The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Important > Announcements

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Butterfree's Avatar
Butterfree Butterfree is offline
Still loves Joltik, though!
 
Join Date: June 22, 2008
Location: Iceland
Age: 28
Posts: 2,438
Pronoun: she
Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree
Default Infractions Visible

Members can now see a little red or yellow card in the bottom-right corner of any post that has been infracted or warned. This is to make it more open and transparent when people get infracted, so that members can see what kind of behaviour is unacceptable even when mods haven't publicly replied to say so.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post here.
__________________
Butterfree's Current Obsession
Ace Attorney, a series of visual novels about lawyers that I will never stop adoring.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 AM
yiran yiran is offline
Metapod
 
Join Date: May 26, 2012
Posts: 381
Pronoun: He
yiran is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to yiran
Default Re: Infractions Visible

What if the post has been edited so that the infracted part is removed? Wouldn't this indication be inaccurate then?
__________________
Fanfiction!
Main Story
もしもふたり逢えたことに 意味があるなら
(If two people brought together by fate has any meaning)

私はそう 自由を知る ためのバイブル
(Then know that I am freedom's Bible)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 AM
Datura's Avatar
Datura Datura is offline
actually a very nice person
 
Join Date: November 7, 2011
Posts: 238
Pronoun: He
Datura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Infractions Visible

i dare you to infract me

edit: double dog dare
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 AM
ultraviolet's Avatar
ultravioletMOD ultraviolet is offline
:V
 
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Location: buttstralia
Age: 25
Posts: 3,791
Pronoun: she
ultraviolet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiran View Post
What if the post has been edited so that the infracted part is removed? Wouldn't this indication be inaccurate then?
that's not how it works! it's not part of the text in the post, it's a little rectangle in the postbit, usually if you hover over it it'll say 'user was infracted for this post' or something. you can't edit them out.
__________________
nidoqueen
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Murkrow's Avatar
Murkrow Murkrow is offline
Says "also" and "or something" a lot
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: UK
Age: 25
Posts: 3,247
Pronoun: He
Murkrow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
that's not how it works! it's not part of the text in the post, it's a little rectangle in the postbit, usually if you hover over it it'll say 'user was infracted for this post' or something. you can't edit them out.
I think he meant if the part of the post that caused it to get an infraction were edited out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 AM
ultraviolet's Avatar
ultravioletMOD ultraviolet is offline
:V
 
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Location: buttstralia
Age: 25
Posts: 3,791
Pronoun: she
ultraviolet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Finish View Post
I think he meant if the part of the post that caused it to get an infraction were edited out.
... well it's gonna show who edited it anyway. It's not like people are going to think you've gotten an infraction for no reason just because you edit the wrong thing out. i would like to give our members a little more credit than that!
__________________
nidoqueen
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Datura's Avatar
Datura Datura is offline
actually a very nice person
 
Join Date: November 7, 2011
Posts: 238
Pronoun: He
Datura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Infractions Visible

feature request: ability to report blatant mod abuse >:(

how about no
__________________

Last edited by ultraviolet; 01-03-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 AM
yiran yiran is offline
Metapod
 
Join Date: May 26, 2012
Posts: 381
Pronoun: He
yiran is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to yiran
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
... well it's gonna show who edited it anyway. It's not like people are going to think you've gotten an infraction for no reason just because you edit the wrong thing out. i would like to give our members a little more credit than that!
No, I mean, for instance, if a post offended someone and was infracted and was edited out, the actual thing that caused the infraction wouldn't be there. I'm not trying to question the integrity of the members, but infracted posts can be edited without malicious intent.
__________________
Fanfiction!
Main Story
もしもふたり逢えたことに 意味があるなら
(If two people brought together by fate has any meaning)

私はそう 自由を知る ためのバイブル
(Then know that I am freedom's Bible)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 AM
ultraviolet's Avatar
ultravioletMOD ultraviolet is offline
:V
 
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Location: buttstralia
Age: 25
Posts: 3,791
Pronoun: she
ultraviolet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiran View Post
No, I mean, for instance, if a post offended someone and was infracted and was edited out, the actual thing that caused the infraction wouldn't be there. I'm not trying to question the integrity of the members, but infracted posts can be edited without malicious intent.
well it's not exactly going to change anything? people are still going to see you were infracted for the post, and if they can see a post was edited they're going to know if you edited something out anyway and probably assume you said something you shouldn't have. I'm pretty sure people will be able to catch onto that. it's not just to make an example of which posts we don't think are appropriate: it also lets users know when their reports are being acted on, too.

to be honest it doesn't really happen that often.
__________________
nidoqueen

Last edited by ultraviolet; 01-03-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Negrek's Avatar
Negrek Negrek is offline
busy dizzy lazy
 
Join Date: July 20, 2008
Location: Lurking
Age: 29
Posts: 5,958
Negrek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Excellent! Now I can stop editing stupid stuff into the posts I infract. (Although I have to admit I am infinitely more entertained by the way that MSPA Forums marks infractions...)

Can ordinary members click the infraction icon for more information, or only mods? If they cant, would it be possible to make the title attribute of the infraction icon the infraction reason? That way if people were confused as to why a post had been infracted, they could at least get some indication by hovering over the marker.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Spoon Spoon is offline
Metapod
 
Join Date: July 5, 2008
Posts: 888
Pronoun: she
Spoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Infractions Visible

What's the difference between red and yellow boxes? Severity?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Negrek's Avatar
Negrek Negrek is offline
busy dizzy lazy
 
Join Date: July 20, 2008
Location: Lurking
Age: 29
Posts: 5,958
Negrek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Yellow is warning (not worth actual points towards a ban); red is infraction.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 AM
Zhorken's Avatar
Zhorken Zhorken is offline
groove out!
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Age: 26
Posts: 1,539
Pronoun: they or she
Zhorken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Oh huh they actually are cards. They're broken in Bachuru style :(
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Butterfree's Avatar
Butterfree Butterfree is offline
Still loves Joltik, though!
 
