• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers: Reborn

ignore_this_acct

Pronoun
she

Welcome to the land of Obsessive Scribblers!

General
I remember Obsessive Scribblers used to be pretty big about a year ago, so I decided to revive the thread.

Anyway, this thread can be described as a general art club/thread where people show their artwork, and others comment on it.
If you are active in posting artwork, it is highly recommended that you also critique other people's artwork to keep things interesting

Rules
1. Common Sense.
2. If you post a picture that stretches the page horizontally, only post a link to the picture
3. If your artwork consists of extreme violence, nudity, or any other things deemed highly inappropriate, link back to it instead
4. Try not to post 500 pictures in one post. Use common sense as to how many you can cram into one post
5. [cliche]Have Fun![/cliche]

Drawing Resources
The Drawing Script
Manga to realistic tutorial
Firgure & Gesture Drawing Tool

Last edited:
*rises from the ashes of the old OS*

I believe that most of the old members of the OS aren't on TCoD anymore, and the ones who are still here aren't very active....

But! Let's see if this club will take off again! Yeah!

I'll just go back to lurking now.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! So glad this had been revived!

Was that too many thank you's?

I just went through another stage of slightly changing the way I draw eyes, but I haven't had time to upload anything. But when I do I'll be fussing over it. And the fact that I always draw mitten-hands unless I actually have to draw hands normally.

@ Ice the Frosty Cat: The Snail Villain is awesome in so many ways.

:D! Join! I also offer critique to anyone who requests it; just note that if you request it, tell me how harsh you want me to be.

And I'll just post one pic because I'm unusually proud of it. Cas and Dean from spn. It's so rare for me to be pleased with my humans, so... yeah. |D

Aw hell yea, a topic that encourages constructive criticism. jaskladsfnksdjfk this is amazing like. Sign me up. You better watch out though, because I'll crit everything I see! But don't worry, I'll try to make it fair and even give suggestions.

this is the stuff I do.

Also, Pathos, gotta say I love your colouring technique! It's really soft and gentle. The only thing I really don't like is the eyes because they remind me of that line of porcelain dolls... that used to really scare me ._. But your eyes aren't really creepy, I think that you might want to shift your eye style ever so slightly so that it doesn't look like them.

I just get a server error, and when I click, "Try Again" it just sends me to my Gmail. Try uploading it somewhere else, maybe?

Aw hell yea, a topic that encourages constructive criticism. jaskladsfnksdjfk this is amazing like. Sign me up. You better watch out though, because I'll crit everything I see! But don't worry, I'll try to make it fair and even give suggestions.

this is the stuff I do.

Also, Pathos, gotta say I love your colouring technique! It's really soft and gentle. The only thing I really don't like is the eyes because they remind me of that line of porcelain dolls... that used to really scare me ._. But your eyes aren't really creepy, I think that you might want to shift your eye style ever so slightly so that it doesn't look like them.

Ahhh! You are right! But I have such difficulty with humans/eyes and chibis and arhg! I can't ; ; ahg. I think this is better? Ehhh??

@ Coloursfall, I love your dragons/twirlystuff, so I has no critique on that... but I do have a redline for the corgi. here. Just the balance is off and yeah.

@ Coloursfall, I love your dragons/twirlystuff, so I has no critique on that... but I do have a redline for the corgi. here. Just the balance is off and yeah.

Ah yes thank you! I've never been very good at canines so any help is very much loved. I think I still have the psd for this so I may be able to fix this piece, if not, noted for future reference.

Not a bad start, but you could use a lot of improvement (am I being too blunt saying this ._.?).
You're trying to learn to draw from manga, which is pretty normal and it's hardly something to be ashamed of, but you should stop.
I'm not saying never draw that kind of style again, and if it's what you like drawing, you should definitely get back to it, but if you keep going, the eastern influences will get ingrained in how you draw and you'll find it really difficult to draw anything else. That's what I did, but I'm trying to learn to break away from it.

This is probably really obvious advice, and it sounds really boring and all, but it's true. Draw from life. Find photos on the internet (and not studio edited ones. Natural photos) and draw realistically. Find some models on DA or a similar website (I imagine there's plenty of SFW models if you don't want to be looking at NSFW, although I would recommend the latter) and practice sketching the form. This is a pretty useful website for drawing exercises because it'll randomly select an image under the categories you select and let you select how long you have to sketch it before it moves onto the next one. NSFW warning however, although there's nothing questionable on the homepage.
Er, also, I recommend this tutorial series for anyone learning to draw manga. The sooner you learn, the better, and the quicker you can get back to drawing manga :P

Yeah, I'm not lecturing you or anything, and heck, this advice isn't necessarily aimed at you in particular. I thought it'd be useful to have this sort of advice on the first page, where anyone interested in the club is likely to see it. I'm far from a great artist myself and I'm working on learning to draw without manga influences myself, so I wish I'd had people to beat this into me back when I'd only just started, ehehe.

I will join. I don't know how much art I'll post, but I will try to critique/comment. I'll probably end up posting my best pieces here and everything else will be in my art thread. /shamelessadvertising

Last edited:
Yoo gaiz iz so artzy

Wai can't I be artzy

Well I mean I can draw but not with computer graphics like the ones above. I can do this:

a44pp0.jpg

I suck at coloring. It was originally all pencil on lined paper and shaded with a pencil. My mom turned it blue with magic and for once something she did looked cool so~

Time to comment on everything because doing homework is overrated 8D

I hope this doesn't turn into yet another "everyone posts art, nobody comments"...

