• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Picking up Sunflower vs Zora because I can.

after that i should probably stop going for all the newest battles on the board :B

Hopefully this won't be too confusing.

Format: 1v1v1 Single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Rest, Chills
Arena Description: A Butterfly House!

Butterflies... butterflies everywhere! From Butterfree to Vivillon to Beautifly. But, we can't leave the moths out, so some Mothim, Dustox, and Venomoth flutter about too, mingling with the butterflies. There is a constant 5% chance that a Pokemon will attack one of the wild Pokemon instead of their opponent. Should this happen, the attacked Pokemon will use a powder move (each move will have its base accuracy and percentage):

Venomoth: Poison Powder
Butterfree: Sleep Powder
Beautifly: Stun Spore
Dustox: Poison Powder
Mothim: Poison Powder
Vivillon: Rage Powder

Profile link: Here
Additional Rules: Only Beautifly, Vivillon, Dustox, Mothim, Venomoth, or Butterfree can be used.

I'll take this on. Profile!

Something with a bit of a gimmick/experiment that might get out of hand. I'm not the best at math, so my apologies if my calculations are a bit wonky.

Format: 2 vs 2 single.
Style: Set.
DQ: One week.
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO and recovery moves. Everything else is game. Chills are unlimited.

Arena Description:
The Office - This is where I work. It's an office-building after hours. I'm looking to blow off some steam because my boss? He's really annoying! So let's destroy this place as much as possible!

This arena will be interactive. The objects that can be interacted with are:

- Desks. They may be tossed at the opponent, dealing Normal-type damage to the Pokemon from the impact. The damage done by tossed desks depends on a Pokemon's physical endurance.

Special Commands: Toss Office Desk

The damage by tossing an office desk is determined by subtracting the target's Defense stat from 200 and then lopping off the last digit of the result.

Example: If an office desk was tossed at a Fennekin (base Defense: 40), we would subtract that from 200 and get 160, or 16% dealt to it. A Dragonite (base Defense: 95) would be dealt 10% damage.

As for the Energy cost, this is determined by subtracting the user's Attack stat from 110 and then lopping off the last digit of the result.

Example: If a Fennekin tossing the office desk (base Attack: 45), we would subtract that from 110 and get 65, or 6% energy cost. A Dragonite (base Attack: 134) would only spend 1% because it would come out to 0, which is always rounded up.

____​

- Electrical equipment. Such as computers, printers, and fax machines. They may targeted and destroyed. This deals Electric-type damage. To produce a damaging explosion, special elemental forces must be used. Just flat out punching the machine with physical force won't do anyone any good.

Special Commands: Target [Machine Name] and destroy it

The damage destroying a machine would deal to the opponent is determined by subtracting the target's Special Defense stat from 200 and then lopping off the last digit of the result.

Example: If a fax machine is blown up on a Fennekin (base Special Defense: 60), we would subtract that from 200 and get 140, or 14% dealt to it. A Dragonite (base Special Defense: 100) would be dealt 10% damage.

As for the Energy cost, this is determined by subtracting the user's Special Attack stat from 110 and then lopping off the last digit of the result.

Example: If a Fennekin was destroying the fax machine (base Special Attack: 62), we would subtract that from 200 and get 48, or 4% energy cost. A Dragonite (base Special Attack: 100) would only spend 1%.

If any of these calculations come out to 0, it's always 1%.

Also, Pokemon do not receive STAB in these calculations.

____​

- Potted Plant An extremely exotic potted plant may be tossed at the opponent. Does not inflict damage. Instead, it can inflict random status effects or even stat buffs based on specific percents.

Special Commands: Toss Potted Plant

There is a 30% chance to poison the opponent.

There is a 30% chance to paralyze the opponent.

There is a 30% chance to attract the opponent.

There is a 10% chance to raise the opponent's critical hit rate to 50% of ALL of their attacks.

I was holding out for a quick 1v1 because ASB stresses me out so much, but this sounds fun and I wanna do it!

Last edited:
This challenge is for the test battle phase of becoming a referee, so the battle will be between Zhorken and whoever accepts the challenge, and I will be reffing this. The DQ time, damage cap, and banned moves are adjustable.

2vs2 Single
DQ: One week
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for either participant.

Last edited:
This challenge is for the test battle phase of becoming a referee, so the battle will be between Zhorken and whoever accepts the challenge, and I will be reffing this.

2vs2 Single

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

meet me in the pit, you two

and hey, while i'm at it, a guaranteed quickie:

Format: 3 v 3 single
Style: set
DQ: two weeks
Damage Cap: none
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, chills, ohko, attract. Evasion and picking Pokémon with STAB type advantage is considered poor form, though not banned.
Arena Description: Outside the Battle Arena

The match was originally scheduled to take place inside the Battle Arena as an ordinary challenge within the Hoenn Frontier, but that quickly changed when officials learned that both trainers were from Asber. Not to be discouraged, however, they took the fight outside, despite objections from both the officials in question and other non-Asber trainers at the frontier that day.

The rules are modeled vaguely after those of the Battle Arena: the match will be played as a best-of-three set of 1v1 bouts that only last 3 rounds each. At the end of those 3 rounds, if there is no knockout, the referee will declare a winner by awarding points based on HP, PP, and status. For every percent below 100 in both HP and energy, a Pokémon will be given 1 point. For every degree of status ailment, a Pokémon will be given 3 points. Stat boosts are worth the negative of their value. The Pokémon with the lower score at the end of the 3 rounds will be the winner of that bout, and a new pair of Pokémon will be sent out.

The Battle Arena is a small wooden building, located on a rough peninsula connecting to the Frontier streets. Intentionally entering the building or street will result in disqualification for the bout.
Profile link: see user info

This is an open challenge, by the way

Format: 2v2 Single
DQ: 1 Week
Damage Cap: 20%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO's / Indoor Arena Restrictions Apply
Arena Description: Dancefloor of a Thousand Sweet Moves

To the layman, this excessively large room is little more than a space cleared for people who have perhaps over-imbibed to flail about for awhile until the combination of trippy lights, smoke machine smoke, thumping bass, and more physical activity than the rest of their month combined cause them to have to be transported out again on a makeshift drink trolley-made stretcher. What most don't know is that it's also MAGIC... Or perhaps it isn't. Really it depends on your specific set of beliefs.

In any case, the room is one big empty and otherwise boring battleground with two defining features. One is the aforementioned gratuitous and over-done effects; lighted, flashing floors, disco balls, smoke machines, heavy duty speakers and other such fun things to turn the place into a confusing mess of sensory input. The other is a jukebox, lined neatly up against the wall. A MAGIC jukebox. [Citation Needed.]

The jukebox is hooked into the facility's excessive sound systems, but seems to lack any significant labelling. In fact, only one button appears to actually function, the "Next Track" button - a surprising quirk for such an apparently otherwise well-maintained piece. The music it pumps out is unpredictable, and seems to change with the occupants. Furthermore, it seems to affect the very flow of everything going on within its affected space... Huh, maybe the thing really is magic.

Functionality: The Jukebox's music will be determined by the ref - they will be responsible for taking their playlist, iPod, internet radio or other preferred method of musical shuffling and posting the first song rolled each time a participant uses the "Next Track" command.

Participants may use an action to change the current track, they may do so a maximum of once every other round.

The current track will have an effect on all current participants on the battlefield - the effects are at the judge's discretion and should be based on the current song.
IE. A song that "Makes you want to fight" or is about fighting may modify all attacks to use the Fighting element, or add a small secondary damage buff, such as an additional 3% damage treated as a second, separate attack in the same action.
Songs about introversion or closing off might give all combatants +2 to Defence and Special Defence and/or -2 to Attack and Special attack.
Songs that are overall aggressive might give +2 to Attack and Special attack and/or -2 to Defence and Special Defence.
Lively or Fast-Paced songs may grant speed bonuses, or even grant small amounts of healing per round.

In all have fun and apply crazy effects per song, and remember they apply to both sides.

Finally, a participant can be ordered to "Dance" - at which point they will apply a 1.5x modifier to the current buffs AND debuffs for the remainder of the current song.
IE a +2 modifier becomes +3, a -2 becomes -3.
Damage effects have their effects multiplied - 2% additive damage would become 3%. The same applies to healing effects.

If both combatants choose to Dance in the same turn, it becomes a DANCE OFF, and all effects are multiplied by 2.0x for BOTH combatants.
IE a +2 modifier becomes +4, etcetera.
A 2% effect becomes 4%, etcetera.

Profile: noot noot

Last edited:
This challenge is for the test battle phase of becoming a referee, so the battle will be between Zhorken and whoever accepts the challenge, and I will be reffing this. The DQ time, damage cap, and banned moves are adjustable.

2vs2 Single

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for either participant.

I was hoping to vs you Keldeo

I was hoping to vs you Keldeo

For clarification, you would be have been battling Zhorken, not Keldeo. Keldeo is the referee.

Side note, ASB committee, you're removing the bit where the non-supervisor non-examinee is preferentially a newbie? I thought it was a pretty good clause, given that newbies are the most likely to need a free battle and exp boost. That's the whole reason that rental pokemon were originally allowed for the other member, after all.

