• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The world's most influential person is...

Marble-Cake.jpg

pretty awesome, actually
Looks like someone took a crap in a bread maker.. I hope it tastes good... =x

but why "marblecake" and not "motherfucker" or something more vulgar? is it referencing a meme that I'm not familiar with?"

I think they are/were one of the big sub-groups within the Anonymous who are protesting Scientology. Their name came up when I was reading an anti-Scientology board; apparently some Anonymous thought marblecake were trying to be the "leaders" of Anonymous and as we all know Anonymous is leaderless etc

Now, fairly and objectively, I'd say moot didn't deserve to win. 4chan's influence extends to the geeky fanbases of the internet and that's it. It's very rare and weird for someone in real life to reiterate a 4chan meme, and every person I know that has said a 4chan meme out loud knew beforehand that it was from 4chan. Compare this to movie quotes that get used in everyday life ( and of course, movies) without most people knowing where they come from.

Actually, 4chan has done quite a bit to gain attention from people outside of the internet; what about when they found Sarah Palin's email password, or Project Chanology, or Fox News talking about them?

And tons of kids at my school say "you lost the game" or "epic win/fail" a lot.

Actually, 4chan has done quite a bit to gain attention from people outside of the internet; what about when they found Sarah Palin's email password, or Project Chanology, or Fox News talking about them?

They've occasionally done some things, but they are not instantly recognizable by normal people who don't lurl around the internet. The most notable thing that you've listed here, I think, is the Scientology thing.

Sarah Palin's email hacking was not done by 4chan; it was done by some senator's son who posted the e-mail password on 4chan.

Either way, 4chan is, by far, not the most influential group in the world, nor is moot the most influential person. Not even hackers in general are the most influential group in the world.

And tons of kids at my school say "you lost the game" or "epic win/fail" a lot.

So do a lot of the people at my school, and it is extremely annoying. However, let me tell you that most of the people who say this are very frequent users of the internet and quite genre-savvy; the average kid in my school doesn't know what "the game" is and would likely be confused if someone told them they failed epically.

"The game" predates 4chan.
But isnt it where it became more wildly known? I dunno. I have never went to 4chan.

Peh...I wish someone better could have gotten 1st. But who, I don't know.

Meh, I don't care what other people think or hacked really though. I don't really read Time so.

i dunno mean 4chan has done it's glory and all

but it, or it's owner, doesn't really deserve to be listed as the world's most influential person

most of the people who say this are very frequent users of the internet and quite genre-savvy
WHAT your school exists in a fictional work? and all the kids at your school are at least vaguely aware of this and know not to make the cliche mistakes that other movie heroes often make? well that is certainly cool!

WHAT your school exists in a fictional work? and all the kids at your school are at least vaguely aware of this and know not to make the cliche mistakes that other movie heroes often make? well that is certainly cool!

Haven't you ever heard of the infamous genre '..'s school'? I mean, come on, it's only the best type of fiction there is.

Can I have them?^^

I'm sure I'm the ONLY one at my school who knows about "the game" and "fail/win" and memes and YTP and whatever.
you must live under a rock because EVERYONE I know says fail/win, from the loser kids no one hangs out with, all the way to the preppiest douchebags. the game has a slightly smaller audience (mostly with the preppy douchebags, which is admittedly a very harsh term for the kids I tend to hang out with), but lots of people still know it.

everyone knows about rickroll too, but not, for example "i herd u liek mudkips".

no it just made everyone use 'epic' everygoddamnwhere in wrong contexts and/or applying it to everything and i now hate the word with the intensity of an exploding sun
kind of the same goes for 'fail' and 'win'

What about the Epics from classical literature? Do you hate those too?

Also, words and langauges are fluid, they change with time and usage. Words take on new meanings and lose old ones. Anyone who thinks language is static is just stubborn.

What about the Epics from classical literature? Do you hate those too?

No, because that would be the correct definition of epic.

Personally though I have no real problem with the usage of epic, win, fail, etc. in the mainstream. It was bound to happen eventually, I just wish the I'm-from-the-internet crowd would shut up and realize that "their word" wasn't really theirs to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom