The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Non-Pokémon > Serious Business

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Aura Cobalt Aura Cobalt is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 28, 2009
Posts: 203
Pronoun: Male
Aura Cobalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Battle scene commence.
  #2  
Old 05-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Lady Grimdour's Avatar
Lady Grimdour Lady Grimdour is offline
Chaptermistress of the World Eaters
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 2,218
Pronoun: She
Lady Grimdour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Some.

Very same reason we have Christians who think someone actually changed wine into water and that someone else split a sea apart. Though back in those days, it was the majority opinion since there was little science to say otherwise.
__________________
Team Valor. Free to use.Team Instinct. Free to use.Team Mystic. Free to use.

Choose wisely.

  #3  
Old 05-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Aura Cobalt Aura Cobalt is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 28, 2009
Posts: 203
Pronoun: Male
Aura Cobalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

I'm not one of you! (SPOILER) I cast it on the colors!

Negrek gave this post a trolling infraction.

Last edited by Negrek; 05-22-2011 at 04:03 AM.
  #4  
Old 05-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Lady Grimdour's Avatar
Lady Grimdour Lady Grimdour is offline
Chaptermistress of the World Eaters
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 2,218
Pronoun: She
Lady Grimdour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

...what?
__________________
Team Valor. Free to use.Team Instinct. Free to use.Team Mystic. Free to use.

Choose wisely.

  #5  
Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 PM
goldenquagsire's Avatar
goldenquagsire goldenquagsire is offline
Rubber dinghy rapids, bro!
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: York, UK
Age: 25
Posts: 1,459
Pronoun: He
goldenquagsire is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to goldenquagsire Send a message via MSN to goldenquagsire
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

On a tangent: Classicists (and I know there are a few on TCOD), why is your subject considered distinct from mainstream History? I've heard arguments that because it's a holistic subject (i.e. it also involves elements of philosophy, languages and literature) it deserves a seperate discipline, but I would think that most modern historians consider these elements essential in discussions of their period of study?
__________________
  #6  
Old 05-22-2011, 02:12 AM
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom Phantom is offline
Uh, I didn't do it.
 
Join Date: June 12, 2010
Location: United States
Age: 27
Posts: 4,146
Pronoun: She
Phantom is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Why is this in Insanity? Anyways, they weren't mythologists when they stories first started, they were their religion.
  #7  
Old 05-22-2011, 04:35 AM
Solstice's Avatar
Solstice Solstice is offline
Back from the dead.
 
Join Date: July 17, 2010
Location: No where you need to know.
Posts: 625
Pronoun: He
Solstice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdour View Post
Some.

Very same reason we have Christians who think someone actually changed wine into water and that someone else split a sea apart. Though back in those days, it was the majority opinion since there was little science to say otherwise.
I'm sorry to say, but I find this offensive. It's hard to believe that this forum is fine with homosexuals but bashes (in my eyes) Christians such as myself.

I'm fine with there being gay people on here, but the above comment offended me, whether it was relevant or not.

Next time, take into consideration whether someone would be offended or not by this, this is the second example I've seen.

I believe some did.
  #8  
Old 05-22-2011, 04:37 AM
Harlequin's Avatar
Harlequin Harlequin is offline
Butterfree
 
Join Date: June 27, 2008
Location: Wales
Age: 27
Posts: 2,026
Pronoun: He
Harlequin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
I'm sorry to say, but I find this offensive. It's hard to believe that this forum is fine with homosexuals but bashes (in my eyes) Christians such as myself.

I'm fine with there being gay people on here, but the above comment offended me, whether it was relevant or not.

Next time, take into consideration whether someone would be offended or not by this, this is the second example I've seen.

