• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Give me a good anime.

Generic shounen is generic. And stupid, 95% of the time.
but that's the point of shonen! it's like why I enjoy playing most Final Fantasy games - they're pretty stupid and contain nothing of artistic merit, but they're entertaining. similarly, generic shonen is good simply because it's nothing more than people shouting and throwing electric balls at each other.

Haven't watched Utena, Slayers, .hack... :S Old school may be harder for me to find. I've always heard good things about .hack though, but I've never played the games either, not owning any prerequisite game systems... :|

Cowboy Bebop, Baccano! I've been meaning to look into, I heard it's one of the classics. Same with Arakawa (SHAFT ANIMATION *o*), Aria (slice of life in... neo-Venezia?) and Kara no Kyoukai.

I've watched Hyakko (<3), K-ON (lulz girls), Angel Beats (FLYING CHAIRS drizzled with bawww), Durarara (!!! epic), Lucky Star (4girls again with way too many anireferences, but I only like kagami/konata), Soul Eater (fun stuff), Evangelion (I loved it. mindfuck)... yes, I've watched nearly all the Key stuff- Clannad, Kanon, Air.

And yes I am watching Ookami-san. I hate the narrator (Kuroko). KUROKO RUINS EVERYTHING.

Actually, I've never watched the first Fullmetal Alchemist series. However, I've watched Brotherhood- and loved it. It's one of the few shows for which I can say has an amazing plotline, story, and characters- with undertones of romance and comedy here and there. I like the shows that make you question how you want to live and what life really means- and this is pretty broad, but the general idea is that after watching the show, my everyday looks a little different than it used to.

My favorite anime is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which is (I think) 27 episodes including a clip show recap episode in the middle and is from 2006-7. I don't know if you've seen it or what you like, but if you haven't, it's an extremely silly, epic giant mecha anime that turns out to make a strange amount of sense in its own completely nonsensical way. Also, it's epic. And there are epic speeches of DETERMINATION. And the characters have a surprising amount of depth and their relationships are interesting and also Kamina is hot and perpetually shirtless.

It's not perfect, but I at least love it to death. Do give it a chance if you haven't seen it.

Evangelion (I loved it. mindfuck)...
well I havent watched either series but word on the street is that Fafner of the Azure and RahXephon are equally mindfucky (the latter is often said to be better than Eva). they also have mechs!

Fafner was alright, and I didn't particularly care for RahXephon (PERSONALLY. This is just me). I found Evangelion and its movies to be much better than the Fafner and Xephon. The Rebuild series is so far really good too. At least, of the two movies that have come out.

In my experience, you either prefer Evangelion of RahXephon. I suggest giving both a taste (you've already tried Eva) and figuring it out for yourself.

Also, Mnemosyne is awesome. Short, too, with 6 45-minute episodes.

You should watch Clannad and Clannad: After Story if you want to watch something funny and sad. Its about 51 episodes total. For the record, Clannad, Air TV and kanon were mande from games by the same company. Angel Beats was also made my the same company.

You should watch Clannad and Clannad: After Story if you want to watch something funny and sad. Its about 51 episodes total. For the record, Clannad, Air TV and kanon were mande from games by the same company. Angel Beats was also made my the same company.

Oh god, I didn't like any of those at all. Might just have been me, but I wanted to bludgeon half the characters to death with a rusty spoon. So irritatingly cutesy. And the main character of Clannad could piss right off. He was such a douche to Fuuko. They're not very good IMO.

Well, Clannad, Air and Kanon anyway; I haven't watched Angel Beats! but it looks a bit crapola.

I think Keta's watched those anyway... I don't know, but it seems like something she'd be interested in somehow.

Fate/Stay Night would be my highest recommendation. It's a fantasy action style animé, though has some romance as well if you're interested. My favourite animé and the only one I've ever watched through twice. Brilliant characters, music, story, everything is right - for me, at least. Except maybe how it's squashed into just 24 episodes, but that seems to suit your taste anyway.

You said you've watched the key stuff, but I saw no mention of The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi or Death Note. Though Death Note has probably been mentioned already.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is also a fantastic psychological thriller. Fair bit of gore, but even still has a great story, mood and characters.

They would be my recommendations. I haven't watched much animé, but I thoroughly enjoyed what I listed here. Other animé I have watched and enjoyed include Fullmetal Alchemist and K-On!, but they've already been mentioned.

Fate/Stay Night would be my highest recommendation. It's a fantasy action style animé, though has some romance as well if you're interested. My favourite animé and the only one I've ever watched through twice. Brilliant characters, music, story, everything is right - for me, at least. Except maybe how it's squashed into just 24 episodes, but that seems to suit your taste anyway.

The only problem with it being that they took the Fate route, and compressed into something relatively boring. I still think they should've adapted the Heaven's Feel route too =/

At least the anime adaptation of Fate/stay night isn't terrible. Like a certain other anime that would probably be crap if it existed.

Mainstream anime is mainstream :( Haruhi isn't bad, though.
What's wrong with mainstream? Sure, it's over centralised more often than not, but usually it's like that for a reason.

The only problem with it being that they took the Fate route, and compressed into something relatively boring. I still think they should've adapted the Heaven's Feel route too =/
Yeah, I agree that Fate is the worst route. But there is the Unlimited Blade Works adaptation. I'd say that's my favourite route, but that's a bit unfair since I never finished Heaven's Feel, in fact I barely started it. I just don't like Sakura much, so a whole route around her didn't intrigue me.

What's wrong with mainstream? Sure, it's over centralised more often than not, but usually it's like that for a reason.

Yeah, I agree that Fate is the worst route. But there is the Unlimited Blade Works adaptation. I'd say that's my favourite route, but that's a bit unfair since I never finished Heaven's Feel, in fact I barely started it. I just don't like Sakura much, so a whole route around her didn't intrigue me.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a DVD release of the Unlimited Blade Works movie. It's been what, six or seven months since release and still nothing?

not a lot of people seem to like Sakura for some reason :c where's the Sakura loooooove mang? Heck, I even like her dark side enough to the point that I main her in Fate/unlimited Codes. And she's beastly in Battle Moon Wars :o

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a DVD release of the Unlimited Blade Works movie. It's been what, six or seven months since release and still nothing?

not a lot of people seem to like Sakura for some reason :c where's the Sakura loooooove mang? Heck, I even like her dark side enough to the point that I main her in Fate/unlimited Codes. And she's beastly in Battle Moon Wars :o
I've been waiting too, but I remember reading somewhere about a mid-September release for the DVD, so not too much longer now if that source was correct.

And I don't like Sakura because she was always so clingy and helpless. Rin and Saber had some personality. But if there's a dark Sakura, which sounds more interesting, then I may go back and complete the route.

I've been waiting too, but I remember reading somewhere about a mid-September release for the DVD, so not too much longer now if that source was correct.

And I don't like Sakura because she was always so clingy and helpless. Rin and Saber had some personality. But if there's a dark Sakura, which sounds more interesting, then I may go back and complete the route.

September release? I can only hope so. Waiting for the DVD release is almost as painful as waiting for the DVD release of Tales of Vesperia: First Strike was, and that was painful. For me, at least.

Well playing through Heaven's Feel explains exactly why she acts the way she does, and Dark Sakura only comes around because a particular character was being a bitch, which then cues bad end if you did something wrong.

Heaven's Feel route at least ends well; in Tsukihime, neither of the endings in the Akiha route are good endings D:

Back
Top Bottom