• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Monotype challenge

I don't see the point in prohibiting Ghost monos in RBY. It's possible to beat the game with six Gengar if you want. Of course, it's going to be a little difficult getting past Psychic-types, but that's what powerleveling is for, right?

In Platinum you theoretically could do a Fire monotype, just catch another Houndour/Ponyta/Magby... If you're really anal about species clause, you could use both Magmar and Magmortar in a relatively strong party.

that you can't get any ghosts before ... minimum two, probably three, not unlikely four, not implausibly five, (maybe six, cba to check) gyms in, off the top of my head, and even then you have a choice of exactly one pokémon? (which is haunter, unless trading.)

ice doesn't happen until seafoam, I don't think, but dragon is available at more or less the same time as ghost and has the same amount of variety (and dragonite and dragonair are quite usable, too).

and psychic and rock can't be don't before brock, but at least both are doable before misty.

bug variety is actually decent starting from early-game, grass likewise; both fail mid-game, but. electric leaves you stuck with pikachu against brock, so you're screwed until level 16/11, have fun!

Finally beat the gorrammed bug monotype. Lance was a bastard.

forretress lv. 53, crotch, rash/sturdy: bug bite, gyro ball, payback, spikes @amulet coin
beedrill lv. 54, phallus, relaxed/swarm: poison jab, twineedle, assurance, rock smash @focus sash
parasect lv. 52, tachat, hardy/effect spore: giga drain, slash, spore, stun spore @miracle seed
venomoth lv. 53, butts, lax/shield dust: signal beam, gust, psybeam, sleep powder @choice specs
pinsir lv. 52, condom, lax/hyper cutter: brick break, x-scissor, strength, earthquake @muscle band
heracross lv. 53, boobies, rash/swarm: brick break, shadow claw, aerial ace, rock tomb @choice scarf

and boxed:

ledian lv. 49, tushy, sassy/early bird: double edge, focus blast, thief, silver wind

Gonna beat Kanto and then... next game will probably be a poison monotype, dunno which game yet. Or I'll finish that dark mono. >>; ehh.

Fighting Mono is going pretty good, got one badge, 2 pokemon (Monferno and Machop). Sadly, however I know from this already that I will -NOT- have a flyer, but everything else should be possible... also, even if I can use every HM but fly, I will not have ONE pokemon with all of them because there aren't really enough Fighting, or any worth devoting, for HM slaves.... my Machop has Rock Smash cause it's the first HM and it's a fighting move and it's a pretty ok attack. So.

OK, so I finally started that Normal Mono in HeartGold. A Kangaskhan from my PokéWalker was my starter (lvl 8). I later got the Togepi in the egg, which wasn't supposed to be on my team in the first place but it was Mild and had Serene Grace so I went like fuck off and kept it anyways. Then I went directly towards Lake of Rage to get myself an early Girafarig which plowed through the Ghost Gym with ease.

kangaskhan
Rosalie (f)
-Scrappy-
lvl 29 - Jolly

- Strenght
- Bite
- Leer
- Fake Out

Togetic
William (m)
-Serene Grace-
lvl 28 - Mild

- Headbutt
- Extrasensory
- Encore
- Metronome

Girafarig
Elizabeth (f)
-Early Bird-
lvl 24 - Naive

- Stomp
- Psybeam
- Baton Pass
- Agility

Sentret
Jonathan (m)
-Keen Eye-
lvl 5 - Sassy

- Cut
- Surf
- Foresight
- Defense Curl​

Obviously Jonathan is my HM slave. Planning on getting myself a Doduo at Safari Zone, then either a Porygon or a Snorlax in Kanto. Time will tell. I'm currently in the Lighthouse and looking forward to dispatching Chuck with Elizabeth and my future Doduo.

what, your kangaskhan didn't plough through it easily enough?

for that matter, would think return would hit 102 BP soon enough and with STAB that would be kind of a pain.

that you can't get any ghosts before ... minimum two, probably three, not unlikely four, not implausibly five, (maybe six, cba to check) gyms in, off the top of my head, and even then you have a choice of exactly one pokémon? (which is haunter, unless trading.)

ice doesn't happen until seafoam, I don't think, but dragon is available at more or less the same time as ghost and has the same amount of variety (and dragonite and dragonair are quite usable, too).

and psychic and rock can't be don't before brock, but at least both are doable before misty.

bug variety is actually decent starting from early-game, grass likewise; both fail mid-game, but. electric leaves you stuck with pikachu against brock, so you're screwed until level 16/11, have fun!

