• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Kirby franchise

Autumn

bye
Pronoun
she
right so here's a discussion topic of sorts!! Kirby games. As most of #tcod knows I have recently been on a Quest to beat all the Kirby games that I own in chronological order. (For those curious, that would include: Dream Land, Adventure, Dream Land 2, Super Star, Dream Land 3, 64, Nightmare in Dreamland, Amazing Mirror, Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad, Super Star Ultra, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, Return to Dreamland, and Dream Collection (actually, I only own Adventure, Super Star and Dream Land 3 through Dream Collection).) As of this post I am on Canvas Curse.

My talkings about Kirby in #tcod led me to realize that a lot more TCoDers than I'd known about played Kirby games! I knew Adriane and Kiru were big fans but then a lot of other people were chiming in saying all the Kirby games they played and their favorites and stuff. So I felt like making this.

My thoughts on various Kirby games:

Most people laud Super Star as being one of, if not the, high points of the Kirby series. I disagree. As a game on its own, I find it excellent - the minigames are just long enough to be engaging, but not so long that beating all of them takes forever, and there's a lot to be said for the diversity of the minigames. But as an entry in the Kirby series, it doesn't stand out a lot to me. I find Kirby's Dream Land 3 to be a far superior SNES Kirby game, and even Kirby's Adventure (or Nightmare in Dreamland, if you prefer) is a far more replayable game, to me. (Though it could just be nostalgia talking - Nightmare in Dreamland was one of the first Kirby games I owned.)

My favorite Kirby game is a toss-up between Amazing Mirror and Epic Yarn. Amazing Mirror was the first Kirby game I owned and I still find it an absolutely excellent game (even if I do have the entire game's layout memorized and I can beat it in two hours flat...) and I'm seriously, seriously hoping HAL makes another exploration-based game like this one. As for Epic Yarn, it has the most replay value of any of the Kirby games I own as far as I'm concerned (though having just played Adventure for the first time, that title is debatable...), it's got a beautiful design and presentation, and it manages to balance fun and challenge in a great way.

I used to think Nightmare in Dreamland outclassed Adventure for the sole reason that it's a remake. But now that I've played Adventure for the first time, I find Adventure a much better overall game. Even playing it now its graphics and some areas of the game (Butter Building's spinning buildings, anyone?) manage to wow me - I can see how this game pushes the limits of what the NES was capable of! Nightmare in Dreamland sadly lacks the same sort of beauty (although, with GBA graphics, it does manage to be pretty in an entirely new way - just one that's not faithful to the original style of the game, I feel).

I played Kirby's Dream Land 3 for the first time only a few days ago. The art style was absolutely beautiful and the gameplay really complemented it, I felt. It had more than a few legitimately challenging platform sections and I loved every second of it. I don't have the same natural attachment to it that I do to Amazing Mirror and Epic Yarn, but it is a gorgeous game and definitely one of the best entries in the franchise.

That's all I have to say.

KIRBY!!!! I love the Kirby games (and I think actually own them all through that Dream Collection haha) and I actually got one of my friends into them! (we powered through Epic Yarn and got stuck in Return to Dreamland hahaha)

One of my favorites is 64 because power combinations are great (I don't mean like the elemental bombs/swords (other things maybe?) in Squeak Squad, I mean like THE DRILL AND THE FRIDGE AND GIANT KIRBY-FACE-CUTTER), plus some nostalgia because it's the first Kirby game I owned (and still haven't beaten haha)

Other than that I am REALLY fond of Epic Yarn because it's ADORABLE and definitely has good replayability by way of extra levels and 100%ing and minigames (however silly they are)

I've played Nightmare in Dreamland, Amazing Mirror and Canvas Curse - or Power Paintbrush, I should say, hehe. They're really charming games, but I guess they're not challenging enough to keep me entertained for long these days. I nevertheless managed to spend countless hours on those three games when I was younger. Also, wow, that must have been about seven years ago. How are these games so old? How am I so old? Hrrm.

