• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The QUILTBAG Club (formerly the LGBT club)

Flora's rejoining with news on her romantic life...wait what romantic life?

So my crush/best friend got a boyfriend, which has significantly decreased the awkward factor (which actually briefly returned to normal yesterday because when crush is tired awkwardness goes up a whooooole lot. but even that wasn't that awkward). Not that I mind too much, some of the awkwardness was...er...yeah I don't wanna talk about it. (see, Nifty Fifty's, that's what you get for having only one bathroom stall in the girl's room.)

Though she's ridiculously tired (not to an awkwardness-boosting degree though) and kinda irritable cause of it. Which makes me sad.

My friend's trying to set me up with a friend of her boyfriend though. And he sounds adorable.

...catchy. Return of the LGBT/QUILTBAG club!

I feel like joining in with news of my own romantic life. Recently the people who verbally abuse me and my girlfriend at the bus stop began getting physical; we were nearly alone whereas usually we'd be part of a group and were kinda cornered. They threw snowballs (or rather, huge chunks of hard snow) at us until we were shivering, crying wrecks. :C One of them actually asked my girlfriend why she was crying. I nearly punched him. She did.

We were going to report it to the school, who have been getting a little bit better with telling us off for apparently being such great big lesbians, but they tend to leave us alone now so we just want the hassle to be over. We're still yelled and hissed at going through town, though, which kinda sucks. So yeah, apparently semi-rural England still has a while to go with accepting LGBT kids. What news.

Hrml.

Haha, I adore the new title. If I ever get around to organising an LGBT society at my school, I'll propose the same title (Unless that could be counted plagiaristic!).

"So, do you want to eat at X room with Y and Z at lunch?"
"Sorry, can't, I'm going to Quiltbag Club :C"

So as everyone seems to be talking about their current LGBT-related lives, what's going on in my, erm, figurative quiltbag?

...Well, nothing.

That is all.

I guess I'll rejoin as bisexual, though strongly headed toward gay.

ANYWAYS I think I'm going to try and tell my one friend who I kissed the other day that I'm bisexual tonight. I already told his girlfriend, and she's surprisingly okay with everything. WHOO

I never joined this club in its first incarnation. ;_; So joinage now, most likely aromantic asexual. x3

In my groups of friends, straight is a minority. One lesbian, two probable aces, one bi and two hetero. x3 I'm meeting the bi friend's potential girlfriend today, which will be interesting. I had to promise not to interrogate her like an overprotective older sibling. >>

...catchy. Return of the LGBT/QUILTBAG club!

I feel like joining in with news of my own romantic life. Recently the people who verbally abuse me and my girlfriend at the bus stop began getting physical; we were nearly alone whereas usually we'd be part of a group and were kinda cornered. They threw snowballs (or rather, huge chunks of hard snow) at us until we were shivering, crying wrecks. :C One of them actually asked my girlfriend why she was crying. I nearly punched him. She did.

We were going to report it to the school, who have been getting a little bit better with telling us off for apparently being such great big lesbians, but they tend to leave us alone now so we just want the hassle to be over. We're still yelled and hissed at going through town, though, which kinda sucks. So yeah, apparently semi-rural England still has a while to go with accepting LGBT kids. What news.

Hrml.
Are they just completely thick or malicious to a disturbing degree? Good god. I hope things get better, those people sound like complete cocks :/ wtf

QUILTBAG is such a good name! :) sadly I don't have much to contribute love-life wise because I'm still stuck in a weird limbo with a guy where neither of us will come out and say we like each other but still basically know that we do. WHICH IS RETARDED LIKE WHOA AND I WANT TO CHANGE IT >B/ go go gadget social skills i wish i had this superpower ;__;

Okay I need to make like a long crappy post sorry.

So I just had a huge conversation with my mom where I 'came out', yay. As trans, not ace, because my ace-ness is pretty obvious. Feels like crap but whatever.

Anyhow at the end she basically said 'I don't want you discussing this with the boys' (my brothers), which struck a nerve. I didn't intend to, at all, but why can't I? Is there something inappropriate with trans-ness? Why else would you shelter them from it? She said it's not 'age-appropriate' but she lets them watch literally any tv show they want. One of them watches and has watched South Park since he was much younger, like, 12 or so, idk. And they talk about hetero things all the time, like my father pointing out 'hot' girls in tv shows (13 from House) nonstop. Even gay subjects are fine. She said that's 'normal and fine', about the hetero stuff.

But this isn't age-appropriate?

She said she doesn't want them to know about it. But isn't that what breeds hatred? Lack of knowledge? So she wants my own brothers to hate who I am?

I just... sigh. Am I overreacting? :| This just reminds me so much of those people who banned the children books that involved gay couples.

She said she doesn't want them to know about it. But isn't that what breeds hatred? Lack of knowledge? So she wants my own brothers to hate who I am?

How old are they? If I had kids, and they were like 8 years old, I probably wouldn't want to have to explain to them all these ideas of sexualities that aren't gay or straight. If they're like 13+ though, then they should know. Definitely.

How old are they? If I had kids, and they were like 8 years old, I probably wouldn't want to have to explain to them all these ideas of sexualities that aren't gay or straight. If they're like 13+ though, then they should know. Definitely.

11 and er, 14/15 (I forget lul). The thing is, I'm not planning on 'explaining' anything, actually I wasn't even going to mention it at all. I just think they should know that, you know, people can be non-binary.

Also growing up knowing it, below age 8, is probably what would be the healthiest. Not having it explained but just knowing it - seeing people that aren't binary, etc.

(Also rrrrg trans isn't a sexuality.)

11 and er, 14/15 (I forget lul). The thing is, I'm not planning on 'explaining' anything, actually I wasn't even going to mention it at all. I just think they should know that, you know, people can be non-binary.

Also growing up knowing it, below age 8, is probably what would be the healthiest. Not having it explained but just knowing it - seeing people that aren't binary, etc.

(Also rrrrg trans isn't a sexuality.)

The 14/15 year old is definitely old enough to know about it. Surely this being you, it's your right to tell whoever you want?

(And sorry for my idiocy. What in the world is it classed as?)

The 14/15 year old is definitely old enough to know about it. Surely this being you, it's your right to tell whoever you want?

(And sorry for my idiocy. What in the world is it classed as?)

Yeah, but she's all 'they're my kids', etc. Also the 11 year old is pretty mature and would get it. :\ Also also, they both know about trans-people existing so it's not like an entirely new subject. Idk.

It's gender identity.

Speaking of trans-ness and gender identity, something quite wonderful happened in a General Studies lesson the other day. We were discussing what aspects of a person give a sense of self, and at one point somebody said 'sex'; then about a minute later somebody else said 'gender'. The teacher, of course, said "Oh, we've already got sex", so at this point I and the other person said "But they're different! Sex is what your body is, and gender is what you identify as!" or something of the sort, and everybody else in the class was kind of confused for a minute but then we explained more and they actually understood! It was quite fantastic.

Speaking of trans-ness and gender identity, something quite wonderful happened in a General Studies lesson the other day. We were discussing what aspects of a person give a sense of self, and at one point somebody said 'sex'; then about a minute later somebody else said 'gender'. The teacher, of course, said "Oh, we've already got sex", so at this point I and the other person said "But they're different! Sex is what your body is, and gender is what you identify as!" or something of the sort, and everybody else in the class was kind of confused for a minute but then we explained more and they actually understood! It was quite fantastic.

That's awesome :D My mom had tremendous difficulty even after I showed her a website dedicated to explaining it, the wiki article on gender, and explained it as thoroughly as I could. Sigh.

Re-joining as pansexual and questioning gender identity.

LIFE UPDATES Two of my friends are bisexual girls who are dating each other! Otherwise, not much that's QUILTBAG related.

joining again (what, I started this thread) as bisexual I guess

in today's news I'm single (aaaa) and have a crush on my female pansexual friend. :| this is extremely frustrating because I'm not the only one. ack

since everyone is giving updates on their lives...

>got denied to start testosterone for now
>having psychotherapy sessions for a while :|
>don't know what will happen after that
>now out to everyone who needs to know except my one irl friend, who I will tell in the new year
>been with my girlfriend for 5 months now yaaay

Re... joining...? though there's not exactly a member's list, so... haha...

The closest I have come to progress is last night at a party someone asked "<Have you ever kissed a guy?>" "<Nope.>" "<Have you ever kissed a girl?>" "<Nope.>" "<Why not?>" "<Well... I've never dated! And no one's ever asked.>" which is sort of super vague yes

... I am the most boring eighteen year old. Probably hopefully things will get better when I get back to the states. :B ('better', not that things aren't perfectly okay now... eh.)

Relatedly, have an interview with Amanda Palmer including her thoughts on being single/in a relationship.

I was single, I had hit thirty, and I was finding myself in a really defensive position, probably of my own making. I started to sort through the cultural noise, what it meant to choose to be single, and to choose my path as not the relentless crunch to find some magic other person to complete me. I had been single for long enough that I sat myself down for a year or so and said, "If you’re looking for a relationship, and don’t even know that you are, are you looking to a relationship as what has been mandated as what you have to do to be happy?" And I was really, really thinking deeply about this, because I had looked around a lot, and I was like, Wow, I’ve been single for three years. I might like to be in a relationship. But actually, I’m really happy. I love my friends, I love my life. I’m not in a relationship, and yet I feel this weird pressure from culture as a whole, from my parents, saying, "But you won’t be truly happy until you find that special someone." And I don’t know if I buy it. I sat down and thought about it long and hard; do I buy it? Or is it possible to be alone and truly happy?

Relatedly, have an interview with Amanda Palmer including her thoughts on being single/in a relationship.
Which is a bit moot since now she's engaged to Neil Gaiman, but what evs.

Anyway, speaking of Amanda Palmer, have her new single (semi NSFW). It's about pubes.

EDIT: Oh, and slightly more on topic, have this older AFP song which is somewhat more on topic with the single-vs.-relationship topic we were on.

now i am 33
unmarried happily
no plans in life and i'm planning to keep it that way
i do kissing with only one mission
do you like to kiss? then you have my permission

and i have already spent too much time
doing things i didn't want to
so if i just want to make out all the time
you can bet your black ass that i'm going to

Last edited:
Why does that make it a moot point? Also they're married.

I dunno, I was trying to say something about the fact that she felt like she could be just as happy alone but still ended up in a long-term heavily-committed relationship.

And guh her life is so whirlwind to keep track of even when following her on twitter. I thought it still wasn't technically legally done yet (although, yes, I remember them having the ceremony).

Back
Top Bottom