• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Does Uproar wake up any Pokemon already asleep?
Yup.

If a Pokemon is forced awake from a Rest sleep (if that's even possible - not sure if there are any other moves that could potentially awaken a sleeping pokemon), what happens to the health restored? Does the Pokemon lose out on what it would have gained during the rest of sleep, gain it all at once, or gain it normally even though they're awake?
Since rest normally restores health over the course of three actions, the pokémon will gain as much health as is appropriate for the number of actions it stays asleep and no more. So if it sleeps for only one action before waking up, it will regain 33% of its health and have status healed. This still counts as one use of a direct-healing attack for attacks that have a restriction on those, even though the user didn't get the attack's full benefit.

That said, I'm curious how this ties into the "resto chesto" strategy in the games, where you have the pokémon use Rest while holding a Chesto berry to restore all health in one go. A ruling on that might be useful.
A pokémon with a chesto berry will heal 33% health and any major status, then wake up.

Type-resist berries say they last for one full round after consumption - does that mean a) three actions after consuming (carrying over between rounds if necessary), b) the next full round after consuming, or c) the rest of the current round in which consumption occurred?

Would Hypnosis and other vision-based moves affect a Pokemon with eyes that always appear closed or obscured (like Abra, Cyndaquil, Swinub/Piloswine, Gulpin, Baltoy, Skitty, Panpour/Simipour, or Diggersby)? What about a Pokemon that's currently blinded by Flash, Mud-Slap, or the like?

Uproar's target is listed as random - how does this work in a double battle? I assume the actual effect of the damage is random (can the user's ally be a potential random target?), and does the "no falling asleep" part of it affect the whole field?

Uproar's target is listed as random - how does this work in a double battle? I assume the actual effect of the damage is random (can the user's ally be a potential random target?), and does the "no falling asleep" part of it affect the whole field?

In-game, I'm pretty sure Uproar's targeting works like Thrash or Outrage – so the user's ally isn't normally an option. "No falling asleep" affects the whole field, mostly because of the noise the user is making.

In-game, I'm pretty sure Uproar's targeting works like Thrash or Outrage – so the user's ally isn't normally an option. "No falling asleep" affects the whole field, mostly because of the noise the user is making.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised this isn't a "damage the whole field" kind of move. Like, if it prevents anyone from sleeping, isn't it loud enough to damage everyone too? I don't recall the exact flavor of it, but.

Sound moves are tricky like that... why doesn't sing put everybody on the field to sleep, for example, assuming that the mon's singing loud enough for somebody on the other side of the field to hear it? Especially in contrast to perish song, which does affect the whole field. I think you could definitely make an argument that sound moves in general should affect all pokémon on the field, but that means changing the (in-game) attributes of a fair number of moves, now, and makes some of them (SING) substantially more powerful.

(TIL that Shadow Panic is a sound-based move!)

Hmm, okay. So, for Uproar, I'm going with "damage affects a random opponent, no-sleeping and wake-if-sleeping affects entire field?" Does that sound right, then?

(This may have been exactly what you guys just said but I'm still mildly confused so, clarifying haha)

Or, do the in-game effects mean only one random opponent can't sleep, not both?? Ahh.

Last edited:
Hmm, okay. So, for Uproar, I'm going with "damage affects a random opponent, no-sleeping and wake-if-sleeping affects entire field?" Does that sound right, then?

(This may have been exactly what you guys just said but I'm still mildly confused so, clarifying haha)

Or, do the in-game effects mean only one random opponent can't sleep, not both?? Ahh.

The first sentence is correct. From Bulbapedia:
Bulbapedia said:
While Uproar is being used, the user is making an uproar that prevents any Pokémon on the field that do not have Soundproof as their Ability from falling asleep from moves that can inflict sleep, Effect Spore, and disobedience.

In battles with multiple opponents, the user selects itself as the target, but hits an adjacent opponent that is selected at random upon each use of the move.

In Triple Battles, Uproar can wake up non-adjacent Pokémon, and prevent non-adjacent Pokémon from falling asleep.

How does Leech Life for energy work? I swear I've seen this before, or have seen another "normally restores health, but you can use it for energy" move before, but I can't seem to find a reference for this. The user expends energy to use the move, drains energy from the opponent, and restores energy to itself? Couldn't this end up in Leech Life costing zero energy to perform (if it costs 4% to use and restores 4% back to the user, draining 8% from the opponent). Is that right/is that okay?

How does Leech Life for energy work? I swear I've seen this before, or have seen another "normally restores health, but you can use it for energy" move before, but I can't seem to find a reference for this. The user expends energy to use the move, drains energy from the opponent, and restores energy to itself? Couldn't this end up in Leech Life costing zero energy to perform (if it costs 4% to use and restores 4% back to the user, draining 8% from the opponent). Is that right/is that okay?

It doesn't say so explicitly in the database for Leech Life. Or, now that I'm checking, Drain Punch or Horn Leech. However, the database does specifically say "This attack can be commanded to target health or energy" for Absorb, Mega Drain, Giga Drain, Parabolic Charge, Draining Kiss, Dream Eater, and Oblivion Wing.

So, the database says that every special draining move can target either, but it doesn't say anything either way about physical draining moves. Do they work differently?

It doesn't say so explicitly in the database for Leech Life. Or, now that I'm checking, Drain Punch or Horn Leech. However, the database does specifically say "This attack can be commanded to target health or energy" for Absorb, Mega Drain, Giga Drain, Parabolic Charge, Draining Kiss, Dream Eater, and Oblivion Wing.

So, the database says that every special draining move can target either, but it doesn't say anything either way about physical draining moves. Do they work differently?
All draining moves can be used either for health or for energy.

Can't be bothered to look this up. How much energy do OHKOs cost if they miss? Asking for a friend.

Back
Top Bottom