• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The State of the Forums

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
As you will probably have noticed, the forum server is awful, and you'll probably agree with me in being fed up with it. Most recently, the forums seem to have been showing a server busy message for several days straight (if accessed from the right IP - the "Temporarily Unavailable" message you were seeing at the forums.dragonflycave.com address for a while is a different thing). To make the thing at least basically work, I disabled the server busy warning message, meaning you may encounter 500 errors instead (remember those?) when the forum is unable to connect to the database. Consider this forewarning.

But since all of this is highly annoying, I have a plan of attack, with several backup plans. The first is to try moving the forums to the main site's new server - I've been feeling bad leeching off Kat's generosity with this misbehaving forum for ages anyway, and hopefully the new server could handle the forums. If that alone is not enough (and probably still if it is), I will upgrade the forums to vBulletin 4 and see if that helps. If that still doesn't work, I will likely move to a host that actually specializes in hosting vBulletin forums, which is bound to be able to run this one.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to put all of this into action, so it could take a bit before I have a large enough solid chunk of free time to do something on the level of moving the forums. I hope to get the opportunity some weekend in the hopefully near future. If the first plan of attack doesn't work, there might also be a delay before I can get to implementing the next, and so on. Thus, I ask for your patience while all this is going on. Hopefully we can get the forums permanently unborked before too long.

I'll feel bad if I don't say this, so I think I'm speaking for everyone when I say THANK YOU for being dedicated to keeping the forums up and running as best you can even though you've got your own stuff going on in life. Really.

i dunno, i have to admit that i'm flattered the forum itself is telling me that this place is boring without me. maybe this should happen more often!

Hmm have you tried moving the forums to a BB interface like Pokebeach is run by? If not try doing that as those forums are very rarely down. They have only been down about 5 times in the last 10 years XD but that was due to server upgrades and other thing but most of the time they seem to be pretty good XD.:) They are much better loading also and easy to load for slow networks like mobile users and 3DS users XD.:) Hope that gives you some good ideas.:)

Back
Top Bottom