• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Yourself on the internet, eight or so years ago.

Storm Earth and Fire

Would you like to make a contract?
Now, I don't know how many of you are old enough to have such a history, but I was looking at the wayback machine to try and find old RPs I did on both iterations of the Pokemon Crater forums (high-five if anyone here was a part of that), but alas, only page one is archived and the threads don't work. No way to look at my profile, either.

So, I tried Googling my old username + Pokemon Crater. I find an ancient post on some Yu-Gi-Oh! proboard by none other than 'shotgunknight12' dating back to 2004. He spoke (in a manner most obnoxious and offensive to people who enjoy good grammar) of this Pokemon Crater, about how much he enjoys roleplaying, and how the others should join him there (once the forums returned). His username there being 'link008'. You can hover over my username here to see the connection.

This led me to at least one other forum dating from the same time period, run by someone from the same YGO board. It was my first time as an admin, and I managed a brief 'coup', taking over the place and introducing the crowd to roleplaying.

I was a mess back then, of course. My words were only properly capitalized if it was a RP post, or in the case of proper nouns. I think my favorite quote from this period is 'i know, i know, an admin thats too lazy to capitalize half the time.'

I miss being so carefree sometimes, and I knew some great folks back then. Enough about me, has anyone here tried something like this? How do you feel about your online persona and presence back then as opposed to now?

Last edited:
My first forum ramblings don't exist anymore. They were at GameFAQs I think, arguing with an idiot fellow member about how Perfect Dark was better than GoldenEye on the N64. Since GameFAQs deletes old topics, they're gone.

everything of old!me on the internet is deleted. ( ゚ ヮ゚)

there's posts on neopets (but the neopets boards are purged like, daily) and there's posts on ye olde tcodf of late which is gone as we all know.

tumblr_m3tph1xHWo1qezlaw.gif

don't make me think about that

if you make me think about that terrible things will happen!!!

One thing's for sure, I always used correct grammar (or at least, what I thought was correct grammar). I've actually deviated from that pattern more often in the last few years.

I'm not sure I was even ON the internet eight years ago, but when I did get on the first forum I gravitated to was Psypoke. That was fun for a while, but eventually I got bored of it. Interestingly, those first two years on that site were when I thought of my bird mono idea. But I was also a pretty huge n00b.

I like this place better because everyone is so friendly to each other and it's like a close-knit community more!

I wrote the most ridiculous fanfiction. And made up fake Pikachus. And was horribly n00b-ish, but so was everybody else because they were 10 years old too.

I wrote the most ridiculous fanfiction. And made up fake Pikachus. And was horribly n00b-ish, but so was everybody else because they were 10 years old too.

I thought your old fanfics were awesome D: but that was like seven years ago sooooo...

i was stupid and egotistical
anyone who was around on old!TCoD may remember G-Mew and how much they hated her
especially in the art thread where she made shitty "3-D" sprites and everyone was like "they're shit" "NO THEY'RE NOT"
and her stupid RP's which were just ... stupid
and her stupid fanfics featuring Mary Sue characters and incredibly stupid plotlines
and her stupid... everything

yeaaaaah I've come a long way since those days.

nah man your fanfics and pikachus were awesome
i remember something about kadabras and bins???

how old was i 8 year ago... 12 JESUS CHRIST...
so i was pretty much on tcod all the time and i had my own pokemon fansite too and i had a forum which i neglected a lot

and this was back when this forum right here was at its best. well not it's /best/, that was conforums, but IF tcod was still pretty great too. i still hadn't developed much of a personality, but i was friends with a looooot of people here.
then i met some guy here and we became the first long distance relationship in the history of tcod and he turned out to be an emotionally abusive piece of shit.

GOOD TIMES

Every so often I get into this terrifying mood where I have to go root through internet history. I surface hours later.

