• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Languages

And we have so many uneccesary vocabulary words. What is a synod? Declamatory, abstruse, bombastic, verisimilitude, inflammable (which means the same as flammable), and several others.

but but that's what makes English interesting :(

and how dare you say verisimilitude is unnecessary! I use it all the time :(

but but that's what makes English interesting :(

and how dare you say verisimilitude is unnecessary! I use it all the time :(

I use plenty of these hunkering behemoths of the English language within my own writing. </hypocrite> D:

some Jews outside of Israel speak it. My girlfriend speaks Hebrew as well, and she's only been to Israel three times. But since Jews are a bit rare nowadays I see what you mean. I don't think she's exactly fluent (or so she says - but I think she'd pick it up quickly as she already speaks four other languages fluently, and she understands basic Dutch).

Pity that ensured the only things I know are "ani ohev otakh" which is the male version of I love you iirc and "laila tov".

Yeahhh it's still pretty useless. Also sounds gross. :[ Also spelling it in English looks weird.

And I am a der. Or, in Hebrew, derrrrr. :D

Well my spelling is probably not even that English. My girlfriend spells it the French way, which is even more confusing, because she writes the hard "kh" as "h", which is also a more conventional h sound I believe.

I could alternatively spell it the Dutch way, but that would look retarded as fucken shit.

I shall adopt this immediately.

Though I was hoping for eye colour pronouns myself :(

Eh, eye colours would just have too many pronouns and much more ambiguity than hair color to make it impractical to employ, sorry.

And thank you for all the adaptors of the hair-pronouns. ^.^

Eh, eye colours would just have too many pronouns and much more ambiguity than hair color to make it impractical to employ, sorry.

And thank you for all the adaptors of the hair-pronouns. ^.^

I go to a school where 60%+ of the student body will have the same pronouns in terms of eye color. If you include natural hair color, then 60%+ of the student body will also have the same hair color. In other words, I dislike this system because it's still fairly "ambiguous" when applied to a mostly-Asian population.

Aside from that, what always intrigued me was that in Chinese, he, she, it are all pronounced "ta". Exactly the same way. So, I always felt that Chinese was less discriminatory- you refer to males, females, and even neuters with the same "word"- albeit written differently for each gender. (and, as a result, I mix up he and she in speech every so often. d'oh)

For Japanese, there are gender pronouns- however, Japanese likes to avoid using pronouns wherever possible, forcing a lot of inference on people. If anyone here watches anime, Chrona from Soul Eater's a good example of gender confusion/ambiguity. I figure it translates well into Chinese, this whole in-joke that no one can tell whether Chrona is a female or male simply from lack of pronouns.

Eloi, you are fantastic :D
Thank you! ^.^
Ah, I almost forgot the case system for the hair-pronouns. They are also always considered Third Person. Most of the pronoun endings come from Old English weak noun declension endings.
(light-haired/dark haired/ginger/mix/not sure or addressing a combination of hair colors)
Singular-
Subject: Auba/dur/au or de/blut (t silent)/fea or feax
Object: Auban/dure/aun or den/blut (t pronounced)/feax or enfeax
Reflexive: Aubself/durself/auself or deself/blutself (could be either)/ feaself or feaxself
Plural-
Subject: Auban/dura/auen or den/blutas (t and a silent)/fea or feax
Object: Aubena/duran/auan or dean/blutas/feau or feaxu
Reflexive: Aubselves/durselves/auselves or deselves/blutselves (could be either)/feaselves or feaxselves

I'm fluent in Portuguese.
I speak English.
I can't speak Spanish very well, but have no trouble understanding it.
My French is below mediocre now. It was way better back in high school, shame I've forgotten most of it. :C
I know very basic German.
I would like to learn Russian, but I've been too lazy to actually attempt that.

Eloi! What about people who dye their hair (especially unnatural colours like blue)?

uhh I speak... english? that is, australianese. which is really english but with slacker vowels, more swearing and slang that makes sense to absolutely nobody.

Eloi! What about people who dye their hair (especially unnatural colours like blue)?

uhh I speak... english? that is, australianese. which is really english but with slacker vowels, more swearing and slang that makes sense to absolutely nobody.

Its just judged whether or not if its light, dark, or neither. So a person with navy blue hair would be "dur" and one with sky blue would be "auba".

hey hey guys hey guys
do you have a favourite word in any particular languages
or am I just weird because I do

German: schnell
Swedish: allihopa
Japanese: daijobu

SCHNELL
best word ever

hey hey guys hey guys
do you have a favourite word in any particular languages
or am I just weird because I do

English: Maelstrom
Welsh: Popty-ping

It means microwave. Literally "ping-oven". I love it.

Popty-ping

Welsh is now officially the best language if not the best thing

Um I have lots of favourite English words but I think my favourite German one that I can remember would have to be "Schmetterling" (butterfly). And when I briefly learnt a bit of Italian I loved like every single word. "Arancione" (orange) and "asciugamano" (towel) in particular were brilliant. And most words with "ci" in them somewhere because it makes a rather nice "tchi" sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom