• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Drawing gets better with age?

eh probably.

i always kinda thought that art just improves over time, not necessarily age. a fifty year old could draw worse than me, but they're older than me. it just improves over time, although age could be a factor if you had been drawing from a young age.

idk.

I guess so. I was able to pick up shading when I as about 7 (although the drawings still looked terrible).

I've seen people who could draw well, but it's only because they like to draw. Most good artists got that way by practicing.

It's a mixture of both, I believe. As you get older, your observation skills improve and you get a better sense of perspective. But on the other hand, simply aging isn't going to improve you a whole lot. You need to practice practice practice to get any good. For a long time.
I've only been drawing as a hobby for close to a year now, but I still struggle with many things

I think it's mostly practice, it's just someone older would have more time to practice. I have been absolutely awful at art for the bast sixteen years. I've been practising for the past few weeks and I can tell I'm improving. I might not be good, but I'm better. So I'd say practise is more important than age.
Not to say that age doesn't have an effect- a two year old that draws a lot probably wouldn't draw something as good as an adult who doesn't draw as much.

Like some people have said, drawing skill doesn't really improve over time unless that time is spent practicing, and evolving your art style. I hardly improved my drawing skills at all from age 1 to 10. Once I started actually drawing though, I have improved tremendously. I started when I was about ten, and I have gradually gotten better... However, I still believe it takes practice. I've gotten lots of art blocks and laziness periods, and I never get through them until I force myself to draw, because until I do, I will never improve.

The only way age is really a factor is that older people tend to be more mature and responsible, and thus are more willing to commit to drawing. Additionally, adults generally have more hand-eye coordination and motor control than children. Still, persistence and practice are much more important contributors to drawing skill than age.

You have to learn as you draw. So I suppose that if you just keep drawing you may notice new things here and there and eventually get better and better, but classes accelerate this like crazy.

Not necessaril does it come with age. I suppose you get a better sense of detail, but age affecting drawing? No, not really.

yes, if you start drawing and then keep drawing.
no, if you try to draw once in first grade and then expect to be amazing when you pick up a pencil again in college.

Drawing gets better the more you draw.

Sorta, sorta not.
I mean, there's a huge difference between your artwork as a 5 year old to your artwork as a teenager, but you need practice to really get good.

Not necessarilly. It's the time taken to practise and hone your skill rather than just your age. Although, as my art techer said, the reason most kids are so crap is because their parents compliment their stick figures.

But I wish it was just age.

That's one of the oddest things I've ever heard... Getting better at drawing with age? I've been drawing for a very long time, and I only got better through massive amounts of practice. Granted it's just a hobby for me, and I could probably do better myself if I drew more, it's more practice than anything else.

Some people also just happen to have a sort of... "affinity" for drawing, but that's kind of rare... Even then, those people won't be able to do much without practice.

For me, yes indeed. Granted, my drawing abilities are still terrible, but not as terrible as they were once upon a time. Back when I was about five years old, my people had a face, and then legs. There was no torso at all, not even a line like in a stick figure. Now my drawn people actually look somewhat like people.

Back
Top Bottom