• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Quick Calculus Question

Superbird

Fire emblem is great
For example, ∑((n * x^n) / n^2), n=1 to infinity. I need to find the radius of convergence for x, and the bounds of that convergence.

I can use ratio test to figure out the answer to this problem:
= ((n+1) * x^(n+1) * n^2) / ((n+1)^2 * x^n * n)
= x * n/(n+1).
—> |x * n/n+1| < 1
—> -1 < x < 1

Thus the radius of convergence is 1, and the bounds are (-1,1).

...or are they. This is what I have trouble with -- do I use square brackets or round brackets, and how do I figure out which for each bound? I know it has something to do with figuring out whether the series converges for each bound of x, but does that necessarily mean I have to go through the trouble of figuring that out? For instance, would I now have to evaluate
∑((n * (-1)^n) / n^2) and ∑((n * 1^n) / n^2)
again?

(ok, I know it's a bad example but it's an example of the problem I want to solve.) I know that the first of those, with x = -1, is convergent because of the alternating series test, whereas the second, with x = 1, is divergent because p-series. So the bounds would be [-1,1). But do I have to go through that much effort with every single problem, or is there an easier way?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's much effort. There's only two bounds to check after all.
(It's much harder in complex analysis when there are infinitely many numbers lying on the boundary)

But no I can't think of faster ways to do it, I'm afraid. I may be wrong though. My advice would be to assume that it's round brackets until proven otherwise, since it's definitely true that it converges within those bounds.

Back
Top Bottom