• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon

Perhaps MeleMele is this suspiciously clouded-over area on the world map? Could we be getting the two-regions-in-one game that the fandom has been clamoring for?

It's more likely just one of the islands and the dex is split up (like the Coastal/Mountain/whatever split on Kalos). At least that's what it looks like.

I'm totally on board with having a second Hot Dude Professor! Thanks Gamefreak. Rotom-Dex looks pretty cute and hopefully means more interesting sidequests? Maybe?
Solgaleo's typing is a bit odd, but I don't really mind. Lunala continues to be the more interesting of the two (even though I'm still picking Sun).

I'm a tiny bit disappointed there weren't any new pokemon revealed, but thankfully Sun & Moon will be livestreaming on the 14th because E3 (iirc). I need more new pokemon as soon as possible :Y

let's just hope their lore gets interesting enough (ie, isn't just another take on "controls a natural phenomenon in a way that the local evil team wants to do a catastrophe with"). E

This is one of the main reasons I love gen 5 so much. The legendaries weren't entirely necessary to the plot, and the evil team actually had a motivation that made sense.

What will the evil team even be called? Galactic's already been taken!

(As a side-note, I'm assuming Solgaleo is pronounced leo like the lion, but I keep pronouncing it leo as in Galileo. Like a sun lion version of Galileo. Am I the only one?!)

And the "Galileo" pronunciation sounds far better, therefore I declare it the correct one. *bangs gavel*
Solgaleo! (SOLGALEO)
Solgaleo! (SOLGALEO)
Solgaleo Lunala!
Cryogonal has a devil put aside for meeee! For meeeeeeee!

The Rotom idea is really neat. As far as I know, this is the very first time a Pokémon actually speaks in a main series game! Hehe!

Does ghost Marowak count?

I do vaguely remember a guy in BW who turns out to be a Zoroark? I can't remember if he talks or if he was just an illusion created by the Zoroark and not the Pokémon itself.

I'm guessing they're somehow based off of Hawaiian mythology? Anyone versed here in that specific topic?

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like they have more to do with alchemy than with Hawaiian mythology. Granted, I'm not versed in either alchemy or Hawaiian mythology, so I dunno!

Anyways, I don't get how Magearna fits in with all of this. This is kinda farfetched but... are the legends robots? Solgaleo certainly looks like one, and its Ability only makes me think it's a robot even more. There's also a closeup on its eyes that make me think that, too.
I doubt magearna has anything to do with them at all, honestly. It's a mythical pokémon, remember, and they're often irrelevant to the plot legends and the plot in general. Pretty sure keldeo, mew, darkrai and arceus are the only ones with any direct game canon relation to in-game legends? I dunno, maybe whichever humans created magearna were also dabbling in some kind of alchemy, but robotics and steampunk and whatnot aren't typically associated with alchemy, so I'm not sure about that.

That said, it did just occur to me that one of Alola's islands is supposed to be man-made... maybe that will tie in with magearna somehow? I don't know that they were necessarily made at the same time or by the same people—it's hard to make any of the islands out in great detail but I feel like it looks like more modern construction than magearna—but there might at least be some kind of throwaway mention there, maybe.

Not thrilled with solgaleo being cat metagross and still giggling at how the sun legendary is weak to fire, but eh, I'll get over it. I still like Buzz Lionyear's design that little bit more than lunala's, pretty though the latter is.

Aaaah Nekkoala's ability looks like it could get some great competitive traction! I hope it evolves into something good enough to use it well!

I also love that it looks like we're probably adding more types to the mix of very-early-game critters beyond Normal, Flying, Bug, and occasionally Dark.

I love the months leading up to a new generation. The trickle of news is always so exciting and reignites my love of the games!

Bulbanews is saying that solgaleo and lunala have alternate forms. The designs basically don't change and all they appear to do is glow, but still, fingers crossed that the disappointing types/abilities are rectified in the alts, eh? Maybe not—xerneas's active and neutral forms don't do anything—but like I said, fingers crossed.

Solgaleo-RisingPhase.png

Rising Phase Solgaleo

Lunala-FullMoonPhase.png

Full Moon Phase Lunala

(oh and magearna has a new move and ability, too, but it's not clear what they do so that's not as noteworthy as hopefully-more-interesting box legends.)

Nekkoala and Iwanko are love. I'm praying that Nekkoala gets a sound move Belly Drum so it can slam on its log or something. I was kind of just "oh, cute" with Iwanko, then I found out it's a Rock-type and not the Normal I expected. That opens up some very interesting evolution possibilities.

Also, Serebii's claiming that the starters and Iwanko hold some kind of secret. Mega Evolutions, perhaps? I mean, we still only have Mega Diancie for Kalos (which you can't even get in XY) and Mega Audino for Unova, which would make same-generation Megas for Alola Pokemon be a big surprise.

Is it weird that I'm a little surprised the Zygarde formes are going to be included in-game? Since they skipped ahead to Gen 7 instead of doing a Zygarde-mascot game, I figured the new formes had been relegated to the anime only...

Is it weird that I'm a little surprised the Zygarde formes are going to be included in-game? Since they skipped ahead to Gen 7 instead of doing a Zygarde-mascot game, I figured the new formes had been relegated to the anime only...
I was expecting them to show up in the games sooner or later; I got the impression they'd already done a lot of work on the concept, so. But I'm wondering how they're going to fit Zygarde into the game without it being weird, hehe.