Now where's Furiianda?

Nightmare in Dreamland was my favorite, though that's mostly because it was the first one I played. It was so much fun playing and replaying! I liked Super Star Ultra, though it got pretty boring after a while. I think I played Amazing Mirror as well, though I'm not sure if I played to the end of it. That was the one where you'd have three NPC Kirbies that were red, green, and yellow, right?

OH YEAH I TOTALLY FORGOT TO ADD my ten-year-old cousin got Epic Yarn maybe two weeks ago, so she's been messaging me (from her iPod) with random statements and asking for help, I just FaceTime'd with her so I could help her find the CD in Mole Hole. It was kind of the best thing ever and super adorable.

Although I'm not a massive Kirby fan, I did enjoy Super Star Ultra, and I also played a little of Return to Dreamland.

My younger brother, on the other hand, LOVES the Kirby series - he even mostly uses Kirby in SSBB. (For what it's worth, I do enjoy using all three Kirby characters in SSBB.)

Kirby is a pretty awesome series.

The only problem I really have is that there /aren't that many of them/. I wish there were more.

To bring up something else, is anyone else here a fan of Kirby Air Ride? Because I am. It's a very fun game, like MarioKart without the whole ruining friendships thing.

Crystal Shards is easily one of my favorites in the series, if only for the ability fusion in the game; turning Kirby into fireworks never gets old for me

much as i enjoy Super Star and Dream Land 3, i can honestly say i much prefer Return to Dreamland over those. it's so much funnn

also, not mainline kirby, but Kirby's Dream Course and Block Ball are fun as HECK

To bring up something else, is anyone else here a fan of Kirby Air Ride? Because I am. It's a very fun game, like MarioKart without the whole ruining friendships thing.

My sisters and I played that ALL THE TIME for a while and made up really weird plotlines for the city thing. We also attempted to brutally murder each other in-game

I played Air Ride exactly once, about half a year ago when some friends brought it over. I thought it was a pretty good game, but not enough that I really considered buying it for myself.

Also, Flora! I remembered that you'd said once some time ago you'd beaten Canvas Curse (that stuck in my head because I was positive it was literally impossible, then I saw that post and I was like WHAT IS THIS SORCERY) so I went to go find the post and.

Flora said:
finally completed Kirby Canvas Curse. it only took six freaking years :D

Zero Moment said:
How does KCC take six years????????

Flora said:
Because fifth/sixth grader me (and any-grade other than almost-twelth-grader-me) sucked.

Was it the subgames? It was the subgames, wasn't it. My file sat at 99.2% for something like five years because of those blasted subgames. Paint Panic was my *favorite* and even then I couldn't score higher than an E rank, leading me to believe it was literally impossible. (Beating Block Attack with an AA ranking on my first try yesterday should perhaps have shown me otherwise, but I hate Block Attack so...) I have since been proven wrong! (Now, my only question is, can I 100% Super Star Ultra... I've 100%'d every other Kirby game I own, even Mass Attack!)

Also, Flora! I remembered that you'd said once some time ago you'd beaten Canvas Curse (that stuck in my head because I was positive it was literally impossible, then I saw that post and I was like WHAT IS THIS SORCERY) so I went to go find the post and.

Was it the subgames? It was the subgames, wasn't it.

I had to go looking for my Canvas Curse game because I barely remembered this. (And then it decided to go missing so I can't check but then I remembered)

Hahahaha I didn't 100% it I can't even get all the medals. (Though I'm actually vaguely okay at the subgames!)

I've only 100%ed Squeak Squad. (I should work on Epic Yarn...actually I should probably BEAT it first. I have beaten it but it was a friend's Wii cause we Co-oped awesomely)

aaa i love the kirby series! epic yarn and crystal shards are my favourite, and air ride is pretty great too! i need to 100% lots of kirby games too, let alone beat them.

