hack. Another thing that Linux-ers better not need is the use of Shockwave Flash, because Adobe blissfully ignores Linux. The only thing you could do would be to virtualize or to use Wine, both of which are rather slow. (Says the kid using a laptop with 2GB RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo. :P)
Indeed... I don't need either of them and despise both Oracle and Adobe, so I see those particular incompatibilities as more of a blessing than anything.

Yeah, but I so happen to really really need Java. For school.

On the other hand, good ol' Adobe Flash works - Youtube works...

Dell is bad. Build your own machine!

I'll consider that when I get around to getting a desktop, but for until I finish university I'm sticking with laptops, which I don't expect are very possible to build yourself?

Mohac - I'm late to notice this, but I was moreso talking about desktop OSes, not iOS. Even OS X has a bunch of differences from iOS that stem from being a computer and not a little touch thingy.

Rasrap - Eh, it's possible to build laptops! I'm thinking of doing it someday when I have several hundred dollars to spend... I think laptops are a bit less *customizable, but you stlil have your pick of a bunch of components.

*customizable isn't actually a word

Customizable is a word.
I knew what you meant. I was refereeing to the desktop, but I didn't know they had different names. My opinion holds true.

I just kinda stick with the OSes that come with my computer honestly (I know I'm going to be drawn and quartered for this-- vista on desktop, windows 7 on laptop), any problems I have are never really OS-related and more to do with the hardware. T: Otherwise my computers do what I want em to do so I'd rather just not change anything, because I'm never at that much of a loss for things to do...

That and lots of games I like to play don't have/have worse Mac clients, or don't run on Linux at all. So...

Customisable is a word on Neopets... :c.

I use Windows, because my laptop hates GRUB or Linux or just having partitions or something idek and the people on the Kubuntu forum didn't know either so eventually I just grabbed my files off my /home and moved on. It was a wasted few weeks of my life so I have a tiny bit of a grudge.

I keep Kubuntu and OS X Lion installed in VirtualBox but I never actually use them. I've haaaated OS X ever since I was forced to take up way too much of my life working on some robot for some competition on a team of Apple fanboys, all of whom apparently thought gluing hardware bits together was way more fun than actual programming and there were a bunch of shenanigans with everyone getting ill from bad omelettes and stuff idk. So everytime I see a Mac I think of that and I'm like nooooope.

Back
Top Bottom