• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Let's say nice things about gen 4

...the 4th generation games are generally disliked? Weird.

The 4th generation is probably my favorite one of the bunch, actually. Diamond/Pearl got me back into Pokémon after years of disinterest, and I still think Platinum and HG/SS were probably the best main-series Pokémon games so far, at least among those I've played (though at this point I've mostly lost interest... so I haven't played anything that came out after Black/White 2.)

And, as mentioned already by a couple others, the physical/special split is one of the best changes to the game mechanics they've ever come up with... seriously, that's something that should've happened all the way back in the days of the original Game Boy. As much as I liked the original Gold/Silver, they definitely made some mistakes in that generation... "Dark is a special type!" was the dumbest thing about the Dark type back then (about the only thing about the type that actually ranks higher on the dumb-o-meter than being immune to Psychic for... absolutely no reason outside of type balancing), and if they'd split types and special-ness along with splitting the Special stat itself into special attack/defense, that would've never happened. HG/SS corrected almost all of the original G/S's mistakes, now that I think about it (G/S/C's version of Kanto was awful, for example. HG/SS's Kanto is significantly better. It's nice to have a real Viridian Forest again rather than that dinky little winding path through some bushes from G/S/C.)

There are a couple things about the 4th-generation games I'm not a fan of, of course. The "crappy 3D everywhere!" maps and "ugly bobble-head" trainer/NPC sprites that have followed us from that point onward (though thankfully they've improved the graphics since then--Platinum and HG/SS were a step up from D/P and they've just improved more from there--I would still much rather have some well-done 2D... as much as the 6th-gen in-battle graphics surprised me with their not-awfulness, Pokémon in general just don't look that great in 3D, and there are some even in X/Y's "actually decent looking, not just re-using the awful Pokémon Stadium style graphics" version of things that look bad... Swalot for example, when did the entire species get two big round tumors on their faces in place of lips?) started out there, HG/SS did that weird thing where they changed Red's Espeon into a Lapras for no good reason, and the abomination known as Lickilicky came from that generation too.

...But even considering those bits, there's A LOT more positive than negative about the 4th generation.

Gen 4 doesn't deserve hate, even if I never got through my pearl game.

Sinnoh has a lot of amazing pokemon one of them being the AMAZING lucario <3, pretty much every sinnoh fan i've met is awesome, and, to top it all off, sinnoh really had the best anime series in my book. I swear I could watch diamond pearl's episodes more times than anything else in a show period without getting bored, pretty much :P There might even be favorite eps i've already seen around 20 times through re-runs/pokemon.com....(i'm unsure. but theres eps i recall seeing a bunch of times, namely ones focusing on dawn :P i've always enjoyed her character a lot. i used to constantly make dawn blingees, too......in fact, most of my oldest blingees are related to dawn from d/p, i think xD)

D/P's franchise was awesome. The haters make me sad.

Honestly, haters of any pokemon gen make me a little sad.....though kalos and alola haters i can understand a little more tbh (kalos, mainly due to amourshipping, though *but they STINK, soo....*. and alola ehhhh it was a bit lack lushter even to me xD; ).

But yeah, sinnoh is awesome, and good friends of mine like it, too, so I can't help but shake my head when people put it down......even if i did go through some sh*t during the games haydays. To be fair, it could have potential as an overall favorite region of mine, period, if not for that. I really see more good in this gen overall :) And stuff I remember from the games, outside my insecurities those years, tend to be very awesome. I even own a sinnoh region game guide book <3 i just hope i won't have to throw it out, since it got kept in my closet, which sadly got super moldy.....(buuuut, i have loads of fun memories reading that book :3 tbh, its been my favorite game guide i've owned xD and its even exciting to me that its of games i never even got to finish yet. so its got a good amount of future potential for me :3 hopefully lysol or something might help get rid of mold spores it could be carrying....I DO NOT want to throw this book out. its really too awesome :|)

Last edited:
Nice post, @LadyJirachu! I agree that the Diamond and Pearl series was the best Pokemon series to date. I thought the characters were well developed and had interesting focus episodes in that series. And this gen introduced some cool Pokemon, like Lucario, Infernape, Staraptor, and Luxray. I also liked the music soundtracks this gen had.

Also weird enough my 3 favorites are

Loppunny (2nd fav) Pokedex number 428
Lucario (fav) Pokedex number 448
Togekiss (3rd fav) pokedex number 468

@LadyJirachu
You can't forget darkrai when talking about cute legendaries. XD

^ crazy dex numbers :O

Darkrai isn't so cute to me....
:P More like scary LOL okay maybe he's a little adorable in the movie but xD

HE GIVES NIGHTMARES O___o;;; lol....

I had actual nightmares with darkrai in them before.

....and i'm sure he woulda gave me nightmares when i was little too :P You're pretty naturally tough emmy lol

Honestly I love how rough and torn up Sinnoh is! It's like you're constantly on a mountain climb with all the outcrops, natural hazards, and deep caves. It feels like the routes are much more spacious and claimed by the wild, so there's more to see and do.

Back
Top Bottom