The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Non-Pokémon > Miscellaneous Discussion

Notices

Old 05-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Sentient Stationary

Pronoun: any
BOOM! Headshot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dolphins save suicidal girl.

Read the full article here.

I read things like this, and I wonder exactly why no studies have been organised to investigate this type of phenomena. Stories have been circulating for centuries about dolphins rescuing people out to sea, and they are always anecdotal.

This one is no exception; at the bottom is a disclaimer stating that the article was adapted from a separately published work.

Are these stories true? Are they just stories? Is this all part of a great Dolphin Masterplan? What's in it for the dolphins, and if it is true, why do they wait until someone is near death before they intervene?

It's not a debate. I just saw something that piqued my interest, and I thought I would share it.

PM me if you add me.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Beauty, brawn and Frontier Brains.

M&F has disabled reputation
Default Re: Dolphins save suicidal girl.

It may or may not have something to do with the fact that dolphins have been known, includingly by science, to experience attraction to human beings sometimes. There have even been cases of dolphins who became attracted to swimmers and then started perceiving other swimmers as competition and attacking them.

#cometobabahl
(click colias -- you know you want to -- for asb profile)
Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Sentient Stationary

Pronoun: any
BOOM! Headshot is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure that's a factor. If a dolphin saw other swimmers as competition here, surely it'd be attacking the other dolphins nearby. Besides, the story implies that they had to swim quite a way to get to her, if the researchers had to increase speed 'to keep up'.

It also implies that they know that boats are artificial things and the people on there are the same as the ones in the water sometimes.

PM me if you add me.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:35 AM
Fire emblem is great

Pronoun: He
Superbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Superbird

Perhaps dolphins realize that humans are mammals too, just like them, and thus they feel some sort of kinship, which would encourage them to help us as they would help one of their own?

I'm really looking forward to the day when we decode dolphin communication and figure out how they think and how smart they really are.

If I'm reffing your ASB battle, you can find my reffing scale in this document. Mostly it involves details on stat modifications and status conditions, as well as my interpretation of the damage formula, other clarifications regarding the specifics of certain attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokémon Showdown VGC
[23:53:13] +0riginalTrainer: This is a direct result of the patriarchy.
[23:53:51] +J.D.Deuce: feminism is awesome
[23:53:52] +Viscereal: uh please address me by my pronouns
[23:53:59] +Viscereal: loom/looms/loomself
[23:54:35] +0riginalTrainer: You white male cis scum, check you privilege. No matter how many documents you throw in front of me, the wage gap is real.
[23:54:58] +J.D.Deuce: you've been warned lol
[23:55:14] +B1SHARP: So you believe that fathers deserve the same leave after they have an at home newborn as mothers?
[23:55:40] +0riginalTrainer: So you believe that women should be drafted too?
[23:55:45] +B1SHARP: Yes
[23:55:45] +Viscereal: yes, when they have a baby shove itself through their dick they can get work off
[23:55:47] +Takron Galtos: I'd settle just for at-home leave actually be guarunteed without penalties for mothers.
[23:55:51] +Superbird: you know what we need right now
[23:55:53] +Takron Galtos: That's not even standard yet.
[23:56:00] +0riginalTrainer: What I hate about feminism is that it turns a lot of male issues into female issues, then calls it feminism.
[23:56:02] +Viscereal: challenge cup round robin?
[23:56:03] +Superbird: a tourney to distract everyone from controvertial discussion
[23:56:03] @amr97: another tournament
[23:56:06] @amr97: hurry hurry
[23:56:08] +Superbird: NAILED IT
[23:56:11] +KillerOrcas: woah there what happened here
Battle Spot Doubles (VGC 2015) Single Elimination Tournament created.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Beauty, brawn and Frontier Brains.

M&F has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOM! Headshot View Post
I'm not sure that's a factor. If a dolphin saw other swimmers as competition here, surely it'd be attacking the other dolphins nearby. Besides, the story implies that they had to swim quite a way to get to her, if the researchers had to increase speed 'to keep up'.

It also implies that they know that boats are artificial things and the people on there are the same as the ones in the water sometimes.
That wasn't to say that exact same scenario plays out in every single human-dolphin interaction, it was just an example of the extent to which it can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbird View Post
Perhaps dolphins realize that humans are mammals too, just like them, and thus they feel some sort of kinship, which would encourage them to help us as they would help one of their own?

I'm really looking forward to the day when we decode dolphin communication and figure out how they think and how smart they really are.
"Fellow mammals" might be a little bit of a stretch, but, well, I'm not sure if that was a dolphin or a different cetacean, but one of those has been shown to use different sounds towards its own kind and human beings. And the real kicker is that the former sounds are outside the range of sounds we can hear, but the latter aren't, so it implies that dolphins (or whatever was the cetacean I was reading about) are aware of the fact that our hearing range differs from theirs, and also that they try to communicate with us.

#cometobabahl
(click colias -- you know you want to -- for asb profile)