• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Religion

Which of these best fits you?

• Theist

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • Atheist

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters
I was sure I'd replied to this thread and noted my beliefs, leaving me open to ridicule and mocking from the theistic part of the community. I'm an atheist. I believe nothing, though there is that little lingering background thought that it would be nice to be wrong.

One day, I might try buddhism, but at the moment my heart simply isn't in it.

Edit: I found the thread I was thinking of, and the post too. It was in a completely different part of the forum.

Silly me.

Last edited:
The theistic part of the community isn't into mocking people. Love 'n' tolerance, yo!

You aren't 'born' a religion. Religion isn't like being black or something, you can choose it.
You can be born into a religious family, but that doesn't make you religious by default.

^ Well, you kinda can. Hence ethnoreligious groups, like Jews. One can be considered by oneself and others to be a Jew, but not nessesarily practice Judaism.

I thought Jews were a race of people and a religion and that most Jewish people practiced Judaism but not necessarily.
Either way Catholicism isn't anything like that.

Apparently (and I don't know much about this, so I'm only going on what wiki says, so it could all be vicious liiiies), Irish Catholic is considered by some to be an ethnicity, although from what I can tell, you kinda have to practice Catholicism to fit the bill. I dunno.

Plus, Catholics tend to baptise their kids very early, and given that baptism "is the ritual act by which one is admitted as a full member of the Christian Church and, in the view of some, as a member of the particular Church in which the baptism is administered", it's not too far off to say "born a Catholic", because, as a newborn, you're not being given a lot of choice in the matter.

I was born into a Catholic family as well, as my parents are both baptised catholics, yet I wasn't. Catholicism is decided by the baptism. Judaism is decided by heritage (if your mother is a Jew, so are you).

Back
Top Bottom