• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Realistic Pokemafia [Innocent win]

Re: Realistic Pokemafia [Day 1]

The thing is your words are hard to read like what does "uncan" even mean

How about we not waste our time and inspect a few of the other players? When Light dies and flips mafia, shouldn't that be reason enough to believe I am telling the truth?

It's not unlikely there are two mafia parties and you're in one of them and got the other. My point about your Pokémon being similar to ZM's still stands.

And we have like 3 Pokémon with fly anyway, we can afford to use one of them on you.

that seems an excessive number of mafia, would expect something like 3.5 in 14.

now, that is almost certaily not all real mafia, so the question is whether any of the unknowns are mafia. this takes roughly the structure of a yomi game and thus I am inclined to say that ... probably the rest aren't mafia. hard to tell, though. consider this entirely non-indicative.

... I jest, I jest. probably. hard to tell. (you know, it was really unclear...)

5 mafia in a game like this wouldn't be that unreasonable. The town can lynch the mafia, but the mafia can only try to attack townspeople, most of which have moves like Scary Face, Protect, or Whirlwind to avoid taking damage. And there are several inspectors, making the game already quite town-favoring. My guess is there would have to be more mafia just to balance the game out.

As for what Light said, while SuperRichieGuru and Shizui could plausibly be mafia, I don't see how Phantom could be. Why would Phantom have a move like Fly, let alone know what it does, if she was anti-town?

Still, I think those that can inspect tonight should inspect (although I'm going to have to use Scary Face now considering I'm likely the mafia victim) and everyone else attack ZM.

5 mafia in a game like this wouldn't be that unreasonable. The town can lynch the mafia, but the mafia can only try to attack townspeople, most of which have moves like Scary Face, Protect, or Whirlwind to avoid taking damage. And there are several inspectors, making the game already quite town-favoring. My guess is there would have to be more mafia just to balance the game out.

As for what Light said, while SuperRichieGuru and Shizui could plausibly be mafia, I don't see how Phantom could be. Why would Phantom have a move like Fly, let alone know what it does, if she was anti-town?

Still, I think those that can inspect tonight should inspect (although I'm going to have to use Scary Face now considering I'm likely the mafia victim) and everyone else attack ZM.

coinflip to decide randomly whether to scary face or inspect. attempting to reason through this is at the same time potentially reproducible and also bad for the sanities of everyone involved, don't do that.

eeh I guess it is town-biased and more mafia might be necessary but in any case there must needs be no more than about 1/3 mafia because otherwise the mafia can roughly control the vote by day 1 if they target well. something like that. inclined most to say four mafia, but five is perhaps plausible if a bit excessive.

The villagers congregate and, due to a few lucky hits, get some definite targets down almost immediately. They spend the rest of the day arguing among themselves about which one they should kill, until finally a consensus is reached. A Walrien that no one knew was in the crowd followed the majority of the villagers' votes, and used one Sheer Cold attack on Light. The Spiritomb screeched as it was frozen to death. Following the gruesome display, the Walrien put up the iced Spiritomb as a statue in the square and everyone went home to bed.

Light has been lynched. He was Mafia.

You have 48 hours for night actions.

Re: Realistic Pokemafia [Night 1]

The town wakes up and convenes to find two pokemon missing. So they take a quick look in Zero Moment's house and, sure enough, the Golurk has a hole in its torso, apparently from a Dark Pulse attack. The second body turns out to be that of a Marowak, absolutely drenched in what was probably a powerful water-type attack. Searching both the bodies, they soon find out that somehow, both of them were part of the mafia! With all but one of the mafia dead, the last one defects to the innocents' side because of their love for Wailord, and the town rejoices.

Zero Moment is dead. He was Mafia.
Glace is dead. He was Mafia.

The innocents win the game.

Flavor texts:
For the innocents said:
Welcome to Realistic Pokemafia. You are innocent, meaning your goal is to kill all of the Mafia. You can do this by attacking people by night, or by lynching them by day. Every night phase, you may use any one of your four moves on a specific chosen target. At the end of each night, you will be told how much damage was done to you, and thus how much HP you have left. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Good luck!

For the mafia said:
Welcome to Realistic Pokemafia. You are a member of the mafia, and your goal is to outnumber the innocents, and this can be accomplished by killing them. Your fellow Mafia members are _____, ___________ and _____. You may communicate amongst yourselves by means of Private Messaging, and possibly coordinate your attacks. There is no one ‘don’ of the mafia, as you all have the means of doing different things. Each night phase, you may use any one of your four moves on a specific chosen target. At the end of each night, you will be told how much damage was done to you, and thus how much HP you have left. Discussion among all players will be held every day phase in the thread for this game. The villagers, including you, will have a chance to lynch one player. The innocents’ goal is to kill all of you, so try to keep that from happening. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Good luck!

