• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon

I am a bit disappointed that there aren't any new fossils.

The Hawaiian islands are volcanic and only formed a few million years ago. It's not impossible for there to be fossils of some kind, but you're not going to see any extinct dinosaurs or mammoths or anything there. Considering how much attention they're paying to things like Hawaiian culture and actual invasive species, it would've been weird if there were native fossils.

The Hawaiian islands are volcanic and only formed a few million years ago. It's not impossible for there to be fossils of some kind, but you're not going to see any extinct dinosaurs or mammoths or anything there. Considering how much attention they're paying to things like Hawaiian culture and actual invasive species, it would've been weird if there were native fossils.

That is a very good point. I never thought of that.

So I've really decided to split my efforts between Sun and Moon - on the former I think I'm going to use a team of Alolan variants of Kanto-native species, and on the latter I'll do a team consisting solely of new 'mons. I'm a bit let down by the relative lack of total new species, but much like Kalos this region seems to have a lot of quality rather than quantity.

I'm also super excited for the latest trailer and everything revealed in there. Cynthia coming back is literally my favorite thing, and the fact that she was the first to pop up in the video might be rather innocuous but feeds my hopes for Sinnoh remakes. <3

I was quite worried when I first saw the design for Incineroar. When it finally got to Bulbapedia, I was like "Yay, it's not Fighting!"

I was quite worried when I first saw the design for Incineroar. When it finally got to Bulbapedia, I was like "Yay, it's not Fighting!"

So as far as types, I really like all three combinations, but I'm not particularly enthused by any of the three designs. This might be the second generation in a row in which I leave starters off my team completely. Alola has some solid designs and more than enough to build a team I love, but I'm not sure about the starters.

PSA for everyone buying a digital copy of Sun or Moon: you can already buy and preload the game to your 3DS so you can start playing the moment it releases in the Eshop (only do this if you think you can handle the game icon relentlessly taunting you ever time you boot up your console :'D ). Plus (at least for us Europeans, dunno if other regions get the bonus), you get a code for 12 Quick Balls after the download. :O

Does anyone know where I can find gender ratio information for the pokémon in Sun/Moon (including leaks)? I've seen plenty of posts of stats, learnsets, evo data, but I'm looking specifically for info on the gender ratio. For example, I'm guessing that the legendaries and ultra beasts are all genderless, and probably Magearna? Minior and dhelmise are probably genderless? Is the bounsweet line all female? And so on.

Does anyone know where I can find gender ratio information for the pokémon in Sun/Moon (including leaks)? I've seen plenty of posts of stats, learnsets, evo data, but I'm looking specifically for info on the gender ratio. For example, I'm guessing that the legendaries and ultra beasts are all genderless, and probably Magearna? Minior and dhelmise are probably genderless? Is the bounsweet line all female? And so on.
I do know that Salazzle has a 100% chance of being female, and the starters have their typical 7:1 male to female ratio, but that's all I've managed to uncover.

Last edited:
Sooo, now that the lucky among you are going to be getting the game in a few hours' time (or perhaps already have the game, if you found a less-than-legal download), what are your plans? Have you got your team all worked out yet, or are you planning to make something up as you go along? Want to use a bunch of new pokémon, or take advantage of all the older goodies they stuffed into the Alola 'dex? (Seriously, we have HOW many fossils and pseudo-legendaries??)

I'm not going to get my copy until Saturday, since I hemmed and hawed over preordering for so long that it eventually became moot, so I'll go in for my free card and poster instead.

As usual I want to make a team with as many new 'mons as possible. This is what I'm looking at:

Decidueye
(Midday) Lycanroc
Salazzle
Palossand
Golisopod

Golisopod's spot is kind of a free space. I like the design quite a bit, but I might end up going with silvally there instead, depending on how/when we end up getting ahold of it in-game. Drampa's another possibility, if I can get a trade for it in a reasonable amount of time. Vikavolt's another possibility, and something that I imagine's going to be in my party all throughout the early game at least.

And then, of course, there's my one concession to past generations... The most fabulous of all Alola forms... Indeed, probably the most fabulous of all pokémon...

ADugtrio_ADigdri_ATriopikeur_RGB_72dpi.png

All in all I think this looks like a fun, balanced team to play. It's unfortunate that Spoopy Sandcastle and Fantastic Hair overlap types, but Spoopy Sandcastle and Fantastic Hair are kind of the most important members of the team, so nothing I can really do about that.

Sooo, now that the lucky among you are going to be getting the game in a few hours' time (or perhaps already have the game, if you found a less-than-legal download), what are your plans? Have you got your team all worked out yet, or are you planning to make something up as you go along? Want to use a bunch of new pokémon, or take advantage of all the older goodies they stuffed into the Alola 'dex? (Seriously, we have HOW many fossils and pseudo-legendaries??)

I'm not going to get my copy until Saturday, since I hemmed and hawed over preordering for so long that it eventually became moot, so I'll go in for my free card and poster instead.

As usual I want to make a team with as many new 'mons as possible. This is what I'm looking at:

Decidueye
(Midday) Lycanroc
Salazzle
Palossand
Golisopod

Golisopod's spot is kind of a free space. I like the design quite a bit, but I might end up going with silvally there instead, depending on how/when we end up getting ahold of it in-game. Drampa's another possibility, if I can get a trade for it in a reasonable amount of time. Vikavolt's another possibility, and something that I imagine's going to be in my party all throughout the early game at least.

And then, of course, there's my one concession to past generations... The most fabulous of all Alola forms... Indeed, probably the most fabulous of all pokémon...

ADugtrio_ADigdri_ATriopikeur_RGB_72dpi.png

All in all I think this looks like a fun, balanced team to play. It's unfortunate that Spoopy Sandcastle and Fantastic Hair overlap types, but Spoopy Sandcastle and Fantastic Hair are kind of the most important members of the team, so nothing I can really do about that.

Speaking of which, here's a handy team planner with all the Alolan Dex 'mons.

Anyway, my team thus far is
Decidueye
Turtonator
Drampa
Alolan Golem
???
???

(I have no idea what to put here- new 'mons, old 'mons, Alolan 'mons- because there are just way too many great pokemon to pick from. I'm thinking MAYBE Toxapex and Pink Oricorio for balance, but I'm definitely open to suggestions!)

I don't generally plan out teams since I prefer to let things happen organically; definitely going to try to stick to new things and maybe some Alolan forms, though. All I can say for sure is that I'm gonna have decidueye, and then one of either passimian or kommo-o; I'll probably do kommo-o but if passimian shows up first and I get attached to it then that's cool, too. Golisopod is also a very strong possibility, especially since we don't need to worry about making HMs usable so I can finally use water-types with terrible special attack yaaaaay. If I do use an Alolan form, it'll probably be either ninetales or Hanson up there, but I dunno if I'm going to.
I may also end up taking solgaleo along, solely because it amuses me that it's an evolution. Beyond that, who knows? :D

Now I just need to make sure I've got a handle on NaNo before they arrive in the mail sometime tomorrow because I told myself I wasn't allowed to play before finishing the day's wordcount. I will probably cave, of course, but I'm trying to be semi-productive!

I tend to plan my teams based on what Pokémon the Gym Leaders, Elite Four and Champion are using... but now that they've all been removed, the entire "strategizing" point is moot and I'll probably just use Pokémon as I catch them.

I know Kommo-o will be going on my party in both games, and Alolan Ninetales in Sun.

Back
Top Bottom