• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Help on putting a gimmick on a site?

DarkAura

loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts
Ok, on a site I go to (The one I adertised), we're trying to find out a way to get new members. I suggested fake cheats for Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, anything nintendo. They said it would bring haters. But I think fake cheats are a cool Idea, along with real ones. That being said, I want your guys' opinion on whether or not fake cheats would be a good idea.

So what do you guys think?

I think you're only going to get angry people showing up to complain about how your cheats didn't work.

Spreading disinformation is extremely uncool.

Its for entertainment; not for knowledge. The site is also having real cheats on it. The fake cheats would have a large notice saying "All cheats are fake and trying them and expecting them to work is futile. This is made only for entertainment purposes."

I... I don't see any real purpose doing them on BG then, Michelle. :/ I mean, it all truth, it would be a virtually pointless thread on there for pointless reasons. Mainly taking up space and cluttering up Bramble Gamers. How would trying out cheats you know full-well won't work be, I quote, "for entertainment purposes?" I just don't see the entertainment in it.

It would be for entertainment for someone to look at the fake cheat and go "Hey, thats pretty clever". It could be for people who have nothing to do and would get a kick out of reading it.

What would be clever and interesting about them though? Why would anyone want to read about how if you talk to Bill 600 times and then press ABABAABABABA you'll get some Pokemon that doesn't exist, knowing upfront that it isn't true?

The only reason fake cheats were funny to see in the first place is because they were usually submitted to sites meant for real cheats (usually more like 'tips and tricks' in pokemon's case), so the reaction is something like "hahahaha they let this one through???" or "lol I bet a bunch of little nine year olds are trying this and wondering why it doesn't work". The content of the fake cheat itself is rarely funny, unless it's one of those ones that say your pokemon will drop acid and professor oak will be banging your mom when you go home.

(This doesn't mean you should make a section of your site for real cheats and load them with fake ones, either. Then you'd just get pissed off people.)

It's not something I'd personally find very entertaining. To me it feels like something along the lines of marquees of doom and whatnot - things popular sites started doing ten years ago that became bandwagon fads. I think you might be able to come up with more genuinely entertaining content.

That said, if you do choose to, at least make them somewhat entertaining. I can think of pretty much every Pokemon related fake cheat (talk to so and so X times, catch such and such Pokemon then take it to some place, etc). These fake cheats to me are hit and miss - some of these are kind of interesting (like "Get Calvin and Hobbes" and "Giant Aipom") and some just make me scratch my head (like the ones that let you visit Hoenn in Gen 1 or whatever, or anything that involves Mew).

Why would anyone want to read about how if you talk to Bill 600 times and then press ABABAABABABA you'll get some Pokemon that doesn't exist, knowing upfront that it isn't true?
...I would.
The Cave of Dragonflies is a great site, and it has a fake cheats page. These are quite entertaining/amusing for me, personally. It's all opinion though.

EDIT: But don't use overused ones or versions of them like:
Get Mew (1)

First, get six level 100 Pokémon in your party. Make sure they are all final-form Pokémon. Then, teach them all Strength. Go to the truck by S.S Anne and make all of your Pokémon use Strength in turn. Then push the truck and Mew will be there!
Make up your own clever gimmicky ones, such as:
Make the Townspeople of Goldenrod flee from a giant Aipom

First, obtain an Aipom. Raise it to level 100 without it getting KO'd. Breed the Aipom with a Steelix. Even if the Aipom is a boy, they baby will be a giant Aipom. Go to Goldenrod. Release the giant Aipom. Go outside, and there will be crushed buildings. The giant Aipom did this. Goldenrod is destroyed. If you want to save Goldenrod, you need to find the Giant Aipom in the wild, and make it faint within a month. If you do this, Goldenrod will be saved and have an underground city called New Goldenrod. Wattson from R/S is helping them get electricity down in New Goldenrod. Down in New Goldenrod, there are a lot of Voltorb and Electrode. There are also Teleporters that go to all of the places in Kanto or Jonto you have never been before.

Those are both from TCoD main site. But remember to put in huge letters that they're fake, otherwise (as technosexual said) they will get very pissed off.

Last edited:
Screw it, BG had a 3:1 vote and put real cheats instead of fake ones. (Also applies to hints, glitches, and easter eggs)

I would have liked to put the fake ones because it would have been entertaining to see...*sigh*

Didn't see your edit. Anyway, That's what I was planning to do, to put that all are fake in large letters. I was also planning on making my own...

Even though I already said no to the question,
BG doesn't need something like that. It'll bring haters. I made the cheating archive so we would get members. Not for haters, for members.
And BG isn't a cheating site, it's a video game forum.

Fake cheats are mostly funny in context with all the actual fake cheats that used to get thrown about. I made the fake cheats section on TCoD as a parody of all the obviously fake, overly elaborate cheats out there at the time, but there honestly isn't much in the way of that fake cheat rumor mill anymore - all the hackers picking the game apart for any secrets and so on have pretty much eliminated the room for mystery in which fake cheats sprout.

So yeah, I don't think making fake cheats is especially interesting now, really. :/ They don't have the context that originally gave them their humour value, really.

Back
Top Bottom