The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Non-Pokémon > Serious Business

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Grey Matter's Avatar
Grey Matter Grey Matter is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: May 11, 2009
Location: Shamblin' around Sleepy Slough
Age: 25
Posts: 1,394
Pronoun: Him
Grey Matter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Just poking my head in to say:

Despite the Bible stating that gays are supposedly unallowed, and all that, there is a notable number of people who are, well best to say, they'd be a member of the QUILTBAG group we have. And this includes a number of famous people to boot, including he frontman of Queen, as well as Billy Joe Armstrong of Green Day.

I would personally believe that Chistianity should be changed, ever so slightly, to allow these kind of affections, simply because it would be unfair to people who would otherwise be model citizens, to essentially be told that they have to be straight, or they are an offense to God, and should burn


I'm saying this as a straight guy, just so y'all know.
__________________
  #22  
Old 05-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Lady Grimdour's Avatar
Lady Grimdour Lady Grimdour is offline
Chaptermistress of the World Eaters
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 2,218
Pronoun: She
Lady Grimdour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eon Spirit View Post
Just poking my head in to say:

Despite the Bible stating that gays are supposedly unallowed, and all that, there is a notable number of people who are, well best to say, they'd be a member of the QUILTBAG group we have. And this includes a number of famous people to boot, including he frontman of Queen, as well as Billy Joe Armstrong of Green Day.

I would personally believe that Chistianity should be changed, ever so slightly, to allow these kind of affections, simply because it would be unfair to people who would otherwise be model citizens, to essentially be told that they have to be straight, or they are an offense to God, and should burn


I'm saying this as a straight guy, just so y'all know.
Wrong argument. I would LOVE to go into detail with this, but this is about Greek/Roman myths and how they compare to current religions.

Speaking of which, here's a scary thought for the religious; in a hundred thousand years' time, your religion may become myth.
__________________
Team Valor. Free to use.Team Instinct. Free to use.Team Mystic. Free to use.

Choose wisely.

  #23  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Harlequin's Avatar
Harlequin Harlequin is offline
Butterfree
 
Join Date: June 27, 2008
Location: Wales
Age: 27
Posts: 2,026
Pronoun: He
Harlequin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdour View Post
Speaking of which, here's a scary thought for the religious; in a hundred thousand years' time, your religion may become myth.
It already is, they just believe otherwise.
__________________
  #24  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Lady Grimdour's Avatar
Lady Grimdour Lady Grimdour is offline
Chaptermistress of the World Eaters
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 2,218
Pronoun: She
Lady Grimdour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

True, but to be classified as true myth, I think, the major consensus must be that it's just stories people long ago believed and has no relevance in today's society.

Half the world still shapes their culture around their respective religions, so not yet.
__________________
Team Valor. Free to use.Team Instinct. Free to use.Team Mystic. Free to use.

Choose wisely.

  #25  
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 PM
opaltiger's Avatar
opaltiger opaltiger is offline
actually very huggable
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: Cambridge, England
Age: 26
Posts: 2,994
Pronoun: He
opaltiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
True, but to be classified as true myth, I think, the major consensus must be that it's just stories people long ago believed and has no relevance in today's society.
"True myth"? To my knowledge "mythology" can refer to any set of traditional stories. Why would they have to be irrelevant?
__________________
We want to be special in a universe that is uncaring and cold, and in which the nature of our existence is a transient flicker, so we invent these strange stories of grand beginnings, like every orphan dreaming that they are the children of kings who will one day ride up on a white horse and take them away to a beautiful palace and a rich and healthy family that will love them forever. We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any nobility must be earned.
— PZ Myers
  #26  
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM
opaltiger's Avatar
opaltiger opaltiger is offline
actually very huggable
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: Cambridge, England
Age: 26
Posts: 2,994
Pronoun: He
opaltiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdour View Post
True myth as in no one lives their lives according to it anymore. Anyone can say "lol ur releejun is meeth" but until that religion falls out of consciousness and cultures drop the rituals and overtones associated with it, it won't be a real myth.
I've had a look around, and I don't know where you're getting this from. Wiki tells me that "in the study of folklore, a myth is a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form", which described the Bible pretty well, I think. I think there is a misconception held by a lot of people that myths must be old, because most of the ones you hear about growing up are (Greco-Roman, Egyptian, Norse, etc.). But that simply isn't true.

A quick google search is revealing. "Egyptian mythology" gets 700,000 results, "Norse mythology" gets 1.5 million, "Greek mythology" gets 6.5 million. "Christian mythology"? Over 13 million.
__________________
We want to be special in a universe that is uncaring and cold, and in which the nature of our existence is a transient flicker, so we invent these strange stories of grand beginnings, like every orphan dreaming that they are the children of kings who will one day ride up on a white horse and take them away to a beautiful palace and a rich and healthy family that will love them forever. We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any nobility must be earned.
— PZ Myers
  #27  
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Lorem Ipsum's Avatar
Lorem Ipsum Lorem Ipsum is offline
Metapod
 
Join Date: June 22, 2008
Location: SW England
Age: 22
Posts: 757
Pronoun: He
Lorem Ipsum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenquagsire View Post
On a tangent: Classicists (and I know there are a few on TCOD), why is your subject considered distinct from mainstream History? I've heard arguments that because it's a holistic subject (i.e. it also involves elements of philosophy, languages and literature) it deserves a seperate discipline, but I would think that most modern historians consider these elements essential in discussions of their period of study?
As somebody who identifies as a Classicist and who wants to study Classics at university, it's because Classical history is distinctly different from normal history in itself. The truth of the matter is that Classics isn't just the /study/ of the history that you do, but it is the study of the culture itself, the language itself, the philosophy itself. It combines ancient history, Latin, Classical Greek, ancient philosophy and ancient culture and is a look at all of them as one, as Classics. I didn't really express that particularly well, but there is a distinction.
  #28  
Old 10-19-2011, 03:41 AM
Zoroark's Avatar
Zoroark Zoroark is offline
Illusionist
 