I've only 100%ed Squeak Squad. (I should work on Epic Yarn...actually I should probably BEAT it first. I have beaten it but it was a friend's Wii cause we Co-oped awesomely)

Kiru says you need to 100% 64 because reasons. :p Also I say go for Canvas Curse because it's a ridiculous(ly awesome) challenge and 100%ing it was one of my favorite video game accomplishments ever.

aaa i love the kirby series! epic yarn and crystal shards are my favourite, and air ride is pretty great too! i need to 100% lots of kirby games too, let alone beat them.

this is true.

Also on another note I beat Squeak Squad earlier today, and then promptly ran back through Extra mode in just over two hours. I don't think it's given enough credit. As a regular Kirby platformer (aka any Kirby game where you play as a single Kirby that can jump, fly and suck up enemies) it's pretty uninteresting (the constant Squeak interference and the touch-screen gimmick aren't really enough to help it stand out), especially sandwiched between the glorious Amazing Mirror and the all-the-fans-love-this-one-for-some-reason Super Star Ultra (or, if you prefer - even Return to Dreamland is more memorable). But I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to. The environments were the most varied I've ever seen in in a Kirby excepting maybe Epic Yarn (come on, there's a level called Jam Jungle! The closest any other Kirby game gets to an entire forest level is probably either Big Forest from Dream Land 2, which I don't really remember all that well, or the Sub-Tree Area from Great Cave Offensive), the backdrops were much more gorgeous than I remembered, the original music is damn catchy (and the remixes were good choices - the Candy Constellation remix is quite possibly my favorite Kirby song ever), and - here's the part I love - there were a bunch of little details that I felt were very well done. Between bosses having different damage animations depending on the type of attack used, to stuff like being able to cut or burn grass, Spark traveling on metal surfaces, Ice freezing water, Fire cutting up the clouds, and Tornado and Wheel picking up ice and lava, I felt like the environment interacted with Kirby in a way that felt really fresh and pretty damn enjoyable! The game itself wasn't anything special - a return to the typical straightforward level design after Amazing Mirror and a lack of true DS support even after Canvas Curse really did leave a lot to be desired, I don't deny that. But I felt like there were just a lot of little details that made the game fresh and enjoyable even though it really is kind of forgettable. I guess I just wish they had made the game itself as fantastic as all the little details are, if that makes any sort of sense.

(tl;dr Squeak Squad is not excellent but has some absolutely wonderful details.)

Kiru says you need to 100% 64 because reasons. :p Also I say go for Canvas Curse because it's a ridiculous(ly awesome) challenge and 100%ing it was one of my favorite video game accomplishments ever.

I know EXACTLY WHY I SHOULD 100% 64 (that being said i might beat it without because the cutscene that plays if you don't cracks me up)

I know EXACTLY WHY I SHOULD 100% 64 (that being said i might beat it without because the cutscene that plays if you don't cracks me up)

how dare you. why would you leave Ripple Star to suffer under dark influences any longer than it has to. I am disappoint >:/

also: I have reached Mass Attack on my Kirby quest. Mass Attack is probably the hardest of the Kirby games I own to 100% (yes, Canvas Curse took me several years, but once I got it down I discovered it wasn't actually as challenging as I'd previously believed), since in addition to beating the game and collecting all the Medals (some of those Medals can be kinda tricky!), you have to beat every stage without taking any damage. Which may sound trivial at first... until you get to the miniboss rush stage. And the bosses themselves. And some of the more gimmicky stages. Yeah, it's... not an easy feat. I pulled it off the first time I played the game because I am the Determinator, but it's taking a toll on me now.

I'm also attempting to beat Helper to Hero in Super Star Ultra with each of the Helpers, because - again - Determinator. (After this, I plan to do the unofficial "hardest mode" - one health, one life, extra mode - on Dream Land.) I'll be keeping my status updated in case anyone's interested in seeing just what absurd abilities I am managing to beat it with.
Current record: all the helpers \o/

Last edited:
LOL...shoulda saw this thread before starting one of my own D:

Kirby is awesome tho. I've enjoyed his games a lot^^

Back
Top Bottom