• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 v 2 Single
5 Days DQ
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: 1 hit KOs, Protect, Detect
Arena- Boring Field
Boring Field was not named for it's horribly mundane appearance, but for it's discoverer Frederick Boring. Nonetheless, it's still a very, very boring field. It's nearly perfectly flat, with a nicely trimmed layer of lush green grass. The dirt underneath is sturdy yet soft, with the occasional rock or boulder beneath the ground. The sun always shines above with a few fluffy clouds, making the field a nice temperate location. The battlefield is position near two small ponds, large enough to hold most aquatic Pokemon, albeit without much elbow room for some of the larger ones. The ponds are symmetrically positioned on either side of the battlefield, which is rectangular in shape. Yes there is literally nothing interesting about this field. Which is exactly why it's the perfect place for a battle.

2 v 2 Single
5 Days DQ
Banned Moves: 1 hit KOs, Protect, Detect
Arena- Boring Field
Boring Field was not named for it's horribly mundane appearance, but for it's discoverer Frederick Boring. Nonetheless, it's still a very, very boring field. It's nearly perfectly flat, with a nicely trimmed layer of lush green grass. The dirt underneath is sturdy yet soft, with the occasional rock or boulder beneath the ground. The sun always shines above with a few fluffy clouds, making the field a nice temperate location. The battlefield is position near two small ponds, large enough to hold most aquatic Pokemon, albeit without much elbow room for some of the larger ones. The ponds are symmetrically positioned on either side of the battlefield, which is rectangular in shape. Yes there is literally nothing interesting about this field. Which is exactly why it's the perfect place for a battle.
I'll accept this!

Ok, I hope I do this right. I'm reserving it for Sokka217.

3v3
DQ: 5 Days
Style: Set
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKO
Arena: Football Field/School
A large high school football field. At night @.@ They've got those..um...big lights around the field on...you know, whatchamacallits? Yeah those. And, there are fans in the stands, cheering on their favorite trainer of course! And there's even a mascot running around the sidelines, hopefully the poor sap in the costume doesn't get attacked...Oh, and did I mention the Pokemon that the mascot suit is modeled after is the Ref's favorite pokemon? Well, it is. So whoever Reffs this, the mascot is your favorite Pokemon, congrats! Now, I'm pretty sure this part is doable. I think it is, and I hope so. Alright, every three rounds there's a 25% chance that suddenly football players from the school will charge onto the field, and the trainers, their pokemon, the ref, and some of the more dedicated fans will flee into the school. The battle will be resumed in the commons, possibly going into other rooms if the trainers command their pokemon to. But if in another room in the school that isn't the commons or the gym, the dedicated fans will have to be watching and cheering from the doorway or windows to the room. Now, every three turns there is a 25% chance that the janitor will hear all the commotion and force every out of the school in his old man ranting (This school has an old cranky man for a janitor) where everyone will return to the field, which is now as it was before the football players barged onto it. The "every three turns" thing will continue for the whole battle, for both the school and the field.

Sokka217 already said he'd accept this battle, but anyway, I'm changing it from 3 vs 3 to 2 vs 2

For Le Sabre (the perfect cousin battle)
2 vs. 2 double
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 32%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing, Moves that require a water source, Earth moving/shaking (Earthquake, Rock Throw, etc.), Chills=3/Pokemon
Arena: Finger Paint Station
Description: This large sheet of white paper (50 yards by 50 yards) is surrounded on all side by containers of finger paint. No Pokemon is required to use them, though. This is because whatever color the bottom of the Pokemon’s feet are is what color appears when their feet touch the paper.
Other: No Earth or Water bound Pokemon
E.g. Wailord, Dugtrio, etc.

For Le Sabre (the perfect cousin battle)
2 vs. 2 double
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 32%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing, Moves that require a water source, Earth moving/shaking (Earthquake, Rock Throw, etc.), Chills=3/Pokemon
Arena: Finger Paint Station
Description: This large sheet of white paper (50 yards by 50 yards) is surrounded on all side by containers of finger paint. No Pokemon is required to use them, though. This is because whatever color the bottom of the Pokemon’s feet are is what color appears when their feet touch the paper.
Other: No Earth or Water bound Pokemon
E.g. Wailord, Dugtrio, etc.

This is the perfect cousin battle. Taking.

Hey I was told I could have three battles at the same time. If thats true, then I make another open challenge!!!

I challenge anybody to a double battle!
DQ is one week
Banned Moves: 1 hit KOs, Zero Accuracy moves (such as Aerial Ace, Shock Wave. Thunder is okay because you need Rain Dance to make it Zero-Accuracy)
Arena Location

Glastron Pass

Glastron Pass is a ice covered path that connects Glastron City to the main port that carries trainers to the Gildor Mainland. (Glastron is an island). There is a couple of ice fields and we are fighting near one of the ice fields.

Also, if at all possible, there is a rule that states that if a Pokemon falls through the ice, it instantly faints.

I challenge anybody to a double battle!
DQ is one week
Banned Moves: 1 hit KOs, Zero Accuracy moves (such as Aerial Ace, Shock Wave. Thunder is okay because you need Rain Dance to make it Zero-Accuracy)
Arena Location

Glastron Pass

Glastron Pass is a ice covered path that connects Glastron City to the main port that carries trainers to the Gildor Mainland. (Glastron is an island). There is a couple of ice fields and we are fighting near one of the ice fields.

Also, if at all possible, there is a rule that states that if a Pokemon falls through the ice, it instantly faints.

Taking. Just one question: Is it 2 pokemon in our active squads, or more?

Last edited:
Reposted since I'd really like to give this arena a try:

2vs2 Single
DQ: 3 Days
Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Arena: The Hax Subway

In every region, there is one battling facility that draws the best of the best trainers to its halls, offering the toughest fights around. Though housed in diverse locations and offering up a variety of prizes, these venues all have one thing in common: the house always wins. Everyone knows this, everyone complains about it, and everyone... plays the game anyway, at least if they want that shiny choice scarf they can't find anywhere else. In Unova, that place is the Battle Subway.

When scoping out where to hold their tournament in Nimbasa City, TCoD ASB league officials were naturally drawn to the bustling hub of Unova's transportation industry and, of course, the capital of its battling scene. All in all, it seemed to have everything the league was looking for: plenty of name recognition, a ready-made audience, and all the infrastructure necessary to host a substantial number of high-energy battles. There was just one problem.

Namely, it's just not all that fun to face off against that rhydon that triggers its quick claw three times in a row and downs your entire team with horn drill. Sure, you can win sympathy points from your friends on the internet when you complain about it, but at the end of the day you're still left gathering your dispirited team together and running through fifty-something battles to get your streak back to where it was. This is a problem that the Battle Subway shares with all of its ilk, and the league wasn't about to let its tournament be ruined by the shady practices of the subway's trainers.

That's why the TCoD League demanded that if the Battle Subway wanted its business, it wasn't going to show any of its normal hating on the visiting team, oh, no. Instead, it was going to give TCoD's trainers a taste of that power, the utterly unlawful rigging that makes the subway's trainers to unholily lucky. And the Subway's officials, unwilling to let such a large contract slip through their fingers, reluctantly agreed--or at least appeared to.

In this battle, good luck is absolutely assured. Your attacks will not miss. You will get that lucky flinch, burn, or timely stat-boost. You won't have to suffer that full paralysis or terribly long sleep. Your pokémon's focus band will activate. Life is good, right? Well... almost.

Out of spite, the Battle Subway's officials have set things up so that, while your luck is assured, it is fleeting. Attacks with secondary effects will always have those effects trigger--but only the first time they occur! And yes, your prankster sableye might be able to put your opponent's pokémon to sleep instantly and without fail with hypnosis--but good luck sending it under a second time. A complete enumeration of the effects on battle are as follows:

- Attacks cannot miss. For an attack with less than 100% accuracy, its energy cost is increased by 1% for every 20% of accuracy that must be added to bring it up to 100%, rounded up (thus 3% extra energy for zap cannon, 2% for blizzard, and 1% for meteor mash). If a pokémon's accuracy is lowered, all its attacks cost 1% more energy per two levels of reduction. If a pokémon uses double team, the opponent will always miss with its next attack (unless it's something that wouldn't miss, like aerial ace), but hit with the one after that and cause the clones to fade.

- Attacks with secondary effects always have those effects trigger--but only the first time the attack is used. So, flamethrower always burns and ancientpower always raises all stats--but only the first time the attack is used. After that, there is no chance for the secondary effect to occur. Note that secondary effects only trigger if the attack successfully strikes the opponent (or the opponent's substitute), so if the opponent protects against your ancientpower, you've lost out on your opportunity to get the stat boost for the rest of the battle. All attacks with a secondary effect with less than a 100% chance of occurring cost 1% extra energy the first time they are used, regardless of whether the effect is actually gained.

- Likewise, abilities and items with a variable chance of activating always activate once, at the first opportunity, and never again.

- Sleep always lasts two actions. A pokémon can only be put to sleep once per battle. Likewise, a pokémon that becomes attracted will attract-fail twice in a row, then be cured and immune to attraction for the rest of the battle. A frozen pokémon will thaw after two actions and cannot be frozen again later.