Join Date: October 16, 2011
Posts: 71
Pronoun: It
Zoroark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorem Ipsum View Post
As somebody who identifies as a Classicist and who wants to study Classics at university, it's because Classical history is distinctly different from normal history in itself. The truth of the matter is that Classics isn't just the /study/ of the history that you do, but it is the study of the culture itself, the language itself, the philosophy itself. It combines ancient history, Latin, Classical Greek, ancient philosophy and ancient culture and is a look at all of them as one, as Classics. I didn't really express that particularly well, but there is a distinction.
So what you're saying is that Classical History doesn't just focus on names and dates, and what things happened where like ordinary history. You're saying that it studies the culture, general mindset, habits and beliefs of the 'little people' from the different periods in history, who are never spoken of in traditional history?

Or did I go totally off-track there?
__________________

ALLERGY ADVICE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN ILLUSIONS.


Beware of hidden language.



Is this thing accurate?
  #29  
Old 10-19-2011, 02:12 PM
opaltiger's Avatar
opaltiger opaltiger is offline
actually very huggable
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: Cambridge, England
Age: 26
Posts: 2,994
Pronoun: He
opaltiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoroark View Post
So what you're saying is that Classical History doesn't just focus on names and dates, and what things happened where like ordinary history. You're saying that it studies the culture, general mindset, habits and beliefs of the 'little people' from the different periods in history, who are never spoken of in traditional history?

Or did I go totally off-track there?
Oh god, please don't repeat the trite belief that history is 'just names and dates'. It really, really isn't.

What Lorem Ipsum was saying is that classics is the study not only of ancient history but of ancient literature, philosophy, languages, and so on. Which, I agree, sets it apart from history in general, but only insofar as someone decided that that particular period of history should get its own holistic study; there is no reason for classics to exist that can't also be used to justify the holistic study of a different time period.
__________________
We want to be special in a universe that is uncaring and cold, and in which the nature of our existence is a transient flicker, so we invent these strange stories of grand beginnings, like every orphan dreaming that they are the children of kings who will one day ride up on a white horse and take them away to a beautiful palace and a rich and healthy family that will love them forever. We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any nobility must be earned.
— PZ Myers
  #30  
Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Zoroark's Avatar
Zoroark Zoroark is offline
Illusionist
 
Join Date: October 16, 2011
Posts: 71
Pronoun: It
Zoroark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaltiger View Post
Oh god, please don't repeat the trite belief that history is 'just names and dates'. It really, really isn't.

What Lorem Ipsum was saying is that classics is the study not only of ancient history but of ancient literature, philosophy, languages, and so on. Which, I agree, sets it apart from history in general, but only insofar as someone decided that that particular period of history should get its own holistic study; there is no reason for classics to exist that can't also be used to justify the holistic study of a different time period.
I was merely asking for a clarification. As you've no doubt noticed from my mention of that trite belief, I have no knowledge of the discipline as a whole. I'm sure many others who join this debate won't either, so I thought the question was necessary.
__________________

ALLERGY ADVICE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN JOKES.


Beware of hidden language.



Is this thing accurate?
  #31  
Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Lorem Ipsum's Avatar
Lorem Ipsum Lorem Ipsum is offline
Metapod
 
Join Date: June 22, 2008
Location: SW England
Age: 22
Posts: 757
Pronoun: He
Lorem Ipsum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Yes, I quite agree. And I think that actually, there are several holistic schools about other historical time periods - Oriental Studies, Egyptology, even looking at English Literary History with things like Beowulf and English heritage in terms of linguistics and culture there. Classics is just as big as it is because the seminal historical, philosophical and poetic texts were written in Ancient Greece and Rome, so it makes sense to study them.
  #32  
Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Cerberus87 Cerberus87 is offline
Done.
 
Join Date: September 6, 2011
Age: 31
Posts: 448
Pronoun: Me
Cerberus87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cerberus87
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

I'm pretty sure they did. Myth comes in where science doesn't exist. And, for quite a long time, Homer's poems were the only trace of Greek history of that period we had.
  #33  
Old 07-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Saumond Saumond is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: July 28, 2014
Location: Finland, Helsinki
Posts: 11
Pronoun: eir
Saumond is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

I think I am right saying that everyone in that time believed that these gods exist, but not all did accept for example Homeros' stories. Indeed Platon and presumably Sokrates too despised these stories, because they showed gods as despicable as human beings. That was not possible because gods were perfect and perfect is not imperfect.

Oh yeah, the question. Yes, they did. These stories are comparable to gospels. They tell us information about godly happenings? wich cannot be verified but fit into to the beliefs of those it is meant to.

Now, I don't know if anyone is wrong or anyone is right. I don't know nothing. Infact, I am nothing. Please don't judge.
  #34  
Old 07-30-2014, 01:11 PM
ultraviolet's Avatar
ultravioletMOD ultraviolet is offline
:V
 
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Location: buttstralia
Age: 26
Posts: 3,791
Pronoun: she
ultraviolet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Given that discussion on this topic ceased in 2011, I'm gonna lock this thread. Please pay attention to how old a thread is before you bump it! If you're going further back than the first page, it's probably pretty old.
__________________
nidoqueen
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Pokémon, Pikachu and all other Pokémon characters © Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. The Cave of Dragonflies, content, styles, etc. © Butterfree/Dragonfree/antialiasis.
Forum now hosted by Eevee's HQ.