New pokemon + a new battle mode were shown in the livestream, here's a new trailer with them in 'em (+ a bug that wasn't seen in the stream)!

- Pikipek, the woodpecker whose model was briefly shown in the very first trailer; Normal/Flying with either Keen Eye or Skill Link.
- Yungoos, a pissed off mongoose; Normal with either Stakeout or Strong Jaw.
- Grubbin, an adorable grub; Bug with Swarm.

They're all neat! The official site says this about Stakeout: "With the Stakeout Ability, this Pokémon’s moves can deal twice the normal damage to any Pokémon that switch in or enter the field mid-battle." Nice.

The hype train keeps chuggin' along! :D

I LOVE THE WOODPECKER. I am so pleased when they have good bird designs, I loved the Fletchling family and I'm prepared to love this woodpecker and his evolutions too.

Yungoos is SO CUTE and Stakeout seems like such a useful ability. I'm already in love.

Battle Royals look fun, though I'm a bit annoyed they spelled it without the -e...

- Grubbin, an adorable grub; Bug with Swarm.

Adorable nothing. The official site says they Tarzan around everywhere on silk threads. I have taken umbrellas outside on bright, beautiful, cloudless spring days to shield myself from the torrential rain of falling, swinging caterpillars and their curtains of silk. The last thing the world needs is more of that, but a foot long with most of that foot being a pair of deadly pickaxes aimed right at my face. >|

(the design is cute, though, yes)

The new pokémon are cool and all, but honestly I'm most excited about all the thought they're putting into how pokémon really integrate with this culture! I'm not holding my breath for the main plot being any less generic than the previous ones, but it sounds like the setting itself and all of the fabulous tiny touches and easter eggs will be fantastic. I didn't see the beginning of the stream so I'm not sure what happened in the very first parts of the game, but they also kept mentioning a "guardian deity" (I forget the name, T-something K-something...?) that the player seems to have met... a legendary, I'm assuming? Possibly whatever that "strange souvenir" item from Gen VI is meant to represent?

Yungoos's official site data also mentions it having been introduced to Alola to control the population of some other pokémon. Aside from it being interesting that they're explicitly mentioning "we brought this pokémon here for the express purpose of killing another pokémon", which is the kind of thing they've shied away from a little in recent gens in favor of talking about dead children via phantump, it looks like that's a direct reference to the way real mongooses were introduced to real Hawai'i to control rats and ended up becoming a big problem themselves. I've seen people wondering whether invasive species would be touched on in these games, and it looks like that's the case! Very interesting. (I guess that means there'll also be some kind of rat pokémon that yungoos is meant to eat... will they use rattata or some other existing pokémon for that, or is it a new ratmon? also that means that yungoos is actually native to another region entirely, gen 8 confirmed)

And what why does Hau have litten if you have popplio? Where'd rowlet go? Did Lillie take it? Even though apparently she doesn't like battling? (The presenters mentioned that Lillie's bag should be looking "familiar" or "interesting" or something... now that I look at it, it kinda looks like some iterations of the TM case? Is she helping Kukui by studying/providing/??? TMs?)

The updates to the UI also look great. Even better quick move lookup; the ability to see stat changes in battle (something you can do in Showdown and in at least a few fangames but that I never thought would make it into the official games); the UI "learning" which attacks are SE/NVE against each species after you encounter it, giving you a chance to discover matchups for yourself on first encounter and serving as a reminder down the road; the trainers standing behind the pokémon and directing them in battle... all really neat and/or entertaining ideas, imo!

Meanwhile, cue rampant speculation about how popplio's gonna become a fairy-type since it learns disarming voice. Not a requirement, obviously, it could be strictly there because seal barking, but still! A lot of people are already pegging it as a fairy, so that's definitely going to add fuel to the fire. Also grubbin's data on the site mentions it liking to live near power plants, so we've probably got some bug/electric in our future.

But yes so much worldbuilding and pretty region hype Alola is gonna be great I wanna go nooooow

I've seen people wondering whether invasive species would be touched on in these games, and it looks like that's the case! Very interesting.
You might already be aware, but some people have speculated that Rowlet and (especially) Litten are based on invasive species in Hawaii as well!

I was confused about Hau having a Litten instead of Rowlet in the gameplay footage, too; I'm wondering if they changed it so your rival gets the starter that's weak to your starter's type now? They have been making a lot of changes to make the games easier for kids and first-time players recently, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Oh gosh Pikipek is adorable. Love.

I'm wondering if they changed it so your rival gets the starter that's weak to your starter's type now? They have been making a lot of changes to make the games easier for kids and first-time players recently, so I wouldn't be surprised.

*cue grumpy "back in my day" speech*

And what why does Hau have litten if you have popplio? Where'd rowlet go? Did Lillie take it? Even though apparently she doesn't like battling? (The presenters mentioned that Lillie's bag should be looking "familiar" or "interesting" or something... now that I look at it, it kinda looks like some iterations of the TM case? Is she helping Kukui by studying/providing/??? TMs?)

I'm pretty sure that was just a way to demonstrate the new pokemons attacks and type advantages, like how they showed Moongeist Beam, a Ghost type attack, on Gengar, a pokemon weak to Ghost.

I'm really liking the Battle Royals idea, it looks like a really cool idea for online battles, if they decide to implement it. I doubt they will though; it looks like it takes place in a contest-hall-esque thing? Maybe replacing contests?? I don't know, really.

Also Grubbin is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom