• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your parents' opinion on Pokémon?

Re: Your parents' opinion on Pokémon?

Mine are fine with it. Of course, they're worried that my obsession is getting unhealthy. But I can do other things. Like Karate.

Do we know each other? CODY...?

I'm not that interested in violence/blood/gore/sex.

Not gore or sex... Violence... well... maybe.

MASS DESTRUCTION!

Err... my parents don't mind too much. They are more worried about me becoming 'too emo' and loving death.

They don't particularly condemn it, but they would prefer that I not like it, if that makes sense. My dad in particular. He's like: "Why do you always draw these weird monsters? Why can't you draw real things?" They don't really understand it that well and I don't really try to discuss it with them. Same with other video games, really.

They don't particularly condemn it, but they would prefer that I not like it, if that makes sense. My dad in particular. He's like: "Why do you always draw these weird monsters? Why can't you draw real things?" They don't really understand it that well and I don't really try to discuss it with them. Same with other video games, really.

This.

My mom actively plays the games, ever since D/P. She's farther in Platinum than I am, actually.

My dad has a game but doesn't play it

so...they like it i guess?

Well, my mom doesn't particularly like it (relatively, of course -- she's only watched one episode of Fullmetal Alchemist and she's already into it) but she does know a few names -- mostly of the Pokémon toy things I sleep with. I'm pretty sure she knows Riolu, Sneasel, Munchlax, Glaceon, and Jigglypuff. Her favorite is Jigglypuff.

My dad is neutral, and he doesn't really care much.

My parents don't care in the least. Me and my little brother play the games, get driven to the events and my dad has actively encouraged me and my younger brother preordering the games.

My mum doesn't care that much, but out of the ones she knows her favourites are charmander and lapras. c: My stepdad used to like taking over my gbc when I was level-grinding with wild pokemon.

They're pretty cool with it I guess, but my mum thinks the anime is stupid (and it is).

My parents couldn't care less. My uncles, however, taught me the basics of EV breeding.

Darn, some of you guys have such cool parents/relatives.

I get the feeling my dad doesn't really approve - if I'm doing something to do with Pokemon or buying a new game, he sometimes give me the "Aren't you a bit too old for this?" frown but he usually doesn't say anything.

When I quoted the stat calculation formula and explained EVs and IVs to him while we were on a walk, I think he gained a bit more respect for me and he is usually impressed in a sort of "Why can't you dedicate this much work to your homework?" kind of way. since he enjoys strategy games and would rather have me playing Pokemon than some violent FPS.

I'm not really sure about my mum. She doesn't mind me playing Pokemon but I'm not sure how much she knows. She sometimes looks over at me when I'm playing Colosseum and says "What are you playing? Pokemon?" to which I reply yes and she goes back to what she was doing. However, she actually knows the names of a few Pokemon, which is impressive considering she has never played the games and only gave passing glances at the anime.

When I was 10-14, they were a little worried about how obsessed with it I was (if you'd seen my room, you'd understand) and then from 14-17 they were a little confused as to why I still liked this children's cartoon/game/whatever, and now I still play the game and draw them and so on, but aside from a few cuddly toys I can't bring myself to part with, my room at home's fairly Pokemon-free (I have a few posters up in my room at uni because I'm that cool), and I don't talk about it as much.

But they've never really cared that I like it, and have certianly never tried to put a stop to my obsession with it (or any of my other obsessions), which is nice of them.

In terms of what they think of Pokemon, my dad approaches it with a mild disinterest (which is how he approaches just about everything), and my mum knows a couple of the names and is embarassed to know a few of the theme songs (thanks to my obsessive listening to Pokemon music phase), but that's about it.

I don't think my parents care either. There may have been a period in time where they were a bit concerned about why I still play kids' games or something, but finding out that I have friends who like it too seems to have put a stop to that. I don't really talk about it besides with my brother, but I do talk about it just enough for them to know that HG/SS is coming out a week from today (:D!).

They don't mind that I play it; they bought me a Pokémon board game for Christmas. But they don't know too much about it. My dad thought that Gimli was a Pokémon.

My parents don't like Pokémon that much, but they'd get me a game if i was going crazy about it.

My mom thinks I'm immature whenever I say I still like Pokémon, so aside from a comment once in a while, carefully phrased to sound like I'm remembering something from a long time ago, I don't really talk about it around her. When I show her a drawing I did, I'm careful not to show her any she might know and I just say, "This is a monster from one of my games".

My dad thought that Gimli was a Pokémon.
XDD The mental images...! "Gimli, Gim Gimli!"

"how did a kid that liked pokemon turn into this"

i don't know what that says.

Mine treat it pretty much the same way as any other hobby. My mom is interested in what I do so she's reading my fic and stuff just for that. My dad's more interested in my site and what I'm doing for it, so he's gotten into some of it through my asking for his help to create various things for it and so on.

My mom is worried that Pokémon is getting in the way of my studies - she wants me to focus entirely on school. So she doesn't really like Pokémon. When I mention something Pokémon-related during the weekends, after I've done my homework, she doesn't really mind, though. She also occasionally watches me play PBR, since my Wii is in the living room. All she knows is Pikachu, though -__-
And she hates Bastiodon and says it's ugly D=

She's also surprised that I still like Pokémon. I've been playing it since Yellow first came out, and she wants to know why this is the only thing I've ever stuck with, and for so long. And whenever I buy a new game, her remark is always, "Why do you keep wasting your money on this stuff?"

Mum dislikes Pokemon, probably for the fact that I was 'staring at a tiny screen all the time in your room!' and because any time she actually concentrated on what I was doing it was pretty much all Pokemon related. But that's my mum, she hates me being on laptops and gaming systems etc for 'too long'. There have been a few good moments where she might see something on the TV or the computer and say they look nice. She saw a Rapidash one time and said, "Oh, that's a really pretty one." even though it was just a D/P sprite!

Dad's a little more accepting, I think he's a little bemused by the whole thing. But he does like Pikachu. :3

My parents have less video game knowledge then a shoebox, so they don't care.

Back
Top Bottom