Join Date: June 22, 2008
Location: Iceland
Age: 28
Posts: 2,438
Pronoun: she
Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrek View Post
Can ordinary members click the infraction icon for more information, or only mods? If they cant, would it be possible to make the title attribute of the infraction icon the infraction reason? That way if people were confused as to why a post had been infracted, they could at least get some indication by hovering over the marker.
They can technically click it, but right now it will bring up a no permission message. It would probably be easier to let them view it than to add the title attribute, but either way would require mucking about with the code some more. I might later if I get around to it.
__________________
Butterfree's Current Obsession
Ace Attorney, a series of visual novels about lawyers that I will never stop adoring.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 AM
1. Luftballon 1. Luftballon is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Posts: 3,363
Pronoun: it
1. Luftballon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Infractions Visible

the lack of date makes the whole shows-edits thing a lot less indicative, mind.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM
yiran yiran is offline
Metapod
 
Join Date: May 26, 2012
Posts: 381
Pronoun: He
yiran is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to yiran
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
well it's not exactly going to change anything? people are still going to see you were infracted for the post, and if they can see a post was edited they're going to know if you edited something out anyway and probably assume you said something you shouldn't have. I'm pretty sure people will be able to catch onto that. it's not just to make an example of which posts we don't think are appropriate: it also lets users know when their reports are being acted on, too.

to be honest it doesn't really happen that often.
You're assuming the edit is to hide that they were infracted for the post.

Okay, let me state this clearer. For instance, I was infracted for a post that may have caused people to feel uncomfortable. I edited that part out (with permission from the moderator that infracted me) in order to prevent further offense to any possible readers. However, with this system, the post will still have an infraction, and as the infraction has been edited out, normal users may be confused by the post, seeing it doesn't have the infraction-worthy part in it but it is still marked as being infracted.
__________________
Fanfiction!
Main Story
もしもふたり逢えたことに 意味があるなら
(If two people brought together by fate has any meaning)

私はそう 自由を知る ためのバイブル
(Then know that I am freedom's Bible)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 PM
AdrianeMOD Adriane is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: June 26, 2008
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Age: 26
Posts: 1,918
Pronoun: she
Adriane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiran View Post
You're assuming the edit is to hide that they were infracted for the post.

Okay, let me state this clearer. For instance, I was infracted for a post that may have caused people to feel uncomfortable. I edited that part out (with permission from the moderator that infracted me) in order to prevent further offense to any possible readers. However, with this system, the post will still have an infraction, and as the infraction has been edited out, normal users may be confused by the post, seeing it doesn't have the infraction-worthy part in it but it is still marked as being infracted.
But the post will still be visibly edited. That's what uv is saying.
__________________
Hi! I'm currently in the process of moving and my internet access is rather sporadic! Please forgive me, especially those in my #mafia game! Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 PM
ultraviolet's Avatar
ultravioletMOD ultraviolet is offline
:V
 
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Location: buttstralia
Age: 25
Posts: 3,791
Pronoun: she
ultraviolet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infractions Visible

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiran View Post
You're assuming the edit is to hide that they were infracted for the post.
No I am not! I'm saying that if you edit something out, the forums automatically tack on 'last edited by yiran at 14:45' or something so everybody is going to know that you've edited something out, and if you have an infraction for seemingly no reason, they're probably going to assume you edited out what you were infracted for!

It's such a non-issue that I don't even know why you're bothering.

edit: and really if you've been infracted for something really offensive in your posts, we (mods) are probably likely to edit it out anyway.
__________________
nidoqueen

Last edited by ultraviolet; 01-04-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 AM
1. Luftballon 1. Luftballon is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Posts: 3,363
Pronoun: it
1. Luftballon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Infractions Visible

having an edit on a post with an infraction makes the presence of said infraction insuf indic, though, since it's difficult to distinguish edit before infraction, edit after infraction unaffects relevance, edit after infraction renders infraction nonindicative, so ??

I mean, I guess it's strictly at least as meaningful as not having had the infraction sign in the first place but

(wish for that edit-incapable could see post history? ... would not risk soul)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM
FnrrfYgmSchnish's Avatar
FnrrfYgmSchnish FnrrfYgmSchnish is offline
...probably not posting here too much anymore.
 
Join Date: October 27, 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 777
FnrrfYgmSchnish has disabled reputation
Default Re: Infractions Visible

I think what people are saying about edited posts (and what a lot of the other replies somehow seem to be missing somehow) is that they can't see what it was the post was infracted for anymore, so they aren't able to use the infracted posts as a "this is what not to do" sort of thing...

Quote:
This is to make it more open and transparent when people get infracted, so that members can see what kind of behaviour is unacceptable even when mods haven't publicly replied to say so.
...like the original post here said the feature was for.

People will know that a post was edited, but not what was removed... so when the offensive part gets edited out, the infraction tag becomes a mostly useless "look, somebody got in trouble!" mark rather than a way for people to get a clearer idea of what kind of stuff isn't allowed in posts.

If the infractions being visible is intended to be used as a guideline for members to know what isn't okay to post by seeing what other people got infractions for, there needs to be some way for others to see what the infraction was for even if the poster (or a mod) went back and edited out the offensive part afterward.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Pokémon, Pikachu and all other Pokémon characters © Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. The Cave of Dragonflies, content, styles, etc. © Butterfree/Dragonfree/antialiasis.
Forum now hosted by Eevee's HQ.