HOW TO LEARN HOW TO DRAW/GET BETTER AT DRAWING​
An easy guide by Crazy Linoone

1. Find a picture you like.
2. Stare at it.
3. Stare at it some more.
4. Stare at it long and hard.
5. Attempt to emulate (not trace!) what you find good about the picture
6. Repeat from step 1​

Seriously. Get a reference and start from there.

Also, the amount of time and effort you put into a piece of art has strong positive correlation with the quality of the output art. If you spend 10 minutes on something, it most likely looks like crap. I usually spend at least 30 minutes on my pencil sketches and they aren't even that good, so this should give you a baseline on how long you should take...

Also, draw bigger! Seriously. It allows you to put in tons more detail than otherwise, and details = good (usually). And then you can always resize the picture later to make all the mistakes go away.

As for the manga-style thing... The thing is that I've been stuck in a stylistic limbo for years. Yes, I tend to be more on the manga side, but that's because I try to draw in manga-style. If I don't try, my style tends to implode and go all over the place. It's not stylistic enough to be called cartoon, but it's not manga enough to be called manga. I (would like to think that I) can draw realism, too, but just don't expect me to shade it because it's too much effort, guh. So the point of this antidote is that sometimes you don't get locked into manga style, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

And now for the actual comments (super duper blunt because I'm too lazy to sugarcoat them):

@Spunky the raichu: I'll comment on it once it looks like you put in more effort into drawing this. I'm sorry, but it really looks like you drew these in 10 minutes.

@Ice: Whoaaaaaa improvement! So much improvement! That Ren drawing is awesome. The only thing I would suggest changing is making the ground close to the front have a bit more focus, so it doesn't look like she's hovering or just weird. You have the same problem with your other art, really: your backgroudns tend to be a lot more out of focus than the characters. This works unless the background is at the same place in space as the characters (such as the ground), then it just looks weird. Guh I'm horrible at explaining things somebody help. Also, watch your faces; your body anatomy has improved to the point where I can't complain anymore (maybe besides the lazyblobbyhands, but that's just laziness), but Butterfly Girl's face is a bit wonky.

@Bayleafqueen: Eyebrows. Where are they. Also, I see that you're falling into the basic anime trap (aka the reason dA is filled with so much crappy art): you're not putting enough detail into things. You're looking at the "popular", usually low quality anime such as Pokemon and Yugioh (or even other people's art) as your reference. Stop immediately and look for higher quality refs, because it'll make your art look better really fast. In fact, don't use anime as refs because they are (generally speaking) of lower quality than manga art. Stuff like Death Note and D. Gray-Man are examples of manga with detailed art. General tips: don't use harsh straight lines for manga-style drawings; use thin, flowey lines if that makes any sense whatsoever. For example, hair is (usually) not a series of spikes; it has layers, and it's soft and it moves. Try to find ref picture and emulate it (see art guide above).

@Pathos: aadsfaklsdfj so sugary and cute. Lovely coloring; it's very soft and shows the folds in the clothes very well. That wing is beautiful, too. The green-eyed guy's hair is bothering me a bit though: I don't think sideburns should be have hair flowing into it like that? Also, about the eyes... Uh, maybe try giving them a bit more eyewhite or something. I think their problem is that they look like they're popping out too much (hence the doll-like look), but I'm not sure how to fix that....

@Coloursfall: Your stylized art things are great! Uh not sure what to comment here because it's hard to comment on stylized stuff. Perhaps you should try using thinner lines when outlining the more detailed bits (the girl with the bow, the zombieperson) so it doesn't look as messy?

@Everglider: Can you stick that image in a link? It's kinda big and making my screen sad. Actual critique: work on your anatomy. The horse is blobby but horses are not supposed to be blobby; they have joints and muscles and stuff. Try to look at refs and tutorials when you draw, and sketch outlines (like the circley things for where the head, bodies, legs go). They really help.

@The Omskivar: This image was originally really small, isn't it? By really small, I mean "smaller than half a page before you scanned it". If so, try to draw bigger next time because pencils are kinda thick and hard to use well (unless you're drawing stylized things). Also, the mouse-thing's hindlegs are kinda off; the hind leg on our right should be more to our right. If you draw a skeleton for reference, it should become hard to see (right now, the leg is coming out of its butt). The concept is great though!

And now, shameless advertising. Something about this picture is really, really, really bothering me, and I can't figure out what it is. I think it's because the (fore)head isn't big enough, but comments would be appreciated.

@The Omskivar: This image was originally really small, isn't it? By really small, I mean "smaller than half a page before you scanned it". If so, try to draw bigger next time because pencils are kinda thick and hard to use well (unless you're drawing stylized things). Also, the mouse-thing's hindlegs are kinda off; the hind leg on our right should be more to our right. If you draw a skeleton for reference, it should become hard to see (right now, the leg is coming out of its butt). The concept is great though!

It was indeed under half a page; most of my doodles are, I usually don't do large-scale stuff because I don't like to work hard at anything apparently. Anyway, small note, It's hard to see with the shading, but the leg is definitely not coming out of its butt. You can kind of see where the leg meeting the body makes a concave corner; you'll notice that the light-shaded lower leg stems from somewhere within the darker rump. Though now I look at it the difference in size between the hind feet bothers me.

Also it's a guinea pig

Back
Top Bottom