The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Pokémon > Pokémon Video Games > Upcoming Games

Notices

Old 10-19-2016, 03:30 AM
pew

Pronoun: he
Green is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon

yeah, the (SPOILER) low amount of new mons is kind of a bummer since i skipped gen 6, so going straight from big ol unova to alola might not be awesome.

good thing my team will just end up being 6 alolan dugtrios anyway. kinda sucks that it's one haircut away from the 3 stooges. i guess i could name it He-Man...

shiny orangoro is TOTALLY grape ape
Old 10-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Emperor of the Nerds

Pronoun: God of stuff
Kung Fu Ferret is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a bit disappointed that there aren't any new fossils.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 AM
beep beep coming through

Pronoun: Any
Kratos Aurion is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu Ferret View Post
I am a bit disappointed that there aren't any new fossils.
The Hawaiian islands are volcanic and only formed a few million years ago. It's not impossible for there to be fossils of some kind, but you're not going to see any extinct dinosaurs or mammoths or anything there. Considering how much attention they're paying to things like Hawaiian culture and actual invasive species, it would've been weird if there were native fossils.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Emperor of the Nerds

Pronoun: God of stuff
Kung Fu Ferret is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos Aurion View Post
The Hawaiian islands are volcanic and only formed a few million years ago. It's not impossible for there to be fossils of some kind, but you're not going to see any extinct dinosaurs or mammoths or anything there. Considering how much attention they're paying to things like Hawaiian culture and actual invasive species, it would've been weird if there were native fossils.

That is a very good point. I never thought of that.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:14 AM
Mystical Furball

Pronoun: any
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

So I've really decided to split my efforts between Sun and Moon - on the former I think I'm going to use a team of Alolan variants of Kanto-native species, and on the latter I'll do a team consisting solely of new 'mons. I'm a bit let down by the relative lack of total new species, but much like Kalos this region seems to have a lot of quality rather than quantity.

I'm also super excited for the latest trailer and everything revealed in there. (SPOILER) Cynthia coming back is literally my favorite thing, and the fact that she was the first to pop up in the video might be rather innocuous but feeds my hopes for Sinnoh remakes. <3
Old 10-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Witch of Light

Pronoun: She
sv_01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was quite worried when I first saw the design for Incineroar. When it finally got to Bulbapedia, I was like "Yay, it's not Fighting!"

Yay!
Old 10-30-2016, 11:19 PM
Mystical Furball

Pronoun: any
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_01 View Post
I was quite worried when I first saw the design for Incineroar. When it finally got to Bulbapedia, I was like "Yay, it's not Fighting!"
So as far as types, I really like all three combinations, but I'm not particularly enthused by any of the three designs. This might be the second generation in a row in which I leave starters off my team completely. Alola has some solid designs and more than enough to build a team I love, but I'm not sure about the starters.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:54 AM
has a BONE to pick with you

Equinoxe is an unknown quantity at this point

PSA for everyone buying a digital copy of Sun or Moon: you can already buy and preload the game to your 3DS so you can start playing the moment it releases in the Eshop (only do this if you think you can handle the game icon relentlessly taunting you ever time you boot up your console :'D ). Plus (at least for us Europeans, dunno if other regions get the bonus), you get a code for 12 Quick Balls after the download. :O

and dragged into a careless life with nothing else to do
waves don't often mean their anger
Old 11-12-2016, 07:03 AM
busy dizzy lazy

Negrek is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know where I can find gender ratio information for the pokémon in Sun/Moon (including leaks)? I've seen plenty of posts of stats, learnsets, evo data, but I'm looking specifically for info on the gender ratio. For example, (SPOILER) I'm guessing that the legendaries and ultra beasts are all genderless, and probably Magearna? Minior and dhelmise are probably genderless? Is the bounsweet line all female? And so on.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:15 AM
The finchiest of widgets

Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Stryke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrek View Post
Does anyone know where I can find gender ratio information for the pokémon in Sun/Moon (including leaks)? I've seen plenty of posts of stats, learnsets, evo data, but I'm looking specifically for info on the gender ratio. For example, (SPOILER) I'm guessing that the legendaries and ultra beasts are all genderless, and probably Magearna? Minior and dhelmise are probably genderless? Is the bounsweet line all female? And so on.
I do know that (SPOILER) Salazzle has a 100% chance of being female, and the starters have their typical 7:1 male to female ratio, but that's all I've managed to uncover.

Last edited by Stryke; 11-12-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:01 PM
beep beep coming through

This Google Doc has the gender ratios in addition to pretty much everything else.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:10 PM
busy dizzy lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos Aurion View Post
This Google Doc has the gender ratios in addition to pretty much everything else.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:00 PM
busy dizzy lazy

Sooo, now that the lucky among you are going to be getting the game in a few hours' time (or perhaps already have the game, if you found a less-than-legal download), what are your plans? Have you got your team all worked out yet, or are you planning to make something up as you go along? Want to use a bunch of new pokémon, or take advantage of all the older goodies they stuffed into the Alola 'dex? (Seriously, we have HOW many fossils and pseudo-legendaries??)

