The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Pokémon > General Pokémon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 10:24 AM
The one and only.

Pronoun: He
Alxprit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Alxprit
Default Re: Least favorite Pokémon generation?

I also think generation 1 is the worst design-wise. There's just not enough... interesting Pokemon to me. I think all the other generations were pretty much all on par with each other and all had their share of awesome pokemon, with the occasional blargh (the most recent is Gothitelle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saved By The Bell
Screech: I'm drowning and nobody cares!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Lost at sea

Pronoun: they
Zapi is an unknown quantity at this point

My opinion: III > I/V > IV > II | cool pokémon > useful new stuff > region design

As much as I dislike IV, I'm gonna have to say II was my least favorite. Maybe it was because I'm not too familiar with the games, but I just don't feel like they added anything of worth to the series. Plus, for whatever reason, I strongly dislike Johto's design. Sure, there are a couple of cool Pokémon there (Lugia, Typhlosion, and the eevee-lutions are among my favorites), but other than that it was just so...meh. I didn't find Silver enjoyable at all.

Although I liked Sinnoh's region design quite a bit - mostly because of the differences in the eastern and western sides of Mt. Coronet - the only Pokémon I liked from it were Buizel, Floatzel, and maybe Giratina. It did add some important things (the physical/special change was the best thing that ever happened to the games imo), so it's not my absolute least favorite, but I still don't like it very much because of the lack of interesting Pokémon.

Gens I and V are about equal for me, I mostly like them because of the Pokémon (I do not like Unova and the original Red/Blue were quite hard to play imo, sorry, but I'm not a big fan of Gameboy/GBC games). III is my favorite overall, though I might be biased since that's the generation in which I was introduced to Pokémon.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Ansem, Seeker of Dankness

Pronoun: She
DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Gen Four just sucked.

Chimchar Piplup Turtwig- TERRIBLE starter designs.

DialgaPalkia-UGLY!

I hate most of the Pokemon designs, and it isnt even that fun to play. And the anime's fourth gen, Dont get me started.

I think Hoenn was iffy. It had a nice plot.

Gen one seems awesome, with just the simplicity.

Gen five is actually pretty cool, but some pokemon just look awful (Garborder, Klink, Gigalith)

My fave is Johto because it reminds you of a simpler time, where there were baby Pokemon of kanto Pokemon. I also think the starters and legends are awesome.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:32 AM
chah, dude

The Omskivar is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really have a least favorite. I'm just gonna say that Sinnoh had a lot of good Pokemon designs, but it didn't have enough of them. It did go a little overboard with the evolutions/prevolutions, but I feel like if it had mmore original Pokemon in the region, it would have been okay. Instead they relied on Pikachu / Clefairy / Zubat / Tentacool / Hoothott / Wurmple / Heracross / Gastly / Machop / Remoraid / Goldeen / Magikarp / Abra / Geodude / Onix / Meditite / Psyduck / Barboach / Ponyta / Wingull / Wooper / Girafarig / Marill / Unown / Feebas...and besides all that there's the rest of the evolutionary lines of the evos/prevos...that's just too much. Even in Platinum they weren't happy with that, they needed Houndour / Tropius / Swablu / Scyther / Absol...and again, plus all of the evos/prevos they needed.

Sinnoh's totally-new 3-stage lines amounted to Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Shinx, Starly, Gible, and...that's it.

Admittedly Johto only had five. But at the time that was supposed to be the generation to end all generations.

All I'm saying is that if Sinnoh had put their designing prowess into more completely new Pokemon, it would be more liked. Also if it had more than two fire-types available before the E4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omskivar
Anyway hi I'm The Omskivar

Last edited by Adriane; 08-02-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: PLEASE do not have one super-long string of characters
Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Pronoun: she
Adriane is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omskivar View Post
Even in Platinum they weren't happy with that, they needed Houndour / Tropius / Swablu / Scyther / Absol...and again, plus all of the evos/prevos they needed.
Platinum's edits were mostly due to player dissatisfaction at the availability of certain Pokémon in DP. If you didn't pick Chimchar, for instance, your only choice of Fire-type was Ponyta. The five above are all very popular, at least.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Banned

Pronoun: Any
Mai is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you not stretch the page, Omskivar? Add some spaces. :|

Anyway, I didn't like the fourth generation either. It was the first generation that I didn't liIke any of the starters. And in the third generation, I liked them all to some degree. The main legendaries just felt overpowered, and azelf, uxie and mesprit were pretty much the same pokemon. I loved the physical/special split (in fact I used to think that it was there in the previous games), but honestly I don't think that makes it much better. It probably would have been introduced in generation V if it wasn't there already. I'm beginning to warm up to some of them (shinx in particular), but even now most of them are just horrible.

I don't actually like generation I that much compared to the others. I just loved the styles of generation III pokemon, and I played them both around the same time. They just seem much more interesting. I like the less real styles (like mawile and sableye) and comparing them to a lot of things (like muk and starmie) just makes them seem less creative. Just look at rayquaza as compared to moltres!

Overall, my opinion on the generations goes mostly like this (bear in mind it's more of an opinion of the pokemon rather than the actual generations):

III/V> II> I> IV

The regions are about the same. I love Hoenn (particularly Fortree City and the Trick House) and Unova (the Ruin Castle is awesome for no real reason, and I haven't been to the dive spot yet even though I know I'd love it), and Sinnoh wasn't exciting at all. Johto and Kanto were pretty meh, but I did love the idea of National Park.

Last edited by Mai; 08-02-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 PM
pingpong wixard

Pronoun: It
Chief Zackrai is an unknown quantity at this point

Why does no one else like Garbodor :(

98% of people use Bibarel as an HM slave in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. If you are one of the 2% who want to free the poor Bibarel from slavery, copy and paste this into your signature. (It's worth a shot)
Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 PM
I really loved that farm.

Eta Carinae is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Scratch View Post
Why does no one else like Garbodor :(
I love Garbodor too :( Its shiny form is awesome, and it would be amazing for the environment as its Pokedex entry states that it absorbs garbage. It also has coattails. You can never go wrong with coattails.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM
pingpong wixard

Chief Zackrai is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah! I mean, he need a monacle and a top hat, but he's like the most gentlemanly pokemon ever!

98% of people use Bibarel as an HM slave in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. If you are one of the 2% who want to free the poor Bibarel from slavery, copy and paste this into your signature. (It's worth a shot)

Last edited by Chief Zackrai; 08-04-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 AM
chah, dude

The Omskivar is an unknown quantity at this point

I love his design. But when I tried to use him in-game he was a lie. He was awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omskivar
Anyway hi I'm The Omskivar
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
The Wobbuffet Fan

Wobbles is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Scratch View Post
yeah! I mean, he need a monacle and a top hat, but he's like the most gentlemanly pokemon ever!
I do apologize, but I politely disagree.

Now for my least favorite generation of Pokemon...

I really don't like the first Gen., if only because the games themselves are so limited compared to what I'm used to. (I started in Gen. III)
The region and Pokemon really were better, to me at least, in FRLG, instead of the original RBY.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Uh, I didn't do it.

Phantom is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom

I didn't like anything past Johto.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Bye

see ya has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to see ya

Probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but... Gen II was my least favorite, by far, for a few reasons. First off, was it just me, or were the levels for just about everything really, really low? I remember the games being far too easy, and just about everything was underleveled. The E4 was a joke, and even by the time you hit Red, you were plenty leveled to handle it thanks to the Kanto gym leaders. Not to mention the baby pokemon (useless except for SOMETIMES getting a few new moves) and a ton of non-evolvers who were, again, pretty useless, to where the 4th gen had to use up a bunch of pokemon slots just to fix some of them.
This forum has been a big part of my history. I met many friends through here. Met the love of my life here. But if this board is going to become a place where people are punished simply for talking to people the admins don't like, this is no longer the place for me, and I can't even fucking stand res. Goodbye, TCoD. See you never. Congratulations on killing your ASB league.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 AM
emotionless and cold as ice

spaekle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spaekle Send a message via Skype™ to spaekle

Garbodor is one of those Pokemon I thought was fugly bullshit when gen 5 was first revealed, but he's slowly growing on me. I think it's because the anime made Trubbish cute. I might end up using one eventually. :v

I also dislike how you're generally vastly overleveled in Johto (and then underleveled when you get to Kanto). Especially since HG/SS didn't fix that. :\ And how Kanto is useless for grinding due to the Pokemon being level 3 again. I like Johto as a region and most of the Pokemon though.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Adriane is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelektrik Barbarella View Post
I also dislike how you're generally vastly overleveled in Johto (and then underleveled when you get to Kanto). Especially since HG/SS didn't fix that. :\ And how Kanto is useless for grinding due to the Pokemon being level 3 again. I like Johto as a region and most of the Pokemon though.
I've never been overlevelled in a Johto game, ever (playing through with a pre-determined team, not skipping any trainers, with no grass grinding) but I agree that it's agonisingly difficult to level once you hit Kanto. I usually don't end up being explicitly underlevelled until Clair since she's quite the level spike from Pryce. At least in HGSS, you can store every phone number (my, how technology has evolved!) instead of a measly 10, but no EXP from Viridian's Trainer House hurt.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Egg

Pronoun: Any
Tails is an unknown quantity at this point

I only ever liked Kanto & Johto. When the other games were released, I lost all enjoyment up to the point HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black/White were released. I don't know why, they were all decent games. I just... didn't "feel" it, if you get me?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Egg

kenkendude is an unknown quantity at this point

Either the 4th or 5th.
Most of their pokemon suck.

GENERATION 32: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Hmm....

Pronoun: Him
Grey Matter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkendude View Post
Either the 4th or 5th.
Most of their pokemon suck.
On what reason do you say that? Statistically, their majorively good. Appearance-wise there are a number of impressive designs.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Back in black.

Lord of the Fireflies is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirris View Post
On what reason do you say that? Statistically, their majorively good. Appearance-wise there are a number of impressive designs.
To put it simply, Gen 5 failed to live up everybody's expectations in many, many aspects.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Tragically unbeyachted.

Dannichu is an unknown quantity at this point

IV was far and away my least favourite. It's grown on me since (I think Platinum fixed a lot that I didn't like about the game), but it's still got a lot of Pokemon I'm not too fond of, and the World just isn't as cool as Hoenn, Johto or Unova. I was so uninspired by D/P that the first time I played through, I was worried that, because I wasn't enjoying it much, that I had outgrown the games, but then HG/SS and B/W game out and completely blew me away :D