• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Setting up a Web Server.

kyeugh

onion witch
Pronoun
she/her
Hi. So, I'm setting up a web server (Apache, specifically) because I thought it would be nice to have one in general. Anyway, I've never done this before, so I have no idea what it's asking for; I don't know what my server domain or my name server is. I have no idea how to find them, either; I tried Google, and there was nothing of worth. Can someone help walk me through it? I'm willing to answer questions if needed.

By the way, my host is x10, and my domain is www.mohacastle.com .

You're trying to set up a server on your own computer or on your hosting provider's system? Depending on what x10 lets you install, you might be able to do the latter, but it wouldn't make much sense: your hosting account is already a space on their web server; sticking a web server in their web server (so you can... okay, I'll stop) is possible, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do it.

Unless you have some kind of virtual hosting package (I'm just guessing you have a free/inexpensive plan, and virtual hosting usually isn't the cheap kind), in which case okay, you probably are going to need to install your own server. In that case, or if you decide to install one locally, then my first response would be to Google for tutorials, so it would be nice if you could say what you found unhelpful about the ones you've been looking at. I'd be very surprised if your virtual machine weren't Linux, and if you're hoping to install on a local Windows box, be sure to include "Windows" in your search terms because the default assumption is that you're running Linux and indeed you're going to find the results most unhelpful. You might also try Googling tutorials for installing the "LAMP stack," since these are often very step-by-step and aimed at beginners. Just ignore the parts of the tutorial that don't pertain to Apache (the M and P parts, primarily), and you'll be fine.

It would be good to know why you think it would be "nice to have" your own server. You already have space on the internet (since you have a web site); what additional niceness do you think having your own server would afford you?

You're trying to set up a server on your own computer or on your hosting provider's system? Depending on what x10 lets you install, you might be able to do the latter, but it wouldn't make much sense: your hosting account is already a space on their web server; sticking a web server in their web server (so you can... okay, I'll stop) is possible, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do it.
Well, I didn't want to do that specifically... it was just my understanding that this is what you were supposed to do. Basically I want to do all this because I'm trying to configure MediaWiki, and you need a web server for that! Basically I assumed that I would be dealing with my web host, but apparently not. I'm completely new to all this, so it isn't surprising to me that most of my assumptions are... a bit off.

Unless you have some kind of virtual hosting package (I'm just guessing you have a free/inexpensive plan, and virtual hosting usually isn't the cheap kind), in which case okay, you probably are going to need to install your own server. In that case, or if you decide to install one locally, then my first response would be to Google for tutorials, so it would be nice if you could say what you found unhelpful about the ones you've been looking at. I'd be very surprised if your virtual machine weren't Linux, and if you're hoping to install on a local Windows box, be sure to include "Windows" in your search terms because the default assumption is that you're running Linux and indeed you're going to find the results most unhelpful. You might also try Googling tutorials for installing the "LAMP stack," since these are often very step-by-step and aimed at beginners. Just ignore the parts of the tutorial that don't pertain to Apache (the M and P parts, primarily), and you'll be fine.
Haha yeah, I totally have Windows. I would have Linux, except my parents would probably be really mad if I did, so. I'm sort of stuck. The unhelpful bit is that it's pretty basic and is assuming that I already have some base knowledge about this, which I don't.

It would be good to know why you think it would be "nice to have" your own server. You already have space on the internet (since you have a web site); what additional niceness do you think having your own server would afford you?
I believe I answered this at the beginning of the post, but just for clarity, I'm trying to configure MediaWiki.

So, you're saying I'd have to get a server of my own, basically? In that case, I have no idea how I would go about doing that-- again, I had assumed Apache itself had that covered, so. I'm a bit clueless, as you can probably tell.

No, MediaWiki is definitely something that you'd install on your host (if they allow you to install things!). Like I said, your site is already running on a server. The hosting provider you use has install scripts for a lot of different pieces of software, apparently, and I'd be surprised if MediaWiki wasn't one of them. Log into your control panel and see whether it's available there; there should be some kind of autoinstaller where you'll just have to fill in a few fields and click a button and be good to go.

If not, then you can install MediaWiki manually, but this may not be possible on the hosting plan you have. You'll need to e-mail your host's support and ask--in order to do so you'd most likely need SSH access and the permissions to install things, but you can just ask whether you can get MediaWiki on your site and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom