• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

America's Election At Stake

Update~

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/us/politics/22scotus.html?hp

Sweeping aside a century-old understanding and overruling two important precedents, a bitterly divided Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that the government may not ban political spending by corporations in candidate elections.

Screw you, conservatives.

Clearly, the only solution here is to start some kind of corporation in a small but growing business and buy out Congress with mah money, then buy out whoever the President will be, make Congress amend the Constitution to say that corporations are not persons, and then disintegrate before Wal-Mart buys me out.

okay, this really sucks actually. i heard about it only because my dad is an election law professor and he was going batshit over it, so yeah.

candidates spend way too much money on campaigns. obama spent 600 million dollars on his campaign. think about all the good that could be done in the world for 600 million dollars. you could feed like 1.5 million starving people for a year with that sort of dough (assuming that a) i did the math right and b) a starving person would be cool with just eating a pack of ramen every day)

and i mean in the end the person who is the president shouldn't be based on how much money they have. it should be based on their policies and whatnot. the government needs to severely limit the amount of money candidates can spend on their campaigns. it's not like people won't know who's running for president - they'll just have to go find their own facts on the internet instead of getting them from bullshit propaganda attack ads.

If corporations are people can they get married? (as long as they're heterosexual, non-related corporations, I mean)

@Zeta:
I totally agree with you in that the amounts of money spent on election campaigns is obscene, but on the other hand, only a handful of people bother to vote in the first place, and that's even after having the candidates shove "I AM SO GREAT" propaganda down their throats for like a year before. How many people would bother to vote if they had to do their own homework to figure out who stood for what?

Probably only people who wanted to take time to inform themselves about the candidates - i.e, the only people who should be voting.

This also means that the republicans win. Er, well, the capitalists win I guess, and more specifically the libertarians win.

I am doing research on this for debate. I now want to move to Australia. (or Japan, but those guys are pretty messed up, so Australia it is.)

NO DONT MOVE

I know it's easier to just move to a different country with a better political system than to change the one here, but some people don't have that luxury! Some people (like the many homeless in my city) can't just flee to England or Australia, and they're going to be screwed over the most. The more people that know about this policy, the better chance there is of preventing anything like this from happening ever again. If everyone against this just leaves, then you leave the capitalists here, in control. I have a feeling that wouldn't be good for anyone.

So please, US Americans, don't leave! We may have a chance of salvaging something out of this wreckage yet. This goes for everyone: don't just whinge about it, do something! Raise awareness, tell your friends, make a website, I don't know, but don't... give up. :(

Back
Top Bottom