I believe some did.
But there are Christians who believe that the stories presented in the Bible are meant to be taken literally... it's not bashing, it's a statement of fact.
__________________
  #9  
Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 PM
AdrianeMOD Adriane is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: June 26, 2008
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Age: 26
Posts: 1,918
Pronoun: she
Adriane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
I'm sorry to say, but I find this offensive. It's hard to believe that this forum is fine with homosexuals but bashes (in my eyes) Christians such as myself.

I'm fine with there being gay people on here, but the above comment offended me, whether it was relevant or not.

Next time, take into consideration whether someone would be offended or not by this, this is the second example I've seen.

I believe some did.
Are you generalising that gay people are anti-Christian? Because I find that offensive.
__________________
Hi! I'm currently in the process of moving and my internet access is rather sporadic! Please forgive me, especially those in my #mafia game! Thanks!
  #10  
Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Teh Ebil Snorlax Teh Ebil Snorlax is offline
izombie, uzombie, weallzombie
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Age: 24
Posts: 1,474
Pronoun: Male
Teh Ebil Snorlax is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Teh Ebil Snorlax
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
I'm sorry to say, but I find this offensive. It's hard to believe that this forum is fine with homosexuals but bashes (in my eyes) Christians such as myself.

I'm fine with there being gay people on here, but the above comment offended me, whether it was relevant or not.

Next time, take into consideration whether someone would be offended or not by this, this is the second example I've seen.

I believe some did.
(1) Are you stating that you think Christians are more deserving of acceptance than gay people?

(2) Are you stating that there are not Christians who take the events described in the Bible literally?

(3) Are you taking offense because of the comparison between Christian and Greco-Roman mythology and, if so, why?
  #11  
Old 05-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Aura Cobalt Aura Cobalt is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 28, 2009
Posts: 203
Pronoun: Male
Aura Cobalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Why is this in Insanity? Anyways, they weren't mythologists when they stories first started, they were their religion.
I argue that the greek/ roman mythology stories were created so that people could find their way out of their own minds when they started going insane. Like, Ariadne who left trail using a string to defeat the minotaur in the labrynth (the labyrinth being the mind). Of course some people actually believed these stories, which was bad because they obviously were not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
But there are Christians who believe that the stories presented in the Bible are meant to be taken literally... it's not bashing, it's a statement of fact.
Christianity, on the other hand, has a much wider historical correlation, which far outlives that of greek/ roman mythology. You guys offend every single Christian that is daring enough to speak up on this forum, and I think you hardly even realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvyren View Post
Are you generalising that gay people are anti-Christian? Because I find that offensive.
I don't think he was saying that. I think he was saying that she is a Christian and many people on here are gay, and he can live with that despite her beliefs. He was trying to clear things up, not be offensive!


In the end, writing, even on online forums, is a distinct art, and art is subjective to interpretation, and when there are all these clashing worldviews, it is extremely easy to be accidentally offensive.

Last edited by Aura Cobalt; 05-23-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: pronoun misuse
  #12  
Old 05-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Whirlpool's Avatar
Whirlpool Whirlpool is offline
extemporaneous living
 
Join Date: June 29, 2010
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 625
Pronoun: He
Whirlpool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

...much wider historical correlation?

Anyway, the Greek-Roman mythology was their religion; their society was half-built around it, so I think it's safe to say that they thought they weren't just myths or stories, but real events and gods/people.

But why is this in Insanity?
  #13  
Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Pwnemon's Avatar
Pwnemon Pwnemon is offline
will remain confined to the pokemon topics
 
Join Date: July 24, 2010
Location: Maryland
Age: 20
Posts: 1,257
Pronoun: He
Pwnemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Pwnemon
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Ebil Snorlax View Post
(1) Are you stating that you think Christians are more deserving of acceptance than gay people?

No. He specifically said that he respects gay people

(2) Are you stating that there are not Christians who take the events described in the Bible literally?

No, it's pretty clear there aren't, which is the exact thing making the statement offensive

(3) Are you taking offense because of the comparison between Christian and Greco-Roman mythology and, if so, why?
He's taking offense because to him, (and me), it sounded like Grimdour was saying that Christians were foolish and stupid for believing what they do.
__________________
I see you driving
'Round town with the girl I love,
And I'm like, "Haiku."
  #14  
Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 PM
AdrianeMOD Adriane is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: June 26, 2008
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Age: 26
Posts: 1,918
Pronoun: she
Adriane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura Cobalt View Post
In the end, writing, even on online forums, is a distinct art, and art is subjective to interpretation, and when there are all these clashing worldviews, it is extremely easy to be accidentally offensive.
There was absolutely no reason to bring up sexuality.
__________________
Hi! I'm currently in the process of moving and my internet access is rather sporadic! Please forgive me, especially those in my #mafia game! Thanks!
  #15  
Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Aisling's Avatar
AislingMOD Aisling is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: March 26, 2009
Posts: 2,099
Pronoun: She
Aisling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnemon View Post
He's taking offense because to him, (and me), it sounded like Grimdour was saying that Christians were foolish and stupid for believing what they do.
Nowhere in Grimdour's post did he do anything close to imply that Christians who believed (you say "were" so we're assuming past tense here, right?) everything in the Bible literally happened were foolish and stupid. In fact he justified it a bit in stating that we simply did not have the scientific knowledge in those days that we do now.

In order to take offense to Grimdour's statement you would have to assume that the ancient Greeks and Romans who believed their mythology was literal were foolish and stupid themselves. And if you do assume that, then what reason do today's literal-believing Christians have that makes them not as stupid and foolish as you're assuming the Greeks and Romans were?
  #16  
Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 PM
ultraviolet's Avatar
ultravioletMOD ultraviolet is offline
:V
 
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Location: buttstralia
Age: 25
Posts: 3,791
Pronoun: she
ultraviolet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

okay, moved to Srs Bsns because... I don't even know why this was in Insanity in the first place. Please do try and stay on topic!
__________________
nidoqueen
  #17  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Teh Ebil Snorlax Teh Ebil Snorlax is offline
izombie, uzombie, weallzombie
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Age: 24
Posts: 1,474
Pronoun: Male
Teh Ebil Snorlax is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Teh Ebil Snorlax
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnemon View Post
No. He specifically said that he respects gay people
Actually, no he didn't. He said "he doesn't mind" there being gay people on tCoD, which just means he tolerates their presence and says absolutely nothing about whether he respects gay people or not. Furthermore, his first sentence implies that he thinks Christians are more deserving of acceptance than gay people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnemon View Post
No, it's pretty clear there aren't, which is the exact thing making the statement offensive
Lolwut. There are thousands, if not millions, of Christians who believe the events of the Bible happened literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnemon View Post
He's taking offense because to him, (and me), it sounded like Grimdour was saying that Christians were foolish and stupid for believing what they do.
Actually, the sum total of what Grimdour said (both explicit and implicit) is "Some Romans and Greeks believed the events described in their mythology happened literally, just like some Christians do today. But back in Greco-Roman times, it was a majority opinion among the people because they had less scientific knowledge than we today, where literal interpretation of Christian mythology is a minority opinion."

Please outline the offensive part of that statement.
  #18  
Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Butterfree's Avatar
Butterfree Butterfree is offline
Still loves Joltik, though!
 
Join Date: June 22, 2008
Location: Iceland
Age: 28
Posts: 2,438
Pronoun: she
Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

I can sort of vaguely get by what line of logic you'd take offense to it, but Teh Ebil Snorlax's summary of Grimdour's post is accurate and it's a perfectly legitimate comparison (are you honestly trying to argue that Christians who believe in water being changed into wine and the splitting of the Red Sea somehow believe it for much better reasons than the ancient Greeks or Romans?). It only compares; it doesn't judge. If we had a thread about the merits of pedophilia and somebody said "Well, some people are just attracted to children, the way some people are attracted to people of their own sex," that would not be offensive towards homosexuals, either.

Anyway, most older mythologies are pretty bizarre, honestly; I hardly think all of them were not supposed to be taken literally (and what, humanity only invented actual religion in the past few thousand years?). Religions have adapted to our growing body of scientific knowledge about how the world really works and changing cultural ideas about reasonable belief, but back in the day the stuff that seems completely out there to us was just how mythology was and people didn't find it anywhere near that bizarre.
__________________
Butterfree's Current Obsession
Ace Attorney, a series of visual novels about lawyers that I will never stop adoring.
  #19  
Old 05-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Tarvos's Avatar
Tarvos Tarvos is offline
helt plötsligt blev det tyst
 
Join Date: November 30, 2008
Location: Netherlands
Age: 28
Posts: 3,081
Pronoun: He
Tarvos is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Tarvos Send a message via Yahoo to Tarvos
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

Furthermore I don't think there are "writers" of mythology as such - more just chroniclers who wrote down what happened. I'm not sure Roman authors wrote mythological stories intended by the author to be taken literally - instead they used elements of mythology and specific gods of the time (such as the Aeneid taking Aeneas and making him a son of Venus and Anchises) as elements in their story.

I don't think Virgil had the idea "specifically" to make people believe the story literally. It's just how the story had been told for years, he wrote it down, and used artistic licence to make it what it was. I mean, part of the Aeneid describes what happened in Troy as well and Virgil simply had read Homer. Homer's story was the accepted tale of what happened to Troy, I'm not sure what the plebs of the time believed. Some may, some may not have. Probably just like now, many common people believed it, and select other people like Plato, Socrates, Aristotle advanced popular ideas of their own that took and hold sway.
__________________
Men du om nĺn borde förstĺ att man inte gör sĺhär mot mig
  #20  
Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Lady Grimdour's Avatar
Lady Grimdour Lady Grimdour is offline
Chaptermistress of the World Eaters
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 2,218
Pronoun: She
Lady Grimdour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the Greek and Roman mythologists mean for their stories to be taken literally?

HoldonholdonholdonHOLD THE FUCK ON.

Since when did I say Christians are stupid? I am being realistic; there are people in this world who believe that the Bible is historical fact. Maybe not to the letter, but there are some who do believe that the human world is roughly 5000 years old, because of the lack of substantial evidence to prove otherwise. Since when did I say that Christians are all rednecks who burn gays and molest children?

I am a Roman Catholic. I may not have as much faith in God as I used to, but damn you if you think I disrespect those who do. Stating that there are people who do believe in these theories is not being offensive. Stating that these beliefs are stupid is.

Now back on topic. Greek mythology is steeped in miracles, much like modern religion. For example, the eternal story of a god impregnating a mortal, bearing a future king, hero or villain demigod. They usually have enormous strength, or performed impossible tasks. It can simply be someone with good genes and the right upbringing, with a dash of luck. Now people are gonna ask, where did this being come from? He must not be human, he did so and so! Once the person dies, their legend lives on. Cue the chinese whispers, and you have a Greek Champion.

Heracles is a wonderful example; he could have simply been an exceptionally strong, smart man who just happened to go on a rage and kill his family, and now gets "signs" from the gods (i.e. nature) to do a king's labours. Which include killing a lion and cleaning a stable. Easy. Now if the lion's torn through countless men, people may say it's unique; it has impenetrable skin. Or the stables being eternally mucky because it has horrible keepers. And since they're the King's stable keepers, no one can believe that they're horrible at their job, so they blame the stable.
__________________
Team Valor. Free to use.Team Instinct. Free to use.Team Mystic. Free to use.

Choose wisely.


Last edited by Lady Grimdour; 05-25-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Pokémon, Pikachu and all other Pokémon characters © Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. The Cave of Dragonflies, content, styles, etc. © Butterfree/Dragonfree/antialiasis.
Forum now hosted by Eevee's HQ.