The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Pokémon > General Pokémon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Lost

Pronoun: She/Her
RedRum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Morality of Training Pokemon

Do you remember in the Celebi film, the dark Ball demonstration by the hunter. The moment Tyranitar and then later Celebi were captured in it, they were evil. I think any standard pokeball works in the same way, the pokemon is just then instantly tamed.

Pokemon are like any real wild animal, it's all about survival and nothing else. Take Koko the gorilla, anyone heard of her. She's famous for being able to speak sign language, she knows well over one hundred signs I believe. Apes have always been regarded as the smartest animals there are next to people, but Koko couldn't know all these signs without having been taught. I have also seen Chimps and Orangutans who can actually read and solve math problems but again these are all capabilities not instincts, an ape may be capable of learning to read or sign but could never without being taught.

This applies to even humans, does anyone here play an instrument? Well could you have without being taught(self taught included)? I doubt it.

Pokemon I suspect work the same way, they are of course capable of skillful and strategical battle but need to be taught and trained. It makes perfect sense.

I may be cute but cross me and I'll BITE!

Last edited by RedRum; 09-12-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Crystal is awesome. Period.

Pronoun: Female
Enkoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I've always puzzled over the subject.

I haven't since Pokemon 4 Ever but I have been told there are Dark Balls there, so Amber I think you're right, that if a Pokemon is caught in a Poke Ball they are instantly tamed and are "made" or "forced" to obey the trainer's commands. Usually a legendary is "forced" to obey them when captured in a Poke Ball, as a legendary has a more smarter and developed mind than your average Bidoof (**** BIDOOF!) so yeah. But if you trade a Pokemon, they don't really obey you unless you have a badge, so I think a badge is a sort of "outsider" Pokemon tame-device, apart from being keys to use HMs.

Soul Silver team (as of 17.10.10) region: Kanto
Lugia :: Dragonair

Heart Gold team (as of 17.10.10) region: Johto
Chikorita

♪~Made by the wonderful Superbird~♪
Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Still loves Joltik, though!

Pronoun: she
Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree

Quote:
Do you remember in the Celebi film, the dark Ball demonstration by the hunter. The moment Tyranitar and then later Celebi were captured in it, they were evil. I think any standard pokeball works in the same way, the pokemon is just then instantly tamed.
But that doesn't make any sense. Why would anyone make a big deal about Dark Balls if normal Pokéballs were exactly the same thing? The whole point of Dark Balls is that balls that force Pokémon to blindly obey are bad.

Further, we see a very, very clear difference between the behavior of Pokémon under actual Pokéball-induced mind-control as seen in the movie and the behavior of ordinary Pokémon who have been caught in ordinary Pokéballs. Dark Ball Celebi was stiff, soulless and blindly obedient; normal Pokémon are far from it. We see Pokémon disobeying ordinary trainers frequently, but it's always portrayed as a casual, lazy, disrespectful disobedience as opposed to the pure despair of Celebi shaking off the influence of the Dark Ball. Normal Pokéballs are not mind-control devices; this has been made quite plain.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Fire emblem is great

Pronoun: He
Superbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Superbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfree View Post
Why would anyone make a big deal about Dark Balls if normal Pokéballs were exactly the same thing?
Dark balls, in addition to mind-controlling the subject, also substantially increase the subject's power. In my opinion, Pokéballs don't force a pokémon to obey, but they do capture the pokémon. A pokémon in a Pokéball has control of its actions, but the pokéball makes it more docile and willing to obey its trainer.

As for traded pokémon, they were already connected to their previous owner, and feel like their new trainer isn't worthy enough to control them. The amount of badges a trainer has shows the traded pokémon that the trainer is strong, and is indeed worthy enough to harness the pokémon's abilities. This is why the more badges one has, the more pokémon obey.

