• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nintendo announces Nintendo 2DS

Now that this one is coming oyt to upgrade to 3D will only cost $40.00 VS $90.00 if you have the $80.00 DSL. If younhave a DSi it is $40.00 to upgrade as well. The downside is the 2DS does not close so if dropped on the screen side they can easily be broken and it is not versitile so you can easily store it because of no hinges either XD.:)
Also if you guys are worried about the 3D then put a strong piece of duck tape over the switch XD.:)

The downside is the 2DS does not close so if dropped on the screen side they can easily be broken and it is not versitile so you can easily store it because of no hinges either XD.:)

They're coming out with a pouch for it for storage!

The downside is the 2DS does not close so if dropped on the screen side they can easily be broken and it is not versitile so you can easily store it because of no hinges either XD.:)

Actually, since it doesn't have hinges, that makes the 2DS more durable than the 3DS. Hinges get very loose (the ones on my 3DS are starting to become loose, at least) and if you hit the top accidentally with something like a wall or table that can do some damage.

I don't have those problems either XD. The most I have done which did not hurt the system at all is drop it on our living-room rug but nothing like hitting it on a wall or loose hinges. The thing to do is put your system on your lap and slowly open it like your laptop. That is how you are supposed to open or close the system. If you do it fast alot your hinges will come loose XD.:)

Last edited:
The thing to do is put your system on your lap and slowly open it like your laptop. That is how you are supposed to open or close the system. If you do it fast alot your hinges will come loose XD.:)

The thing about this is that younger kids are likely not to do that, which is (presumably) why the 2DS is designed so that it doesn't open/close.

I don't have those problems either XD. The most I have done which did not hurt the system at all is drop it on our livingroom rug but nthing like hitting it on a wall or loose hinges. The thing to do is put your system on your lap and slowly open it like your laptop. That is how you are supposed to open or close the system. If you do it fast alot your hinges will come loose XD.:)

...on my lap? Really? It's smaller than one thigh!

Though what I can say is that the 3DS is much more durable than the DS Lite. So far it's been dropped several times on hard floors and has not even had a slight dent or any sort of breakage or anything, and its hinges are working fine for me.

Though really, in regards to the 2DS, I think it's a good marketing decision that no one really has any reason to complain about. If you already have a 3DS, ignore it. If you don't, then there it is at only $130. And plus, it comes with a case made for its size.

Oh you probably don't have the 3DS XL like I do. Those are actually better than the original 3DS. the 2DS has a flaw. If dropped on the screen side the screens can crack and that I know does not take much. On my DSL it landed on the plug once broke the hinge and made a very small scrach and I thought that was a water drop so I wiped it and the crystal bled underneath and took about a month to get rid of the black color. I had to wipe it carefully for days and it slowly disappeared XD.:)

the 2DS has a flaw. If dropped on the screen side the screens can crack and that I know does not take much.

Well, that can be said of anything with a screen. Discounting it just because the screen can break is kinda like saying "televisions are not good because if they fall on the screen they can break."

(To be honest though, I dropped my GBA flat on its face hella often and it didn't break. The buttons might keep it from damaging the screen(s)? Plus since it's designed for kids they'd probably make it hella sturdy)

(Unrelatedly mentioning TVs made me think of the "a tv is a tree" argument which is weird because a) that was before my time and b) it's not the same argument at all. at least i'd hope)

What I was saying is there is no way to protect the screens like with the 3DS. The 3DS XL is a lot more durable than the plain 3DS and the hinges are well made on the XL. They are way better than the DSL hinges by a long shot XD. They are solid all the way across so it is one big solid hinge XD.:)

I dunno I doubt they're gonna be making a handheld console aimed at children with fragile screens (and apparently it feels quite solidly built, too). I mean, most of us survived as GBAs or GBCs for a long time, didn't we? Nintendo are specifically aiming for a younger audience (this is an entry-level console), so I think it's a bit silly to expect the 2DS to be fragile just because it doesn't close. What I meant earlier about protecting the screen is that it's probably gonna get dirty, not that it's particularly fragile.

nintendium!!!!!!

i have two gbasps and one of them is in pretty good condition because it /was/ my sister's and she almost never played, the other one was mine and it doesn't charge well but it's pretty damn sturdy
and i probably threw it at the wall a lllot of times

My GBC and GBAs are as old as dirt and dropped in many a school hallway. The only thing wrong with them is a sticky A button one the GBC.

I have no doubts that the 2DS is made of solid Nintendium.

What I was saying is there is no way to protect the screens like with the 3DS.

Well uh

To be honest though, I dropped my GBA flat on its face hella often and it didn't break. The buttons might keep it from damaging the screen(s)? Plus since it's designed for kids they'd probably make it hella sturdy)

okay while it was kinda vague what i was GETTING at is that other Nintendo consoles with exposed screens held up pretty well! Maybe it's the buttons keeping it from dying and maybe it's the general sturdiness of the console

either way one of the only ways I can think of to break the screen is to drop something directly onto it and that's pretty difficult to do.

At first I thought "Nintendo, what the fuck are you doing with your life" and then I got to thinking. It seems cheaper (not as cheap as a secondhand, but whatever) and I couldn't get the 3D to work properly when I played one of those demo things. It has a small chance of bringing in some profit.

At first I thought "Nintendo, what the fuck are you doing with your life" and then I got to thinking. It seems cheaper (not as cheap as a secondhand, but whatever) and I couldn't get the 3D to work properly when I played one of those demo things. It has a small chance of bringing in some profit.

It's designed for the little kids who want to play video games but who shouldn't use 3d and have a high chance of breaking the hinges of a 3ds and/or who have parents that don't want to shell out $170

i'd say it has a decent chance of getting a profit!

I couldn't get the 3D to work properly when I played one of those demo things.

Yeah this is another reason why I never looked upon the 3DS very well. I didn't want to spend money on the hardware that could do 3D when I could barely see the difference anyway.

Which is a shame considering out of all of the 3D gimmicks companies are trying to push on us, the 3DS is the only one I could possibly see looking good on paper since generally only one person would be using it at once so you can optimise it for that and get rid of the glasses and all that rubbish.

I dunno, I think the fair amount of children who want Pokemon XY/new Zelda Game/Smash Bros. etc but don't have a 3DS probably justifies the 2DS' existence well enough.

the affordability has a whole lot more than just a small chance to bring profit it

plus, even without small children getting them, there's also the collectors that buy these things just for the sake of having them and keeping them for display or what have you

(also think of the casual gamers!)

Back
Top Bottom