Everyone's roles said:
Pinkamena: You are Alakazam
HP: 45/251 – Atk: 136 – Def: 126 – SAtk: 306 – SDef: 206
~Future Sight: Launch an attack that will strike its target the next night! Cannot be used (at all) two nights in a row.
~Disable: Prevents the target from using their night action. Cannot be used (at all) two nights in a row.
~Role Play: Select a player to imitate and a target. You will use the move the imitatee used last night on the target. You will not be told which move you used.
~Psychic: Deals direct damage to one player. Has a 10% chance to lower Special Defense.

Zero Moment: You are Golurk
HP: 0/319 – Atk: 284 – Def: 196 – SAtk: 146 – SDef: 196
~Curse: Sacrifice ½ of your total HP, rounded down, to lay a curse on the target that will drain ¼ of their total HP at the end of each night including tonight.
~Drain Punch: Attack an opponent. You will regain HP equal to half of the damage inflicted.
~Earthquake: Hits one target, and everyone else who targets that player in the same night. Power decreases by 20% for every extra target it hits (100 power for 1, 80 for two, 60 for 3, etc.)
~Rest: Restore all of your HP, in exchange for not being able to speak for the duration of the next day phase.

Vehement Mustelid: You are Metagross
HP: 301/301 – Atk: 306 – Def: 296 – SAtk: 226 – SDef: 216
~Miracle Eye: Identify a single target and find out his or her alignment. Also makes Dark-types susceptible to Psychic-type attacks.
~Scary Face: If anyone tries to use their night action on you tonight, scare them into not doing so. They will find out that you know Scary Face.
~Meteor Mash: Deals damage to a single target. Has a 20% chance to raise Attack by one stage.
~Explosion: Explode in front of a single player, also damaging all other players who target that player in the same night. You will kill yourself in the process.

I Liek Squirtles: You are Blastoise.
HP: 274/299 – Atk: 202 – Def: 236 – SAtk: 206 – SDef: 246
~Protect: Protect yourself from the effects of all attacks against you for just tonight. Every successive use has half the chance of working that the last one did.
~Yawn: Make a target drowsy. They will not be able to speak during the next day phase.
~Skull Bash: This attack raises your Defense for only tonight, and strikes its target first thing tomorrow night. You can use another action tomorrow night.
~Hydro Pump: Deals damage to a single target. It has a 30% chance of missing.

SuperRichieGuru: You are Raichu.
HP: 109/261 – Atk: 216 – Def: 146 – SAtk: 216 – SDef: 196
Evasion +1
~Thunder Wave: Paralyzes the target, making it so that their night actions have a 25% chance of not working until the paralysis wears off in 3 nights. This move will affect Ground-types.
~Double Team: Makes it so that all future attacks have a 20% extra chance of not hitting you. Can be used up to twice over the course of the game.
~Thunderbolt: Attacks a single target with a coursing beam of electricity. Has a 10% chance to paralyze.
~Feint: A guaranteed hit on a single target, which will definitely hit under any circumstances.

Phantom: You are Charizard.
HP: 297/297 – Atk: 204 – Def: 192 – SAtk: 254 – SDef: 206
~Scary Face: If anyone tries to use any night action on you, you will scare them off. However, they will find out that you know Scary Face.
~Smokescreen: Blind an opponent with smoke. For the rest of the game, all of their attacks have an extra 20% chance of missing. One opponent can only be blinded twice at maximum.
~Heat Wave: Deal damage to a single player, as well as every other player who targets that player at some point in the night.
~Fly: Deal damage to a single target. You will also find out your target’s alignment, either Innocent or Mafia.

Gym Leader Shizui: You are Mamoswine.
HP: 361/361 – Atk: 296 – Def: 196 – SAtk: 176 – SDef: 156
~Scary Face: If anyone tries to use any night action on you, you will scare them off. However, they will find out that you know Scary Face.
~Avalanche: Deals damage to a single target. If you take damage during the night, this attack’s power doubles.
~Earthquake: Deals damage to a selected player, as well as every other player who targets that player at some point in the night.
~AncientPower: Deals damage to a single target. Has a 20% chance to raise all of the user’s stats at the end of the night.

Glace: You are Marowak.
HP: 0/261 – Atk: 196 – Def: 256 – SAtk: 136 – SDef: 196
~Focus Punch: Strike a single target with a powerful attack. If you are hit during the night by a damaging attack, this attack fails.
~Perish Song: Target a single player. That player will die at the end of the following phase, but so will you. You can also use this attack during the daytime (by typing “Use Perish Song on <target>” at the expense of your action the following night.
~Boomerang: Strikes a single player once and one person who targeted that player on the same night once. If no one else attacks this move’s target, it hits the targeted player twice instead of once.
~Skull Bash: This attack raises your Defense for only tonight, and strikes its target first thing tomorrow night. You can use another action tomorrow night.

blazhierio889: You are Volcarona.
HP: 311/311 – Atk: 156 – Def: 166 – SAtk: 306 – SDef: 246
~Morning Sun: Heals you or another chosen player by ½ of your/their max HP, rounded up.
~Rage Powder: Forces a single player, as well as any other players who target that player in the same night, to attack you instead of their intended target for this night.
~Fiery Dance: Deals damage to a single target. Has a 50% chance to raise Special Attack.
~Bug Buzz: Deals damage to a single target. Has a 10% chance to lower Special Defense, and deals chip damage to all players who target this move’s target tonight.

sreservoir: You are Wailord.
HP: 401/481 – Atk: 216 – Def: 126 – SAtk: 216 – SDef: 126
~Attract: You MUST use this move on the first night; after that you may not use it any more. You will cause a player of your choice to become your lover, so that if you die they do also; it does not work in reverse. In addition, you and they may communicate privately through Private Messages. If the player is mafia they will win with the innocents only if all the other mafia are dead and they are alive. In addition, all their attacks against you have reduced power.
~Heavy Slam: Deals damage to a single target.
~Water Spout: Inflicts damage based on the percentage of HP you have left. Hits a chosen player, as well as any other players who target that player in the same night.
~Selfdestruct: Inflicts damage on a chosen player, as well as all players who targeted that player during the same night. The user faints.

Light: You are Spiritomb.
HP: 251/251 – Atk: 220 – Def: 252 – SAtk: 220 – SDef: 252
~Hypnosis: Attack a single player. That player will not be able to speak during the next day phase. This attack is considered to have 100% accuracy.
~Destiny Bond: If you are killed tonight or the next night, the player who landed the final blow will die with you. Cannot be used two nights in a row.
~Dark Pulse: Deals damage to a single opponent. Has a 20% chance to make the target flinch, stopping their night action from working.
~Ominous Wind: Deals damage to a chosen player, as well as any other players who target that player on the same night. Every time this attack is used there is a 10% chance of all of your stats rising.

Yiran: You are Hydreigon.
HP: 325/325 – Atk: 246 – Def: 216 – SAtk: 286 – SDef: 216
~Dragon Pulse: Deals damage to a single opponent.
~Scary Face: If anyone tries to use their night action on you tonight, scare them into not doing so. They will find out that you know Scary Face.
~Thunder Wave: Paralyzes the target, making it so that their night actions have a 25% chance of not working until the paralysis wears off in 3 nights. This move will affect Ground-types.
~Dark Pulse: Deals damage to a single target. Has a 20% chance to make the target flinch, stopping their night action from working.

Lyra Heartstrings: You are Skarmory.
HP: 271/271 – Atk: 196 – Def: 316 – SAtk: 116 – SDef: 176
~Roost: Restore either half of your own HP, or half of another chosen player’s HP.
~Fly: Deals damage to a single target. Also lets you find out their alignment, either Innocent or Mafia.
~Whirlwind: If anyone tries to target you tonight, not only will their attack not affect you, it will also be redirected to a random other target.
~ Feint: A guaranteed hit on a single target, which will definitely hit under any circumstances.

Maimi: You are Cradily.
HP: 313/313 – Atk: 198 – Def: 230 – SAtk: 198 SDef: 250
~AncientPower: Deals damage to a single opponent. Has a 20% chance to raise all of the user’s stats after one usage.
~Wring Out: Deals damage to a single opponent. This damage is variable based on the amount of HP they have left.
~Giga Drain: Deals damage to a single opponent. Restores HP equal to ½ the damage inflicted.
~Block: Prevents a chosen target from using his or her night action tonight.

The progress of the game said:
Night 0
~[Gym Leader Shizui / Mamoswine] uses Scary Face.
~[I Liek Squirtles / Blastoise] uses Protect.
~[Yiran / Hydriegon] uses Scary Face.
~[Lyra Heartstrings / Skarmory] uses Whirlwind.
~[SuperRichieGuru / Raichu] uses Double Team.
~[Blazhierio889 / Volcarona] attacks [I Liek Squirtles / Blastoise] with Fiery Dance. [I Liek Squirtles / Blastoise] takes 0 damage.
~[sreservoir / Wailord] uses Attract on [Maimi / Cradily].
~[Phantom / Charizard] uses Fly on [Zero Moment / Golurk]. [Zero Moment / Golurk] takes 77 damage. [Phantom / Charizard] learns [Zero Moment / Golurk]’s alignment (Mafia).
~[Vehement Mustelid / Metagross] uses Miracle Eye on [Light / Spiritomb]. [Light / Spiritomb] becomes vulnerable to Psychic-type attacks. [Vehement Mustelid / Metagross] learns [Light / Spiritomb]’s alignment (Mafia).
~[Maimi / Cradily] uses Giga Drain on [Gym Leader Shizui / Mamoswine]. The move fails.
~[Zero Moment / Golurk] uses Drain Punch on [Gym Leader Shizui / Mamoswine]. The move fails.
~[Glace / Marowak] uses Boomerang on [SuperRichieGuru / Raichu], who takes 152 damage. One hit missed.
~[Light / Spiritomb] uses Dark Pulse on [Pinkamena / Alakazam], dealing 206 damage.
~[Pinkamena / Alakazam] does not send in a night action. She uses Future Sight on [Blazhierio889 / Volcarona]. It will deal 106 damage tomorrow night.

Day 1
~Town lynches [Light / Spiritomb].

Night 1
~[Pinkamena / Alakazam] uses Disable on [Zero Moment / Golurk]
~[Gym Leader Shizui / Mamoswine] uses Scary Face.
~[Phantom / Charizard] uses Scary Face.
~[Zero Moment / Golurk] could not use Rest.
~[Vehement Mustelid / Metagross] uses Miracle Eye on [Gym Leader Shizui]. The attack fails.
~[Lyra Heartstrings / Skarmory] uses Fly on [Zero Moment / Golurk], who takes 109 damage.
~[Blazheirio899 / Volcarona] uses Morning Sun on [sreservoir / Wailord].
~[I Liek Squirtles / Blastoise] uses Hydro Pump on [Zero Moment / Golurk]. The attack misses.
~[Yiran / Hydreigon] uses Dark Pulse on [Zero Moment / Golurk], dealing 213 damage.
~[sreservoir / Wailord] uses Water Spout on [Glace / Marowak], dealing 372 damage.
~[SuperRichieGuru / Raichu] does not send in a night action, and uses Feint on [I Liek Squirtles / Blastoise], dealing 25 damage.
~[Glace / Marowak] does not send in a night action, and uses Focus Punch on [SuperRichieGuru / Raichu]. The move fails.
~[Maimi / Cradily] does not send in a night action, and uses Wring Out on [sreservoir / Wailord], dealing 80 damage.
~[Zero Moment / Golurk] is killed by too much damage.
~[Glace / Marowak] is killed by too much damage.
~Innocents win.

So, feedback. what did you like about the game, how could it be made better?

So, feedback. what did you like about the game, how could it be made better?

I thought it was a great concept, and you should try and do more of these.

You should work on balancing the game though. There were far too many self-protecting moves, and too many inspectors. The mafia didn't stand a chance, really. Just take that into consideration if you make another game like this.

*nuzzles res*

Sorry, mafia! I... actually admitted my alignment to res quite early; Birdy had already implied I was mafia ("You may now communicate freely through Private Messages with Mai. Your alignment will not change, and bear in mind that if Mai dies you will not necessarily die with them."), and with the ability to easily abandon ship I figured why not. When Zero Moment and Light were both inspected... well, I just happened to mention how much of an easy OHKO water spout would be on marowak. And with practically winning already, I kind of didn't bother sending in an action, so sorry to res too. ._.

What Vehement said, basically. The mafia were seriously underpowered. Also, adding speed somehow would be interesting; since it didn't count, there's really no point to having a fast 'mon (... which factored into choosing cradily, yeah).

I'd definitely play again, though! Maybe a LC game next? If we separate things into tiers, pokemon could be more evenly matched--although that can ban a lot of favorite pokemon, so.

I was like "wat" when I saw the thread title.

Still, yeah, innocents too strong and too many protecting moves. A lot of effort was clearly put in though and I like that. I'm definitely in for another game.

Maybe the Mafia boss should get an OHKO in addition to whatever moves they have? The Mafia not being able to kill, guaranteed barring heal/protect or whatever, is kinda off. Although that might mean that with the boss' instakill and the goons' attacks, more than one Mafia kill can happen. So I dunno.

Maybe the Mafia boss should get an OHKO in addition to whatever moves they have? The Mafia not being able to kill, guaranteed barring heal/protect or whatever, is kinda off. Although that might mean that with the boss' instakill and the goons' attacks, more than one Mafia kill can happen. So I dunno.

Well, OHKOs would have 30% accuracy here--nottt the hugest boost you can give. :P I dunno, the mafia not having OHKOs is a really interesting mechanic; I don't think removing that part to give balance is the best idea. More than one mafia kill is unusual, sure, but it's not inherently a bad thing; a lot of circumstances can create two deaths or more during the night.

I think cutting the number of inforoles and healers would be the best move here; nerfing the town > improving the mafia, probably.

Maybe the mafia could get items or something if that still unworks, though?

I meant an attack that guarantees a kill outside of heal/protect or whatever, so not exactly an OHKO... an OHKO with 100% accuracy, more like. :P

Back
Top Bottom