You can get Gengar via the 'Mew glitch' before Misty in Red and Blue and I think even earlier in Yellow. Of course, that's not really allowed. Haunter can be caught after obtaining the Silph Scope, of course. I actually did a Ghost mono like this (two Haunters, one Gengar) and it was a bit silly - nothing in RBY really has much of a physical movepool outside normal-type moves. I ended up skipping a lot of trainers because I only had three pokes.

Ice is available a little before Seafoam (Shellder via fishing, and Poliwag for the trade in cerulean), depending on which order you do stuff in but, yeah, that's a little too late.

Electric looks like it might be fun, I'll have to try that one day...

what, your kangaskhan didn't plough through it easily enough?

for that matter, would think return would hit 102 BP soon enough and with STAB that would be kind of a pain.

Yep, but I needed to train Zab first, because I just had caught it.

And the Return TM isn't available yet (I think?).

EDIT: Oh yes it is, at Goldenrod Dept. Store, on a Sunday!

EDIT2: But anyways, I'd rather keep it for Dodrio, which doesn't have the bulk to allow itself to use low-BP moves.

I'm doing my first mono so I'll start with something easy. This one is Rick Riordan-themed.

ILS's Totally Legit Water Monotype
Game: Sapphire
Current Team:

Percy [Mudkip] (M) Lv.5

Projected Team

Percy [Swampert] (M)
Grover [Ludicolo] (M)
Jason [Lanturn] (M)
Leo [Wailord] (M)
Carter [Pelipper] (M)
Desjardins [Crawdaunt] (M)

I'm doing a Water mono in Sapphire. I've realized that Mudkip is probably the most overpowered starter in Pokemon history for the first half of the game, since it's capable of sweeping Roxanne, Wattson, and Flannery single handedly, and after that it has an advantage over Liza & Tate.

Here's my current team:
mudkipwingull

I'm also starting a Water mono on Black, and here's what I was thinking:
samurottseismitoadcarracostaswannajellicentalomomola

starting a ground mono in soul silver! i guess i'm trading for onix in violet city.

Geodude Stenigsyn (f), bold/rock head
Onix Rocky (m), hasty/sturdy (OT: Rudy, Violet City. i would've named it Ormberg)
Wooper Dymonark (f), quirky/damp

Last edited:
I'll start a fighting mono on Platinum when I get home.

My final team:
Infernape
Medicham
Machoke(or machamp)
Lucario
Gallade
Bibarel (hm slaving)

Fighting type mono would be awesome but I won't make the mistake my fictional waifu made (aka, make it so they can't hit ghosts) :P

SHE'S ACTUALLY SMARTER IN THE ANIME.....*sniffle* True fighting type lover though hands down. All fighting and normal moves is REAL dedication.......just not the wisest of such. I duno what else to say.

Another mono i'd like to do would be grass cos sometimes i'm too hard on myself for not picking those starters enough xD and i like plants a lot in real life overall.

ahh... this is a thread.
I started a (Mostly) mono bug team in sword a while back. (like a month)
this is currently my team.

Gmax Orbeetle (SHINY :D) - lvl 81 - Name: Beepboop/Parvati (I change it every so often)
Gmax Butterfree - lvl 66 - Name: Flutter
Gmax Centiskorch - lvl 67 - Name: Panini
Golisopod - Lvl 66 - Name: Max
Vikavolt - lvl 63 - Name: Lucannon (French Name)
Rimbombee - lvl 63 - Name: Rubombelle (French Name)

Falinks - lvl 55 - Name: Falinks
Flygon - lvl 59 - Name: Dagonfy (I forget where this name comes from but i think it's that he's almost a dragonfly but he isn't clearly due to his ground typing so i named him dagonfy instead or something like that.)
SIlvally - lvl 60 - Name: Type: Bug ( Guess what type it is?)

Back
Top Bottom