If I'm reffing your ASB battle, you can find my reffing scale in this document. Mostly it involves details on stat modifications and status conditions, as well as my interpretation of the damage formula, other clarifications regarding the specifics of certain attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokémon Showdown VGC
[02:22:35] +Superbird: ok seriously tho can I get some opinions on modern art
[02:22:42] +Superbird: its important
[02:23:18] @amr97: Modern art includes artistic works produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s to the 1970s, and denotes the style and philosophy of the art produced during that era.
[02:23:20] @amr97: The term is usually associated with art in which the traditions of the past have been thrown aside in a spirit of experimentation.
[02:24:26] +Superbird: opinions, amr97, not definitions
[02:24:49] @amr97: oh
[02:24:52] @amr97: i don't get it
[02:24:56] @amr97: is my opinion
[02:25:04] +Superbird: oh ffs
[02:25:28] +Superbird: maybe i should give up and try a different room
[02:25:32] @amr97: probably tbh
[02:26:19] @SamVGC: i think this chatroom
[02:26:22] @SamVGC: is an art form
[02:26:26] @Dog-for-Dinner: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Opinions+on+Modern+Art
[02:26:47] +Superbird: dong-for-dinner that is not a thing to be goggled
[02:26:50] +Superbird: *dog
[02:26:51] +Superbird: *google
[02:27:02] @amr97: dong-for-dinner lmao
[02:27:07] @amr97: that had to be intentional
[02:27:18] +Superbird: 100% wasn't
[02:27:28] +Superbird: i'm so used to typing dingram's name that
[02:27:45] +Superbird: anything starting with the same first letter
[02:28:17] @Dog-for-Dinner: why is it not a thing to be googled
[02:28:23] @Dog-for-Dinner: google is the story of my high school
[02:28:33] +Superbird: you dont google opinions
[02:28:36] +Superbird: you google facts
[02:28:52] @Dog-for-Dinner: seems like a science student is trying to study humanities
[02:28:56] @Dog-for-Dinner: and is having a hard time
[02:29:00] +Superbird: ^
Old 09-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfree View Post
But that doesn't make any sense. Why would anyone make a big deal about Dark Balls if normal Pokéballs were exactly the same thing? The whole point of Dark Balls is that balls that force Pokémon to blindly obey are bad.

Further, we see a very, very clear difference between the behavior of Pokémon under actual Pokéball-induced mind-control as seen in the movie and the behavior of ordinary Pokémon who have been caught in ordinary Pokéballs. Dark Ball Celebi was stiff, soulless and blindly obedient; normal Pokémon are far from it. We see Pokémon disobeying ordinary trainers frequently, but it's always portrayed as a casual, lazy, disrespectful disobedience as opposed to the pure despair of Celebi shaking off the influence of the Dark Ball. Normal Pokéballs are not mind-control devices; this has been made quite plain.
I suppose you make a good point, but I did not mean to imply that it would be exactly like the dark ball, I used it simply because it is the clearest example there has ever been of a pokeballs effect on a pokemon.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Still loves Joltik, though!

Pronoun: she
Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree

But the whole point of the Dark Ball is that it is not an example; it's highly atypical exactly because it has that effect on the Pokémon. It's like claiming all humans have mustaches because Nietzsche had one, and then saying you mentioned him because he's the clearest example. Well, of course he is the clearest example, but that's exactly why he is not an example of normal people's mustachiness at all. The Dark Ball proves nothing about the effect that other Pokéballs have on Pokémon.

Quote:
Dark balls, in addition to mind-controlling the subject, also substantially increase the subject's power.
Sure, but that's not relevant; increasing their power was not the reason the Dark Ball was bad.

Quote:
In my opinion, Pokéballs don't force a pokémon to obey, but they do capture the pokémon. A pokémon in a Pokéball has control of its actions, but the pokéball makes it more docile and willing to obey its trainer.
See, what I don't get is why you prefer to insert some element of dubious consent into this where it's not directly indicated by canon and not necessary to make sense of it.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Lost

My apologies then for an incorrect comparison.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:01 AM
*~CoRnI~*--My Pika Grrrrl! <3

Pronoun: She
Jirachu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Jirachu Send a message via Skype™ to Jirachu

Pokemon training IS NOT mean. Pokemon like battling, and they don't get seriously hurt by it. They have bodies built to take attacks from each other and grow in power from the experiences of winning.

Pokemon bond with their trainers more and more as they win too.

It can be hard for some people to grasp i'm sure plus fights in general in real life well yeah you can get hurt in them although theres fighting sports that like pokemon people don't seem to get injered in them.

Yeah....maybe one needs to understand sports in general just a little to understand that pokemon battles are harmless.

Though I wasn't THAT exposed to sports stuff, I think i've picked up what pokemon's about well on my own with pokemon.

Maybe theres flaws in this post, i duno, but pokemon seem happy just getting stronger from facing and interacting with one another xD

I love Korrina and I don't care what anyone thinks! :P *snuggle's her* I think she's a real hottie and if you think poorly about me for having a harmless fictional crush or for simply liking another girl thats your own problem. *squeals happily^///^*