- A confused pokémon will hurt itself at the first opportunity, then be cured of confusion and unable to be confused by an opponent for the rest of the match. Self-inflicted confusion, e.g. by petal dance, still occurs after the attack's end, but a pokémon confused this way will always hurt itself once and then snap out of it.

- A pokémon can only be flinched once per battle.

- The first move that a pokémon makes at an elevated critical hit domain (e.g. an attack like psycho cut or any attack for a pokémon with superluck) will be a critical hit and cost 2% more energy. However, a pokémon may only score one such critical hit per battle. Attacks that always cause a critical hit, like frost breath, still always cause critical hits.

- Paralysis still causes a 75% speed reduction, but a pokémon will never be "fully paralyzed," and the condition does not fade.

- A pokémon may use only one OHKO move per battle. OHKO's always hit, always deal the damage cap's worth of damage, and cost energy equal to half as much damage they deal, plus the penalty for their accuracy increase.

- Attacks with variable durations always last for their maximum duration.

- Multi-hit attacks always land the maximum number of hits as though the user had the skill link ability.

The battles take place in subway cars. At first blush there's nothing special about them: a nice spacious aisleway to accomodate the battling, rows of unwelcoming plastic chairs along each wall with rings to hold onto swinging above each. Everything in the car rocks, bounces, and sways in time with the clacking of its wheels on the track.

These battered old bits of public transportation are tougher than they appear, though--so tough, in fact, that they can survive a lickilicki's explosion with hardly a scratch. Rumor has it that, a couple of years back when a trainer's machamp managed to put dent in one of the seats, the train's janitors presented her with a trophy. These cars only look like those that run on subway tracks in other regions; in reality, they are highly portable state-of-the art battle chambers, not only able to resist the worst that powerful pokémon can throw at it, but provide any conceivable conditions they could require, from generating simulated weather to providing faux rocks for a painful stone edge attack.

OKAY forgive my waffling but now that I'm feeling better I think I want to take that challenge again! And surskitty said something about wanting to ref it since it involves pretty much no RNG, so hopefully it won't just sit around for two months again. (I need to set my team in order first, so on the off chance anyone, surskitty or otherwise, jumps to ref it in the next couple hours, please wait a bit to make the thread!)

(EDIT: Done btw)

Last edited:
=3
1vs1 single
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 42%
Banned Moves: One-Hit OHKO's.
Arena: City Town
City Town used to be a bustling metro world-renowned for it's creative art of all forms, but in recent years was invaded by Voltorb and Electrode, forcing the people out. Every round, there is a 6% chance that one of the Voltorb or Electrode may wander into the empty field used for battle, then randomly self destruct, causing damage (2% damage if Voltorb, 5% if Electrode) to one of the Pokemon.

Last edited:
=3
1vs1 single
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 42%
Banned Moves: One-Hit OHKO's.
Arena: City Town
City Town used to be a bustling metro world-renowned for it's creative art of all forms, but in recent years was invaded by Voltorb and Electrode, forcing the people out. Every round, there is a 6% chance that one of the Voltorb or Electrode may wander into the empty field used for battle, then randomly self destruct, causing damage (2% damage if Voltorb, 5% if Electrode) to one of the Pokemon.

I'll take this :3 That's enough battles for me.

2 vs. 2/Single/Set
1 week DQ
49% Damage Cap
Banned Moves: Direct Healing, OHKOs, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena: The Snow Globe

The trainers and their Pokemon have been shrunk down to size to fit into this tiny representation of a town on the night before Christmas. Though the name of the arena is "The Snow Globe", the only Pokemon able to battle here are water-types, as snow globes are filled with water. In the small globe are four "snow"-crested plastic houses and a church. The Pokemon are of the size that, if the doors of the buildings could be opened, they would fit as if they had been entering the average door in the outside world.

Every other round a random passerby will shake the globe, causing the "snow" to fly around the sphere, coming to rest at the end of the round. While this is in effect, all moves lose 15% accuracy (Not 15% of their accuracy, so a Toxic would go down to 60%, not 62%). As the entire arena is made of water, electric moves will hit both the target and the user. The dome of the globe is also indestructible for the purposes of the battle, though the miniature buildings can be destroyed at will.

Additional Rules: Only Pokemon that can survive underwater for long periods of time may participate.

((Though I wouldn't like to, this can be switched to 1 vs. 1 if one does not have enough aquatic Pokemon, though I'd like it if people would wait a few days for a person with enough aquatic Pokemon to possibly participate before jumping in for the rule change))

2 vs. 2/Single/Set
1 week DQ
49% Damage Cap
Banned Moves: Direct Healing, OHKOs, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena: The Snow Globe

The trainers and their Pokemon have been shrunk down to size to fit into this tiny representation of a town on the night before Christmas. Though the name of the arena is "The Snow Globe", the only Pokemon able to battle here are water-types, as snow globes are filled with water. In the small globe are four "snow"-crested plastic houses and a church. The Pokemon are of the size that, if the doors of the buildings could be opened, they would fit as if they had been entering the average door in the outside world.

Every other round a random passerby will shake the globe, causing the "snow" to fly around the sphere, coming to rest at the end of the round. While this is in effect, all moves lose 15% accuracy (Not 15% of their accuracy, so a Toxic would go down to 60%, not 62%). As the entire arena is made of water, electric moves will hit both the target and the user. The dome of the globe is also indestructible for the purposes of the battle, though the miniature buildings can be destroyed at will.

Additional Rules: Only Pokemon that can survive underwater for long periods of time may participate.

((Though I wouldn't like to, this can be switched to 1 vs. 1 if one does not have enough aquatic Pokemon, though I'd like it if people would wait a few days for a person with enough aquatic Pokemon to possibly participate before jumping in for the rule change))
Dropping my challenge with Cypher to take this. Also I have three aquatic Pokemon (four if you count Magikarp, which I don't), if that changes anything.

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, I can have 4 battles at a time (since I'm a ref) and have 3 right now. If I am mistaken, I'd like to drop me vs. Steel Scyther. Haven't tried a metronome battle yet so...

2vs2 double
DQ: Standard week
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: OHKO's, perish song, any move that'll cause the user or its opponent to instantly faint
Arena: Doctor Kaminko's Experimental Stadium, Arena #44

Any claims that Doctor Kaminko does not test his Pokémon-related inventions before revealing them to the public (a public that is obviously too simple to appreciate their sheer genius) are, of course, entirely false. In fact, the Doctor has a dedicated space beneath his secret laboratory for just this purpose—his experimental stadium. At first glance it appears to be a fairly plain arena, with the standard clay floor, small pool for water-types and a weather generator that will respond to any weather-inducing commands. A few button presses and switch flips, however, and the Doctor can produce anything from a plethora of his newest battle-based creations to make things more... interesting. Kaminko regularly invites trainers down to his facility to help him test his new experiments, assuring them that of course their Pokémon will be perfectly safe and that of course there will be ample compensation for their time. Most of the Orrean trainers know better than to take his claims at face value, but there's no reason for a few gullible eager outsiders not to trust him, right? Besides! Shiny new toys! Who could possibly resist!

The arena that Kaminko has chosen for today's battle, number forty-four out of sixty-three, is fairly simple as his bizarre challenges go. The battlefield itself does not change much when he activates it, forgoing #3's Poké-Poles™ falling from the ceiling and #61's small herd of Tauros sporting his Pokémon Mood-Altering Keclenses™ (currently stuck on angry red) for wide, open space. The battlers are going to need plenty of room and minimal distractions, after all—with all the energy they'll have to burn, they'd probably tear something down if they were in a smaller space. For today, all Pokémon involved will be wearing Kaminko's new Ever-Energy Adrenapacks™.

The Adrenapacks provide each Pokémon with literally unlimited energy, allowing them to attack with abandon and without fear of exhausting themselves. The experiment is intended to see what Pokémon are capable of doing when allowed to battle on and on without interruption, but perhaps the Adrenapacks give the Pokémon a little too much juice. They are prone to releasing extra surges of energy that can actually harm the Pokémon wearing them, causing 3% typeless damage to each Pokémon at the end of each round and escalating to 5%/round if their health is below 33%. Additionally, the constant influx of energy makes the battlers incredibly nervous and restless, preventing them from focusing on moves that rely on calming down or relaxing (i.e. Calm Mind, Amnesia), being lulled into complacency (e.g. Attract, Flatter, Charm) or falling asleep.

Others: Only pokemon that can get metronome can be used. Metronome for the purposes of this battle can't call OHKOs or Perish Song or any move that'll cause the user or its opponent to instantly faint. Trainers can command both of their pokemon normally for one action. Metronome must be used on the other two actions. Both trainers send commands and pokemon choices through pm to the ref.

Awesome arena belongs to Kratos.

Reserved for ILS
5vs5
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: 10%
Banned Moves: OHKOs
(I figured ILS would be okay if I did the arena)
Arena: The Sky
MOOF! Yes, that's right. The battle is...up in the clouds. There are several mountains dotted around, connected by bridges of ice, but if a Fire move is used on a bridge, it will melt. It is covered with clouds, but in the middle, there is a huge pool of floating water. If a Pokemon lands on a mountain, every turn there is a 10% chance that a big angry dragon will come out of a hole and attack that Pokemon for 20% of their health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom