The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Pokémon > General Pokémon Discussion

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 02:49 PM
wat

Pronoun: Male
J.T. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your parents' opinion on Pokémon?

I've gotten the "you're a bit old for this" comment a few times, but overall they don't seem to care.

Currently Playing: Cave Story (for about the fifth time) and Team Fortress 2 (still).

I decided to make a blog out of boredom. If you're as bored as I was when I made it, then click here to see it.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 AM
...probably not posting here too much anymore.

FnrrfYgmSchnish has disabled reputation

My dad doesn't really care either way; the most he ever says about it is occasionally calling it "Moképon" to be silly (he does the "flip the letters around in something's name" thing a lot. Occasionally me and my sister get him to slip up with that and say something embarrassing, like one time when one of us said "Yucko Food"...)

My mom doesn't seem to care much either way about the video games or the fact that I draw Pokémon sometimes, though she'd probably complain a little if I still watched the anime (she apparently has something against people older than 18 watching cartoons of any sort. Seriously, she even complained when I was watching old episodes Batman: The Animated Series a while back... I'd understand some complaints if I wanted to watch Spongebob or whatever new crap Cartoon Network is shoveling out these days, but complaining about BATMAN? come on.)
Old 03-09-2010, 01:15 AM
beep beep coming through

Pronoun: Any
Kratos Aurion is an unknown quantity at this point

Indifference from Dad and occasional very, very mild interest from Mom (as in the occasional question along the lines of "Oh? And what does that mean?" or "So what team did you use and how does it work?" when I won JAA regionals a few years ago) as long as I don't seem to be hopelessly obsessed and they don't have to pay for anything anymore. They've apparently seen just enough of the official stuff that they think my fakemon look fairly convincing. Since I don't drive my mother will sometimes take me to store events when public transportation would be too inconvenient. They know I have a website, that I draw stuff, that I still buy the games, etc..

I think my mom is more surprised that the franchise as a whole isn't dead than she is that I still like it at 21, probably because we've actually had a conversation about how there are in fact aspects of the game (competitive play, interacting with friends, worldbuilding, blah) that can still appeal to an older demographic. She might've wondered why I was still interested for a while, but I'm pretty sure she's come to terms with the fact that I will forever be a nerd with a taste for weird monsters and so she doesn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasrap Smurf View Post
They don't mind that I play it; they bought me a Pokémon board game for Christmas. But they don't know too much about it. My dad thought that Gimli was a Pokémon.
Actual question on Who Wants to Be A Millionaire back in the early 2000's: "Which of these is not a Pokémon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Frodo?"
Old 03-09-2010, 01:31 AM
GET EQUIPPED WITH

glitchedgamer is an unknown quantity at this point

I play a lot a video games, and Pokemon happens to be one of them. That's how they see it.

Currently Playing: Dragon Warrior (NES), Skyrim (360), Double Dragon (NES)
Old 03-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Tragically unbeyachted.

Pronoun: She
Dannichu is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
Actual question on Who Wants to Be A Millionaire back in the early 2000's: "Which of these is not a Pokémon: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Frodo?"
Amaaaaazing XDD

Amusing fact (based entirely on my own experience) - the older you get (from about sixteen onwards), the cooler you become for playing Pokemon.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 AM
bye

Pronoun: she
Autumn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannichu View Post
Amusing fact (based entirely on my own experience) - the older you get (from about sixteen onwards), the cooler you become for playing Pokemon.
So true. The eighteen-year-olds at my high school are into it enough that they're going to be playing HGSS <3
Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Yarn is comfy and easy to wear

Yarnchu is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, let's see.

Mom: She doesn't really care. I think to her, it's just another game. She might joke about it occasionally but that's it.

Dad: Well, he will tease my brother and I about it. He always says we're old for "Pokeeemon" when we are going to like buy a game or do an event or something. However, when I ask him to do something for me related to Pokemon(like drive me to Gamestop for the Pichu event or getting the batteries in my Silver and Crystal replaced), he'll do it.

I think a major part in them not really caring is, well, since the 6th grade I had to focus my obsession online because I worry about my image in school too much. Add in the fact that the games have started to bore me(outside of the first two Gens, as long as I have a SP and the batteries still work in the games I'll play them) and that most of my obsession is directed at the fan part of it(spriting, fan art, fakemon, applying knowledge to something where there's a lack of it, etc.), I don't really come across as a obsessed fan to them. I think they're more worried about the amount of time I spend on the computer that's in part due to this obsession than the obsession itself.

However, I do tend to annoy them by randomly humming songs from the games whenever I'm at home. I seriously do this all of the time. If its not a Pokemon song, then its Kirby. If its not a Kirby or Pokemon song, I'm singing This is Halloween.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Butterfree

Pronoun: He
Harlequin is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand the twelve year olds whose parents don't like them liking pokémon. At twelve years old pokémon was the height of cool! I can kind of understand adults' parents being a bit "uh..." but twelve year olds!?

My likes and dislikes generally aren't on my parents' radar... they don't really know what I get up to in my spare time unless I tell them.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 PM
PoPiPo~

Pronoun: Female
Mew Cookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mew Cookie

Well, my parents don't really care that much, but my mum thought I was gonna outgrow it. We had this conversation about three or so years ago, when the DS was first released.

Me: Mum, can I get a DS for my birthday? All the new Pokemon games will come out on it.
Mum: You'll be out of it in a year anyways. You want it, you can buy it yourself.

Nowadays she doesn't seem to mind as much. In fact, she thinks my Piplup plushie is adorable. Plus, she let me pre-order Platinum. I guess she's come to terms with things, so...I'm lucky?

I try to avoid discussing it with my dad, since he'd probably mock me a little.

Let's all sing a rainbow melody~

Last edited by Mew Cookie; 03-09-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Willst du?

Pronoun: he
Chopsuey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I don't understand the twelve year olds whose parents don't like them liking pokémon. At twelve years old pokémon was the height of cool! I can kind of understand adults' parents being a bit "uh..." but twelve year olds!?

My likes and dislikes generally aren't on my parents' radar... they don't really know what I get up to in my spare time unless I tell them.
Yes, I don't understand why my/all of the other twelve year olds' parents don't like us liking Pokémon either! I just haven't mentioned it in over a year-and-a-half so... They more or less don't know? I just do everything behind their backs which also helps conceal my obsession.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Cloud eight-and-three-fifths

Pronoun: She
Flazeah is an unknown quantity at this point

Meh, my mum's not exactly open-minded about it, but I'm hoping that'll change at some point in the future. I mean, she accepts that I buy the games, but she doesn't really get why I like Pokémon. My dad cares a bit less than she does, I think; not sure he knows much about Pokémon at all, but hey.

Last edited by Flazeah; 03-15-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

Aura Cobalt is an unknown quantity at this point

They don't care, but I think that's only because I am a slowly dying fan of it. They have never really cared other than when I first got into it and my dad was scared it was evil -_-. They even took me to the JAA event in '06.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:25 PM
your blood flows through my veins

Pronoun: He
Vladimir Putin's LJ is an unknown quantity at this point

My grandmother named her cat Pikachu B/

My parents don't care :0
Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Also known as Hyozanryu

Pronoun: they
Flygon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

They quietly tolerate my various rants (Why won't Amity Square let in my Glaceon?! It's cute too!) and the hours I spend playing the games, and drive me to events. My mom has Pearl, but rarely plays it. Also, my dad buys me Pokemon-related merchandise at the Pokemon Center Tokyo when he's in Japan. I guess I'm pretty lucky.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Willst du?

Pronoun: he
Chopsuey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
They quietly tolerate my various rants (Why won't Amity Square let in my Glaceon?! It's cute too!)
XD Why won't they let in my Aggron? Isn't it cute?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 AM
The apologetic dreamer

Pronoun: Female
Ymedron is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, my parents don't care either. Dad doesn't even know it, and while mom does know about it, I have to describe my groudon and kyogre toys as 'That red dinosaur and the blue whale' or she would get confused. (Though she did remember Groudon after I showed a drawing of it to her)

Mom was actually the person who bought red, blue, yellow and crystal for us.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Bye

Pronoun: she
see ya has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to see ya

My dad will occasionally tease me when I'm playing online. He'll joke that I'm an adult lording over a bunch of kids in the game, but he's a kidder like that. In reality, he's perfectly okay with it as long as I keep up with work and school. He even has a few favorite pokemon (He likes Chikorita and Gengar, IIRC)
This forum has been a big part of my history. I met many friends through here. Met the love of my life here. But if this board is going to become a place where people are punished simply for talking to people the admins don't like, this is no longer the place for me, and I can't even fucking stand res. Goodbye, TCoD. See you never. Congratulations on killing your ASB league.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Devourer of Sandshrews

Pronoun: The Flygon
Kali the Flygon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kali the Flygon Send a message via Skype™ to Kali the Flygon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
"You are NINETEEN years old, what are you still doing playing with Pokeyman?"

My brother's 22, he gets it worse than I do.
*feels old again, though what should I really expect?*

My parents don't really care anymore. I have my own car, my own money, and my own computer, so they just trust me to make my own decisions as to hobbies. As long as I'm working on my Ph.D, which I hope to finish sometime this year, they don't really mind what else I do.

My dad's clueless about Pokémon, or video games in general. He used to call it "Kokeyman" or whatever. My mom has a little more knowledge, and sometimes likes to play games like 'Spyro the Dragon', and knows pretty well that I like Flygon in particular, but she still doesn't understand Pokémon.

Now if only they'd let me buy a snake... *grumbles* I have to leave home sometime, I guess.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:50 PM
is as graceful as an eagle without wings.

Dragonclaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Dragonclaw

How much will it cost? ____ Okay. *gets back to whatever, usually driving home*
Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Fesh Pince of Blair

Professor Wesker is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been told by my parents many times that I'm to old for Pokémon. To bad I don't give a crap :)

I've been writing fanfiction if anyone cares to read it.https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4816427/TheSlimyOne

Last edited by Professor Wesker; 04-19-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Made a small typo.