I'm not going to get my copy until Saturday, since I hemmed and hawed over preordering for so long that it eventually became moot, so I'll go in for my free card and poster instead.

As usual I want to make a team with as many new 'mons as possible. This is what I'm looking at:

Decidueye
(Midday) Lycanroc
Salazzle
Palossand
Golisopod

Golisopod's spot is kind of a free space. I like the design quite a bit, but I might end up going with silvally there instead, depending on how/when we end up getting ahold of it in-game. Drampa's another possibility, if I can get a trade for it in a reasonable amount of time. Vikavolt's another possibility, and something that I imagine's going to be in my party all throughout the early game at least.

And then, of course, there's my one concession to past generations... The most fabulous of all Alola forms... Indeed, probably the most fabulous of all pokémon...

All in all I think this looks like a fun, balanced team to play. It's unfortunate that Spoopy Sandcastle and Fantastic Hair overlap types, but Spoopy Sandcastle and Fantastic Hair are kind of the most important members of the team, so nothing I can really do about that.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:28 PM
The finchiest of widgets

Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Stryke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrek View Post
Sooo, now that the lucky among you are going to be getting the game in a few hours' time (or perhaps already have the game, if you found a less-than-legal download), what are your plans? Have you got your team all worked out yet, or are you planning to make something up as you go along? Want to use a bunch of new pokémon, or take advantage of all the older goodies they stuffed into the Alola 'dex? (Seriously, we have HOW many fossils and pseudo-legendaries??)

I'm not going to get my copy until Saturday, since I hemmed and hawed over preordering for so long that it eventually became moot, so I'll go in for my free card and poster instead.

As usual I want to make a team with as many new 'mons as possible. This is what I'm looking at:

Decidueye
(Midday) Lycanroc
Salazzle
Palossand
Golisopod

Golisopod's spot is kind of a free space. I like the design quite a bit, but I might end up going with silvally there instead, depending on how/when we end up getting ahold of it in-game. Drampa's another possibility, if I can get a trade for it in a reasonable amount of time. Vikavolt's another possibility, and something that I imagine's going to be in my party all throughout the early game at least.

And then, of course, there's my one concession to past generations... The most fabulous of all Alola forms... Indeed, probably the most fabulous of all pokémon...

All in all I think this looks like a fun, balanced team to play. It's unfortunate that Spoopy Sandcastle and Fantastic Hair overlap types, but Spoopy Sandcastle and Fantastic Hair are kind of the most important members of the team, so nothing I can really do about that.
Speaking of which, here's a handy team planner with all the Alolan Dex 'mons.

Anyway, my team thus far is
Decidueye
Turtonator
Drampa
Alolan Golem
???
???

(I have no idea what to put here- new 'mons, old 'mons, Alolan 'mons- because there are just way too many great pokemon to pick from. I'm thinking MAYBE Toxapex and Pink Oricorio for balance, but I'm definitely open to suggestions!)
Old 11-18-2016, 03:41 AM
beep beep coming through

I don't generally plan out teams since I prefer to let things happen organically; definitely going to try to stick to new things and maybe some Alolan forms, though. All I can say for sure is that I'm gonna have decidueye, and then one of either passimian or kommo-o; I'll probably do kommo-o but if passimian shows up first and I get attached to it then that's cool, too. Golisopod is also a very strong possibility, especially since we don't need to worry about making HMs usable so I can finally use water-types with terrible special attack yaaaaay. If I do use an Alolan form, it'll probably be either ninetales or Hanson up there, but I dunno if I'm going to.
I may also end up taking solgaleo along, solely because it amuses me that it's an evolution. Beyond that, who knows? :D

Now I just need to make sure I've got a handle on NaNo before they arrive in the mail sometime tomorrow because I told myself I wasn't allowed to play before finishing the day's wordcount. I will probably cave, of course, but I'm trying to be semi-productive!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Goddess of Death

Pronoun: she
Raiden is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to plan my teams based on what Pokémon the Gym Leaders, Elite Four and Champion are using... but now that they've all been removed, the entire "strategizing" point is moot and I'll probably just use Pokémon as I catch them.

I know Kommo-o will be going on my party in both games, and Alolan Ninetales in Sun.

lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom

"Doing the deeds of evil men makes you evil. 'Duty' is not an excuse. Not to your god, or anyone else's." - unknown RPG Maker game
Old 11-18-2016, 11:07 AM
A chickadee in love with the sky

Pronoun: she
Sandstone-Shadow is an unknown quantity at this point

Toucannon!! Toucannon is my new favorite. Toucan bird yes please <3