• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Are natures that important in-game?

I ask because I'm quite worried about my Leavanny... It's got a -Speed +Sp.Def nature, which obviously hinders it because Leavanny has good speed. On the other hand, I've got an Adamant Carracosta, which is great.

But I can't help but wonder if they're really that important for in-game. I've used Pokémon with bad natures before and it didn't affect me too much, although others might have a different opinion.

So, what are your thoughts?

Hey, thanks for the quick answers! You made me happy, I didn't want to replace my Leavanny since IMO the RPG aspect of Pokémon is important and I kind of use the same Pokémon I caught at the beginning right until the end.

They're important, yeah, but only really so far as you don't want a nature that's incredibly awful. Like, I wouldn't ever bother using a modest conkeldurr even in-game. But a -speed nature is very rarely going to actually be an issue. Your leavanny's definitely fine.

Your Pokémon being awful does not mean the AI cheats. The AI definitely did cheat in Crystal, though.

I personally would not use a -Speed or -Attack Leavanny ingame.

So what does the AI do? do all the pokemon have max IV's or something? I don't know if it matters to me, though: My Cottonee has Prankster and Leech Seed.

In the Battle Frontier, Tower, Subway, or whatever post-game pseudo-competitive battling place there is, the AI gets really lucky, while you get not lucky. It's never been confirmed to my knowledge whether or not the AI actually cheats, but it's possible.

It destroys everything that isn't Grass type. Therefore, it bypasses cheating AI.

I don't think you quite understand what we mean by 'cheating AI'... or how Leech Seed isn't enough to win in places like the Subway...

Yeah, Whimsicott is exceedingly frail and not particularly hurtful — you're going to need a lot more than Leech Seed to win the Battle Subway.

I've been trying to beat Platinum's Battle Tower since November 2009 with no success, if it's any indication of how tough the Subway is. (Haven't ever tried the subway but I assume it's B/W's Tower.) And I've been using 31-IV-Speed, 26-IV-Sp. Attack Starmie as well as Garchomp and Lucario. No dice.

I don't know how the AI would cheat, but natures ARE mostly about EVs and/or IVs (I don't really pay too much attention to those...)

I don't know how the AI would cheat, but natures ARE mostly about EVs and/or IVs (I don't really pay too much attention to those...)
What? Natures are completely independent of effort and genes. I don't think anyone bothers with EVs for ingame (IVs, possibly).

Back
Top Bottom