• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Grey/Gray discussion

I really agree with the guy who said pokemon clear version. The absence of Ying and Yang is represented with the concept of Wuji, witch is nothing. The absence of any color in an object makes it become clear

Technically, the absence of color is black, so.

Depending on which way you're defining color! You're right if you're talking about additive color; however, if you're talking about subtractive color, then the absence of color is white.

I vote Void for the name because it sounds cooler than Transparent or Clear.

While it's a cool name, all games in the past have always involved an actual color, with the possible exception of Crystal. Therefore Grey or Gray is much more likely - plus Kyurem is grey.

On the game itself - Kyurem will most likely get a new, stronger, totally awesome forme. :D and that one cave without a real purpose where someone mentions a legendary will now actually have said legendary. Or something.

I'm a bit meh on Grey because the actual theme is Clear, or at least lack of color. To quote myself from deviantArt:

Touya and Touko came from the word clear or transparency (toumei), which adds in to the whole symbolism of the player character being the neutral one while Cheren (which means black) and Bianca (which means white) are too focused on one thing. N lampshades this at one point in the game; to quote: "Cheren is pursuing the ideal of strength. Poor Bianca has faced the sad truth that not everyone can become stronger. And you are not swayed either way--more of a neutral presence." Additionally, the whole theme of the game sort of revolves around this: Zekrom is black, Reshiram is white, and Kyurem is clear/transparent.

So, prediction: Player character will get Kyurem to battle N.

While it's a cool name, all games in the past have always involved an actual color, with the possible exception of Crystal. Therefore Grey or Gray is much more likely - plus Kyurem is grey.

I'm pretty sure Diamond and Pearl aren't colors either. And Kyurem is grey, yes, but it is also clear -- it's part Ice type, which is clear, and its wings are see-through as well.

I'm pretty sure Diamond and Pearl aren't colors either. And Kyurem is grey, yes, but it is also clear -- it's part Ice type, which is clear, and its wings are see-through as well.

I do believe pearl is a color. A sort of pale off-white. Diamond is an exception.

Either way, black and white, while not truly colors in a technical sense, are seen by the populace as very simple solid colors like blue, red, green, and yellow were. The same is true for grey/gray, which is seen as a midpoint between black and white. All generations have a unifying theme to their versions' names, and any variant of "clear" or "void" would be somewhat disjoined from the other two versions and generally would not sound like Pokémon game names do. Clear Version sounds somewhat acceptable but it fits better with Generation II or III, rather than Black and White. Void Version, apart from the awkward alliteration, would not fit well with the name scheme of any of the games.

While there have been very cool ideas presented, the game will likely be called Grey/Gray for simplicity's sake, due to the general target audience of the games (which is not actually us teenagers who still play, unfortunately :[ ).

I do believe pearl is a color. A sort of pale off-white. Diamond is an exception.

And also Crystal. While it's true that a lot of the names of Pokemon games are also colors, I think calling them all based on colors would be a bit of a stretch. When people hear the words Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, for example, they would think of gemstones first and probably wouldn't realize that they're also all colors until later.

Either way, black and white, while not truly colors in a technical sense, are seen by the populace as very simple solid colors like blue, red, green, and yellow were. The same is true for grey/gray, which is seen as a midpoint between black and white. All generations have a unifying theme to their versions' names, and any variant of "clear" or "void" would be somewhat disjoined from the other two versions and generally would not sound like Pokémon game names do. Clear Version sounds somewhat acceptable but it fits better with Generation II or III, rather than Black and White. Void Version, apart from the awkward alliteration, would not fit well with the name scheme of any of the games.

Not true. Crystal doesn't fit in with Gold and Silver (Crystal is a, well, crystal while Gold and Silver are metals). In fact, a better fit would be Platinum, which is a precious metal usually considered to be a class higher than silver and gold. Think of all the credit cards--you can have the silver card, the gold card, or the ultimate platinum account.

The name Platinum also doesn't fit Diamond and Pearl. Diamond and Pearl both aren't minerals or normal crystals (Diamond has funny carbon bonds), so something like Opal (which is a mineraloid) would probably have fit better. However, DPP has a naming theme going on (Dialga-Diamond, Palkia-Pearl, Platina (Japanese for Platinum) -Giratina), so the naming makes sense, even if they don't match with each other.

These two versions prove that Pokemon version names don't have to match with each other; they just have to make sense given the games themselves.
Right now, I see three choices with the naming of the third version that contains a unifying theme: something that contains all the colors such as Spectrum, something that contains no colors such as Void, and something that's in the middle such as Grey/Gray.

Spectrum or Rainbow (as awesome as it would be) is out for the count because it doesn't fit Kyurem, which will obviously be the mascot for the third game, unless Kyurem gets a shiny new rainbow form or something.
Void (or Clear, what have it) would work because it fits the overall theme as well as Kyurem.
Grey/Gray is not as likely because, while it fits the naming scheme, it doesn't fit the overall theme of Ying-Yang-Wuji.

While there have been very cool ideas presented, the game will likely be called Grey/Gray for simplicity's sake, due to the general target audience of the games (which is not actually us teenagers who still play, unfortunately :[ ).

I don't think the 10 year olds would actually care whether it's called Void or Gray/Grey or even Poop. Most of the symbolism would probably just go right over their heads. In fact, Void would probably be a better name in this respect because it sounds cooler than Gray/Grey.

I'd prefer Chrome. It sounds shiny. :D Also, VS SEEKER. One of the reasons Gen V does not have a good postgame. And contests. My sweet contests. I'd like it better if they were like the Gen III ones, where there are more effects (you can lower others scores, etc.)

I like Crome and void.

Crome, because it's colorful compared to black and white.
and Void, because there's not black or white, just nothingness.

Hm... you know... this probably won't happen, but I think it'd be really cool. A Triple Battle against the Shadow Triad with the help of Bianca and Cheren. The Triad would have high-level Pokemon, probably Dark, Poison and Ghost types with a couple of others thrown in (if they DO turn out to be the Striaton Trio, then high-level monkeys too). Cheren and Bianca could use their most powerful teams and you could swap freely.

Also, I want some sort of battle where you team up with N. Be honest, how cool would that be? And if it's against Ghetsis, well...

Name-wise? Grey/Gray is just gonna cause too much confusion due to the fact that there are two spellings - something that Pokemon's never had to deal with before in a title. "Void", "Clear" and "Chrome" all sound good too.

This'll happen next year I'm sure of it.
Why? Because my future game release senses are kicking in.

(I guessed that the third Motorstorm was arctic, and the fourth was ruined city)

Back
Top Bottom