Last edited:
I think that clause is a good idea, but it wasn't actually, like, in there, which is why I asked Meursault to take it before some non-newbie asshole could potentially snap it up and pick two awesome rentals with Lucky Eggs in the hopes of getting five exp to distribute as they wanted. idk. It needs fixing but a shitload of things need fixing and it's a little overwhelming.

You could edit it in or just be like, "Actually, I'd rather that a new trainer take this match," if that situation came up. The non-newbie assholes around here are aware of how things were before.

Format: 2vs2 single
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, direct healing moves, chills, Destiny Bond, Attract
Terrain: a large cavern

A cavern of immense size. The ceiling is roughly 20 stories high, and the room is maybe 500m square. The walls and ceiling are unnaturally smooth and polished, making it impossible for these to be held onto in any way. Odd glowing stones that cast enough light to see by are embedded in the walls.

For all intents and purposes this is a Sky Battle, so only flying/hovering Pokemon can be used. The battling Pokemon start roughly in the centre of the room, about 10 stories in the air.

Additional Notes: Moves that require natural resources such as water or rocks/earth will fail. Intentionally landing is not allowed, and from the starting position, it takes 3 actions of falling to hit the ground if a Pokemon becomes unable to fly/hover (The ref can decide the effects of this).

First stage (out of two or three is fine) Pokemon only!

Last edited:
Format: 2vs2 single
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, direct healing moves, chills, Destiny Bond, Attract
Terrain: a large cavern

A cavern of immense size. The ceiling is roughly 20 stories high, and the room is maybe 500m square. The walls and ceiling are unnaturally smooth and polished, making it impossible for these to be held onto in any way. Odd glowing stones that cast enough light to see by are embedded in the walls.

For all intents and purposes this is a Sky Battle, so only flying/hovering Pokemon can be used. The battling Pokemon start roughly in the centre of the room, about 10 stories in the air.

Additional Notes: Moves that require natural resources such as water or rocks/earth will fail. Intentionally landing is not allowed, and from the starting position, it takes 3 actions of falling to hit the ground if a Pokemon becomes unable to fly/hover (The ref can decide the effects of this).

First stage (out of two or three is fine) Pokemon only!

Taking this, if thats ok.

Format: 2 vs 2 singles
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 35 %
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves, attract, direct recovery moves
Arena Description: The Sea Mauville

The battle starts on the upper deck of the ship. It's been cleared of people, so there's no one stopping us from destroying what's left of it...
Profile link: In my info ^

\o/ yes pls!
link in my postbit

I'm likely to regret the commitment, but reffing.

and hey, while i'm at it, a guaranteed quickie:

Format: 3 v 3 single
Style: set
DQ: two weeks
Damage Cap: none
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, chills, ohko, attract. Evasion and picking Pokémon with STAB type advantage is considered poor form, though not banned.
Arena Description: Outside the Battle Arena

The match was originally scheduled to take place inside the Battle Arena as an ordinary challenge within the Hoenn Frontier, but that quickly changed when officials learned that both trainers were from Asber. Not to be discouraged, however, they took the fight outside, despite objections from both the officials in question and other non-Asber trainers at the frontier that day.

The rules are modeled vaguely after those of the Battle Arena: the match will be played as a best-of-three set of 1v1 bouts that only last 3 rounds each. At the end of those 3 rounds, if there is no knockout, the referee will declare a winner by awarding points based on HP, PP, and status. For every percent below 100 in both HP and energy, a Pokémon will be given 1 point. For every degree of status ailment, a Pokémon will be given 3 points. Stat boosts are worth the negative of their value. The Pokémon with the lower score at the end of the 3 rounds will be the winner of that bout, and a new pair of Pokémon will be sent out.

The Battle Arena is a small wooden building, located on a rough peninsula connecting to the Frontier streets. Intentionally entering the building or street will result in disqualification for the bout.
Profile link: see user info

I'm going to take this as my first battle in like two years because I have no self-respect

Whoever accepts the challenge, The DQ time, damage cap, and banned moves are adjustable.

1vs1 Single ( flexible )

( i hope i can battle using this arena )

This is going to be my referee test battle, so I will, of course, not be battling. 1. Luftballoon will be. I will be refereeing.
If you decide to use a rental team, please say which six Pokemon, as well as abilities and items, you would like so that I may put them in the starting post of the battle. You may do so through visitor message or private message, if you would prefer. If any of the items are lucky eggs I will be moderately upset with you.

2vs2 Single

Back
Top Bottom