• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Good television?

Pook

Don't Mistake Coincidence for Fate
Pronoun
he
I like watching TV. However, my shows are limited to about 5 programs (Seinfeld, The Office (US), Becker, Cheers, and Everybody Loves Raymond) are there any programs recommended for me, or other people?

Mad Men
Deadwood
Battlestar Galactica
True Blood
Twin Peaks
Carnivale

should keep you busy

LOST - if you like that kind of stuff
Arrested Development - one of the best sitcoms I've seen

i can vouch for twin peaks, too.

one of my friends told me he only watched three TV shows: the big bang theory, skins, and some other show that wasn't actually very good. i've never seen either, but skins seems right up my alley. maybe you might enjoy them?

Warehouse 13
Tosh.0
Futurama
Family Guy
House
Glee
Saturday Night Live
Friends

But srsly, Warehouse 13 gogogogo

(I am sorry, but I am such a TV snob D:)

By 'Good Television' I assume you actually mean 'good' and not 'enjoyable'. Because by absolutely no strech of the human imagination could some of the suggestions so far (Family Guy, Two and a Half Men, Friends, How I Met Your Mother) be counted as good television. Sorry, guys :/

I second opal's suggestion of Battlestar Galactica, and strongly recommend The West Wing, or really anything by Aaron Sorkin.
The UK version of The Office is, IMO, massively superior to the US one, but many people (mostly from the US) disagree with me.
I have to plug the recent BBC adaptation of Sherlock Holmes (creatively titled 'Sherlock'), which is absolutely excellent (it made my icon!), but, if you're a USian, rather hard to come by, since it's only available on the UK-only BBC iPlayer at the moment (if you're in the UK, go and watch it now).
I don't know how UK-only Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes are, but they're excellent, too.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a very good television show cunningly disguised as a very bad one. Joss Whedon's other shows, Angel, and especially Firefly, are well worth a go, too.
I've only seen the first part of The Wire, but it's absolutely fantastic stuff.

I count good television as that which I can't veg out in front of - you have to pay attention, it's original, it doesn't patronize you and it forces you to think.

TV which provides a great distraction and is enjoyable enough include House, 24, anything by Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls), Doctor Who and Torchwood, 30 Rock, Northern Exposure and series 1 of Heroes.

I have to plug the recent BBC adaptation of Sherlock Holmes (creatively titled 'Sherlock'), which is absolutely excellent (it made my icon!), but, if you're a USian, rather hard to come by, since it's only available on the UK-only BBC iPlayer at the moment (if you're in the UK, go and watch it now).

I managed just fine! :D

edit: as for Life on Mars, it's another "let's make an american remake" show, except this one was handled even more catastrophically than usual.

(I am sorry, but I am such a TV snob D:)

By 'Good Television' I assume you actually mean 'good' and not 'enjoyable'. Because by absolutely no strech of the human imagination could some of the suggestions so far (Family Guy, Two and a Half Men, Friends, How I Met Your Mother) be counted as good television. Sorry, guys :/

If you read his first post, he is talking about 'enjoyable' television.

The only shows he watches right now are sitcoms. So Two and a Half Men and How I Met Your Mother are definitely valid suggestions.

Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
Hot in Cleveland (don't judge me...)
Ace of Cakes

And if you're in to this kind of thing:
Deadliest Warrior
Future Weapons

Big Bang Theory

If you watch this expect a decline in quality after the first season where any joke that isn't about Sheldon is either about how they can't get girls or how the character in question is Indian/Jewish/Blonde.

Seriously it went from funny to slightly insulting.

Back
Top Bottom