• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What's the canon timeline between the generations?

At the Nuzlocke forums a guy started a "Pentathlocke" challenge, which means he's going to be playing all five generations in succession, importing (and deleveling) a max of two surviving Pokémon into the next gen once he's done with the game. Then people started wondering what would be the correct order to play each gen, considering their storylines. Because of conflicting game mechanics, FRLG will be treated as Gen I and HGSS as Gen II.

For example, it's a given that Gen II comes after Gen I, and I believe Gen V comes after Gen II because of the Rocket Grunt in Icirrus City, and also after Gen III since Team Plasma has studied the research of Teams Aqua and Magma. Therefore Gen I should be first, and Gen V should be last. But what about the other gens? Does Gen II come after Gen III and Gen IV, does Gen III come after Gen IV...? Or are the generations linear?

From a gameplay point of view, Gen V must be the last, because then he can import any Pokémon he wants into the game. HGSS to RSE would be problematic since you can use Sinnoh Pokémon post-E4, and there's no 649 Emerald patch yet, so he can't import something like, say, a Staraptor, into Emerald.

Discuss.

p. sure that Gens 1 and 3 happen at the same time, and 2 and 4 at the same time, and 5 sometime after them?

Alternatively, about 10 seconds on Bulbapedia gives us this, which is probably the most accurate one out there.

They do, it's just implied that they overlap a bit. It's not like Dawn/Lucas was at the 6th gym leader at exactly the same time that Gold/Lyra was.

bulbapedia's timeline doesn't cite sources and now I can't figure out how pokémon prehistory is supposed to work, hey, pop quiz, when were omanyte alive?

I only can be pretty sure B/W and B2/W2 are 2 years apart...I....I think its cannon. :/

That isn't between genorations, though. But still felt it was worth mensioning O.o;

Alternatively, about 10 seconds on Bulbapedia gives us this, which is probably the most accurate one out there.

Holy crap that thing's got a lot of weird fanon assumptions on it. And just plain errors, in a few places (Farfetch'd population decreased during ancient history, not recently as said in Pokédex entries? the Iron Age was millions of years ago? Um...)

The parts related to the timeline of actual game events seems to be pretty reliable, at least. Basically...

* R/B/Y/FR/LG is first
* R/S/E is second (sometime after the "connect Kanto and Hoenn PC systems" event of FR/LG)
* G/S/C is third (stated in-game to be 3 years after R/B/Y)
* D/P/P is fourth (sometime after the Red Gyarados' rampage in G/S/C)
* B/W is fifth (sometime after Team Galactic's plans failed in D/P/P. Exactly how long after the 4th-gen games it takes place is hard to say, though... could be years later, but how many years? I have no idea. Unless there's something I missed in the games that hints at a more solid timeline, anyway.)
* B2/W2 is last (stated in-game to be 2 years after B/W)

Last edited:
Holy crap that thing's got a lot of weird fanon assumptions on it. And just plain errors, in a few places (Farfetch'd population decreased during ancient history, not recently as said in Pokédex entries? the Iron Age was millions of years ago? Um...)

The parts related to the timeline of actual game events seems to be pretty reliable, at least. Basically...

* R/B/Y/FR/LG is first
* R/S/E is second (sometime after the "connect Kanto and Hoenn PC systems" event of FR/LG)
* G/S/C is third (stated in-game to be 3 years after R/B/Y)
* D/P/P is fourth (sometime after the Red Gyarados' rampage in G/S/C)
* B/W is fifth (sometime after Team Galactic's plans failed in D/P/P. Exactly how long after the 4th-gen games it takes place is hard to say, though... could be years later, but how many years? I have no idea. Unless there's something I missed in the games that hints at a more solid timeline, anyway.)
* B2/W2 is last (stated in-game to be 2 years after B/W)

BW is mostly likely multiple years; at least there's enough time for that ex-Rocket grunt to come back to Unova like he said in GSC and, instead of reforming Rocket, start a family and have a child that is 4-5 ish.

Yeah, I remember that guy. Does he say that he only started a family after returning home, though? I can't remember for sure...

If so, then yeah, B/W has to be at least 5 years or so after G/S/C (and possibly a good bit longer than 5 years, considering that it usually takes a while for people to go from "we just met" to "married and having kids.")

If not... then there's also the possibility that he was already married and left his wife and kid behind in Unova while he was off doing Team Rocket stuff in Johto/Kanto.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember that guy. Does he say that he only started a family after returning home, though? I can't remember for sure...

If so, then yeah, B/W has to be at least 5 years or so after G/S/C (and possibly a good bit longer than 5 years, considering that it usually takes a while for people to go from "we just met" to "married and having kids.")

If not... then there's also the possibility that he was already married and left his wife and kid behind in Unova while he was off doing Team Rocket stuff in Johto/Kanto.

"He says that while he had planned to revive Team Rocket, soon after returning home he fell in love and then married." According to Bulbapedia.

Also, Lady Caitlin has aged a bit between Platinum and Black/White... and had the time to grow out her hair.

What I'm more curious about is the addition of X and Y. Do we have an approximate indication of their place in time?

The tweet has apparently been lost to time, but XY takes place during the same time as BW2.

Very interesting. If these take place at the same time, however, one must wonder what that means for ORAS, no? Logically there will be some sort of time-travel mechanism explained for trading between XY and ORAS, since Brendan and May are still the main characters and they appear to take place at exactly the same time as RS. That goes without saying that Mega Evolution has yet to be discovered in Unova, though that can be explained because of that region being remote and distant.

However, in bringing up Mega Evolution... unless Hoenn is significantly distant from every other region and trade with Kanto is minimal, then the clearly widespread presence of Mega Evolution during the lives of May and Brendan runs contradictory to XY's plot as well.

Very interesting. If these take place at the same time, however, one must wonder what that means for ORAS, no? Logically there will be some sort of time-travel mechanism explained for trading between XY and ORAS, since Brendan and May are still the main characters and they appear to take place at exactly the same time as RS. That goes without saying that Mega Evolution has yet to be discovered in Unova, though that can be explained because of that region being remote and distant.

However, in bringing up Mega Evolution... unless Hoenn is significantly distant from every other region and trade with Kanto is minimal, then the clearly widespread presence of Mega Evolution during the lives of May and Brendan runs contradictory to XY's plot as well.

It's not just megas, the people in XY also mention how Fairy type is a new thing.

I don't think they'll explain it, the only way I can think of it is if they just move the Hoenn games later in the timeline to be at the same time as XY. There's nothing in FRLG that would contradict that; they just mention the existence of Hoenn and Lanette, not any specific events.

It's not just megas, the people in XY also mention how Fairy type is a new thing.

I don't think they'll explain it, the only way I can think of it is if they just move the Hoenn games later in the timeline to be at the same time as XY. There's nothing in FRLG that would contradict that; they just mention the existence of Hoenn and Lanette, not any specific events.

True, that would be a viable solution; they can retroactively establish a GSC-to-RBY like relationship with other games if absolutely necessary but I don't see many people caring enough to provoke official response, honestly.

Yes, ORAS is very contradictory. The fact that it is supposed to be a "full remake" doesn't make sense if Mega Evolution is implemented (which it is), since Mega Evolution and the Fairy type are considered new. Also, since Brendan and May are coming back, it's virtually confirmed that this is in the exact same time frame as RSE, and yet... not?

Back
Top Bottom