Fortunately I don't think I published that much bad writing?? Though I do vaguely remember emo FFVII poetry fic or something which I was enormously proud of. Mostly I just roleplayed wolves which... I still do... ... except then they were called things like Shark and Opal and were secret shamans or something except to be super original I called them Sighters rather than Seers. :|a~

I actually owned my own decently-sized wolf RP forum, once! I pretended to be from Ethiopia where my parents owned a wolf sanctuary then one day I CONFESSED and it was my internet drama phase. Then proboards brought in a new rule where it asked everyone who owned sites their age and because I was an awesome person I admitted that I wasn't 13 and then they deleted my entire site which I am still a little tiny bit not over.

actually going through tCoD history is the funnest because the oldest stuff is where I'd *just* joined so there is nothing embarrassing about me, only about everyone else here!!!! :D

When I first discovered the internet, it was over at ye olde TRsRockin forums, back when the site existed, back in 2005. I daresay I might have been worse than Poly up there, and she was pretty bad.

To put this in perspective for you, 12 year old me admired her above just about every other member of that forum.

Mercifully for them, 12 year old me never actually joined the forum. Not until two years later of course. Then when I actually joined I was still pretty awful.

I believe the earliest forum I joined was serebii about six years ago, I just looked over my earliest posts now. I acted stupid but it's not really embarrassingly stupid because it's just how you'd expect a 13 year old to act. Every time I made a joke I'd make sure to say "(get it?)" and things like that. Also lol, 2006 me discussing the possibility of GSC remakes hoping they'd be made on the GBA rather than DS.

Though after my earliest posts there are things I find annoying about me. Like both there and here on my profile page my bio was "not a n00b".

In fact I was really shy even on the internet because I recall posting in the Zelda thread here after Phantom Hourglass came out saying there were some ship pieces I didn't have. Then someone PMed me (Grimdour I think, can't check because it was pre-crash) saying we could help each other get pieces of the ship. I was so freaked out that someone PMed me that I left for a couple of months hoping nobody would remember me when I came back. My plan might even have been to never come back but I dunno. If I recall I probably only had about 90 posts at the time so it's not like anyone would have known me anyway.

I probably did go on the internet before I joined any forums though, I can't really remember what I'd do. Probably flash games or something. Miniclip and the like, which I probably found (along with pretty much every website I went on back then) by googling the obvious thing of "free online games". Imagine how rebellious I must have felt whenever I came across a flash game website that had adult flash games as well! And without "ARE YOU OVER 18" so scare me away either!

Not exactly online but I remember I did try to make a website. It had menus and everything! Then I gave up when I realised I didn't have any idea how to put it on the internet, and that it was quite a boring website anyway because every page was at most two paragraphs long, saying nothing significant at all. Though I do admire the effort I put into it, if I had that sort of determination today I'd probably finish a lot of the things I'm too lazy to do these days. If you look only at that I guess I'm actually a worse person now than I was then :(
Though this website I made didn't totally go to waste, because when year 10 came around and I was going an IT GCSE, we could chose between making a website or a poster for the "company" we were "working for". I just took that website and changed its purpose. (and changed papyrus to times new roman!)

I was too young 8 years ago, but when I first discovered internet I was playing Club Penguin and ROBLOX nonstop.

I can't find anything from then, 8 at the time. But I know by then, I was on Twitter and Facebook, a MySpace on the way. I had a YouTube, but don't rememer it. I know that I would post random stuff, but I can't find any examples.

then i met some guy here and we became the first long distance relationship in the history of tcod and he turned out to be an emotionally abusive piece of shit.

GOOD TIMES

who was that? i don't remember this

When I first discovered the internet, it was over at ye olde TRsRockin forums, back when the site existed, back in 2005. I daresay I might have been worse than Poly up there, and she was pretty bad.

thank you <3
(nah it ain't insulting if it's true!)

To put this in perspective for you, 12 year old me admired her above just about every other member of that forum.

i still don't know how/why

I... was eleven and not really on forums then? I think I RPed wolves at that point. But I might have been too young to even do that, at least.

I was still an awful noob when I joined tCoD, but all records of that time were lost in the crash. I remember being pretentious and also posting my fanfic and thinking it was the best thing ever when it kind of clearly sucked.

Back
Top Bottom